5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity, April 12 2006
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Alrite as far as I'm concerned, Clarity is Jimmy Eat World in their musical prime and creating delicate pop-rock. If you enjoy bands that provide you with catchy melodies with outstanding sound and precision, then this album is for you. Don't listen to MTV and MuchMusic to hear the best of J.E.W., because the greatest stuff is on here.
This is my rating per song:
Table For Glasses (9/10)
Lucky Denver Mint (7/10)
Your New Aesthetic (10/10)
Believe In What You Want (7/10)
A Sunday (9/10)
Crush (6/10)
12.23.95 (9/10)
Ten (8/10)
Just Watch The Fireworks (10/10)
For Me This Is Heaven (10/10)
Blister (8/10)
Clarity (6/10)
Goodbye Sky Harbor (10/10)
If you have the patience to listen to all of Goodbye Sky Harbor you will not be disappointed. This album sounds incredible, the mixing is quite perfect and the instruments blend smoothly. Jim Adkins vocals dont overpower too much and add that hint of emo, unlike some of their newer, rockier stuff. The instrumentation on this album is incredibly diverse with pianos, strings, xylophones and multiple backup vocals on tracks like For Me THis is Heaven, Table For Glasses and Goodbye Sky Harbor which all sound exceptional.
If you want a good CD to pop in and hear a diverse sound of emoey-pop rock, then Clarity is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend the money, BUY IT, May 7 2004
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Found amongst the utter crap of the rap-rock fad, was this gem. It is great how JEW went from a emo/punk sound to this melodic masterpiece. This was the first JEW album i bought due to a recommendation. At first it was not really my thing, but pretty soon i found myself listening to it quite a bit. I would definitely say this is the best of their full-length albums. This album is not the best introduction to JEW. This would be worth buying if you already own one or two of their full-length albums. By then you will really appreciate them and therefore appreciate this album.
It is hard to find any standout tracks on this album. They are all really good songs. But i'd recommend listening to Table for Glasses, Lucky Denver Mint, A Sunday, Crush, Blister, and Goodbye Sky Harbor. Goodbye Sky Harbor was a great way to end this album. The instrumental lasts for about 12 minutes or so. Just play it, turn up the sound and relax. I'd say get into JEW then buy this album. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you still feel the butterflies., Feb. 20 2004
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
As I opened Clarity anxiously, I was blown away just by looking at the cd......so poetic. It just got better from then on. All the songs are very melodic, and soothing. It is so relaxing to listen to hard rock that is this soft. This cd destroys Bleed American(self-titled)
Table for Glasses- One of the most melodic and beautiful songs I have ever heard. It takes a while for this song to kick in, but when it does it is amazing. 9/10
Lucky Denver Mint- This song sets the mood for the cd, not the greatest on the cd, but still an amazing song. 8.5/10
Your New Aesthetic- Definetely one of the harder songs. This song is incredible. Awesome lyrics, great vocals, just a masterpiece. 12/10
Believe in What you want- Another melodic song. This is probably my third favorite song on the cd. It is blended beautifully with 'Your New Aesthetic'. 10/10
Sunday- My favorite lyrics on the cd come from this song. "What you wish for won't come true. Live with that." 10/10
Crush- Blended perfectly with a Sunday. This song would fit a little better on Bleed American, but is still a great song. It just doesn't fit the mood of the rest of the cd. 8/10
12.23.95- This is an example of this cd's creativity. Filling a 4-minute song with 3 lines, and the 4 minutes are over faster than you could imagine. 8/10
Ten- The piano in the backround is so catchy. Who knew something like that could be such a great hook. And I love the end of this one. 10/10
Just watch the fireworks- The beginning of this song is kind of........brutal. But it sure makes up for it after the first 30 seconds. But for some reason, this song seems longer than #13. 7/10
For me this is heaven- Once again, I hated the first 2 lines of this song, but I have grown to tolerate them, and grown to absolutely adore the song. 9.5/10
Blister- Another hard song and this song, just like #3, impresses me throughout. The chorus is the best, it just strikes something in me, it is awesome. The best part is at about 2:30 when everything slows down for the chorus. 11/10
Clarity- This song could be a little better vocally, but I think this defines the cd. Great lyrics, catchy chorus and cretive throughout.9/10
Goodbye Sky Harbour-Wow, an amazing song, but I am sorry to say that I usually end up skipping this song around the 8 minute mark. Believe me, if I wasn't so anxious to get to the rest of the songs, I could listen to this 16 minute marathon over and over. 10/10
I want Jimmy Eat World to have a little more recognition, but I don't want anyone to know about this cd. It can be our little secret. The only one word to describe this cd would be 'art'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Beauty, Dec 28 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
While most of the reviews here are from kids that jumped on the JEW bandwagon after the release of Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World, I've had this album since its release in 1999. I'm not some hardcore JEW fan; they'd been playing music since well before '99. I first saw Jimmy Eat World while they were touring with Face to Face and No Motiv (two other great bands). I was blown away at the quiet power they had on stage, the raw emotion of the songs and, to some extent, the fact that these guys were more or less unknown in any circles other than Arizona emo kids.
Clarity is the kind of album you want to listen to all the time. It has songs for every mood, and all of them are brilliantly written and flawlessly delivered. And the recording isn't perfect because it has bee polished and compressed over by a pop production team: the band is just that good. Anybody who's into softcore, thinks they're into emo because they wear too much black and tight sweaters, or anybody who appreciates solid music will have this in their CD more than not.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best. Ever, Dec 19 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
Well, let's get right to the point.
1 is a slow, beautiful introduction song. However, not all may like it because of its slow tempo.
2 was apparently featured in the movie "Never Been Kissed," I believe. Great song anyhoo, but I don't know if it deserves the incredible reviews I see.
3 is a harder, somewhat faster song. Very energetic, and leads right into...
4 one of the best songs by JEW ever. My dad claims the guitars are synthesizers but he's an idiot; but that just shows how crisp and concise the guitars are.
5 not one of the better ones, kind of soft. Reminds me of something Dashboard Confessional would have done.
6 is a great song. Starts off strong, and never lets up. Not a hard song by any means, but motivates you to get up and do something.
7 is different. I think maybe this song was dedicated to a girlfriend, perhaps. I didn't care for it too much at first, but grew on me a lot.
8 is probably the best song on the cd. It's so moody, soft and happy, yet depressing. The verse is wonderful, and the lyrics are truely inspiring.
9 is very good. A violin, I believe, chimes in with the band some of the way through. A nice, long, profound song.
10 grew on me a lot from the first time I heard it, but it is very good. Leads to the well-known...
11 Probably the hardest song on the CD, but maybe one of the best. Awesome. How long would it take me, to walk across the United States all alone? It'll have you singing along in no time, guarenteed.
12 is what I think probably the second best song on the cd. It's so well harmonized, but keeps JEWs' harder-song routine close. Good bass line if you listen closely.
13 is, well, good. The chorus is good, almost feeling pity. Then it busts into a very long but repetetive instrumental. Leads into a (what reminded me of a) Dave Mathews Band style area.
Very Good, Just as good as Bleed American. A must have for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music at it's finest, Nov. 5 2003
No, YOUR mom (You would like to know, wouldn't you?) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
This has been my favorite CD for the past year and for good reason. Jimmy Eat World has a musical grasp unlike any other. What I like most about them is they do it for personal enjoyment, not for money. You may have gotten into them because you saw them on TV, but that's as poppy as this band will ever get. If they were in it for the money they would be more popular than your Simple Plans, New Found Glorys and Good Charlottes. Thankfully for us they haven't done that. If you trace back to Clarity, they get a little less radio friendly, and back further to Static Prevails you can barely recognize the same band. Clarity as previously stated is not only my favorite Jimmy Eat World CD, it's my favorite CD. There's nothing on here that isn't brilliant. They are masters of music. If you're reading this to look for some songs to highlight them, your answer is all of them. Now I can't speak for everyone and say go out and buy it you'll automatically love it, but there's a VERY good chance you will. It appeals to so many people. Just open up to them, that's the best advice I could give.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best CD's I've Ever Heard, April 29 2003
"gaudiosf" (New Brunswick, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
First of all, this CD is not for everyone. You need to have a certain kind of music taste that will make listening to this CD the first few times bearable; if you can accomplish that, however, you'll soon find that the lyrical masterpieces on this CD far outweigh the occasionally redundant musical backdrop.
Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of "Clarity" is that it is a themed CD that does not fail on any given track. Each song on the piece is designed to give a certain aspect of clarity to a given topic, whether it is drug addiction on "Just Watch the Fireworks" or failed infatuation on "A Sunday." All of these messages are powerful, clear, and pertinent.
To give another indicator as to how much of a contradiction this CD is compared to other, run-of-the-mill mediocre productions, "12.23.95," a practically instrumental piece, still can give you chills down your back. Many bands - and often many very good bands - will attempt to make a themed CD, where every song has a similar message, and either fail or sound too bland and redundant for success. "Clarity" walks the fine line between these errata and does an excellent job of doing so.
This CD is a must-have for anyone who needs to hear the lyricism to help them through a bad experience, or simply anyone who needs to just relax and know that it's all been done before. Combine this with the musical arrangements and sterling vocals, and you have what I consider to be one of the best CDs of the past ten years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity is cleary a masterpiece, April 29 2003
Andrew High (Tempe, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
The status of total pop stardom now rests squarely on Jimmy Eat World's shoulders, but one of the best rock and roll albums of all time was released a couple of years prior to personal planes and luxorious bus journeys.
I am proud to say I now possess almost everything entitled Jimmy Eat World and although Bleed American is undoubtedly an enjoyable romp through all that is beautiful melodic rock and roll, and although Static Prevails lays the foundation for incredible beats and emotional melodies the band's brilliance clearly apexed at the the provocative and always emotive Clarity.
Every song entails such passion and love for all that is music that the tender vocal delivery and gorgeous instrument play are the epitamy of what music should be. This collaboration of songs is exceedingly beautiful emotionally, musically, and lyrically. It seems so rare to find bands that base the melodies around the lyrics, and not vice-versa. Jimmy does so effortlessly and flawlessly and therefore the harder you listen the more you appreciate the fact that you need to tilt your hat to the band that formed from the less than desireable city that is Mesa, AZ.
Every line is quotable and thought-provoking, every note is smooth and startling, every melody is appealing and unique, and every song is memorable. This cd possesses everything your musical desires could ever yearn for and, to put it bluntly, no other rock bands can touch Clarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gleam, March 22 2003
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
I'm not going to be arrogant and say that this is the greatest album of all time. I will, however, say this: Clarity is the perfection of emo.
This is easily one of the most overlooked albums of the 90's. Many of my friends with tastes that run a bit more... acquired shall we say, have been skeptical about my rants and ravings over Clarity. Although my tastes continue to run more and more indie, this is still my favorite record.
Every song on here is a keeper. Even more points are scored for opening up with the string-and-glockenshpiel-laden "table for glasses," and ending with the brilliant "goodbye sky harbor." The sheer ballsiness of the placement of these tracks is enough to warrant a listen. Although the production is extremely thick, there is no excess. 16 minutes is just the right length for the closing track, and dont tell me that those overlapped vocal samples at the end don't give you the chills.
This album has MUSIC on it: real crescendoes, more than 4 tracks to a song, vocal harmonies. Every song has a bit more opened up in it with each listen. The whole thing flows like liquid from beginning to end, with nothing missing, and nothing to be spared.
If you have listened to bleed american and passed jimmy eat world off as a power-pop band, or if you have listened to static prevails and passed them off as an emo band, listen to this amalgum of pop/indie/rock/emo. The rock songs shake, the ballads float, and the epics surge;
This is music my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty At It's Best!, Dec 4 2002
This review is from: Clarity (Audio CD)
"It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride, everything'll be just fine, everything'll be alright..." Who could get those words out of their head after "The Middle" hit the charts?!? I loved the song so much, because it fit everything that had been going on in my life at the time. I had to try out their self-titled cd (also known as "Bleed American"). I was completely hooked after that! I saw them live in Philadelphia at the Electric Factory (front row, baby! Jim Adkins is gorgeous!) & heard some more of their songs from other albums & I knew I had to buy every single one. I even have all of the singles! But, "Clarity" tops them all. This album is full of beautiful ballads, introspective tunes, & catchy slammin' rock songs. It has everything you could ask for in an album! The lyrics are amazing, this boy sure can make his music come alive! This cd has it all & I would be amazed if there were anyone out there who enjoys good music & does not like this cd, or even love it! This band is awesome, please vote for "Sweetness" & "A Praise Chorus" on MTV & your local radio stations! Give them the recognition they so deserve! Check out their single called "The Middle & More" it has an awesome rockumentary for your computer & a great song that's not on their other cds called "Splash, Twist, Turn". Oh, and GO BUY CLARITY NOW!!

Clarity
Clarity by Jimmy Eat World (Audio CD - 2007)