Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$213.75+ $3.49 shipping

on February 21, 2015
Product description is lacking. Like album but was anticipating more.
on November 25, 2013
Great 60's songs not exactly gold nuggets great songs by the original artists but well worth the money for this cd
on April 17, 2010
I have never written a review about any item I have purchased before, but I just received my Nuggets box set and I LOVE it! You get four CDs of great music, a fantastic booklet with artwork, photos and information about each track, and a beautiful box to hold it all. I have been a fan of the psychedelic era since the 60s, so I already new a lot of these songs (my favorite being Psychotic Reaction by The Count Five), but I have now discovered some great songs that I hadn't heard before like Primitive by The Groupies and The Mojo Men's She's My Baby. Yes, I know there are a few obvious omissions, but there is enough great music here to keep you dancing all day long. I put off buying this box set for years, because of the price, but it honestly is worth every penny. If you're a fan of this music, buy Nuggets! It is a PERFECT box set.
on August 2, 2005
This is the 60's rock I loved the most.Many of the songs I had forgoten the titles and or artist.This box set saves you a lot of time and energy to find all this material. I lived in the Detroit area where these songs played the air waves of the 60's to early 70's but very few are heard on radio any more, even on the so called oldies station's. The same narrow selection of songs are played over and over mostly the big hits and artist get played. Some of my fav. on this box set are Dirty Water,Night Time, Oh yeah,Farmer John,Little Girl,Beg Borrow & Steal,She's About a Mover,Little O'Soul,She's my Baby,Open up Your Door,Just Like Me,Hold me Down,Loves gone Bad,Black out Grety,There is enough music here to make two very solid cd's for the car for those hot summertime drives.
on June 30, 2004
This is possibly the greatest collection that Rhino has ever come up with. I had the original three Nuggets releases that Rhino did in the late 80's/early 90's and they were among my favorites in my early cd buying years. This set eclipses my discs, and adds so much that the extra money spent isn't difficult to think of as an investment. I've found that my favorite songs were mostly from the original three discs;
Lies - The Knickerbockers
Public Execution - Mouse & the Traps
Psychotic Reaction - The Count Five
Let's Talk About Girls - The Chocolate Watchband
Open My Eyes - The Nazz
Incense and Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock
Can't Seem to Make You Mine - The Seeds
Live - The Merry-Go-Round
I've also found some new favorites through listening to this set;
Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love) - The Swingin' Medallions
It's Cold Outside - The Choir
Put the Clock Back on the Wall - The E-Types
What Am I Going Do - The Dovers
7 and 7 Is - Love
Don't get me wrong, these aren't the only great songs in this collection, just my favorites off the top of my head after a quick look through the list. This is a fascinating collection that gives a look at the songs that were regiional hits around the country, but occasionally also made little noise on a national scale. For a box set it's among the best money I ever spent.
on June 12, 2004
Collecting the complete Lenny Kaye NUGGETS double-LP set that has gone down in the history books and adding 3 more CD's chockful of garage/punk/psychedelic classics you've never heard of, the NUGGETS boxed set is better than essential. It's QUINTESSENTIAL, the end-all meet-all of all 60s garage compilations.
Hardcore collectors will champion the PEBBLES and BACK TO THE GRAVE series as a better representation of the genre by unearthing rarer than rare singles, but the NUGGETS set is far more accessible and covers everything from Beatles-wannabes to guitar-slammin' pre-punk to trippy folk-rock to rhythmic vocal showcases. I won't bother pointing out all the highlights, as each disc is a non-stop smorgasbord of excellent music. Only a handful of songs could have easily been left out ("Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen and "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs are a little too obvious, and "At the River's Edge" by The New Colony Six is awful), and if the music wasn't enough, you get a thoroughly researched book packed with essays and track-by-track history on each song, including personnel and record info!
If you don't have this one yet, what are you waiting for?! Shame on you for hesitating this long!!
on May 23, 2004
The original Nuggets double album is THE most influencial rock album in history.It has been lovingly recreated on the first disc of this set. If anything, the other discs are even stronger.The artwork and historical care that has gone into the info book in this package sets the standard for all who shall follow.If you are a young person who has drifted towards classic rock because of how bad the current scene is, this will demonstrate to you just how correct you are.You will still be listening to this set when you are eighty years old.Knock Knock by the Humane Society and Primitive by the Groupies are almost worth the price by themselves.And let us not forget the Voices Green and Purple.
Some of these were hits. And some of these go to auction when the originals are sold among collectors. It is a nice mix between the two.
As with everything however, this set is not perfect. The info booklet has an incredibly fragile binding and it will come apart on you in short order if you are not aware of it.Rhino should of hard bound it like a owners manual for a car.A small oversight that in no way diminishes that the fact that you MUST own this if you have any interest in Rock's history.
on April 26, 2004
I NEVER, EVER in my whole life felt moved to write to a record company thanking them for the time and effort it took to pull a fabulous collection together for our entertainment's sake. But when I purchased my Nuggets box set in 1999, I was compelled to do just that. Five years later, I still can't find the words to adequately sum up my love of this set. I had already been familiar with alot of the songs thanks to Rhino's Nuggets album series of the '80's, and the fact that I'm the 9th of 11 kids. See, back in the mid sixties, I had older brothers and sisters who were buying records and going to dances on Saturday nights. My oldest brother had a set of drums in the Attic where I used to practice "Little Girl" by Syndicate of Sound while the rest of the kids were at school. (I was only 4 at the time) But I knew some of these songs because of the way they used to sell records in the 60's. You could buy a bundle of 10 used (juke boxes) 45's wrapped in cellophane at the local 5 & 10 for a dollar. You could only see the labels of the records on each end which meant that eight of them were pot luck. Since the records were always like new, this is how my older siblings would buy them, and we had TONS of them!
This set reminded me of EXACTLY how it was to buy based on only what you know and take a chance on the rest. And just like then, the investment paid off IN SPADES! This collection defies description. It's fantastic, stupendous, awesome, phenomenal and so much more! I'll NEVER tire of this set! I hope it stays in print forever!
on February 27, 2004
OK, it helps to have been around in the '60s; that way you have a context to the tunes you get here, and most likely memories attached to at least some of them. Unlike some reviewers who say The Five Americans, Shadows of Knight, Cryan Shames, Swinging Medallions, the Castaways, The Leaves, Standells, etc, etc can't compare to the Beatles; artistically that's obviously true, but if you were a Top 40 music lover from the day, how can you NOT get into at least some of these, well, "nuggets?" You don't hear them all the time on the radio, which is a good thing all by itself, and really, lots of those garage-rock tracks are catchy (and deep down inside, you agree). Disc 4 is weaker than the others (although it does have "Louie Louie", which is NOT a song about getting lucky), the only drawback to this collection. Ignore those who proclaim that lesser-refined bands with less commercial success, like those you find on compilations like this, are not worth the time or money, but like I said, you'll appreciate "Nuggets" more if you were around in the late 1960s. Which, I guess, makes me a geezer. So be it.
on January 23, 2004
I loved the "Loud & Fast" collection and have been listening to "No Thanks" over and over again ever since it's been released . Since I'm also a huge fan of what is actually known as Garage Rock , i.e. bands such as The Strokes , The Libertines or The White Stripes , I could have never imagine I'd be disapointed by those Nuggets .
The problem is actually quite simple : 80% of the songs collected here are forgetable and amateurish ; 10% could have barely been Stones or Beatles b-sides ; and 10% are huge hits , but you already own half of them .
Let us be honnest for a second : those songs were all meant to hit the mainstream radio , but they suck so much they just couldn't make it . If you love those songs because you think they are "interesting" , you get it all wrong . They were all written by young teenagers with no talent at all ; Those kids had never heard anything else but what was on the radio and could only ape the Stones to make something good . I wanted to burn a CD with my favorite Nuggets on it , but couldn't even fill more than 30 minutes of music . I thought it was not worth wasting a CD and sold the boxset the following day .
In my humble opinion however , everyone should take a look at those Nuggets to see what music was like in the 60s beside The Stones , The Beatles , The Byrds , The Doors , Cream etc etc ...
I would have actually been really excited to get this box as a birthday or christmas present . But if you can't borrow it to a friend , avoid buying it . It's really not worth it .