5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Holiday Experience
One of the things I love so much about the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is that they give you a complete experience that encompasses a full range of emotions. There are the "purely fun" songs, the tearjerkers, the thought-provokers, the nostalgia-inducers, etc, etc.
Published on May 23 2004 by dliamt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music, but to religious for me
Published on Dec 18 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Holiday Experience, May 23 2004
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
Some people here have complained about the mix of genres included on this album. It's true, if you like albums that sound exactly the same from one song to the next, forget this one. On the other hand, if you like great variety, then click "ADD TO SHOPPING CART" right now. Almost every song is in a different style, and sung by different singers, and yet it all gels together extremely well to feel like one coherent performance. The musicianship is first-rate throughout (though I'll admit some of the vocalists feel the need to "act" their parts a little too... um... "operatically"?)
Others have complained that it's too sugar-coated. Well, duh, it's a Christmas album-- sugar is pretty much mandated-- and if you're the sort of person who would even consider buying a Christmas album, then you're obviously not opposed to sentimentality. If you want to hear this band doing some music with more of an edge, go out and buy any of the albums they released under the name "Savatage." The fact that they're able to release TSO albums AND the hard-rock/metal albums of Savatage is a true testament to this band's versatility.
Unfortunately, this album is not quite as strong as TSO's first Christmas album, "Christmas Eve And Other Stories," mostly because it feels a bit too much like it's trying to redo that one. Certain songs are almost direct equivalents, and I often found myself thinking, "Ah, this songs is this album's version of that other song from their first album." Still, it's a great album, and well worth having for anyone who enjoys holiday music. With the vast variety of music styles, there's something for everybody on this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent, but not perfect, Jan. 3 2004
Hector Ivan Corea "Ivan Corea" (Tegucigalpa, FM Honduras) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
Again Trans Siberina Orchestra amaze us with this album called The Christmas Attic, like "Christmas Eve & Other Stories" this album does have the same structure:A summary of the story, and a bit of the whole story before every song wich will help you to understand better. But talking about the music, they have made some changes, this album sounds different than the previous; this one have different styles inside it like blues and rock. Is not better than CE&OS but sure is good. I recommend you to hear some samples before buy it, or download some song (not the whole album) from a P2P program and if you like it then BUY it.
REMEMBER: This album is from a band called Trans Siberian Orchestra wich is a side project of a Power Metal Band called Savatage so if you like power metal it's sure you love this piece of art BUT if you don't like power metal maybe you won't like this album 'cause they put their unique style in the whole album. Of course you don't need to be a metallian to hear this album, my mother like it and she is 52 years old.
So my final quote is: If you like power metal BUY IT, else Try Amazon's music sampler to hear song samples from this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music, but to religious for me, Dec 18 2003
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
For the past couple years I've seen the commercials on TV advertising Christmas music for Trans-Siberian Orchestra. For me, I thought it very reminiscent of Mannheim Steamroller, with its nice jazzy, up-beat tempos. So when I saw two of their albums, "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" and "The Christmas Attic" at my local music store, I didn't hesitate to buy both of them.
If you aren't into Christian music or some of the more religious Christmas carols, you sadly, like me, probably won't like the music. I prefer instrumental Christmas music because I'm not a religious person and although I can do "Silent Night", and others, I prefer not to have to listen to the words. (I must point out that I did like the instrumental pieces) Anyway, The CD is full of music that any fan of Mannheim Steamroller would probably greatly enjoy, with Christmas Carols that have a more religious connotation than I can handle (I think they might be originals as well which was kind-of neat).

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and better than its predecessor!, Dec 11 2003
eeoyrefan (Saint Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
I am astonished that so many people bashed this CD. It is an exhilarating and welcome change from the tired old crooners like Johnny Mathis and Perry Como that we usually hear warbling on the radios at this time of year, or the banal offerings like "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" that harmonize not at all with the peace and beauty that should be part of the Christmas season. It offers a modern generation its first series of quality holiday music it could call its own, and for that, if nothing else, TSO and its founders should be applauded. But there are so many more reasons on this CD for which applause is deserved. The song Appalacian Snowfall is a masterpiece and belongs on Jazz stations everywhere regardless of the season. And if the song "Find Our Way Home", all about regrets in life, doesn't touch your heart I would warrant you do not have one. Yes, some of the vocals are a bit brash, but there is still much to enjoy here. The biggest disappointment I could register is that the Christmas Canon is..., though here imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says hard rock and orchestra's don't mix?, Dec 1 2003
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra continues to make wonderful music. With the success of Christmas Eve And Other Stories, you'd think it would be hard for TSO to top it, but they have. From the inspiring words of "World That She Sees" to the soothing violins on "Christmas Canon", this album is a must-have for anyone who loves Christmas music. Listening to this album, it is clear that TSO could take any Christmas song out there and make it sound even better. These are not all traditional Christmas songs either. There are a few original songs like "The Snow Came Down" as well as the vocals of the magnificent Joe Cerisano on "Dream Child". TSO doesn't just do rock and roll. Anyone who likes jazz music can appreciate the song "Three Kings And I (What Really Happened)" or just soothing R&B with the song "Music Box Blues", both sung by the incredibly talented Daryl Pediford. "Angel's Share" will give you a good idea of just how powerful this group is. "Boughs Of Holly" is just Deck The Halls taken to a whole new level. You can't go wrong with this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, Dec 8 2001
jimmyC (lost in the Allegheny passage) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
I imagine that this album has the most appeal to those already faithful to the power/prog genre and/or guitar rock. However, you don't have to be familiar with Savatage to enjoy this. Rock fan or not, anyone looking for a good Christmas album will find that TSO has created something extraordinary. Orchestral and choral elements complement the (as usual) powerful guitar work (and sometimes the other way around). The acoustic pieces are very emotional and simply brilliant.
The two Christmas albums exemplify the power of TSO's music, and also offer a good introduction to the progessive genre and 'rock opera' in general.
The Christmas Attic is a very solid album meant to be listened to from start to finish. The opening track stands out in my mind, but throughout you will find many pleasant surprises. Although The Three Kings And I doesn't seem to fit in perfectly with the rest of the album, it is still worth listening to. Take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of classic Christmas tunes.
Believe me, these albums are just the thing to help build one's excitement for the holidays... Yet the great part is that one can listen to them at other times throughout the year to rekindle one's holiday spirit. This was the case the first time I listened to them, and to be honest it brought a tear to my eye. As I said - powerful and emotional.
If you like this, you will surely love Christmas Eve and Other Stories. The version with narration, especially, is outstanding.
Merry Christmas, everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, Dec 8 2001
jimmyC (lost in the Allegheny passage) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
I imagine that this album has the most appeal to those already faithful to the power/prog genre and/or guitar rock. However, you don't have to be familiar with Savatage to enjoy this. Rock fan or not, anyone looking for a good Christmas album will find that TSO has created something extraordinary. Orchestral and choral elements complement the (as usual) powerful guitar work (and sometimes the other way around). The acoustic pieces are equally bright.
The Christmas Attic is a very solid album from start to finish. The opening track (Ghosts of Christmas Eve), "The World That She Sees," "Find Our Way Home," and "Dream Child" (which features Joe Cesariano) stand out in my mind, but throughout you will find many pleasant surprises. "Appalachian Snowfall" is reminiscient of "First Snow" from Christmas Eve and Other Stories. And although "The Three Kings And I" doesn't seem to fit in perfectly with the rest of the album, it is still worth listening to. Actually, the live rendition was a lot of fun. The story line isn't as emotional as <i>Christmas Eve</i>, but the songs are so good that I didn't mind at all.
Take comfort in the fact that there are plenty of classic Christmas tunes. These albums are just the thing to help build one's excitement for the holidays... Yet the great part is that one can listen to them at other times throughout the year to rekindle one's holiday spirit. This was the case the first time I listened to them, and to be honest it brought a tear to my eye. As I said - Paul O'Neill has created a powerful musical production.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSO delivers not one, but two GREAT rock Xmas albums!, Dec 10 1999
Eric Tend (Bay Area, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
When I saw TSO on the Conan O'Brien show (1998), I was immediately swept up in emotion and energy of the musical fusion between neo-classical metal and familar Christmas overtones. The next day I ran out and bought both TSO albums! The music rings in the holiday season with beautiful orchestrations, melodies, vocals, and layered harmonies, while providing a natural adrenaline rush that can induce speeding (if driving). Although I am partial to the instrumentals, the clever alchemy of rock, strings, and vision makes it difficult to pick any favorite tracks since all continue to play over and over in my head long after the CD is turned off. Both TSO albums are great musical additions that do not limit themselves to once a year Christmas play ... but rather to year round play. Savatage lives on in TSO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Children's Choir, Sept. 26 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
When I was five, I fell in love with Pachelbel's Canon in D doing a dancing recital to the tune. Three decades later when I first heard the CHRISTMAS CANON on the radio, it happened to me again. Thanks to google search and amazon, I was able to locate this song produced by Trans-Siberian Orchestra within minutes. The children's angelic voice transforms ordinary place and sight into a heavenly, peaceful realm. I would recommend this album simply for the merit of this Christmas Canon version but there are many great hits inside CHRISTMAS ATTIC as well. My children enjoy the new rock-opera twist added to the traditional holiday classics and the story-line unfolded through versatile array of instrumental music and songs. May all that are searching for this song find this pretty glorious album soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trans-Siberian Orcestra and Savatage, Sept. 29 2000
This review is from: The Christmas Attic (Audio CD)
For those of you who do not know this, TSO is actually a band called Savatage that has been out since the early 80's. This is indeed an awesome album, their first album "Christmas Eve and Other Stories was rated in the top 5 of all time for christmas albums.
If you like this style, I strongly urge you to check out these albums by Savatage, Dead Winter Dead (a concept about the war in Sarejevo), Streets (a rock opera), The Wake of Magellan (this album helped out a man to reach his family), Gutter Ballet. All albums I give a 5 star rating to. They have many more, but those are in the vain of thier project Tran-Siberian Orcestra.
Let me remind you that TSO, is a side project by Savatage. You can purchase their CD's at this site.

The Christmas Attic
The Christmas Attic by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Audio CD - 1998)