5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Krall at her best: She sings! She plays! She swings!
Published on Dec 26 2001 by Trentcanuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to DK...
If you're a fan, it's interesting to go back and here some of her early songs she covered that she still plays at concerts. Tracks "frim fram sauce" which honestly I never liked. But there are some good ones on here:
straighten up and fly right
i'm just a lucky so and so - very good
42nd st
as long as i live
the others are good to but i really...
Published on Dec 5 2002 by Hafid Saba

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Krall at her best: She sings! She plays! She swings!, Dec 26 2001
Trentcanuck (Regina, SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
This is a great CD: vintage Diana Krall before the marketing folks at GRP Records got ahold of her career. Unlike her three most recent albums of "easy listening" music, which see her talents as a jazz singer and pianist well hidden, this album swings! Unlike the overly-breathy sultriness of recent efforts, her singing style here is strong and effortless, reminiscent of Shirley Horn or Rosemary Clooney. Her playing, even at this early stage of her career, is melodic and complementary to her vocal phrasing. I owned the original release when it came out in '93, and just bought this remastered edition, which is well worth it. The sound quality was already just fine, but this new version is better yet, with increased detail and soundstage. Best of all, there is a bonus track, which was omitted from the original release, and is a real treat for a longtime Diana fan. After the disappointing schmaltz of Love Scenes and The Look of Love, it was exhilarating to hear a new track of Ms. Krall singing and swinging again!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrefined vocals, but swinging piano and trio work, May 15 2002
Tad Ulrich (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
After viewing Diana Kral's outstanding DVD, "Live in Paris", I've grown to appreciate what an outstanding talent she is and how far she can still go, particularly when compared to her initial cd, "Stepping Out."
"Stepping Out" is Diana Krall's first album and in many ways is still one of her best, particularly because of its pure jazz sensibilities. Here, her vocals are not her strong suit. While clear, heartfelt and energetic, they are also often brash, harsh and annoying. But compare her here with her recent singing and you are impressed with how far she has come and what a fine singer she is today (she needs to focus more on her piano skills).
Along with John Clayton on bass and Jeff Hamilton on drums (her idols and still a mainstay in her regular group) she has created a cd that reminds me a lot of early 1960's dates for labels like Roulette, Prestige and Blue Note. She is clearly trying to say "I'm a jazz musician first and foremost and I want you to listen to all of us swing."
And it works. She gets into a fine groove on "This Can't Be Love" and "On the Sunny Side of the Street", two of my favorites. There are also straight instrumental tracks, something she has not done since, such as "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", "42nd Street" and "Big Foot" where Clayton and Hamilton get some room to stretch out. Diana's own style is a veritable who's who of modern jazz pianists including Monty Alexander, Ahmad Jamal and Bill Evans among others.
True Diana Krall fans will want this one. Those who are more inclined to her excellent, but more pop oriented "The Look of Love", may want to skip "Stepping Out."

5.0 out of 5 stars In some ways preferable to all her other albums, March 8 2002
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
This earliest of Diana Krall's albums (circa 1993) is in some ways the most assured. Before she was pegged by so many as a sultry babe who just happened to also sing and play piano, she recorded "Stepping Out." The freedom any artist has before fame cocoons them is in ample evidence here. Her playing is foremost in many ways here, rather than her justly praised voice. The piano-playing here sounds sprightly and assured, and her voice is undeniably a fiesty, looser version of the smo-o-oth singer we know today.
"This Can't Be Love" is a funny question of a song in which Krall wonders how come this is love when she feels so good. On Duke Ellington's "I'm Just a Lucky So-and-So," Krall swings and torches with a wink of good humor at the bald-faced smugness of the lyrics ("And when my day is through/Each night I hurry to/A love that's faithful, I know/I guess I'm just a lucky so-and-so"). There's even a purely instrumental song here ("Big Foot"), which is not something you're going to find on any other Krall albums. It's nice to hear her light touch and appreciate her as a pianist above and beyond her singing capabilities.
She takes more chances vocally on this album than on any subsequent efforts, and that's exciting--it gives us a glimpse of the singer Diana Krall may go back to being once she moves past the Ice Queen/Glamourpuss stage she sometimes seems stuck in at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rave reviews from a fellow jazz pianist and vocalist, Feb. 25 2001
Jonathan Feldman (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
I'd like to add my enthusiastic praise for this album, from one who has been influenced musically by Diana Krall. My group, the Jonathan Feldman Trio, has an album out (Straight Ahead and Blue), and we perform jazz standards and Chicago blues. Since I both play the piano and sing, I naturally turned to Diana Krall for ideas, and I have not been disappointed. I never get tired of listening to this album, and we now perform three selections from Stepping Out in our gigs (including As Long as I Live, the Harold Arlen tune -- I agree with the reviewer from Kalamazoo who mentioned what a great tune this is). The two things that I love most about this album: first, the joy that she and her trio bring to the music. You can tell that she loves the music, and that joy is infectious for the listener. Second, she is a very bluesy piano player (with Oscar Peterson influences), and I find her bluesiness the perfect approach to these selections. In sum, a great CD, and one from which her fellow musicians can really gain inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who woulda thunk?, May 19 2000
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
Someone in the LA Times used the phrase "jazz-lite" to describe Krall after she won the Grammy. I guess if it's melodic and beautiful it can't be jazz-hevi -- even if it swings down to your big toe. Baloney! Diana is the best thing to hit jazz for a long time. And others feel that she is the wrong color to do real jazz. It don't make no difference. Oscar Petersen, another great Canadian, is Black and a guy. Krall is white and a gal. It don't make no difference. Louis Armstrong once told me there is only two kinds of music: good and bad. This "early" album shows that Diana has had it, that is the God-given genius to make good music, nearly from the beginning. Unless a bus hits her, she's gonna be around far longer than I will. Strangely,I like that thought. It warms me like a good Bonded bourbon, sort of lke Diana's soft, smokey voice warms me. BB

5.0 out of 5 stars May become the greatest ever, March 12 2003
david holmes (Duncan, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
Diana Krall is headed for vocal jazz immortality.Her singing is right up there with the best of the past, added to her piano work which none of her predecessors could do. She can only get better, there is always a little room for that, but she will ultimately be the greatest.

4.0 out of 5 stars All Krall, Jan. 2 2003
Samuel Chell (Kenosha,, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
If you're interested in undiluted Krall and not the Cosmo cover girl, this session is the ticket--her most swinging, inventive, spirited album. Whereas on her subsequent albums, she would keep to "contained" Nat Cole melodic lines and Bill Evans chord voicings, here she reflects some of the exhuberance of Oscar, the rhythmic space of Ahmad, the playfulness of Monk, the funkiness of Silver. Vocally, she covers a greater expressive range as well, though admittedly her tones are often harder, more forced and pinched, than on her later, more popular recordings. But don't be surprised if, 5 or 10 years from now, much of the Krall in evidence here resurfaces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Jazz and on from there................., July 30 2000
Nancy M. Peck (Hayward, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
There isn't anything I don't like about Diana Krall and her music. She is the most refreshing and the nicest thing to look and listen to in a whole lot of years, an entire generation, even. I loved her from the moment I heard her first piece........"Peel me a Grape" on Calif. Bay Area Radio Station KKSF---103.4. Just a few years ago. The rest just gets better and better, can't go through the day without listening to her! Steppin Out displays her enormous piano skills----SHE IS JUST SO GOOD! It's hard to focus on just one album. Stepping Out takes you through the moods and completes the feelings that the soul of Jazz demands of you. VERY NICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballad Standards Refreshingly Redone in Superb Arrangements, Nov. 4 2000
Steven Pozza (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
Diana Krall is currently the top female jazz vocalist-musician on the scene today. This album, her debute, proves why. I know of no one even non-jazz listeners who dislike her. Her arrangements matched with her smooth sexy, sultry voice are Jazz standards performed at their best. No strings in these arrangements to get in the way. Only piano, bass, drums & that voice. Buy this one and every other cd Diana has out. All her albums are pure Jazz perfection. I know of no venue of Jazz and no single performer who you can listen to over and over and over again without tiring than Diana Krall!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stepping Out, Sept. 16 2011
M. MacGregor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stepping Out (Audio CD)
I own eight CD's and two DVD's of Diana Kralls. Stepping Out was her first CD and I purchased it to compare. I was not disappointed. She certainly is an amazing talent from the beginning and it is a pleasure to listen to the CD's and enjoy her performances on the DVD's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›