5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the BEST soundtrack ever!!!
Published on Jan. 13 2002 by mike nemeth

3.0 out of 5 stars good but incomplete
This CD is good, but it's incomplete. It contains all of the rock songs, but it is missing alot of Vince DiCola's instrumental tunes (Unicron's theme is missing!)
This CD was released in the 80's, the days when vinyl records were still sold, and recordings of sondtracks and albums had a limited amount of space to record on an album; so there are a not as many...
Published on Jan. 29 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars A great pop rock/metal soundtrack, though not perfect, June 8 2004
This review is from: The Transformers - The Movie - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Transformers: The Movie Soundtrack(1986). Music taken from the Transformers motion picture movie.
If you were a kid of the 80s like me, you'd have to be living under a rock in a far distant land not to at least know what the Transformers phenomenon was. And that's exactly what it was, A PHENOMENON. Transformers were to the mid-80s what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were to the early 90s and Pokemon to the late 90s: a kid's dream come true. There was the great cartoon that started the whole craze, but kids remembered Transformers the most by the impressive line of toys. I had quite a few of them, and so did most every kid I knew. The franchise slowed down a bit towards the mid 90s, but as far as I know, they are still making Transformers cartoons today.
Of course, at the height of Transformers' popularity came a full-length big-screen movie, which was excellent for its time, though it also caused the series to take a slight downturn due to the scene where Optimus Prime dies (ALL fans can agree that this greatly changed the series). But one aspect that made the movie so memorable was its outstanding music soundtrack. Armed with a score that was created by Vince DiCola (also worked on Rocky IV) and a slew of pop rock and pop metal songs by various people, the Transformers movie soundtrack ended up being an outstanding movie soundtrack that often goes overlooked in the context of soundtracks from the period. Here's an analysis of the tracks:
Tracks 1 & 4 are both Stan Bush songs. 'The Touch' is a good opener, while 'Dare' is more of an uplifting power pop song with an infectious chorus (but then again, has Stan Bush ever made a song that isn't catchy?). Both are pretty good pop songs. 'Instruments Of Destruction' is a sinister pop metal song performed by N.R.G. Never heard of these guys, but they sounded pretty good for the time, and it's too bad that they never took off. My favorite tracks are the two by a band called "Spectre General" (the actual name of this canadian band is Kick Axe, though for some reason their name was changed on here even though the band never agreed to it! Strange.) 'Nothin's Gonna Stand In Our Way' is a pounding rocker, and 'Hunger' is probably one of Kick Axe's best anthemic headbanger songs, despite the fact that it was never released on any of their albums. Then there's 3 cool Vince DiCola instrumentals taken from different scenes of the movie. 'Autobot/Decepticon Battle' and 'Escape' are both very fast-paced and energetic, while 'Death Of Optimus Prime' is melancholic and sad (just like it's supposed to be). After that is the awesome version of the Transformer's title theme performed by a band called Lion (I'm not sure if they're supposed to be an early incarnation of the band White Lion or not, it's hard to tell). However, the most bizzaire surprise on the soundtrack is the very last song called 'Dare To Be Stupid' performed by none other than Weird Al Yankovich! It's a hilarious and awesome parody of Devo's 'Dare To Be Different'. It's not something you'd expect to hear, but somehow it fits.
In the end, the Transformers Movie soundtrack is well put together, and serves as an excellent platter of good pop rock and pop metal songs to anyone who remembers them. My only complaint, besides the Kick Axe moniker "Spectre General", and the reason why I only gave it 4 stars is because there were several instrumental pieces in the movie that aren't present, especially the 'Unicron Theme'. Still, you can't go wrong with this soundtrack, and it's highly recommended to all fans of the movie.
Other similar soundtracks:
-Robotech Perfect Soundtrack Album
-Rocky IV Movie Soundtrack
-Top Gun movie Soundtrack
-Project A-Ko Original Soundtrack
Also, if you liked the two "Spectre General" songs, you'll also like:
-'Vices' by Kick Axe
-'Welcome To The Club' by Kick Axe

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the BEST soundtrack ever!!!, Jan. 13 2002
mike nemeth (niagara falls, NY) - See all my reviews
The Transformers the Movie Soundtrack is something i purchased back in 1992. I now have it on CD because i played my tape so many times that it began to warp. Stan Bush, Spectre General ( now Kick Axe ), NRG, and Lion, as well as the instrumentals by Vince DiCola are outstanding! Back in the hey-day of Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Ratt, the record companies wanted to continue the success of metal bands by signing anyone who had a guitar and long hair. Most of those bands had no talent, but the record companies did not care as long as they generated money.
Well, some unrealized " INCREDIBLE " artists with something to say, are Stan Bush, Kick Axe, NRG, and Lion! Artists who blow away the competition!!! These artists have been overlooked for much too long!!! For years i searched for more music from those mentioned artists, but with no find. After now using the internet, i've found several albums of Stan Bush and Kick Axe. They are highly talented who are underestimated. I will go so far to say in my opinion, that the Transformers the Movie Soundtrack is perfect! " The Touch ", " Dare ", " Nothin's Gonna Stand in our Way ", and " Hunger " are truly awesome songs that greatly inspire! I urge you to pick this soundtrack up, and i assure you that you will NEVER regret it! I have been in many music stores, and have not found this album. You can find it in better music stores, but the best way, and most assured way, is to order it from here. And if you think this album is that great, you should pick up all albums from Stan Bush, and Kick Axe! I promise you- you will not be let down!!! I also recomend " Heaven " by Stan Bush and Barrage, and " Welcome to the Club ", " Vices ", and " Rock the World " by Kick Axe. But please dont buy tapes, buy Cds. Because trust me- You will play them over and over and over and over and over and over and...

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the BEST soundtrack ever!!!, Jan. 13 2002
mike nemeth (niagara falls, NY) - See all my reviews
Well, some unrealized " INCREDIBLE " artists with something to say, are Stan Bush, Kick Axe, NRG, and Lion! Artists who blow away the competition!!! These artists have been overlooked for much too long!!! For years i searched for more music from those mentioned artists, but with no find. After now using the internet, i've found several albums of Stan Bush and Kick Axe. They are highly talented who are underestimated. I will go so far to say in my opinion, that the Transformers the Movie Soundtrack is perfect! " The Touch ", " Dare ", " Nothin's Gonna Stand in our Way ", and " Hunger " are truly awesome songs that greatly inspire! I urge you to pick this soundtrack up, and i assure you that you will NEVER regret it! And if you think this album is that great, you should pick up all albums from Stan Bush, and Kick Axe! I promise you- you will not be let down!!! I also recomend " Heaven " by Stan Bush and Barrage, and " Welcome to the Club ", " Vices ", and " Rock the World " by Kick Axe. But please dont buy tapes, buy Cds. Because trust me- You will play them over and over and over and over and over and over and...

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformers: The Movie soundtrack review, Feb. 24 2001
After reading alot of reviews for this cd, one thing that has really annoyed me is all the people saying that this is only for transformers fans and, well, it isn't JUST for fans. I let half my family (non of which are transformer fans) listen to several of the songs and they even liked it. I, myself, wasn't a huge transformers fan growing up. I bought some of the toys, watched the show occasionally, and one day, rented the movie. As far as movies go, it wasn't great, but, it was as good as can be expected out of a toy company trying to sell their toys by making a movie. The one thing though that really stood out was the music played throughout it. The battle between OP (Optimus Prime) and MT (Megatron) was great because of the fact that "The Touch" was played during it. The raid on Unicron is when "Dare" was played, which also made that scene better. These two are easily my fav. songs on the cd. Both up-beat and very inspirational. "Hunger" is a good hard rock tune, proving that this cd isn't too kiddy-fied. My third fav. "Nothin's Gonna Stand in Our Way" is, probably, the best song in terms of lyrics on here-"The fortunate ones, to be fast and free and young, I want to count myself among the fortunate ones...We won't be denied! We know that time is on our side, we've got the PASSION and the PRIDE!...We won't be denied!" Absolutely wonderful! The three musical numbers are all very good as well, I just wished they didn't interupt the songs in between. This problem can easily be fixed by anyone who knows how to program in tracks on your cd player though. "Instruments of Destruction" is also a little hard rockish, although it would be better if I could understand what he was saying."Dare to be Stupid" I think is only tollerated for one reason and that's because it is at the end of the cd. It's really too silly to be on this cd, but some-what funny non-the-less. "The Transformers" theme has been (thankfully) re-recorded from the tv version. I really like the music to it and the lyrics aren't as bad as I expected, and it still maintains the familiar chorus-"Transformers, more than meets the eye, Transformers, robots in disguise." This is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, only behind Ghostbusters and The Lion King. My only complaint is that it is extremely short, not even 45 minutes. but still, with three excellent songs, three excellent music pieces, it is still worth listening to again and again. If any non-transformer fans happen to read this than this statement is for you-Listen to a couple of songs on this cd, (preferably The Touch or dare)if you don't like them, that is your right. But if you do, get this cd and hide the cover somewhere. This is just too good to be passed up just because you're not a so-called "fan."

4.0 out of 5 stars Two great tastes that taste great together!, July 23 2000
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
Ah, the eighties, era of some of the coolest playthings ever made from die-cast and plastic, and big-hair heavy metal tunes. Being one who grew up in this period, I was exposed to a pretty good helping of both. And with 'Transformers: The Movie', both of these indelible marks on 1980's pop culture crossed paths on the cinematic plane. The soundtrack CD features more than a few hard-rocking cuts ('Hunger', 'Nothing's Gonna Stand In Our Way', Instruments of Destruction'), acting as a counterpoint to the synthesized background score.
Although the performing artists are fairly obscure (with the big exception of "Weird Al" Yankovic), many of the songs are quite memorable. A good case in point is Lion's operatic metal performance of the Transformers theme, the only rendition commercially available on CD. But after you've heard it, the TV version of the song pales in comparison.
But out of all of them, Stan Bush's inspirational "The Touch" was quite possibly the most memorable track, as it was used in the trailers and TV spots for the movie. It was the song that identified itself with the film, much like 'Mrs Robinson' did for 'The Graduate', or 'Dueling Banjos' with 'Deliverance'.
It's a shame there's not more music. The CD is only about 40 minutes in duration, and what with the movie being about 90 minutes and all, it's a pretty fair bet that some tunes were left out.
'Late...

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM IS A GOOD PLACE TO START..., June 13 2000
The original Transformers series was a phenomenon (I'm not feeling the Beast Wars series at all...) and the music for the series/movie (like Robotech) was incredible...and I fell in love with the music (especially Unicron's Theme) as soon as I heard it. Getting this soundtrack may be dissapointing if you loved the instrumentals by Vince DiCola (like I do) which just about accompany the whole movie. But, the three instrumentals that are featured on this album are probably the best musical compositions that Vince DiCola did for the movie, especially the "Death Of Optimus Prime".
I personally think the soundtrack's hottest songs are "Dare" (I think of Hot Rod), "The Touch" (Can you believe Mark Wahlberg sang this in Boogie Nights?) and the Transformers Main Theme. As an album however, the TF:TM Soundtrack is a little on the short end. If you're just getting into the music of the Transformers, I would recommend starting here, and then searching for the complete score 'Till All Are One' if you find yourself unsatisfied. I got it, and now feel complete. (smile)
Oh, and be warned...these are only the movie tracks - I have yet to locate the music from the TV series which was almost as good. (Can anyone help me?) Just know that this album is a good place to start, and is definitely required ownership for any self respecting Transformers fanatic - closet case or not. Trust me.
I just wish there was a soundtrack for the original Voltron series...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, so stunning!, Nov. 24 1999
Okay, where to begin? The start is good place. Stan Bush's inspiration "The Touch" is a joy to behold. Upon hearing it, I can't help but grab my script and relieve classic moments from the movie, indeed, I could say that for the whole film. "Dare" is inspirational to the extreme, and always cheers me up when I feel depressed NRG's "Instruments of Destruction" fits perfectly with the film, keeping the pace throughout. Vince DiCola's three instrumental pieces are simply fantastic. "Death of Optimus Prime" brings a tear to my eye everytime I hear it, knowing that the end will herald the loss of onE of TV's greatest heroes. This is, by far, my favourite piece of music of all time. Spectre General's "Hunger" is utterly fantastic, it is the only song I play repeat ad nauseum! And finally, Weird Al Yankovich's "Dare to be Stupid" is hilarious, taking a side-ways look at 80s stereotypes, perhaps perfect for the film characters it represents.
In short, a wonderful CD accompaniment to a wonderful film. If you count yourself as even a remote Transformers fan, you NEED this CD, your life is not complete without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars And you can win, if you dare!, Nov. 22 2002
Best known for his work on such movies as "Rocky IV", Vince Dicola has long been considered the tour de force of 1980's synthesizer movie scores. And rightfully so. "The Transformers: The Movie" soundtrack is jam-packed with hard-rockin' jams (see: Spectre General) and passionate instrumentals (the aforementioned Dicola).

While most of the bands/singers on this album are relative unknowns (with the notable exception of "Weird Al" Yankovic), I suspect it's just a matter of time before N.R.G. and Lion make it big on the music scene. Even though Vince Dicola is clearly the driving-force behind this album, the triumphant anthems, "Dare" and "The Touch", prove that Stan Bush might be able to give Dicola a run for his money.

Petty rivalries aside, this album is Dicola's baby, and deservedly so. Some 16-years later, "The Transformers: The Movie" soundtrack remains the pinnacle of Vince Dicola's career.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect music album for the tried and true TransFan!, May 22 2000
I have always loved this soundtrack, back when i first had it on tape, and of course, Kid Rhino re-released the movie last year, to my ultimate amazement. I used to collect the toys back in the '80's, I've seen almost all the episodes of the TV series, and now I am searching the Net in order to locate the Limited Edition double album "Till All Are One", at first only available at BotCon '97, the annual fan convention. Wish me luck, people! Anyway, the music included on this CD are incredibly terrific, the two Stan Bush songs are really fantastic, the three Vince Dicola score tunes are very moving and soothing at times. The '80's rock ballads from now-unknown bands are all right as well, my favorite being Lion's Theme song from the beginning and the end. However, Weird Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" is a little, well, I should say, silly for this soundtrack. Anyway, I would recommended this album heavily, it's just what the TransFans ordered!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scores are great, but design need to be improved, Aug. 21 2001
F. kar Keat (Prai, Penang Malaysia) - See all my reviews
I bought this album together with Transformers The Movie DVD. However I do noticed that there are few scores which is in the movie but not available in the CD. Score like "Unicron Theme" which is played in the chapter one where Unicron chewing a planet. That's one of the song I wish it could be one of the ablum's score.
Design wise, it does not provide lyrics, it just a piece of cheap paper. If you need them, you have to search the net. The CD itself are too simple and plain, nothing but just simple font with a title and tracks, not even a Transformers logo printed nor Transformers font was used on it.
I don't find any reason why the producer of Transformers would put "Dare To Be Stupid" as one of the soundtrack, to me it is just a dumb idea. However, the rest of the tracks are pure solid, epsecially The Touch and Dare.