5.0 out of 5 stars One of Those Classics - Listen to a Story Being Told
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by Thomas G. Griffin IV

3.0 out of 5 stars Good BUT.....
Published on Sept. 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Those Classics - Listen to a Story Being Told, Jan. 22 2004
Thomas G. Griffin IV "Thomas Griffin" (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
This is one of those CDs that really deserves 5 stars - it has variety, artistry, and a sort of odd progression to it that makes it good for studying, the car, doing dishes, etc. The best thing about this soundtrack is that it stands alone musically, and doesn't require the movie to help it make musical sense, something many soundtracks (such as, pardon me, Braveheart) ultimately fail to do, and also provides an amazing variety. Listening to this CD is like going on a journey every time. It sounds like a beautiful story.
A lot of reveiewers are talking about the movie - I only saw it once a long time ago, and didn't think it was that great - I'll just talk about the music. The bizarre pairing of Randy Edelman and Trevor Jones is one that works out very well. The beginning of the CD is fused with more energetic pieces, music that sounds like someone is running around outside in the forest. Then it switches to a mood like everyone is packing for a journey and starting out. Then stopping for water. Then etc. Eventually it goes through multiple transformations and the last tracks wind up as some of the most haunting, moving, and peacefully disturbing score pieces around. And then it ends with the perfect chord that sums up the trip, and makes you want to start it over.
This CD is my favorite soundtrack, and I don't say that lightly. It has been for the last 8 years, despite all the good stuff Hans Zimmer's been putting out.
Give it a try! You won't be disappointed if you're in the mood for a quality composition that tells a tale of it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 20 2014
This review is from: Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
delivered on time with good quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars clannad, Oct. 22 2003
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
Loved the film. Atmospheric. D.Lewis was a very credible Hawkeye. The elder Indian Chingachook? was excellent. The final scene when he bade farewell to his only child Uncas was moving....minimum emotion but powerful. ALso loved the opening ecene when he paid tribute to the deer they had killed for food.
The nobility of the native americans came across...Well done all.
Re`the music...all appropriate. The Clannad song I Will Find You is beautiful...the full version is available on the Best of Clannad...One reviewer described it as `corny` but I couldn`t agree...it is one of the most effective scenes in the film...when Hawkeye, Uncas and his father hunt the renegade Mohawks and the captive girls...haunting and atmospheric.
Freddie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good BUT....., Sept. 6 2003
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
This Cd was much of what I expected. However I was severely disappointed when It came to I will find you- Clannad, which was one of the major factors in me getting this rather than just picking up the score at my local department store. In the movie this particular song is several minutes long with a number of verses, but on the cd they give you 1:42 which is just the first verse, you don't even get the verse for which the song was named.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music is Great; Recording Isn't, June 11 2004
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
I purchased this cd after reading the reviews of this release (original 1992) and the 2000 recording. Most of the commentators seem to have missed an important issue. While the original release is exactly that -- the soundtrack of the movie -- and that music is gorgeous -- the recording of that music is not what anyone with a good stereo system will enjoy. The sound, perhaps ok for theater, and maybe acceptable in Dobly 5.1 -- though I haven't really tried it that way -- sounds monophonic on a decent stero system. There is no real sense of space, very little left and right information, very little depth. The orchestra sounds as if it is playing in a cave and the listener is standing some distance from the cave mouth.
This problem is fairly easily rectified if you have a good audio massage program. CDex will rip the tracks to wave files (.wav) and remix the right and left channels for better separation (J-stereo). Then you can transfer the newly mixed files to a cd-rom for playback in any dvd/cd player. It sounds MUCH better this way -- much more like live music.
But if all this sounds like too much work AND you care about realistically reproduced music, you may be better off purchasing the 2000 release. While I haven't auditioned it except for the online sound bites, it's likely to be the better recording. If you can't tell left from rght channel audio or you like monophonic sound, then by all means, buy the 1992 release.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite soundtrack, May 15 2004
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
For years I have been collecting soundtracks and I have to say that this one tops them all. I never get tired of listening to it! The music is just wonderful! The best I've ever heard! I bought the soundtrack before seeing the movie and as I was listening to the music I would actually picture images that I thought the music was describing in the movie. I finally saw "The Last of the Mohicans" and amazingly, some of the images I pictured were almost the same in the movie. It was very odd. Anyway... if you do not have this soundtrack I highly recommend you buying it. Even if you haven't seen the movie. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Music is Incredible, April 24 2004
Mike Truitt (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
I must confess I am a avid collector of soundtracks. Many times I buy the soundtrack before seeing the movie. I saw this movie about 10 times before buying the soundtrack. I like the music and when playing the CD I relax and close my eyes. The music pulls you in and the feeling is unique. Buy the CD and when you play it the first time turn up the volumn slightly higher than you normally do. The music is unique and timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
This CD is just simply amazing. The music is deeply stiring and it makes one feel like they swept away into the romantic world that Cooper created in his novel. At some points, it as if one can see Hawkeye, Cora, Heyward, Uncas and Alice. All the pieces are powerful their own right, but taken as a whole they piece together a musical quilt that is stunning. The fact that two composers worked on the CD is evident, but it adds a depth that I find to be quite intruging. The last song is a haunting Irish tune that sums up both the CD and the movie very well. It is a must have if musical scores and instrumentals are in one's tastes. Even if they aren't, this is still superb music that is a full sensory experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Soundtrack, Dec 31 2003
Jorge Valenzuela (Chile, South America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
In many TV programs I hear these melodys... ¿Why? IS THE BETTER SOUNDTRACK, specially for the epic and classic style of their songs. My favorites, "The Main Title" and "The Elk Hunt" (a great begin), "Promentory", a classic of the pop music, and "The Courier", short but very wonderful.
Congratulations Trevor Jones by this excelent work.
A classic forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The Last of the Mohicans', Sept. 10 2003
This review is from: The Last of the Mohicans (Audio CD)
The Last of the Mohicans blows all other movies of the year away!
The Last of the Mohicans a the award-winning hit of the year, as it tells about the English-Indian war as the Engish and 3 Mohicans
fight non-stop for their lives. But amist all this fighting,love is found and they will stop at nothing to be together. It is truly a wonderful film.

The Last of the Mohicans
The Last of the Mohicans by Randy Edelman (Audio CD - 2012)