5.0 out of 5 stars Every Word of Praise is TRUE.........
Published on Feb. 25 2002 by Richard J. Bair

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Very Good...Some Not So Good
I was looking forward to receiving this album more than anything I've ordered in quite some time. The reviews in here are glowing and remarkable, yet I was a little disappointed in the CD. Being I had never heard an Eva Cassidy album and bought it on the strength of Fields of Gold, which is on the Greatest Chillout Album in the World album, it is a so-so album. Fields of...
Published on March 4 2004 by hrcopter

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Word of Praise is TRUE........., Feb. 25 2002
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
As you read through these customer reviews, you're probably asking yourself how can so many customers feel so strongly about a female singer that few have ever heard? I know I was skeptical. I listened to the song samples on Amazon.com and was impressed enough to buy Songbird. From the first moment I listened to it, Eva brought tears to my eyes. This same reaction happens often now when I listen to her. Her voice is supremely beautiful and expressive and her ability to excel in all types of music is unequalled. For example, on "Time after Time", a later CD, she gives us in order: 1) a pop classic that surpasses the original, 2) a melodic country song with fiddle and approprate vocal twill, 3) a beautiful, finger-picking folk song, 4) a gutsy blues song, 5) a deeply soulful R&B song, and6) a traditional gospel song. ALL ARE ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING !!!
As a life-long music fan, I can't understand why "the industry" did not bring Eva Cassidy to the public long before her untimely death in 1996. What a shame that Eva never lived to experience the growing love and devotion felt by so many as they first experience her singing. Yes, it is true. We are truly moved by Eva Cassidy's songs and we want to share our feelings.
I love Eva's voice and the sincerity of emotion beneath the surface of its beauty. I believe she will always bring tears to my eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars songbird, March 16 2014
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
Its excellent. She has a beautiful voice. Its sometimes sad but still very beautiful. Its a nice reminder of how precious life is. And its an essential disc for any music lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, June 18 2013
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
the cd arrived in a good delay and it was in a good state my expectations was ok I d like very much this music

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, May 8 2013
Sharon Dann (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
A beautiful voice giving us songs with such emotion. So sad when you think of this young woman passing at such a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming and charming albumn; easy to enjoy over and over again, March 19 2013
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
Eva Cassidy has a vocal quality that only comes along a few times in a generation of musicians.

Her interpretation of old standards and a few new ones will thrill audiences new and old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Music, Nov. 18 2012
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
I first heard this artist on public radio and was thrilled with her lyrical voice. Her version of "Fields of Gold" is a refreshing choice to that of the original song by Sting; I love her version of "Over The Rainbow"...there are other songs on this CD equally beautiful and soulful. Ideal for dinner music or for quiet time. Highly recommend this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songbird Soars!, July 10 2001
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
I just happened to catch the Nightline story about Eva on July 4. The next day I read many of the reviews of her CDs here at Amazon (thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts). I decided to start by buying this disc (a compilation from other discs). I wondered if the music would hold up to the acclaim. It does! Eva does not disappoint. Wow! Wow! Wow! I kept playing the disc over and over. I took it to work and played it there. I talked to colleagues about her. The music is not great because she has a fantastic voice, the music is spectacular because it's so pure, so free, so soul-full. I love this CD, especially the final track, Somewhere Over the Rainbow...I just don't think it can be better than this! I've ordered 2 more of her discs and can't wait till they arrive. Thank you, Amazon, for making her music available. Thanks to all who wrote their reviews of her albums. And thank you, Eva. God bless you. As long as her music is available, she lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful voice i the world, Oct. 29 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
Forget the calculated pop garbage of Mariah Carey. Forget the over-produced muck of Celine Dion. If you want to truly hear a beautiful voice that doesn't require over-the-top arrangements and lots of hair spray, you MUST hear Eva Cassidy.
If you first glance at the song list on the "Songbird" CD, some of the titles seem, to put it frankly, totally avoidable. "Over the Rainbow." "Wade in the Water." Songs that have been remade and remade until you may think nothing new could be added to them. Eva Cassidy was able to take these songs and turn them into something new and worthwhile. Her rendition of "Over the Rainbow" is absolutely breathtaking....moving, perfectly sung, emotional, understated. Her version of this tune perfectly captures what she was capable of...taking a song and totally making it her own.
The song choices range from traditional tunes like "Oh, I Had a Golden Thread" to contemporary numbers like Christine McVie's "Songbird." But Eva Cassidy was able to take this variety and work it to her advantage; despite the fact that "Songbird" is actually a collection of songs from three previously released albums, the performances are amazingly seamless and this makes the album as a whole a million times better than the overdone, poser pop that invades U.S. radio.
The most amazing performance here is her achingly beautiful version of Sting's "Fields of Gold." The song is made all the more poignant byt the fact that Eva Cassidy lost her battle with melanoma in 1996 at the age of 33....so when she sings "you'll remember me/when the west wind moves/among the fields of barley," it will easily bring a tear to the eye. Simply amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a perfect ten, July 19 2004
S. Gould "gouldpjaks" (Woodmere, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
I believe I'm writing this more for myself than for readers who can look at five hundred previous reviews. I was so moved by Eva Cassidy's songs that I want to share my thoughts with everyone. I recieved a copy of 'Songbird' from my sister in law. I rarely prefer a second version of a familiar song so I was hesitant to even listen to this CD which included some old favorites. Then I had to take a long drive and had nothing new to listen to, so I listened to Eva. I was stunned. The music really got to me and I had not seen her or heard Eva's tragic story. I've since purchased all Eva's CDs and enjoyed each as much as the first. It is difficult to describe the impact of listening to Eva Cassidy for the first time. I doubt anyone will ever forget the experience. She is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 stars out of 5....., June 9 2004
D. Pawl "Dani" (Seattle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) (Audio CD)
The beautiful, irreplaceable Eva Cassidy died at the young age of 33, leaving behind a treasury of beautiful and bluesy songs she reinvented with her beautiful voice, guided by an intuitive grace. SONGBIRD is like no album I have ever heard. It has a quiet strength, not unlike Eva herself, that sets it apart from all folk, jazz, blues and pop albums.
The first cut, "Fields of Gold," was made completely unrecognizable from Sting's original. The words took on a different meaning for me, and Eva's melancholy voice made me think of those moments of solitude in the early morning before life begins to emerge, where you can truly be alone with your thoughts in introspection. Eva also has an amazing talent for pumping even more soul into the blues, R&B, gospel and jazz songs she interprets on the album. ("Wade in the Water," "Wayfaring Stranger," "People Get Ready,")
Of course, one of the most well known tracks off of this collection is her arrangement and interpretation of "Over the Rainbow." This truly brought tears to my eyes! When I finished listening to it, the yellow brick road and Dorothy were nowhere to be found.......all I could see was Eva, surrounded by her beautiful light and energy that permeates throughout this recording.
This album will change the way you think about music. Please listen to the samples and make your call. Believe me, this will become a frequently-played part of your CD collection.

Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks)
Songbird (W/4 Live Tracks) by Eva Cassidy (Audio CD - 2003)