5.0 out of 5 stars "No she di-uhn": A different type of review
Published on Dec 6 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars three Stars for Angela bassett. Buy the book instead.
Published on July 30 2003 by SHAWN JAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars "No she di-uhn": A different type of review, Dec 6 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
Okay, so I've read every review on this movie, and none of them touch upon the things that I (and most of my friends) personally think make this movie great. One might say this movie is man-bashing, woman-empowering, etc, etc, and while it IS about these things, I think that those aspects pale in comparison to why this movie is great for me: these women are such DIVAS, it's RIDICULOUSLY hilarious! The lines that come out of their mouths, and the situations that they get themselves into are utterly jaw-dropping, causing you to say "NO SHE DIDN'T" just say that! "No, she DIDN'T just do that!" "NO SHE DIDN'T" just have sex with a man and say "my body NEEDS this!" You are constantly left absolutely amazed with the boldness, brashness, and utter DIVA-ness of these crazy hoochie ghetto mamas, who do and say the things that you wouldn't dare do yourself. If you are into seeing beautiful black divas who know they da sh*t, work their bad-a** selves and shake their booties, and still come out clean without breakin their acrylic nails, then you will think this movie is off the hizzy. If you don't understand what I just meant when I said all that, then you probably won't appreciate the humor in these BLACK DIVAS!

3.0 out of 5 stars three Stars for Angela bassett. Buy the book instead., July 30 2003
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
Waiting to Exhale The movie is like a Cliff's note version of the book. A thin condensed version of the novel that skims the surface of the source material and gives the viewer a general overview of the actual story. This watered down movie dilutes the richness of Terry McMillan's novel and removes all the depth and substance from the characters. The key theme of women realizing that they make their own choices regarding the men in their lives is lost in the quest to commercialize black women's pain.
Angela Bassett gives a strong performance despite the weak material, however the other actors drown in this bland, homogenized movie that pushes style over subtance. A wooden Whitney Houston and a vapid Lela Rochon are horribly miscast, and Loretta Devine struggles to do her best with the weak script. The male actors with the exception of Gregory Hines, and Michael Beach cannot get past one dimension because the screenplay won't let them utilize all their acting skills. The Wesley Snipes cameo is indicative of what's wrong with this movie; it's a sellout of the original material. And that is the problem with Waiting to Exhale, a horrible script that compromises the artistic integrity of the original book. Terry McMillan and Ron Bass mistranslate a 400+ page deep novel full of three-dimensional characters, subtext and a complex plot into a shallow one-dimensional screenplay that has been sterilized for Hollywood. To really enjoy the story buy the book instead. It pulls no punches and will be far more entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Ensemble Performance, Feb. 2 2003
BookMania (Stafford, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
Terry McMillan is an incredible author, and she's terrific when it comes to juggling several subplots and interweaving them together to form a story. Waiting To Exhale is based on McMillan's novel by the same name.
This movie takes place within the course of a year - from one New Year's Eve to the next. It's about four black women who all have relationship problems involving their black significant others, and how they pull together to provide friendship and support for each other during these relationship woes. It would take a long time for me to describe the specifics behind their problems, but the one thing they have in common is their hatred of men, specifically black men.
The movie is an ensemble performance starring Whitney Houston, Angela Bassett, Loretta Devine, and Lela Rochon. While they each get equal billing, I enjoyed Bassett's performance them most. She received an Oscar nomination for this role, and it was definitely well-earned.
Though the movie was advertised as a romantic comedy, it's more a movie about friendship, and how men may come and go but your friends will always be there to catch you when you fall. This is a very nice movie, and definitely worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inhale. Exhale. Repeat., Sept. 29 2002
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
Depending on who you are, Terry McMillan's 1992 novel "Waiting to Exhale" is either a blessing or a dreaded curse. McMillan's third novel about four African American women struggling to attain stability, identity, and normalcy in Phoenix was praised in some circles for giving contemporary Black women a much-needed voice. But in other circles, mostly male, "Waiting to Exhale" was ripped to shreds as a spiteful and ungrounded damnation of Black men as philanderers, deadbeats, and no-good-dooers. It also made McMillan the biggest literary target of criticsm since Alice Walker unleashed her novel "the Color Purple." But whatever your take on the book is, the film adaptation won't likely change your stance, as it stays overall faithful to the book. Director Forest Whitaker does a respectable job bringing to life these characters: Savannah (Whitney Houston) is the buppie still in search for Mr. Right; Bernadine (Angela Bassett) just got dumped by her husband of 11 years for a white woman; Robin (Lela Rochon) is the ditzy bimbo still trying to shake off her no-good ex, and Gloria (Loretta Devine) is the full-figured owner of a successful hair salon. The best performances, hands down, are Bassett and Devine, who make the best impressions, and they help keep the film moving at a good pace. The script, co-written by McMillan, is crisp with enough funny one-liners and a story compelling enough to keep the viewer interested. But there are flaws. Whitney Houston struggles in her role as Savannah; her performance is wooden and forced, and when paired against a seasoned pro like Bassett, she flat out crumbles. A more relaxed approach to the material would have helped. Also, memo to Black filmmakers: drop the swishy gay hairdresser stereotype! It's tired, done a million times before, and, frankly, is grossly out of touch with reality. That aside, it's not often that a movie successfully adapts a novel as well as this one, and "Waiting to Exhale," warts and all, merits a B in my school of cinema.

4.0 out of 5 stars A HUMAN STORY, Sept. 13 2001
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
The first time I saw this film, several years ago, I was really annoyed by it. I wondered how I could relate to this film about adult, black women? I was a white teenage girl in the suburbs. Seeing Angela Bassett's character fight with her husband about his declaration of loving another woman, I did not have a clue how to relate to it. Not only had I never experienced any kind of mature, adult relationship, the racial issues that arise in their argument were completely foreign to me. The husband tells Bassett that he is in love with his secretary and is leaving Bassett for the secretary. Bassett angrily asks, "Is she white?" The husband asks, "Why? Would it be better if she were black?" Bassett retorts, "No, but it would be better if you were." However, when I saw it again when I got older, I found that the film was warm, funny, vengeful, true to life and universal. I guess this is the trick of making a film that features an almost all black cast. People who are not black might not see it because they feel like they are watching something outside their own experience, and yes, in many ways, like it or not, they are. However, the stories told here transgress a solely "black" experience and become a universally female experience. And even a human one. We all experience pain, loss, insecurity, self-doubt, and we turn to our friends to get through those times. Sometimes, as in the film, our friends lead totally different lifestyles from the ones we lead. The film actually portrays these women in a way that breaks stereotypes and focuses on how real people might deal with their real feelings. Or in the case of Angela Bassett setting her soon-to-be-ex-husband's car on fire in the driveway, well, maybe none of us would really do that, but I am sure we have all felt like it. Overall this was a well-acted, well-done film with universal themes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whitney movie!, March 2 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
This was a great Whitney movie. She did a great job and so did all the others. I feel that some people are unfair towards Whitney, sure she's not an oscar caliber actress, but she definitly is a GOOD ACTRESS. I really also liked her acting in The Bodyguard and The Preacher's Wife. All her 3 movies were good. The movie was funny, touching and I didn't find it to be male bashing but rather about experiences of a group of women friends. I am also happy that it was a great success at the box office because it's rare that a movie about black women can go no.1, but thanks to the star power of Whitney Houston, it debuted at no.1 and was a big hit despite being released in limited theaters because it's a black movie who are a minority in the US in terms of numbers. By the way, Wesley Snipes is in the movie, he chose not to be credited but he's there for several minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Whitney movie!, March 2 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! Angela Basset is the best!, Aug. 19 2001
Kenneth Tua (San Juan, Puerto Rico United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
I got to see this movie on HBO for the first time, and I had to get the VHS, then the DVD, and I still watch it like if it is a brand new film. The most outstanding aspect of this movie is the presence of Angela Basset, who proves again after "What's love got to do with it", that she's one of the best actresses walking on Hollywood. It is amazing the way she suffers, cries, screams, smiles, I mean everything about her in this movie leaves a mark. The message that this movie brings is beautiful, in fact it is stunning 'till the end, and watching how this four women overcome their mistakes and bad times is pretty much inspiring to anyone. This is the kind of movie that does'nt bores you in any part of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little melodramatic but I still loved it, May 11 2000
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
Every woman has a story of love lost and gained. This movie does well to illustrate the loves and lives of four beautiful black women. The most touching story was Angela Bassett's because we've all been there and love can HURT. After seeing the movie for the 50th time, this movie still touches me and it's still a joy to watch every now and then. This is a girl bonding flick and sometimes it's important to realize that sisters need to stick together through ALL times. That's what this movie is all about. Though the movie is not 100% faithful to the book,it still does a great job of pulling out the aspects that made the book popular in the first place. After all these years, the movie still manages to touch me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for white heterosexual males!, Nov. 24 1999
This review is from: Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) (DVD)
I'm not gay, but I loved this movie. When Angela Bassett (foxy, foxy FOXY!) burned that car I jumped up and yelled "You go, girl!" and I almost knocked over my wine spritzer. My mom was like "shut up." I gave her the finger but she didn't see because she was upstairs on "the machine." She's invalid, but she just says she's resting. Screw her. Walk! Anyway, I wish I was Whitney Houston. I'd punch that Bobby Brown in the teeth and then sleep in satin. My life makes me cry... I'm still waiting to exhale...

Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen)
Waiting to Exhale (Widescreen) by Forest Whitaker (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 21.64