5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, hey, and away we go!
This CD is an instant good mood for me. It is one of the three CDs that own two copies of - one for home, and one for the office. (The others are Yes - Close to the Edge, and Rush - Permanent Waves. Is there a pattern? I doubt it.)
Published on July 8 2004 by Rod Doe

3.0 out of 5 stars Really?
I bought this CD because of the reviews - my sound card in my computer isn't working and I wasn't able to listen to the previews. I should have spent my money towards a new sound card. I agree that this band sounds like they would be a fun band to see live, but not worth spending the money for a recorded version. Every other song on the CD is a high-energy, pub song - but...
Published on Oct. 23 2002 by smileydog

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, hey, and away we go!, July 8 2004
Rod Doe (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
Great Big Sea's recipe for success is to take traditional Newfoundland maritime folk songs, whose roots may be from Ireland, Scotland, or French Canada, and add 'spice it up'. For example, the song Mari-Mac on this album was a traditional song that got a healthy dose of testoscerone in the GBS rendition. The hidden track on this CD is a rap version of the poem 'The Jolly Beggerman'. Another artist from the Canadian Maritimes, Ashleigh MacIsaac, did the same sort of thing with his rather hard-edged (but fun) 'Hi, How Are You Today' album, but GBS pulls it off in a way that both your buddies and your mother can enjoy.
We use this CD for a lot of different purposes. My kids (ages 7 and 9) put certain tracks on 'Repeat' and dance for a half hour or so (they especially like the hidden track). On St. Patrick's Day, I snuck 'The Night Paddy Murphy Died' into our on-hold music at work, and callers asked to be put back on hold. Numerous Chinese friends have used the tongue-twister lyrics in Mari-Mac as their English test - if you can understand that, you're ready for anything.
In summary, if you're looking for great party music, some beer-thirty on Friday night music, something to get you through your commute in a good mood, or something to wake you up and get your feet moving, then this CD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshinly new musical experience for this rocker., Nov. 13 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
My musical taste has generally been hard rock and it was getting old and tired for me. I live in Massachusetts and I caught Great Big Sea doing an outdoor live concert from snowy Marble Mountain, Newfoundland on my satellite receiver.
I couln't believe my ears. I had been looking for something new and this band was proud, bold, rockin and entertaining like no other band I've ever known.
I can only best describe the music as happy, whimsical, and spirited. Music you can sing-a-long to, dance to or relax to. I obtained their first three Canadian CD's, Great Big Sea, Up and Play and I became a serious fan.
Their US release of Rant and Roar is a fantastic compilation and more of some of their best music. There is not a single lousy track. I highly recommend you buy the CD and you'll find yourself playing it over and over, again and again.
I love them so much, my wife Donna and I traveled to Halifax, Nova Scotia to see them perform. Don't miss a chance to see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compliation CD., Sept. 19 2013
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
Good mix from their second and third CD's. Glad to have purchased it to complete my GBS collection. Well done boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, Nov. 27 2012
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
A great exploration of Celtic music. Has a good selection of this Canadian band's best tunes. Huge fans of the genre will surely like this one

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll probably get caught singing along..., Oct. 27 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
A great album. It's like a "best of" UP and PLAY, GBS's latter two albums. I saw them live a few years ago in Prince Edward Island TWICE, the first time when they were called a 'party band' in a bar... not too many people showed because not too many people heard of them. I bought the album UP because I LOVED the music. Then I saw them again (this time the tickets were $20 instead of $8) and they were a sellout to a loud and dancing crowd in Charlottetown. That's when I first heard General Taylor, and the band got a standing ovation after singing it because of the power in the song. Even though I listen and love every song on this album, my faves are Ordinary Day, When I'm up, Mari-Mac (in concert they sing it faster and FASTER and FASTER), End of the World (Great version), Fast as I can (One of the first songs I ever heard by them), The Night Pat Murphy Died (My fave song on this album... this is how I want to go), Goin' up (Everybody loves this song), General Taylor (of course), Lukey (How can you not get caught singing along with this one?), The Old Black Rum (Ho ho ho... gotta LOVE this one) and Rant and Roar (perfect song to end the album like they ended UP). Buy this album people... if you want good music to sing along to... even if you DON'T like Celtic music... you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, true music for a music fan..., Jan. 30 2004
"cmtulo" (Drexel Hill, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
These guys opened for the Chieftans (with Sinead O'Conner) in 1998. I saw them in San Diego and had no idea who they were. They stole the show, poor Chieftans.
If there's only one comment to make about this album, its that it will put you in a good mood. As people have said in the other reviews, it WILL cause you to sing along. I have a convertible, and I'm sure there are farm animals across the country who know all the words to Rant and Roar now.
But seriously, these guys have a great energetic delivery with enough parts gravel and enough parts silk. There are different singers and enough song variety that, after seven years, this is still my favorite CD. Do I need to say more?
In case you're wondering what my music tastes are so you can match up whether or not you'd like it... here goes:
I like alternative rock. I just don't follow pop-rock and will always gravitate towards classic rock. I appreciate good singer-songwriters. When I want to listen to finely crafted symphonies, I will listen to finely crafted symphonists like Rufus Wainwright or Mark Knopfler(Dire Straits). When I want brainless entertainment, then its Mosquitos or Puddle of Mud. If I want to get revved up Love and Rockets or System of a Down will do the trick. When I want to get mellow, I'll listen to Tom Waits or Marc Cohn. When I want to listen to music that makes me feel good or if I just don't know what I want to listen to, then I'll put on some Great Big Sea. There's a time and place for everything, GBS's Rant and Roar somehow finds its time and place more often than anything else I own and has now for seven years.
Basically, if you're the type that would read this far, then you'd like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets really annoying and cloying after a few listens, Dec 10 2003
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
I was really surprised to find that Amazon reviewers seem to love this CD so much.
As some reviewers have said, it is catchy! But so is pop, which is music I generally try to avoid. I think that the test of truly good music is that you can listen to it again and again and it continues to move you and speak to you. This falls really flat on that scale.
OH THE VOCALS! Now I don't know the members of the band, so fans forgive me. They seem to have two vocalists, one who does a lot of the upbeat stuff and another who handles ballads. The first is harsh, the second has no edge. Neither really convince you of their talent, and they struggle to hold pitch. As a musician, that just drives me nuts--they sound like amateurs.
There are highlights-"General Taylor," "Old Black Rum," and the title track come to mind as pretty good songs. Another reviewer called "Night Pat Murphy Died" his or her favorite song on the album, and it has to be my least favorite. If it were really celebrating Patty Murphy's life (with drinking, etc.) as a wake should, then it would be fun. But it's really about just about a bunch of alcoholics... a guy died, and we're making fun of his widow and using his coffin as a refrigerator.
"Fast as I Can" is a good message, but I just can't get past how the harsh songs get grating and the ballads get cloying after just a few listens. The catchiness fades, and leaves you feeling empty. Really, people, you deserve to listen to better music than this.
When you're in a musical rut and need to be jogged out of it, this CD would do a good job... just don't expect it to keep you there. Great Big Sea has its place, but a lot of its appeal is lost on a CD--it is better suited to playing at a local pub. You can drink and have fun and not have to pay attention to all of the bad things that I mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GBS Collection, Feb. 24 2003
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
The US release that takes the best stuff from their 2nd and 3rd Canadian released. A great introduction to the band, and full of fantastic tracks. Well worth it for any fan of traditional or modern celtic/folk/rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy happy happy, Feb. 4 2003
Stephen J. Friedl (Yorba Linda, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
This is just a great album: very upbeat music in a wonderful genre, it's overrepresented in my playlist. This album is a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and Enthusiasm, Jan. 23 2003
C. Mitchell "wcbm" (Bronxville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rant and Roar (Audio CD)
This band is HUGE in Canada. Get to know them before they become the next big thing here in the states. This is great music performed with skill and enthusiasm. On this album the band was new at recording and the songs were young to them. If you listen to these early versions then get 'Road Rage", you'll see how many of their songs have grown and matured under the nurturing hands of these four mates. A DVD of some of their best live performances is due out later this year. (Thanks, Joanne!) If you see it, you will be hooked. Their approach is simple - they DON'T perform a concert - they play and sing and expect you to sing along. Don't worry, you will.

Rant and Roar
Rant and Roar by Great Big Sea (Audio CD - 1998)