Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on May 15, 2002
After viewing Diana Kral's outstanding DVD, "Live in Paris", I've grown to appreciate what an outstanding talent she is and how far she can still go, particularly when compared to her initial cd, "Stepping Out."
"Stepping Out" is Diana Krall's first album and in many ways is still one of her best, particularly because of its pure jazz sensibilities. Here, her vocals are not her strong suit. While clear, heartfelt and energetic, they are also often brash, harsh and annoying. But compare her here with her recent singing and you are impressed with how far she has come and what a fine singer she is today (she needs to focus more on her piano skills).
Along with John Clayton on bass and Jeff Hamilton on drums (her idols and still a mainstay in her regular group) she has created a cd that reminds me a lot of early 1960's dates for labels like Roulette, Prestige and Blue Note. She is clearly trying to say "I'm a jazz musician first and foremost and I want you to listen to all of us swing."
And it works. She gets into a fine groove on "This Can't Be Love" and "On the Sunny Side of the Street", two of my favorites. There are also straight instrumental tracks, something she has not done since, such as "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", "42nd Street" and "Big Foot" where Clayton and Hamilton get some room to stretch out. Diana's own style is a veritable who's who of modern jazz pianists including Monty Alexander, Ahmad Jamal and Bill Evans among others.
True Diana Krall fans will want this one. Those who are more inclined to her excellent, but more pop oriented "The Look of Love", may want to skip "Stepping Out."
on January 2, 2003
If you're interested in undiluted Krall and not the Cosmo cover girl, this session is the ticket--her most swinging, inventive, spirited album. Whereas on her subsequent albums, she would keep to "contained" Nat Cole melodic lines and Bill Evans chord voicings, here she reflects some of the exhuberance of Oscar, the rhythmic space of Ahmad, the playfulness of Monk, the funkiness of Silver. Vocally, she covers a greater expressive range as well, though admittedly her tones are often harder, more forced and pinched, than on her later, more popular recordings. But don't be surprised if, 5 or 10 years from now, much of the Krall in evidence here resurfaces.
on February 3, 2001
I have just purchased this album. I also purchased
I have just purchased this album. Also bought, "When I look into your eyes. What a difference 8 years makes huh? Fantastic Artist. I love both CDs. It is difficult to choose between them, however, as a Clavinova player I would have to place When I look into your eyes at the top. Diana, I'm sure that you will top it with another winner! God has certainly blessed you with superb talents. Long live your talents, so that you may continue to share them with us.
on December 18, 2000
Those who are fans of her later works should definitely check out this first album. Even in '93, she sang and played with total confidence. Afficionados will particularly note the early recording of "Frim Fram Sauce," which also appears on "All for You." Here's, it appears in a much slower version. Listen for yourself and decide which one you like better.
This album is a preview of Krall's slow, expressive style that becomes more fully developed on later recordings.
on April 30, 2004
I found and bought this CD after collecting the subsequent 4 recordings. I thought it was great fun to go back to the beginning. I love the slightly "rough" quality of this CD - I agree it is more playful, the piano tracks have more bounce and with Hamilton/Clayton, they must have had great fun recording this, because that's the quality that comes through. All For You may be my favorite to date however.