5.0 out of 5 stars No where else have I found this on ONE CD!
Traditionally, this has always been released as a cumbersome two-CD set. I jumped for joy when I found the entire score was on one CD! The orchestra plays this with much dedication and clarity. People all over the world associate Nutcracker with Russian ballet companies and Gergiev does not disappoint. The tempos are brisk, crisp, electric. The story, whether you've seen...
Published on Sept. 18 2003 by Bath Beach Chick

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Furious
It is true that this is an up tempo recording and as such it steals the moodiness inherent in the ballet as created and desired by Tchaikovsky who would not bow to the sanitised version of the original story. Having danced the role of Clara's Father and the Mouse King, I could not keep up with this tempo. As this piece has the benefit of modern metronome timing there...
Published on Jan. 17 2003 by Jef Savage

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST VERSION I EVER HEARD, Nov. 13 2003
Peter A. Garcia (Mount Ephraim, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
This is the best version of the Nutcracker I have ever heard. I have over 10 versions and this CD is the most true to form of the original score. The Kirov is the original symphony which premiered Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.
The tempo is unbeat as it is meant to be. The sound quality is crisp and clear. This version is a very good gift for someone who truly enjoys classical music. This CD is very hard to find and Amazon is the only outlet which carries it. If you want it for Christmas order it as soon as possible because it runs out quickly.
This review is just a short concise version. If you want more in depth information this site has some excellent reviews which will give you more detail.
Buy it you will enjoy it, expert or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Experience, Feb. 15 2002
Richard Seastrand (Falls Church, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
The performance is excellent - sweet and sentimemtal where it's supposed to be yet firey and passionate where you expect it to be. What blows me away, though, is the technical quality of the recording. Telarc likes to get the mikes in there close so you can hear every nuance. They do that here with great success. Also, the mixing is exceptional. Every instrument right down to the lonely little triangle stands out in high relief. I'll go so far as to say that, using headphones, what we have here is better than sitting front row center. I've bought and heard quite a number of Nutcrackers over the years. The best thing I could ever say would be, 'That's very nice, but...'.Well, I can now say joyfully that I've probably bought my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful performance, Feb. 26 2002
Kurt Randerath (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
What a wonderful performance: The Kirov under Valery Gergiev did their magic tricks again, bringing the old E.T.A. Hoffmann story to life. The children, the toys, Mr. Drosselmeyer, the nutcracker (with qualifications), the mouse king, Clara (the heroine), the Christmas tree, dancing flowers, fairies and everybody and everything else are alive and well in this performance--except of course the mouse king. The orchestra, as expected, is great, better than in any other recording, and the sound of the CD is warm and magical. Now you can enjoy this nostalgic music over and over again in an incredible performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive recording and performance!, Dec 19 2001
Neaklaus (Grand Junction,CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
First of all to manage to fit all the the ballet on one CD is something of an engineering marvel. Second the performers have this music in their blood and it shows it the performance. It is a curiousity that Phillips released this as a single CD, they could also do it with the recording done by Antal Dorati and the
Concertgebouw Orchestra, which clocks in at just under 80 minutes. I think that the Gergiev recording is the most exciting
recording of the work yet released. A must for any Nutcracker fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recording!!, April 2 2003
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
I was very excited to buy this cd, since it was the complete Nutcracker Suite and only on one cd. The orchestra does a very fine job and they may play a little faster than at a ballet, but that's probably just to fit it onto one cd. This is my favorite version of the Nutcracker and I play it year-round. I think my only problem is the cd's cover has a mechanical dog toy on it instead of a Nutcracker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only once in a century, Feb. 25 2004
"scarlatti11" (Killeen, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
Recordings described as the "definitive version" of certain works appear all the time. I see it this way: the modern; "definitive version" or the "Old time" definitive version. If we are looking for the "modern definitive version", STOP LOOKING!!! This is the definitive version for all times....

4.0 out of 5 stars It's almost perfect (almost), June 18 2002
Raul (Madrid (Spain)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
The only thin I can complain it's a tiny defect: in the track 9, at 00:38 second, there is a defect in the sound. I don't know if it's a defect of the record or it's I have de defect copy.
Otherwise, it's a amazing record. The best Nutcracker I've listened. The rithm is a little fast, but it's a COMPLETE NUTCRACKER IN ONE CD. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is hard to give 4 stars or below, March 6 2004
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
excellent!young as Gergiev is,he gave us the best enjoyment of the nutcrack.Seiji Ozawa and Rodzinski disappointed me.And the Finale is as good as Ormandy's.
By the way,Gergiev made good use of the celesta.The recording technik is good enough to show us the details of the ballet.
Thanks to Gergiev and Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY FINE BUT ORMANDY IS BETTER!!!, Feb. 4 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
This is a very fine performance superbly recorded.Yet the Ormandy's performance of the Nutcracker Excerpts is unbeatable.The philadelphian strings are lusher and ormandy brings the fairytale magic like no other conductor does!period.I think Ormandy is the best ever conductor of Tchaikovsky's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, April 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutcracker Complete (Audio CD)
WOW - what a recording - you had better have outstanding speakers for this one

Nutcracker Complete
Nutcracker Complete by Peter Tchaikovsky (Audio CD - 2008)