5.0 out of 5 stars 'The Getaway' --- this music is timeless, April 25 2000
Andrea (Port Elizabeth, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
I have always enjoyed Chris de Burgh's music, although his most famous songs are most often not my favourites. The 'Getaway' is, however, one of my favorite CD's. This is not because it is not famous, but rather because it has a wide variety of songs which are as unusual as they are timeless. Some songs such as 'Living on the Island' sound as though they could have come from one of Chris de Burgh's earliest album's, while there are others such as 'Don't Pay the Ferryman' which are relatively modern. Songs like 'Where Peaceful Waters Flow' (one of my favorites) give one a taste of his softer melodies, while ones such as the 'Getaway' are completely different. This album, I think, has the best mixture of music in any of his CD's. In other words: if you can honestly say that you did not enjoy (or at least stop and think about) one song on this CD, then you have absolutely no taste and really shouldn't be listening to Chris de Burgh, because this is him at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent record from Chris' early career, March 9 2004
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
WHO LIKES CHRIS DE BURGH? HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE THAT TWEE, CRUDDY SONGWRITER?, scream the critics.
Chris De Burgh has undoubtedly been the victim of some unnecessarily bad press since 1986, when "The Lady In Red" destroyed his credibility. What's often ignored, however, is that some of his early records are actually very good.
There's a whole host of great songs on this album - "The Getaway", "Where Peaceful Waters Flow", "Borderline" - laid back ballads that could be mistaken for De Burgh's namesake and one-time chart rival Chris Rea during his own early career if De Burgh's vocals were not totally different to Rea's, all talking about experiences with those close to you, but with none of the slush and pomp that made all his records between 1986 and 1991 unlistenable.
Even if you don't like rock balladry, at least check this album out for "Don't Pay The Ferryman" - a soaring rock ballad, with sniping vocals, rip-roaring guitar riffs, and washes of keyboard all in one - a pure joy to listen to indeed!
Who likes Chris De Burgh, ask the critics? I'll tell you who likes Chris De Burgh - the thousands of people who check out his back catalogue every year, after realising that there's more to this man's music than just THAT song.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Extremely Pleasant Surprise, July 30 2002
S. Heffer "argon78" (West Babylon, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
Back in 1985, my friend Wendy lent me this cassette by Chris DeBurgh, an album she knew nothing about when she bought it except that she liked the cover, but it was such a good album, she was lending it out to all her friends. Skeptical as I was, (I knew the song "Don't Pay The Ferryman", but had no idea who Chris DeBurgh was), I popped it into my tape deck and proceeded to be pleasantly surprised...
Serendipity had brought this beautiful, romantic, provocative album into my tape collection. I really enjoy the fact that these songs, for the most part, very well hold their own listened to individually, while at the same time fit together as a whole album very nicely. The songs are very well written, especially the romantic ones, which I suppose is a specialty of Chris DeBurgh (i.e., "Lady In Red"). In that vein, "All The Love I Have Inside" and "I'm Counting On You" are really pretty songs. The song "Where Peaceful Waters Flow" and the mini-song suite consisting of "Revolution", "Light A Fire" and "Liberty" beautifully evoke the poignancy of peaceful people being forced through oppression to military solution for freedom's sake. These songs are the heart of the album and part of what makes it so good...Oh, and there's the hit "Don't Pay The Ferryman" which is probably all most people remember from this album...It is a very good song, but not, by far, the best on the album. "Ship To Shore" is a really good song too.
I suppose the one drawback for this album is the fact that a couple of songs just do not do it for me personally - they are just rather ordinary...not necessarily bad songs, just unexciting...These are "Living On The Island" and "Crying and Laughing".
But otherwise, this is a really good album, one which at the same time takes you places and provokes thought. Almost every song is beautifully written and sung...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hook, Feb. 10 2001
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
A fan of medieval history, historical and high fantasy fiction, Don't Pay the Ferryman, with its video and mythological/Shakespearean references, caused me to spend what little money I had as a sophomore in high school (1982) and buy the 45. I played DPTF over and over again before finally deciding to flip the single over and hear what was on the other side. And from the very first "water drops" of All The Love I Have Inside, I found myself an immediate Chris De Burgh fan. That night I scrabbled together my pennies and nickels (okay, I'm dramatizing here, but not by much!) and begged my Mom to take me back to the mall so that I could buy the album. I brought it home, and began a love affair with his music.
DeBurgh tells stories with his music, and being an avid reader, it was easy to find an appreciation for his music. A romantic sap, it was also easy to relate to his ballads, which he writes with authority.
I'll go back to this CD from time to time, and I find the songs that I still listen to the most are: Ship to Shore and All the Love I Have Inside -- passing strange that the song that served as the hook (Don't Pay the Ferryman) doesn't elicit the same feelings now that it did then. Not that I don't still enjoy the song -- far from it! -- but those other two have passed the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Peaceful Waters Flow, Feb. 22 2000
Jason Stein (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
This album came out in 1982 and I remember the video for "Don't Pay the Ferryman" on MTV--yes, back in the days when MTV would play an artist like Chris De Burgh. I bought the tape in 1984 and ever since have been a fan. In CDB's entire catalogue I have to say that The Getaway and Man on the Line are his two most rocking albums. They are concise, brief pop excursions. The Getaway is slightly better than Man on the Line though. The 12 tracks on The Getaway show how diverse CDB can be. From rockers to ballads, the storytelling is interesting, never dull. His later works are bogged down with trite adult contemporary pop and less adroite storytelling. The Getaway is a nice change of pace and doesn't sound like it was released in 1982. It still holds up after 18 years. It's worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up, July 1 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
Really good stuff. One of his bests. This album is the bridge one between his modern works and his earlier, wonderful story telling stile. It is really a must not only for Chris fans but also anyone who listens to music. GET it. You will thank me

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 31 2013
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
Chris De Burgh is not only a wonderful musician and singer but an extraordinary story teller. His words come alive off this album. A must listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Nov. 10 2014
This review is from: Getaway (Audio CD)
I love this albumfrom the irish singer with intelligents songs and a beautiful voice.

Getaway
Getaway by Chris De Burgh (Audio CD - 1985)