1,161 Reviews

In 1998, "Armageddon" was the second highest grossing movie that year (to date: $201 million), just behind "Saving Private Ryan" (to date: $216 million). It has since grossed $554 million worldwide.
Published on May 1 2010 by Dr. Joseph Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars A gift
I bought this movie as a gag gift for my husband as he says it always brings on man-tears. I was dismayed when I opened it and found it was double cellophane wrapped and had a $10 walmart sticker on it. What's up with that, Amazon? Not very cool.
Published 3 months ago by mrs.jenpen

5.0 out of 5 stars Armageddon (blu ray)...a fun adrenaline-filled film experience, May 1 2010
Dr. Joseph Lee (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
The original Touchstone DVD release was non-anamorphic. The Criterion release was slightly improved, but still the video was non-anamorphic. This long awaited blu ray release is worth the wait, and represents the definitive version of this movie.
Video: This 1080p AVC MPEG-4 transfer (aspect ratio 2.35:1) looked fantastic, considering the age of this movie. The blacks are inky black with lots of details. The picture was full of vibrant colour. The special effects, although dated, still looked awesome. (4.5/5)
Audio: The DTS MA 5.1 mix is much improved from the previous lossy Dolby Digital mix. The result was simply awesome. One could close one's eyes, and just hear discrete sound from individual speakers. The bass also rocked the entire house. To hear Aerosmith singing their #1 hit "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was very satisfying. (4.5/5)
"Armageddon" is a fun fun adrenaline-filled pop-corn film experience with stunning imagery. This blu ray video is totally superior to all previous "Armageddon" home video releases, which featured non-anamorphic video. They looked so bad today that I do not even feel like a double dip. If you like explosions, space shuttles, with a love story, this is the movie for you.
One minor point: When the Russian astronaut banged on the computer in the Space Shuttle to restart the engine, he noticed that the parts were "Made in Taiwan". And when I looked at the 3D glasses that I sneaked out from IMAX a few weeks ago, guess what, they were also "made in Taiwan". Some things simply don't change.
This blu ray disc is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armageddon, Feb. 19 2013
This review is from: Armageddon (Bilingual) (DVD)
I was tired of rewinding my vhs tape of Armageddon. Now I can enjoy this movie (and cry) without having to ear the tape being rewinded.

5.0 out of 5 stars "So kiss me and smile for me", Feb. 22 2014
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go"
Leaving On A Jet Plane Lyrics - John Denver

Once again the world is threatened by Armageddon. A dangerous asteroid, it is heading straight for Earth. Our only hope will be to send a team of roughneck drillers to dig a hole big enough to place a bomb and shatter the meteor.

This movie is lots of fun on many levels. It is a parody of disaster movies; however the characters don't know that they are parody and play it straight. This allows us to have fun without having to listen to a bunch of campy over-the-top one-liners that don't match the movie. It's a father daughter story; and of all things the father would have to be Bruce Willis who brings his killer formula to the story and fits his part perfectly. The daughter played by Liv Tyler (before her The Lord of the Rings fame) adds a great catalyst to the story. The rest of the team is rounded off by contemporary actors of which you will recognize immediately.

The graphics and action both explosive and human will hold you to the end.

This movie is worth watching over again so you can see the nuances that were missed the first time through.

2.0 out of 5 stars A gift, Jan. 3 2014
mrs.jenpen (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie with Great Actors, Jan. 1 2014
This review is from: Armageddon (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have always loved Peter O'Toole and I have always loved Katherine Hepburn. Together they were fantastic. This is classical cinema and I image that in a hundred years people will still be watching it. Received it for Christmas and have already watched with my children. Amazingly, the story is set a Christmas during the reign of Henry II. It is a look at an incredably disfunctional family who made history. You've got Henry II, Elanor of Acquitaine, Richard the Lionheart, and King John along with the King of France. Everyone hates everyone and it is fantastic. This is a must watch for any history buff of the medieval period and for anyone who loves the work of Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, and Timothy Dalton. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars great movie, Sept. 27 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am big Bruce Willis fan and the cast on this movie great. World disaster movie but I thought good job done on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, June 27 2013
This review is from: Armageddon (Bilingual) (DVD)
Thought I had this movie on DVD but couldn't find it. Glad I bought one online as I did only have the VHS version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armageddon, June 12 2013
This review is from: Armageddon (Bilingual) (DVD)
A great action packed movie. I would recommend this movie for knowledge of the final frontier. Changing my VHS library to DVD`S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally well-crafted story line, July 12 2004
J. E. Nelson (Plainfield, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Armageddon 98 (VHS Tape)
For me, this is an incredibly difficult movie to review and critique. I feel that the movie did a phenomenal job of developing the story; however, the acting in the movie left something to be desired.
In case someone has not seen the movie, I do not want to give much of the story away. An asteroid, classified as a global killer (a global killer meaning that if it impacts earth, there will be total destruction of life), is on a collision course with earth. NASA comes up with the idea of landing on the asteroid, drilling a hole, and dropping a nuclear weapon in the hole and blowing up the asteroid with the intent of splitting it in two and altering its path so it misses earth.
While it is a simple story, the movie does an exceptional job developing the plot into a 2-hour movie. The movie incorporates a "gloom and doom" plot with a second story of love, romance, and hope. The first plot is about an oil driller and his band of misfits attempting to work with a group of highly educated astronauts and military pilots to drill a hole on the asteroid (and of course the work together as well as Worcestershire sauce and ice cream). The second story line involves one of the oil drillers falling in love with the owners daughter. The relationship reminds me of a terrible "teen-age" relationship with the seemingly perfect love that young people share coupled with a resentful father who seems to not want to lose his daughter.
It is difficult to explain how well the two story lines integrate without ruining the movie for someone who has not seen it. While the plot is superb, the acting in the move is just so-so. I thought the acting of the three headline actors (Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and Liv Tyler) was weak at best; they had their great moments, but mostly their acting seemed almost emotionless. I did think a couple of the lesser known actors (mainly Michael Clarke Duncan as "Bear" and Peter Stormare as the Russian astronaut) were incredible in this movie.
Personally, due to the overwhelming depressing plot about the end of the earth, I don't think this is a movie I would cuddle with on the couch with a new date. However, I nonetheless think the plot is excellent and I do highly recommend seeing this movie. I give the movie 5 stars for how the movie integrates the two story lines together and develops them into a great plot, not the acting in the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie!!!, July 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Armageddon [Import] (DVD)
Okay, there's a reason that we go to the movies...to escape everyday life and just enjoy some good old fun for a couple of hours and this movie does it. I don't know, maybe I'm just a Bruce Willis fan, but this movie did entertain me and it's on cable right now and I'm watching it, which is what compelled me to write and defend this fun movie because everyone else is trashing it!

ARRAY(0xadf2e408)

Armageddon (Bilingual)
Armageddon (Bilingual) by Michael Bay (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 11.98