5.0 out of 5 stars An album to drink by!
Published on Dec 1 1999 by merch11

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but no masterpiece
"Fire down under" from 1981 is often regarded as Riot's finest. I'm sorry to say, but I don't quite agree, I think both "Rock city" (1977) and "Restless breed" (1982) are slightly better. But that doesn't mean that "Fire down under" is no good. Songs as the opening rocker "Swords & tequila" and the furious title track "Fire down under", together with the catchy...
Published on May 15 2003 by L. B. Ivarsson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An album to drink by!, Dec 1 1999
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
Listen to me: all these reviews can't be wrong! This is truly a vicious album, every tune ripping holes in the wall. Swords and Tequila, Outlaw, Altar of the King, etc, etc, etc. Why didn't this band get more support? In my opinion this album is better than anything Metallica will EVER put out. Metallica wishes they played like this! If you're stranded on a desert island and can only bring 6 albums bring Van Halen I, Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Appetite for Destruction, Black Tiger by Y&T, and this incredible album. Riot is the greatest band no one's ever heard of. BUY THIS ALBUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have CD, March 15 1999
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
I used to start my college radio show with "Swords and Tequila" every week. Thank God Metal Blade brought this out on CD cuz by vinyl was getting worn out....and with this being out of print...impossible to find. This album is classic and a must have for any metalheads out there. Never been an album made like this & probably never will be. It will never leave my CD changer. THANK YOU METAL BLADE

5.0 out of 5 stars SHEER METAL IMMORTALITY.....TO CARRY YA' THROUGH THE NIGHT!, May 6 2004
T. Kasuboski (Winneconne, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
Very rarely does an album immediately(1st listen) blow my mind. When I first heard RIOT-"Fire Down Under" I was younger and a ritualistic pothead. I'll never forget sitting back, stoned, and hearing 'Outlaw' for the first time. 'Outlaw' was only the 4th track on "Fire Down Under", but I already sensed this album(back then I had it on vinyl) would be worn out (from over-playing) within a few months. Luckily for the vinyl, I got the album on cassette(so I could play air-guitar while driving), and eventually CD, so the record was spared. But in all sincerity, if you have never heard Riot, or are considering buying a Riot album, start with "Fire Down Under". With a little green and an open mind, you'll soon be humming every track off this incredible album!!! A true metal classic for the ages...Swords and Tequila, keep on carryin' through the night as a constant reminder of the power of well crafted hard rock...
Luckily, Riot blessed us with many other great albums(despite vocalist changes and the difficulty in getting Riot's 2nd album "Narita" on CD for under $50)and still remain one of my ALL-TIME favorite rock groups in general. If you're a metal/hard rock/stoner rock/fan, DO NOT PASS UP "Fire Down Under"!!! It's mandatory metal and a great musical drug for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balls to the wall hard ROCK!, May 31 2003
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
First the testimonial- I have owned the record, the tape, and now the CD. These native New York rockers deserved much success and fame but were denied that, and by their record company (despite fiercely loyal fan base). The liner notes to the CD tell you about the horrible ordeal with making it in the US record biz. Riot eventually opted to move to Japan, where they found not only adulating fans, but the opportunity to record and have a successful career away from record company leaches.
ALL of these songs really rock, have good riffs and guitar work, and have vocals to match. There is a raw driving urgency to them that is unmistakable, and quite uncommon as well.
"Swords and Tequila", "Fire Down Under", "Alter of the King" top the list, but there is nothing bad on this disc.
In my opinion, Fire Down Under is the best of their offerings from the period, but Narita also had a lot to offer. Check "Fire down under" first.
If you are into hard rock bordering on metal this will not disappoint, and will not be the run of the mill 80's stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time great, April 9 2003
Sean Quinn "dementia13" (Jackson, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
When I had this album back in the day, I thought it was pretty good, and it's only gotten better with time. What here is not to love? The two guitars mesh and roar like nobody else. Guy Speranza has one of the best howls I've ever heard, and pretty good lyrics, too. The rhythm section is thunder. And every song here is great. If the speed blast of the title track doesn't rip your ears off, you don't have ears to rip. They do a good change of pace with a couple of good ballad-like tracks, "Feel the Same" and "No Lies". Likewise, "Altar of the King" opens with a really nice instrumental before blasting your head off. It's really hard to describe their sound, because their influences aren't obvious. If you can think of Montrose's "Space Station #5" and "I Got the Fire", you're on the right track: adrenalized speedfests. By the same token, Sammy Hagar might be the best comparison for Guy Speranza's voice, though Speranza is both tougher-sounding and more expressive. No other band really had their guitar sound: the combination of Mark Reale's Les Paul with Rick Ventura's bright-sounding Strat makes terrific use of the difference in sound between the two instruments. And tight! The playing is flawlessly crisp, which it needs to be at these speeds. Any band can play loud, but few can really be powerful. Many bands can play fast, but few have this kind of energy. Flaws? Well, "Outlaw" goes on a little bit too long. And the album ends. Other than that, you'd have to go to vintage Sabbath to hear a better metal album.

5.0 out of 5 stars ON FIRE, Jan. 26 2002
Michael Courtney "exiled01" (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
One of the best hard rock releases of the early 80's as RIOT changed labels from Capitol to Elektra Records. For some strange reason this masterpiece was lost in the shuffle and like most great rock records received little promotion and airplay. This is a fast paced album that is in your face with Guy Speranza's vocals and Mark Reale's excellent guitar work. This disc has only one weakness and that is that it took too long to come out on CD!
As far as songs go only the bonus tracks seem weak and it may be that I just haven't them enough, because the regular tracks sound so good without the hiss and pop from the album. One of the all-time great tracks is "Altar of the King". This album is full of AOR hits, though, like "Swords & Tequila", "Feel the Same", "Outlaw" and the title track. This is a no nonsense approach to rock 'n roll and may not be for all listeners, but if you like it on the harder side and you like it loud, Riot is probably for you. If you ever have a chance to see Riot, GO! You will want to buy their releases after you've seen them perform.

5.0 out of 5 stars riot fire down under, July 5 2001
rainman0422 (north lauderdale, florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
Quite simply this particular album was my saving grace. While the radio stations bludgeoned us metalheads with the plastic sounds of pop, this underground band slammed its way deep into my soul This was American heavy metal that never found its way into the mainstream. And I thank the rock Gods for that From its raw guitar work to the kinectic howlings of lead singer Guy Speranza Riot reamains today a true metal band before its time. Once this album begins it explodes out of your speakers with untamed fury and firepower that stands the test of time. No filler songs on this recording!! just down and dirty Heavy Metal. And anyone who wonders what a hardrocking band from this era had to confront just check out the song Flashbacks. It deftly explains their woes Very Loudly. So, to all you hardrockers out there who may not know of this band pick up this album.. FAST and don't forget...Play it LOUD!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The lost of the decade, found. Finally!!, April 11 1999
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
I really don't have a review of the album, although I absolutlely can't live without it. I have been searching in all the wrong places for the cd. I have "Fire Down Below" on vinyl, and have been searching for years for a copy on cd, since i don't have a turntable anymore. I worked at a record store, and i couldn't even find a copy in all their files, not even on cassette. It was like the best album of the 80's slipped through the cracks. I have waited so long to finally hear it again after all these years, and it's remastered!! No scratchy record to hinder the great music that eminates from the speakers. Don't let the genre of "heavy metal" keep you from buying this cd, I think it's great for all sorts of musical tastes. The "Swords and Tequila" carry me through the night and make me "Feel the Same" as I did back in the early 80's when i first heard the great band "Riot". I thank amazon.com for being there, otherwise I probably would have wound up waiting endlessly while the import took it's sweet time getting to my house. I should have looked on this site sooner. Ok, so I guess i did have a review of the cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best heavy rock albums ever, Nov. 16 2001
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
Here I sit, a yuppie blues fan in my mid-thirties contemplating babies and mutual funds, and I managed to remember back in my youth an appreciation for an unknown band who most Americans never heard of or confused with talentless Quiet Riot. This is a superb collection of hard edged songs that nonetheless had great tunes and was absolutely born to be cranked in a good car stereo on the highway. I had this on vinyl and sadly, my fiancee convinced me to toss it, with about four dozen of my other early metal lps, many of which were unobtainable imports. Anyway, any fan of hard rock and heavy metal, unless you are into talentless noise (i.e. thrash, speed, death, etc... metal) will love this. There are tons of Metallica fans out there and I guarantee you will like this more than any of the mediocre but loud junk that band has ever spewed on the public. Buy this disk. (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly classic slab of METAL!, July 1 1999
This review is from: Fire Down Under (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to find a copy of the promo LP about fifteen years after the original release."Outlaw" is one of the greatest songs in all of heavy metal.These guys should've been as big as Iron Maiden.If you hate "hair metal" and "power ballads",you can't go wrong with this album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fire Down Under
Fire Down Under by Riot (Audio CD - 1999)
Click for more info