4.0 out of 5 stars Another band that fell through the cracks, April 1 2004
This review is from: Quietest (Audio CD)
A Ten O' Clock Scholar's first (and only, apparently) album Quietest is a distinctive collection of noisy indie rock with many twists and turns. Here's a band that did things their own way and had little regard for the mainstream, thank goodness. The lyrics are literate and inspired - these guys are clearly into their sci-fi films and probably aren't the type that goes club hopping and watches MTV incessantly.
I first discovered this band after reading about the Grass label in an underground rock magazine - after that I picked up the Grass Of '96 compilation and heard ATOCS's song "Infant". Most of the bands on this CD and the label were excellent - it's too bad the label was sold and became the pop/rock label it is today (Wind-Up).
This is one of those albums that sounds better after repeated listens - they are more noisy than much indie rock on the market and the results can be quite jarring. But it's one of those albums that grows on you - some nuances come out that you might not have noticed before and you start to dig out the hooks that are buried underneath the dissonant guitars.
In summary: I highly recommend this album if you can find it. It disturbs me to see the type of stuff that sells albums out there while bands like this languished in obscurity. If you like bands like Pavement but wish they had a more intense sound, you'll definitely enjoy A Ten O' Clock Scholar.

5.0 out of 5 stars great music for quiet people, March 9 2002
david banner (Grafton, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quietest (Audio CD)
i saw these guys when they were still together
and they kicked...very dynamic the levels
to the music is amazing it's a shame they broke up
so do yourself a favor and get this
steve bright is there bass player and he's now
in a band called OHIO CASCKET if your ever in
dayton ohio check them out!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It took me 3 years of patient listening to get this..., Nov. 1 2001
This review is from: Quietest (Audio CD)
and I know thats probably not a drop in the bucket for some
(most) of you. Before I was always yakkin yak yak away about "yah well Nick Cave's Let Love In took me a whole year"
but this is really something.
What to expect from this CD--first time I listened to this my cat
Random, a normally docile fellow (he's really fat) came up and actually bit me.
Second time around, neighbors called the cops on me around noonish...I mean--they were getting (...)about it, my boombox was on 2 (it goes up to ten).
Since then Ive pretty much stayed clear, except now and then, and I begin to hear the Brainiac in it. I begin to hear the Pavement through the heaviness. And you do get to like it, and man you feel so alive when its all over.
Are these guys still makin albums or what?
Im gettin a death wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S GREAT!!!!!, Oct. 10 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Quietest (Audio CD)
Sounds are well blended and the artists performed well!

ARRAY(0xc0eb0de0)

Quietest
Quietest by Ten O'Clock Scholar (Audio CD - 1996)