4.0 out of 5 stars The Son Also Rises
Published on Feb. 1 2000 by S. Ihadi

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good
While the lyrics imply that he has taken on some of his fathers pain, it appears that he has all the emotions to be a great songwriter. You will find yourself searching for the words. His voice is nothing like his fathers, however it is soft and strong - very pleasant to listen to. I'd say Adam is on his way to much success.
Published on Jan. 5 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Son Also Rises, Feb. 1 2000
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
Adam Cohen is a fortuante man with a heavy burden on his shoulders. He is fortunate because everyday he can watch himself in the mirror and say to himself "Your father is Leonard Cohen". But he has also decided to follow his father's footsteps and that's not easy not now or say a hundred years from now! This freshman album succeeds admirably. The songs are intelligent and some thinking has been put into the lyrics. My wish is that he'd continue to write (and next time around alone)and experience life and write based on his experiences and not what the top 40 Radio wants to hear! I was fortunate to see him perform live and meet him in person. I had the decency not to ask him about his father bacause that was his night. He is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. I know he will do even better in the coming years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, Jan. 5 2003
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars good song writing makes a comeback with adam cohen's cd, Jan. 22 2000
Ron Johnson (Fleetwood, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
This Adam Cohen CD is uncompromisingly good. I hope Adam has more in store for music lovers like me. A friend gave me the CD, but i hesitated to play it because, hearing Adam's music for the first time, I thought it would be commercial and shallow much like a lot of music I hear today. I buy very few new releases fearing the new releases won't compare to the rock I love from the late '60s and early to mid '70's when artists had something to say about the turbulence of the times. Adam Cohen surprised me. Listening to the CD over and over, he continues to surprise me. He's good. Very good. Don't take this the wrong way Adam, but I hope you don't become a big star. If you do, please don't sell out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, May 19 1999
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after seeing the wonderful video of "Tell me everything" and I was pleasantly surprised. Adam is a very intelligent, very talented artist and I love the CD. He has got a gorgeous voice. I do think it is unfair that he is judged by who his father is, but I will say that he very much takes after his father. Adam is just a terrific artist and I hope to hear more from him in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising debut from an exciting new voice, Sept. 11 1998
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
It's no doubt difficult following in the footsteps of a singer/songwriter as beloved as Leonard Cohen. But think, for a moment, about how many friends you have with sons. Are you friends with their sons as well? Or, how many of you are friends with your friends' fathers? Leonard has his generation and Adam has his own. And Adam's generation will no doubt fall in love with this crisp and promising debut. Adam writes radio-friendly, catchy hooks throughout the project, and his lyrics are competent enough on love songs like "Beautiful as You" and "Amazing." But when Adam is irritated, challenged, or downright pissed off, his anger and torment provide a springboard for darkly passionate art. "Tell Me Everything" has him confronting a friend who his girlfriend is sleeping with, "Sister" deals with a friend that dated Adam's sister because it was the closest he could get to sleeping with Adam (a 90's twist on a love triangle if ever there was one), and the chilling "Quarterback" (the album's hands-down best song) finds a disturbed narrator lamenting the love of his life falling for a more popular guy. But Adam doesn't only make good music when he's angry. "Down She Goes" paints a melancholy and touching portrait of a soul on the edge, "Cry Ophelia" offers tender advice to a troubled soul, and the starkly beautiful "Opposites Attract" depicts a less than perfect love affair. The production is eclectic and gorgeous throughout, and Adam's voice is effective in either a low, breathy register or a powerful midrange. No matter who this guy's father is (which, by the way, has as much to do with this project as Bob Dylan has to do with The Wallflowers...think about it), this polished and addictive debut places Adam Cohen with Fiona Apple, Duncan Sheik, and Alana Davis as one of the most promising debuts of recent years. Not that it should matter to us, but I'm sure Dad is proud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adam is not his father. . ., Oct. 2 1998
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
This album, is neither similar, nor comparable to any piece of work by Leonard Cohen. I believe that Adam may be making an attempt, concious or not, to break away from the expectation that he is going to perpetuate his father's legend; not so. This album isn't likely to please anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for 'newer' styles of music, it is often awkward, and utterly brash, but I am almost convinced that that was Adam's intention. It is part of a recent evolution of music, where a large part of the appreciation of the music is the reactions it produces in oneself. In short this album causes you not only to think, but to effect a self-evaluation. If Adam ever approaches the likeness of his father it is in this aspect, his ability to evoke a little thought. His music is by no means a passive experience. Give this album a chance, and you will find this to be true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Catchy! A rising Star!, May 6 1999
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
Adam not only has a great voice but his songs are believable. His lyrics are intersting and really tell some great stories. His beautiful smile is also out of this world! I think and hope we will be seeing and hearing alot more of Adam cohen.
Robyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut, June 1 2001
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
A promising debut, and I think it's about time he releases another album. One thing I don't understand though, is why some people bought this album just because they are fans of his father. This is not Leonard, this is Adam, and he does not try to copy his father in any way. He has his own style of singing and songwriting that is more than able to stand on its own merits. Every song on here is good, although I must admit I am not too keen on "Quarterback". I think it's a bit too angry and crude, but that aside, this album is certainly worth having. the 12 page booklet includes all lyrics.

3.0 out of 5 stars This CD is hazy like it's been awhile, March 28 2005
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
My older sister bought this CD originally as it had came out in late 1998 while I was still in high school. Tell Me Everything is dynamic as it was punchy and still is as it was back then. Him and his backup group have scored another hit on their hands called Eleanor under the moniker Low Millions. Their release is called Ex-Girlfriends. To my surprise, that is another puppy to pick up if you can find it in your music store 'cause that is the sophomore release for early 2005. It has the same meaning like this one but with a backup group and not his own.
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Genes will out...even if it takes awhile., July 29 2002
Elaine Bergstrom (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam Cohen (Audio CD)
I admit that I am a huge fan of Adam's daddy, and that I discovered Adam via the Leonard Cohen home page. As a writer, to me the lyrics are everything, so I bought the CD at a place where I could preview the cuts and make certain I could understand the words. First play didn't impress. Though it is engineered beautifully, it was too pop for my taste. On later plays, the soul hidden beneath the rhythms grew on me. It's now one of my favorites for long drives. In one respect, he is far too much like his father. Adam, how long do we have to wait for CD #2?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Adam Cohen
Adam Cohen by Adam Cohen (Audio CD - 1998)