5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith
There is only one Kevin Smith movie you really should watch, the others are OK but sub-par compared to this. If you work retail you are required to own this.
Published 6 months ago by Geordie A.

3.0 out of 5 stars What? What do you want?
Getting this movie caused a lot of arguments. In the UK, we tend to pronounce it with an 'a' - so Clarks! But I'm being American, so I pronounce it Clerks, which sounds right to me, but wrong to everyone else. So I still say "clerks" but then correct myself afterwards. (Hey, I'm easily confused, they say "clerks" in the damn movie!)
If you've ever...
Published on July 11 2004 by Meesha

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith, Sept. 28 2013
Geordie A. "G.A." (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars hugefan of kevin smith movies, Aug. 8 2012
i loved kevin smith movies since day 1 and if your a kevin smith movie fan then i highly recommed you buy this awesome boxset great movie and classic with abunch of good feaurettes to it
if there is a rating 10/10 this is what it gets thats just me tho too not fussy when it too kevin smith movies

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice celebration of an indie classic, Aug. 4 2006
Wade Tomlin (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you like Kevin Smith, you like Clerks. I realize that every rule has millions of exceptions, but Smiths low budget indie feature from 1994 reveals everything great (and not so great) about this director/writer/actor (if you call Silent Bob acting).

Clerks came out during an early 90's time-period when culture was taking a step sideways instead of forward. A generation brought up with 80's hair metal, Eddie Murphy movies and The Cosby Show wanted something different. Instead of moving forward, our culture wanted smarter versions of the established entertainment, music fans embraced Nirvana and Pearl Jam, television watchers tuned into Seinfeld and film embraced new visions from the likes of Quentin Tarantino. Enter Kevin Smith into this time with his no budget masterpiece that probably wouldn't have been seen if it were made five years later.

What made Clerks stand out was its revelation that a great script is all you need to make a great movie. You didn't enjoy Clerks because of its A- list actors, big budget action sequences or filmmaking tricks that director's greatly over hype; you liked Clerks because it was funny and relatable. Smith's writing captured the everyday feel of his early 20's life as his main characters Dante and Randal's shift at the Quick Stop and RST Video becomes an unexpectedly crazy journey. Dante's struggle with his inability to resolve the issues in his life is what lies at the heart of every great Kevin Smith film. Right up to Clerks II he is a master at writing a realistic interpretation of male insecurity. Dante and Randal both remain believable male characters even while revealing feelings that many males may never actually talk about. Randal becomes the voice of the audience watching the shenanigans of Dante's life unfold trying to make Dante realize his life is ultimately up to him, while cracking the comments and flipping the bird to his work commitments that both the audience and Dante envy.

The 10th Anniversary DVD holds up surprisingly well as the makers realized that most followers of Smith's had seen this film dozens of time (if not more). Instead of simply providing a nicer looking version of the original, the package contains two must haves for collectors. The first is the original version of Clerks that appeared at New York's Independent Feature Film Market, which started the ball rolling on Clerk's eventually being picked up by Miramax. The original version reveals the dark tone that Smith was originally going for an ending that reveals Dante's struggles to be very small in life's grand scheme (if you see it you'll understand). The other added element is The Snowball Effect, a documentary about the making of Clerks that takes you from Smith's humble beginnings in New Jersey to his the joy of his $27,000 flick being picked up. The documentary is as addictive as the original Clerks as the sheer audacity and long shot reality of Smith's venture, a young man mortgaging his future on a small flick, is an amazing feat to revisit.

With the release of Clerks II there might be more of an audience for Smith's original. If you wish to indulge in this deluxe package it is worth it, unless of course you are one of the million of exceptions to the originally stated rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you're looking for quality than look no further!!!, Sept. 8 2004
mike nero (welland, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
PLEASE do NOT pay any attention to the first review -- that guy is a moron and wouldn't know a good film if it slapped him in the face (which i feel like doing after reading his lame ass excuse for being Roger Ebert) He didnt like the film because it's in B&W -- NICE -- i guess we should dismiss Citizen Kane as a great film as well then -- IDIOT!!! This is the film that started it all -- part 1 of the New Jersey Trilogy and by far Kevin Smith's BEST film -- i need not say any more EXCEPT that if you plan on buying ANY movie and this isn't already part of your collection, then your collection will never be complete until it is!!! watch it for yourself and enjoy pure comedic genious and wit at its best -- as for "Anthony" -- stick to "She's All That" because you don't even deserve to put this film into your DVD player!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite comedy, July 19 2004
This review is from: Clerks: Collector's Series (DVD)
This has to be my all time favorite comedy and one of my all time favorites overall. About three years ago a friend of mine came to school one day raving about the funniest movie he had seen on late night. He talked about this black and white low budget movie about two blue collar losers who talked endlessly about sex. From that description I wasn't anticipating a masterpiece but I decided to rent it anyway. It was probably the best surprise I have ever had. I was laughing the entire time, so much so that I nearly woke up everyone in my house. For months afterwards my friend and I would endlessly talk about and quote this incredible film. Everyone I have recommended it to has loved it and I can easily see why. I know that some people attack the movie as being vulgar and excessive. The way I see it it is being true to life (I'm sure that when you have 10 hours to kill you'll talk about the average pay of a gizz mopper). In short I absolutely love this film and it gets better and better with every viewing. Rent this film as soon as possible if you haven't already.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie, July 14 2004
the others have already shown what the special features are so i'll just say that I cannot wait until september 7th. This is a great movie and I would suggest buying this even if you already have the first release edition. The extras themselves are worth the money. This is the best Kevin Smith Movie ever. Dogma, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are great movies but, aren't as good. I'm not even going to include Jersey Girl. Back to the point, this is definetly worth buying and is a classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars What? What do you want?, July 11 2004
This review is from: Clerks: Collector's Series (DVD)
If you've ever worked as a 'clerk', then you'll really identify with this film. I'm currently working as a waitress, so I didn't identify so much with Dante (although I do get a lot of stupid questions), but I did see a lot of a guy I know, who works in a video store, in Randal, the video store clerk! Much of his lines resulted in me laughing out loud, and saying that they were exactly the same! (Or I imagine them to be the same). My favourite line has to be where Dante says to Randal that he has a customer, and he turns round, with this expression on his face, and says "What? What do you want?"
This was one of the first outings for Jay & Silent Bob, who are both legends. I already have Chasing Amy, Dogma, and now this on DVD, and am now after Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (I've seen it, just don't have it), and Mallrats. Both of which are proving very hard to get hold of, particularly Mallrats. I officially love Silent Bob (played by Kevin Smith), and despite him speaking in nearly every film in which he plays Silent Bob, I still get a shock when he does speak!
This film is very low budget, and filmed entirely in black & white - which really annoyed me, as I thought my DVD player had gone wrong! (I've actually watched a whole film in black & white - 8 Mile - thinking it was actually in black & white, but my DVD player had decided to be stupid) The entire production costs for this film were $26,800. Combined, the cost of Clerks production and soundtrack was $50,000. This is approximately the cost per second of making Titanic! Also, there are not a lot of sets, and there are a lot of the same actors included. It's very much a film involving two main characters, who talk back & forth. It can get quite tedious, between funny lines, and Jay dancing and singing (yeh!) yet again!
There's an alternate ending on the DVD, but I have to say I preferred the original ending. There are also a lot of deleted scenes, with introductions from Kevin Smith. I tend to skip most of these, as boy, does this guy like the sound of his own voice!
There are some terrific and extremely quotable lines (if only I could remember them, to quote to people!) in this! Some of the best are:
Dante Hicks: Are there any balls down there?
Jay: About the biggest pair you ever seen, dingleberry!
Randal Graves: You know who I could do without? I could do without the people in the video store.
Dante Hicks: Which ones?
Randal Graves: All of them.
[A series of clips]
Bed Wetting Dad: What would you get for a six-year-old who chronically wets his bed?
Video Confusion Customer: So, do you have any new releases in?
[Zoom out to see a huge sign that says "NEW RELEASES" directly above her]
Low I.Q. Video Customer: Do you have that one with that guy who was in the movie that was out last year?
Randal Graves: They never rent quality flicks. They always pick the most intellectually devoid movies on the rack.
Low I.Q. Video Customer: OOOOH! NAVY SEALS!
Randal Graves: It's like in order to join, they have to have an I.Q. that's less than their shoe size.
Dante Hicks: You think you get stupid questions? You should hear the barrage of stupid questions I get.
[More clips]
Cold Coffee Lover: What do mean there's no ice? You mean I gotta drink this coffee hot?
Candy Confusion Customer: So how much is this thing anyway?
[Zoom out to see a huge "EVERYTHING ONLY 99¢" sign behind her]
Hubcap Searching Customer: Do you sell hubcaps for a '72 Pinto hatchback? Ooh, Mini-Trucker Magazine!
Jay: Noinch, Noinch, Noinch, Schmokin Weed, Schmokin' Weed, Doin' Coke, Drinkin' Beers...
There's a few more, but I suppose it depends on your sense of humour.
Despite being a little slow, this is a good film, although not as good as Dogma (my fave Jay & Silent Bob flick). Just prepare yourself for some tedious dialogue, including lots of s*x and Star Wars talk!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait!!!, July 6 2004
Michael Minutaglio (Staten Island, NY) - See all my reviews
Here's a current list of what's slated to be on the three disc "Clerks X" box set...
The 93 minute "Clerks" Theatrical cut- All new HiDef transfer from 16mm IP supervised by Dave Klein with all-new 5.1 Skywalker Sound remix supervised by Scott Mosier, includes original commentary track from laser disc/initial DVD release (Disc One)

The 103 minute "Clerks" IFFM First Cut, includes all-new audio/video commentary track with Kevin, Scott, Jeff Anderson, Brian O'Halloran and Jason Mewes. (Disc Two)

The 95 minute "The Snowball Effect: The Story of Clerks" Brand Spanking New Documentary that inteviews almost everybody who ever had something to do with "Clerks" (Disc Three)

The MTV Jay and Silent Bob shorts that everyone's been crying for us to put on a DVD for years now

The Arclight 10th Anniversary Q&A with Brian, Jeff, Marilyn, Scott, Dave, Mewes, and me

Lots of new video intros
"The Flying Car" short from the Tonight Show (re-telecined in HiDef)
The Original theatrical trailer

'Clerks' Trivia track
Original 168-page original first draft screenplay
Kevin's 'Clerks' Journal
Kevin's 'Sundance' Journal
Peter Broderick's 1992 article "The ABC's of No-Budget Filmmaking" that inspired the budget for 'Clerks'
Peter Broderick's followup article "Learning from Low-Budgets" a year later that does the same treatment on 'Clerks'
Amy Taubin's Village Voice article on the 1991 IFFM and 'Slacker' that inspired Kevin to take 'Clerks' to the IFFM
Amy Taubin's Village Voice article on the 1993 IFFM about 'Clerks' being the gem of the festival
Janet Maslin's 1994 New York Times review of 'Clerks' entitled "At a Convenience Store, Coolness To Go"
The entire John Pierson 'The Odd Couple: Sundance 1994" Chapter from 'Spike Mike Reloaded' book
The original Kevin-penned IFFM program note
The original Bob Hawk-penned 1994 Sundance Film Festival program note
"Mae Day" - Kevin and Scott's Vancouver Film School documentary short
Booklet.
This looks like an AWESOME set, and well deserved as CLERKS is one of if no the best film ever!!! I am looking forward to this!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Film of '94...It Says So On The Box!, June 29 2004
This review is from: Clerks: Collector's Series (DVD)
I bought this movie four weeks ago without knowing what I was buying. My older brother, Ryan, is always going on and on about how great it was. So I bought it. The movie is incredible. I would buy it with the Clerks Animated Series, which while not that great, is a good extension on the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Realistic Movie!, June 28 2004
This review is from: Clerks: Collector's Series (DVD)
"Clerks" is a movie written and directed by Kevin Smith. I have almost seen all of Smiths works. He has made six movies in total. The ones I have seen are "Clerks," "Mallrats," "Chasing Amy," "Dogma," and "Jersey Girl." The one I didn't see was "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" but I plan on seeing that. I have already rewarded "Dogma" with five stars, and this is probably the second best movie that he has made. The difference is that this movie is probably more realistic. The entire movie is just conversations between these characters except for one scene one the roof with a hockey match. The entire film is shot in black and white and the movie works better with the black and white. The color could describe the lives of the characters. There lives aren't so great to have everything in color, and the black and white shows how everything is the same. Every day for these characters is the same. "Clerks" is hilarious, fun, and provides some very insightful dialouge. Interesting dialouge is things about "Star Wars", the customers, and just everyday things. It is very interesting to hear what these people have to say. They are saying things that me and you would say.
The movie is a day in the life of two grocery store clerks. Dante and Randall. Dante has to get up every mourning, clean the grafitti off the side of the store, and have to deal with various customers. Some make him angry, and some of the them aren't a problem at all. Randall is the wise cracking and insightful guy who works right next door at the video store. The only thing is, he works in the video store, but he is always hanging out with Dante at the grocery store with the name Quick Stop. Throughout the movie, we get a look at the character's personal lives. Dante is dating Veronica Loughran, but he really wants to go out with Caitlin Bree, who he has liked since high school. As the day goes on, Dante and Randall have encounters with a hocket game that Dante has to go play, a funeral, and Jay and Silent Bob, who are two drug addicts. Jay, who is always talking and using profanity in his dialouge, while Silent Bob never talks. Every now and then he'll say one word or so, but mostly he just stands there and smokes with Jay. Dante knows that the day will end soon, but it's getting there that'll be hard.
"Clerks" was a great movie. It was one of the most entertaining movies that I have ever seen, and at a 90 minute running time, it felt that it was very fast. Some of the conversations were very interesting, my favorite being the one about Star Wars, and which movie is better. "The Empire Strikes Back," or "Return of the Jedi." It is very interesting to hear what Dante and Randall have to say about each movie. "Clerks" has been around for about ten years now, and a Ten Year Anniversary DVD is coming this year. Be sure to check it out once it comes out. The movie was originally going to be NC-17 only because of the dialouge, but an appeal brought it down to an R. I didn't think that the dialouge was that bad or explicit, but in 1994 it was a different time, and this movie is very different from others.
ENJOY!
Rated R on appeal for extensive use of extremely explicit sex-related dialogue.

ARRAY(0xab5e53d8)

Clerks: Collector's Series
Clerks: Collector's Series by Kevin Smith (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 10.53