5.0 out of 5 stars Enigma is the best
Published on July 6 2004 by tracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely enchanting
Who have not heard of Engima?
I first heard about Enigma when I was at 12 year old. The hit Song Sadeness Part 1 was a wordwide success. That strange song captured my young and curious heart so I bought the cassette wanting to hear more of their sound. The music I can say is very very dark. After a few listening I got so scared that I decided to throw the cassette...
Published on Aug. 20 2002 by Daryl Tay

5.0 out of 5 stars Enigma is the best, July 6 2004
tracy (Atlanta, Ga.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
I remember when i bought the first Enigma cd MCMXC AD i couldn't get enough. I have listened to this cd (no Lie) about a thousand times. It is sexy and pleasureable to the mind and ears. This is music you can really feel. I remember when i just couldn't wait for Enigma to release more of their music. Now I own every cd they have made. Every song on every cd I love, Enigma can do no wrong (or make a bad song). All cd's are my favorite I love Enigma I can't choose just one cd. I hope Michael Cretu continues to make music till he dies. Everyone I've introduced to Enigma has turned out to love it. Thanks Michael Cretu keep putting out the CD's and I'll keep buying.
Definately invest your money and your listening pleasure in Enigma. If God made music this is what it would probably sound like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was it REALLY that controversial?, May 19 2004
Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
Back in 1990, while I was still working in radio, a program director who shall remain nameless demanded that I pull the single "Sadeness" off the air because he thought it was "blasphemous." I was kind of dumbfounded, because I found it to be contemporary and original, and not in the least bit obscene. Just the kind of antidote to the blandness of the New Kids On The Block kiddy pop and dump truck loads of Whitney/Mariah clones being force fed to radio at the time. Of course, like any young buck worth his artistic salt, being told "NO" only made me want to find out more about this "Enigma" cat.
Once I got the full CD, I could understand how the easily shaken were getting their dander's flaked by Enigma. "MCMXC A.D." was the first album that used the fresh idea of mixing new age keyboards with chanting Monks and giving them the kind of rhythm that would work as a slow grind on the dance floor -- or more important -- late night nasties in the bedroom. Then there was the "Sadeness" video, which pictured a rather religious looking fellow as he dreams/hallucinates about a sultry looking woman and beams of light. Yup - just the kind of thing to turn the album into a nocturnal classic, dance floor smash and a magnet for those prone to censor that which might ruffle their too fragile sensibilities.
Surprisingly (or not), the album holds up pretty well all these years later. Tidal waves of imitations flew up in "MCMXC AD's" wake, but none (save maybe Deep Forrest) ever made much of an impact. You can also probably blame/credit Enigma for making top sellers out of the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos (remember 1994's "Chant"?). With all that has been going on in music since, "MCMXC AD" seems almost quaint, but this album remains an artifact from the end of the new age decade. And it still gets played in my playroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, March 6 2014
This review is from: Mcmxc Ad (Audio CD)
Love this album, but someone stole my original CD. Very pleased to have found a replacement copy. After 20 years I still enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, Nov. 22 2013
If you don't know this band, then most likely you don't know much about music. Highly recommend to have this one on Vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Nov. 3 2013
This review is from: Mcmxc Ad (Audio CD)
This is the album that put Enigma on the map, I was hooked the first time I heard any song from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Sept. 22 2013
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
I received this item as expected and had no issues with my order. I had this album on audio cassette from the early 1990's and finally decided to upgrade to a CD. I have always and will always love this album - it is perhaps the most sensual music I have ever heard. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Chill, June 2 2009
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
A band which only had a short life but many incarnations. This is the album to listen to if your mood is sad, sensual or seductive. Turn down the lights and hit play and float with the sound. In a darkened room, soaking in the tub, or relaxing with your lover this hits every button. I've been listening to it since it was released and am slowly converting the world....

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, emotional, sensual piece of art, May 16 2004
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
Enigma is probably best known as the band that introduced Gregorian chants to dance music (though, in actuality, many bands had been doing this for several years in Europe). I must admit, that is one of the key things I remembered about this release. But after listening again to MCMXC a.D., I remember much more. For those people who understand and appreciate the power of music to enhance mood, this release is an experience in sensuality. Layered with religious symbolism, lush female vocals, spoken word (often in French), sounds from nature, and sensual beats, Enigma takes the listener (or listeners, as this release is also enjoyable with a companion) on a journey of self actualization, inner peace, and outward passion.
The release begins with "Voice of Enigma", a soothing intro to the album. Not really a song, this short piece places the listener in a relaxed state of mind which helps one best enjoy the remaining 40+ minutes.
The next song, "Principles of Lust," allows one to slip into deep relaxation and sensual exploration. Clocking in at over 11:30, this is actually a combination of three songs that flow together. a. "Sadeness" is Enigma's classic and first big hit. It is very sensual and relaxing, however at the same time it is stimulating and encourages one to be tactile. b. "Find Love" starts off as a sensual, atmospheric piece that floats all around the listener. Then it moves to a funky beat that is very assertive and more active. Also known as "The Principles of Lust." c. "Sadeness (Reprise)" returns the listener to the feelings in "Sadeness." However, the additional piano is very deep and stimulates one to be reflective.
"Callas Went Away" makes me think of young lovers who have stolen away from the village into the woods at dusk for a lovers' tryst.
"Mea Culpa" grabs one's attention and provides a sense of urgent desperation. The beats, the chant, the marching footsteps, and the rain make one feel like one is trying to escape from someone or something. This is a very powerful song.
"The Voice & the Snake" is discordant and disturbing, shaking one violently from a relaxed state. Fortunately, it is only a little over a minute and a half, ending the discomfort quickly.
"Knocking on Forbidden Doors" gives one a sense of need for control and for asserting oneself, strongly yet with a gentle, loving touch.
"Back to the Rivers of Belief," which concludes the release, has three parts. a. "Way to Eternity" slows one back down, allowing one to become calm and reflective once again. b. "Hallelujah" reintroduces the rhythm, allowing one to slowly again explore one's inner (or outer) senusuality. The tinkling bells are like a soft rain falling to the ground, or perhaps on oneself. c. "The Rivers of Belief" is a sensual, relaxing conclusion to the album. Whether shared with oneself or with another, this song helps reaffirm the love and passion one feels for oneself or one's partner.
This is an excellent release, especially for those who understand and enjoy the power of music to enhance the mood, whether one is alone or with that special someone. A sensual delight, MCMXC a.D. deserves a strong 5 star recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the world of Enigma!, April 27 2004
This review is from: Mcmxc A.D. (Audio CD)
First of all credit to Michael Cretu, he's a real genius who's been around for so long. Beening part of Moti Special and german group Sandra back in the 80's and later working with artists in France. He started off as a keyboard player and as far as i know is very gifet on a gift instruments, he wrote songs and he produced them. But it wasn't before he created Enigma in 1990 that his talent for writing/producing really shined. "MCMXC A.D" is a realy masterpiece of ambient music.
THE ALBUM
This was the first Enigma album and probably the best. Cretu mixed old Gregorian music with Dance rhythms. There are also drums and horns and haunting voices on the songs. The album starts with a intruduction what is all about "The Voice of Enigma" introduce us to the world of Enigma, slow meliodic music for relaxing and medetation. "Sadeness" their most famous song is a prime example of that. A slow song with monks singing sacred lyrics. It's beautiful but at the same time a good dance song. "Mea Culpa" is simular, but with some more drums. "Callas went away" follows the same path but now with female lyrics, it kinds of reminds me of the latter "Dream-Dance" BT and Robert Miles must have been influented here. The remaing few songs also continues in the way it all started with it's own special melodies and passion. "MCMXC AD" is a very beautiful and unique album. It's great relax music but more then just a album you put on when you clean the house. The songs do have a meaning. You should defenitely take a trip to Enigma's world.

5.0 out of 5 stars It took a while of listening..., April 9 2004
This review is from: Mcmxc Ad (Audio CD)
My dad bought this CD a long time ago and he has just abought every enigma CD there is. I was not always a very big fan of enigma and now is probably the only time I thought their CD was any good. It just took a while of listening and now it's one of my favorite new age albums.
The very first song I heard from the album was "Back To The Rivers Of Belief". I thought this was a very good song and I was surprised that it was not included on the greatest hits because I thought it was their best song. Enigma uses electronic music in the background along with gregorian chants but sometimes you just here regular singing. The album starts off with "The Voice Of Enigma" which is like the introduction to their music. The next song "Principles of Lust" has three parts to it: Sadness, Find Love and Sadness[reprise]. Sadness is my second favorite on the album and it is my favorite in that section. "Callas Went Away" features a unusaul kind of singing and it includes some of the same parts from the returning silence of the rivers of belief. "Mea Culpa" is also an electronic piece featuring more gregorian chants. "The Voice and the Snake" also has a strange use of singing in it. "Knocking on Forbidden Doors" is also a good song. I also noticed that there isn't really a break in between their songs, one song kind of goes into the next. I don't think I've ever heard another musician do that.
The extra tracks include new editions of Sadness, Mea Culpa, Principles of Lust and The Rivers of Belief. But mostly they sound the same as the originals.
I think that if you're into new age music then MCMXC A.D. and the greatest hits would be great albums to buy. I have learned from listening to this album that some of you're favorite albums can be ones that when you first heard you didn't like so you should listen to albums for a while before you decide whether you like it or not.

Mcmxc Ad
Mcmxc Ad by Enigma (Audio CD - 1993)