5.0 out of 5 stars This is what a soundtrack should be
This is the height of the soundtrack. Higher even than Quentin Tarantino's soundtracks, which is saying a lot.
Published on Feb. 18 2002 by Justin Evans

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is "I am waiting"
Why do soundtrack compilers insist on leaving key songs off the soundtrack albums
I Am Waiting, by the Rolling Stones was a key song in this film, yet it is nowhere to be see on the album.
On High Fidelity, they left of Crimson and Clover (the song used for the closing credits) yet left in Shipbuilding, an Elvis Costello song that got about 20 seconds in the...
Published on Dec 3 2000 by TMH

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what a soundtrack should be, Feb. 18 2002
Justin Evans (West Wendover, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
I own in, and I have transfered the whole thing (even serched out "I am Waiting" by the stones) to mp3 so I could listen to it while on my computer. I take the CD with me to school so I can listen to it while my students are working (one a very few disks I will play at school).
Every song is a dead on match. I even think it would have been a match if every song was by the Kinks as originally intended. Simply, the music makes the film all the more of an impact upon the senses.
What needs to be emphasized is the emotional tie between the characters and the music which is created by Mark Mothersbaugh in the isntrumental sections of the CD. Listening to the songs I am taken to the exact moments in the film. A rarity in movies today when you look in other places than those movies that drown you in an attempt to market the latest aerosmith song (see armageddon etc etc)
I love this music and I love the film. They go together perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars never a dull moment, April 15 2001
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
After I saw Rushmore, I needed this CD, and it was no disappointment. Mark Mothersbaugh lends a very whimsical tone to the movie which is very befitting. Wes Anderson originally wanted a soundtrack only of obscure early Kinks stuff, but actually ended up making a delightful mixture of some memorable and some rare 1960's British pop and folk songs. The guitar driven chords of Creation's "Making Time," opens up this very textual album. The only Kinks song included is "Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worrin' Bout That Girl." Like that song, "Here Comes My Baby," a song by Cat Stevens highlights the theme of betrayal, which is apparent in the film. A personal favorite is the mini-opera, "A Quick One While He's Away," from the Who's "Live at Leeds." This is a wonderful and powerful recording from my favorite rock group. Also included are Zoot Sims's jazz piece "Blinuet" and "Rue St. Vincent," by Yves Montand. They are seemingly contrasting pieces but are also textual. This is a recommended soundtrack from a recommended movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars music for revolutionaries, Oct. 11 2000
Sandor Weisz (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
'rushmore' the movie could be a worthless piece of rubbish and 'rushmore' the soundtrack would still thrive on its own merits. but the fact that 'r' the movie is such a brilliant piece of filmmaking only assists in heightening the spirit of 'r' the soundtrack. listening to it arouses the giddy feelings from the the first, second and god knows how many viewings of the film. director/writer wes anderson employs the power of a well-structured soundtrack in this film like few others can do.
but let's talk about the music. i've got a cursory knowledge of the mod scene in the british invasion, but the wealth of it on this album is making me investigate some of the music i've taken for granted. (listening to classic rock radio for years makes you think that all the kinks ever recorded was 'lola'. uh uh.) amazing jams such as the who's "a quick one while he's away" and creation's "making time" sit side by side with great harmonic ballads like the faces' "ooh la la" and two cat stevens tunes ("here comes my baby" and "the wind").
on top of that, there's the kinks, john lennon, unit 4 + 2, chad & jeremy and french musician yves montand. interspliced between all these songs are the delicate guitar harmonies of mark mothersbaugh, a mainstay in anderson's films (both of them).
anderson originally wanted to use only music from the kinks. his decision to invite many of their british contemporaries along for the ride enhances the range of emotions in this great film and makes for a disc that will be out of its jewel box more often than not.

4.0 out of 5 stars British Invasion you will NOT hear on the radio, Feb. 19 2000
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
I liked Rushmore (the movie) a whole lot when I saw it opening day. I remember the theater was pretty packed, and my friend and I were the only ones who cackled consistently throughout. The "humor" was pretty offbeat, I suppose. No stereotypical Bill Murray "Can I just say something? I love this guy right here" breaks in the movie. Just some dark, dark, awkward humor.
That said, I bought the soundtrack a week after I saw the movie, and a bought the video several months later when it hit the stores. Now I wouldn't say I'm SICK of the movie; but I definitely don't enjoy watching it over and over. This soundtrack? Oh yeah.
I didn't grow up in the 60's, so my exposure to the British Invasion was pretty nostalgic in nature. Sooooo.... I've never had the privilege of hearing The Kinks' somber "Nothing in This World...", The Who's just-long-enough mini-rock opera "A Quick One...", or any of the other more obscure (yet more wonderful) songs by Cat Stevens, Creation, Unit 4+2, The Faces, and so on. Oh, and Chad and Jeremy? I used to HATE "A Summer Song." Too cheesy. But the way it's pasted on this soundtrack? Ooooh! Great stuff.
Mark Mothersbaugh's score is perfect narrative music too. See the move, then get the soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best soundtracks ever, Nov. 15 2001
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
A good soundtrack should be one that is integral to the movie but still good enough to stand alone as its own product. 'Rushmore' is a proof that soundtracks can still follow this formula. Although half of the songs are classics that have seen better days, it is hard to disassociate these tunes from the film after watching it. None more true than 'Oh La La.' played at the very end of the movie, summarizing the entire movie experience.
The soundtrack is also capable taking a life own its own. The songs are very easy on the ears. The consistency and flow of the songs is first class, sadly not a common denomination wiht soundtracks anymore. One song segues to the next seamlessly. The insertion of soundbites from the film doesn't break the consistency, in contrary, it makes the whole soundtrack more cohesive. 'Rue St. Vincent' throws in a layer of quirkiness that is present throughout the movie.
Overall, an excellent soundtrack from a wonderful movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack, Sept. 20 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
Two things: One, the Rolling Sones never give rights to their songs to be placed on any soundtrack album. I have noticed people upset over the omission of "I Can't Wait" from Rushmore and the omission of "2000 Man" from Bottle Rocket. If Martin Scorcese can't get the rights to put "Gimme Shelter" on his Casino soundtrack then no one can. Its not Wes Anderson's fault it's the descision made by the Rolling Stone's record company.
Secondly, fans of the movie should boycott Timberland!! I was mortified to hear a commercial showing images of nature accompanied by the song "The Wind" by Cat Stevens. That song beautifully encapsulates an epiphanous moment in Rushmore, yet it is now being used to hawk shoes and camping gear! Those corporate slimeballs have polluted one of my favorite movie moments. I hate when that happens! Boycott those weasels! Rushmore fans unite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, ecclectic soundtrack, June 1 1999
Alex Gradet (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
In support of the quirky, way off-beat comedy "Rushmore," director/soundtrack exec producer Wes Anderson has selected an extremely well-mixed bag of songs, all of which fit the film's cockeyed sentiment. The mixture of unknown and underknown British Invasion rock and folk with Mark Mothersbaugh's sprightly instrumental score works as well on disc as it did in creating the mood of the movie. Some choice songs: "Making Time" by Creation, "A Summer Song" by Chad & Jeremy, and of course, The Who's "A Quick One (While He's Away)" - a song used perfectly in the film, energetically underscoring a montage of Jason Schwartzmann and Bill Murray's vandalistic stabs at one another. The movie itself was sorely overlooked by most audiences, but here's hoping this proves to be a case where the (deserved) success of the soundtrack boosts interest for the video release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick Ass Soundtrack to a Kick Ass Movie, Dec 28 1999
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
This soundtrack rocks! There is nothing I hate more on a soundtrack than a bunch of tunes that you don't even remember from the movie, mixed in with some little instrumental bits. When you listen to Rushmore, you remember every one of the songs AND the instrumentals, which is a refreshing change! The instrumental bits also provide wonderful segues into the songs and are every bit as important to the soundtrack.
If anything, this cd will make you very happy. I can't stop listening to it and dancing around to great songs like "Oh Yoko," or "Here Comes My Baby." And although the song "Rue St. Vincent" really doesn't make a lot of sense on a soundtrack of British Invasion tunes, I understand why it was included, and I think that anyone who saw the movie will too.
Buy this cd. It's really fun and it will get you moving and wanting to start up a club or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Soundtrack to a Brillian Film, July 20 2000
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
This is the ONLY movie soundtrack I have ever bought in my life. I never thought that I could like this type of music. In fact, I am listening to it as I write this review.
I saw Rushmore a countless number of times, but it was recently that I had started to notice the music. I would have been willing to pay any price for this CD. It is a must have for those who appreciate REAL music.
As I hear each track, I can recall every exact scene in the movie that I heard the song. The same can be said for very few to almost no other movie soundtracks. Tracks by John Lennon, Unit 4 + 2 (awesome), and Creation really stand out. This is a CD that you WON'T get tired of listening to. Very refreshing music that needs to be heard by a generation where originality and artistic ability are seldom heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars heaven in 70 minutes, baby!, Oct. 18 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Rushmore (Audio CD)
Greatest soundtrack of all time, no doubt. This is one you can enjoy without having seen the movie, but you will love it a LOT more if you have (also the movie is super-duper excellentay). Classic British invasion stuff with Mark Mothersbaugh's (formerly of Devo fame)delightful interludes...highlights (well, they all are) are Rue St. Vincent(French 40's, doesn't really go, but does anyway), the long and live Who song (AMAZING), Ohh La La by the Faces (just gorgeous, intelligent and poetic lyrics too), and "Nothing In the World can stop me worrying Bout That Girl" by the great Kinks... but to single these songs out at the expense of the other classics is just horrible and wrong.. the whole album is SO cohesive and I recommend you watch the movie ( one of my all time favorites) as well.

Rushmore
Rushmore by Mark Mothersbaugh (Audio CD - 1999)
Click for more info