5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BIG SEA, good roots, good tunes, Feb. 18 2000
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
I first heard about Great Big Sea from this smaller band called Guster. Great Big Sea opened for them last year. This group is totally amazing...they have a good mix of folk tunes and of originals on all of the albums. The thing i love is that you can hear the folk influence very prominently in their originals as well as their folk tunes(that are so energetic they are almost impossible not to move to.) Their live shows are equally amazing, and the production is just perfect. They haven't sold out, just grown with their popularity. They are getting huge up in Canada and are even nominated for a host of awards at the Juno awards. If you like energetic music, folk music, or even just good old fun lyrics definately check these guys out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I be Canadian?, Nov. 4 1999
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to GBS by hearing their US release, Rant & Roar. A friend at work had it, and after I heard it the first time, people started getting mad at me for putting it on repeat constantly. I couldn't help it, I was completely entranced by the music. Now, here at my school, there's a whole crop of GBS fans. I love the energy of their music, you'd have to be dead for it not to brighten your spirits. My family history traces back to Canada, so from my reaction to this music, I think I've got a lot of their blood still in me. As has been said, it makes you want to go be a Newfie! My favorite song on this album is "Drunken Sailor". When I first heard it, I flipped out, then began singing along in a very loud voice. I remember singing this song as a child, and I still can't help joining in every time I hear it. My suggestion is to buy any one of their albums. They're all great, and you'll want the rest as soon as you hear one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, enjoyable update of old Celtic trad..., July 18 2004
DJ Joe Sixpack (...in Middle America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
These Canadian fellas offer an earnest, bouncy mix of upbeat, slightly dorky, soft rock and Celtic-by-way-of-Newfoundland trad, sort of like the Pogues but without all the drunkenness and scary dental work. And, y'know what? It's not bad! There's sort of a relentless, Muppetlike cheerfulness about their debut record which can wear down even the most sniffy and grumpy of traditionalists. And it you're looking for some bright, lightweight pop, this could be a big winner for you. Worth giving a spin.
(PS - This is a reissue of a record originally released in 1993.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Music, Feb. 8 1999
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
This CD is the quintessential crown to any Newfoundland music collection. My boyfriend plays in over and over, and you know what? I enjoy every minute of it! I was born, raised and still live in Newfoundland. You won't believe it, but all those songs about drinking in the kitchen, small community togetherness and good times are true. This place has a culture all our own. I'm so proud that this stellar band has brought the gift of Newfoundland culture to the world.....and you have enjoyed it as much as we do!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars is not enough., July 28 1999
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
As somebody said before, it makes you wanna go out to the sea, it makes you wanna visit Newfounland and specially St. John's... I love them. I'm brazilian, I was in exchange program... I brought here and THEY DON'T HAVE Great big sea here... How cool is that? But if I have to import CD's from canada.... is worth... I know it is... I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars There may be lots of Jokes, but the Newfs can play!, Feb. 11 2000
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
With a few little twists, GBS brought tradditional music from 'Da Rock' to the younger generations and now to all of North America (finally!). Definitely go for this original album or Up, but not beyond because they moved away from their roots - to the point of covering an REM song! Don't get me wrong, REM is great too, but it's not exactly tradditional. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! This is a must buy., June 16 1999
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
If you like Irish/Celtic folk music (with one heck of a Newfoundland flavor) then this is the CD for you. Not as rocked-up as later alblums, just good ole down-home music. One of the few alblums that I can listen to over and over again without tiring of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Fan of this music, Dec 28 2013
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
i just became a fan after seeing them live in concert. this CD is one of the best I have heard as so far. It is toe tapping fun sing along songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic GBS!, Dec 26 2012
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
A lovely mix of old classic tunes with a modern twist as well as new ones! I own all of their other CDs and for some reason hadn't picked this one up until now..now I wonder why I waited!

5.0 out of 5 stars Energetic twist on folk/rock1, Feb. 27 1999
This review is from: Great Big Sea (Audio CD)
This album is great!! It has a lot of nice folk songs that are inhanced by the energy of the guys!! They got me onto that particular type of music!! Deadly job!

Great Big Sea
Great Big Sea by Great Big Sea (Audio CD - 1995)