5.0 out of 5 stars Keepin the Bryan Support alive ...
i love this cd...especially the song 'fearless' its great, way to go sis on getting me hooked on buyan!! :P hes great and makes me proud to say im Canadian lol!!
Published on Jan. 22 2006 by Dayton

3.0 out of 5 stars Adult Contemporary Adams - but less 'Personal Passion'
Published on May 21 2004 by L.A. Scene

5.0 out of 5 stars Keepin the Bryan Support alive ..., Jan. 22 2006
Dayton (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw & Subtle., Oct. 30 2005
Steph Feeney (The Shwa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
When I got this album for Christmas back in 1998, I was only eight years old and was the biggest fan of Melanie C. Back then, I listened to only that song. But one day, my Melanie C obsession faded because I started to listen to Bryan's older albums and newer albums. So one day, I decided to go back and listen to the rest of the album with a new frame of mind, and I personally was impressed with what I heard.

The thing with 'On A Day Like Today' is, Bryan Adams fans either love it or hate it, and I personally love it. I think this album definitely ranks up on high standards with some of his best work, and deserves just as much recognition as some of his previous and more popular albums.

'On A Day Like Today' comes two years after "'18 Til I Die" and a year after his second live album "MTV:Unplugged". Between 1996 and 1998 Bryan Adams really experimented and took his music to newer levels. With "18 Til I Die" Bryan experimented more with some blues, and introduced some acoustic work as well, then of course carried the acoustic experiments onto his MTV performance for Unplugged.

However, with this album the music are very similar and simplistic, a lot of the arrangements are the same. The songs themselves have the same sort of 'feel' to them but at the same time have something different to bring to the table. It's a raw pop/rock album at it's best and with this album I think Bryan Adams just wanted to keep it simple and just release an album, then take a bit of a well deserved break from recording.

The singles were the title track "On A Day Like Today", "When You're Gone", "Inside Out" and "Cloud Number Nine" was also a single but it was remixed by the Chicane for the single release which was affective but the original album cut deserves some limelight as well, it's beautiful. All great singles in my opinion, not a single hit and miss.

Elsewhere on the album there are also some great cuts that would have made excellent single material - "Fearless", "Getaway", "If I Had You", and "Where Angels Fear To Tread". "If I Had You" and "Where Angels Fear To Tread" are beautiful classic Bryan Adams ballads I would rank up there with "Heaven" and "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" and "Fearless" and "Getaway" are classic rock anthems in my books.

Also, "How Do You Feel Tonight", "C'Mon C'Mon C'Mon", "I'm A Liar", "Before The Night Is Over" and "I Don't Want To Live Forever" are wonderful as well.

This is a subtle effort on Bryan Adams' part, and it's probably one of those albums you'd definitely have to spend some time with before the hooks really grab you but definitely another five star release from Bryan Adams. Give it a chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adult Contemporary Adams - but less 'Personal Passion', May 21 2004
L.A. Scene (Indian Trail, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
Bryan Adams' "On A Day Like Today" again marked a new chapter in a legendary career. In the 80s, Bryan did some great work on albums such as "Cuts Like a Knife", his signature album "Reckless", his deep album "Into the Fire", and his commerically successful "Waking Up The Neighbours". Following that string of 4 albums, Bryan released "18 Til I Die" which really didn't achieve the glory of those past 4 albums. His next Studio album was this one and unfortunately, this album keeps Bryan Adams stagnent and makes me wonder if he will ever achieve the heights he had in the 80s.
Like "18 Til I Die" this is not a terrible album, but it just doesn't reach the high standards set by Bryan Adams in the past. Unlike "18 Til I Die" which was an album in which Bryan Adams had a "Mid Life Crisis and Youthful resurgance", this album goes back toward a more mature Bryan Adams. I can best describe this as his "Adult Contemporary Album". Most of the songs could easily be played on an "Adult Contemporary" or "Mix" station. A big change on this album is the absence of Robert "Mutt" Lange (Mr Shania Twain). Lange was a major contributer from a musicianship, songwriting, and production standpoint on the last 2 albums. Lange was never able to achieve the great songwriting that Bryan had with Jim Vallance in the 80s, but didn't do a bad job. The replacement for Lange was producer Phil Thornalley. Thornalley also co-writes some songs with Bryan. The other main co-writer with Bryan is Gretchen Peters whom Bryan worked with on the "Unplugged" live album. As for the Adams Band - Mickey Curry, Dave Taylor, and Keith Scott are all back. Gone is keyboardist Tommy Mandel.
So what doesn't help this album reach the bar that Adams has set. My big feel is that many of the songs lack the personal passion that Bryan brought on all of his albums up until this one. There are 4 songs ("Before the Night Is Over", "I Don't Wanna Live Forever", "When You're Gone", and "Cmon Cmon Cmon") on this album that do show the old passion, but for the most part it does lack the personal passion. Especially the title track "On a Day Like Today" - I thought one of the weakest tracks on the album was picked as the title song. The song does nothing to stick in my mind. It is really the four songs I list above which really carry the album as a whole.
"Before the Night Is Over" has almost a feel from "Reckless" to it. It is the strongest song on the album. Just from the opening chords and lines "Hey Baby". If I were the record company and Adams, this would have been the single I released. "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" quick tempo to it and has some great raspy vocals and harmonies, although it doesn't quite have a feel from "Reckless" (this song really stands more on its own as opposed to comparing to past works. "Cmon Cmon Cmon" has a very 90s feel to it and it almost reminds me of "Rock On" and kind of reminds me of a much softer and more mature version of Michael Damian's "Rock On".
"When You're Gone" is the most interesting and eye-catching song. The reason is that Melanie C from the Spice Girls (better known by her Spice Girl persona 'Sporty Spice'). This song starts with almost a retro Beach Boys start. Don't let the Spice Girls connection shy you away from this song. Melanie C holds her own in this song and blends her harmonies beautifully with Bryan on this song. Melanie C basically does background vocals for the entire song and my only complaint is I would have liked to hear her get a little more of a solo (she does get a couple of solo lines). I give Bryan credit for not being afraid to put a Spice Girl on one of his albums.
So Bryan Adams will go the Adult Contemporary Route marking another chapter in what is sure to be a Hall of Fame Career. This won't be one of his albums that gets him into the Hall of Fame, but it won't prevent him from getting in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where did I put my guitar??, Jan. 29 2004
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
I miss Bryan's 80s works, where you could never see him with out his electric guitar in hand, pounding out simple but effective songs much to my delight..,well he still has his guitar, its here on the cover of the album, but unfortunately, that's where it stays.
There are some fantastic mood music songs on here. "C'mon C'mon C'mon" has a great relaxing vibe to it, that you may hear playing in the background of a cozy room on a bleak day or rain-soaked night. It's perfect. "Fearless" is a nice uptempo ballad about cheating, its a nice song though and it works well. "How Do you Feel Tonight" gets things going pretty good but is a little lacking compared to the aforementioned tracks, still a nice song.
A duet with a Spice Girl? Uhhh, I don't know how smart that was, its a good song ("When You're Gone") but I guess ol Bryan was just trying to capitalize on the mainstream power, the THEN power, of the Spice Girls..either way, it too, is a decent song.
But towards the end of the album, things just fall apart and I'm sorry to say that there is nothing special on the album after "Inside Out" which is the last decent track, mixing a nice and steady rhythm with a good beat for some good down-tuned enjoyment. I guess you may consider it a ballad, but to me it isn't quite because it has too much of an upbeat feel for it...might have even sounded better had it been done on a simple acoustic guitar.
For the most part this album has a very soft adult-comtemporary feel to it a la Sting or Rod Stewart, and he has worked with these individuals in the past. When I first heard this album I loved most of these songs but as the year's have gone by (Well, since 2001 when I first got it) I enjoy it a little less and less. The tracks above that I mentioned are always going to be classics to me, but I used to find much more to like about this album...
Stick To Your Guns Bryan. Pull out the guitar and let us hear you rock! 6/13

4.0 out of 5 stars Grade B-, Dec 7 2003
Eric J. Weik "ejwtfw" (Dyersburg, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
Bryan Adams popularity was already going down hill before this release, this cd just helped it along. Not that this is a bad cd, it's not, but it's not a good cd either. Everything about this cd is ok. Nothing stands out, makes you want to go back and listen to again and again. Nothing makes you want to turn it off either in middle of the cd or a song, like 18 TILL I DIE did with the song I WANT TO BE YOUR UNDERWEAR. But without a song to catch you, it justs slips right thru the cracks and gets put back on the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Adult Rock Exuberance, Oct. 16 2003
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
This 1998 Bryan Adams' work is really smooth and the most suitable for those who have loved Bryan since "Everything I Do For You", #1 hit from Robin Hood soundtrack. Although it does not rock hard as Reckless(1984) or Waking Up The Neighbors(1991), it is one of the finest examples of pure adult rock. And it is smooth as a river, naural as 38-year-old rocker can be like. While Reckless is the hard-edge Bryan to the limit, On A Day Like Today is the softer side to the edge. Both are appeals of Bryan for sure. "When You Are Gone" and "Cloud Number Nine" are acoustic pop rock songs George Harrison or Eric Clapton might have liked. "C'mon C'mon C'mon" is a slow ballad but with dynamic turn from frailty to firmness. Ballads such as "Inside Out" and "Where Angels Fear to Tread" are remnicent of "Everything I Do For You" and are really impressive. "Getaway" is an acoustic rocker yet with trademark hooks of Bryan. "Fearless" reminds me a bit of Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You" at the start, also with Bryan's typical hook. Well, don't worry. Two surprise uptempo rockers as if popped out from Reckless will please you.
A must-have for Bryan Adams' fans young or old. It should also appeal to wide range of rock fans who love George Harrison or Eric Clapton. �@

5.0 out of 5 stars always great music, Jan. 9 2003
P. Michels (Ann Arbor, Mi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
i think this album shows that he could change his sound and still write really great music!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than His Last...But, Nov. 4 2002
Shark Frenzy (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
Bryan Adams seems to have a roller coaster ride of a career. He becomes big, then disappears, then reappears, only to disappear again. "Reckless" is still my BA fav. "On A Day Like Today" starts out incredibly strong. And by the time I got to the track "When You're Gone", I began to think this could be BA's best album. But it wasn't. The first half of the album is great. "How Do You Feel Tonight" and "Getaway" prove that BA is still one of the best pop rockers around. But the second half of the album falls pretty flat. And there doesn't seem to be a stand-out rock ballad like on most of his others albums. A decent album which starts off well, and then collapses in the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars I miss the old rocking Adams (1984-1993), Nov. 3 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
This is pop music. You wanna rock? Buy Adams' "Waking Up The Neighbours" and "Reckless". Let's hope Adams' next album is gonna rock like the good old days...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan Adams rocks!, Oct. 26 2001
This review is from: On A Day Like Today (Audio CD)
This is definately a step up from his "18 till I die" album. Although I do like that album, this is much better. He still rocks as good and as hard as ever as ever, still has it and always will! This is Bryan Adams at his best .. great songs with a good mix of rockers and ballads. Mel C joins him on "When you're gone" which got a lot of airplay. The 16 page booklet contains all lyrics and a lot of photos. A must have for all fans.

ARRAY(0xb8b0e378)

On A Day Like Today
On A Day Like Today by Bryan Adams (Audio CD - 1998)