biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vd2016beauty Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 4, 2000
The background on how this work was composed is quite interesting. In 1977 the cardinal of Krakow now Pope John Paul commissioned a work to be done to celebrate the 900th anniversary of martyrdom of the patron of Poland St Stanislaw . that along with with the fact that the work hit the top both the pop and classical lists when it was introduced, led me to order the CD. What a dissappointment. I can't figure out how so many reviewers became so enamored with the work.
on January 30, 2004
I just heard this symphony yesterday for the first time and I couldn't believe my ears. It is without a doubt one of the worst pieces of music I have ever heard. The music droned on and on and kept repeating the same theme over and over. Dawn Upshaw has an attractive, even alluring voice but I couldn't wait until the piece was over. I have heard her sing other music which I found thoroughly enjoyable. I can't believe someone in their right mind could compose such a horror as this. If I have to listen to this piece ever again, I will become a mental patient. For those who claim to like this music, I say God bless you!
0Comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse