5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective!
Published on March 15 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars This meditation system makes some strange claims.
First off, these are some very relaxing cds. Got them as a gift, and i'm very happy with the gift, suited me perfectly. I don't relax well, think too much, etc.
If you're like me, and think too much, don't read the booklet that comes with the cds. They make some strage and false claims.
The most bizzare and glaringly false claim is that, "These...
Published on March 2 2003 by smackpixi

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective!, March 15 2003
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
One of the other reviewers agreed that the CD was very effective, but concluded that Dr. Jeffrey Thompson was a "quack" because the reviewer didn't understand how stereo speakers could possibly reproduce the very low frequencies for Theta: 5-7 CPS. The problem is that the reviewer was ignorant of the technology used by Dr. Thompson, which is only briefly referred to in the materials. Dr. Thompson utilizes a technology similar to that of the Monroe Institute, who has called it "Hemi-synch". The concept is that sounds are played on both the left and right stereo channels, and are electronically modified so that they are out of synch by the frequency you are trying to achieve in the brain...6 CPS, for example, if you want Theta brainwaves. This accomplishes two things: 1. It synchronizes the two hemispheres of the brain (a very good thing) and 2. It generates a 6 CPS pulse, which tends to entrain the brainwaves to that same frequency. This is a very, very effective technique, as is demonstrated by the effectiveness of the Theta Meditation System. I highly recommend these CDs for people who wish to attain the Theta state for relaxation or for personal metaphysical exploration. This is a proven technology, and far more effective than simple "New Age" relaxation music, since this technology directly drives the brain to create the frequencies desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for surgery and sleep disorders!, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
I've had this meditation CD set for about a year and a half now. I received it as a gift. The first time I listened to it, I was tired, as I had not been sleeping well, and was just dignosed with a sleep disorder, and I slept until the phone rang!
I recently had surgery, and decided to use the 2nd CD while I was in the hospital, and was even allowed to take the CD and my portable with head phones into the OR, until I was out (the anesthesiologist was concerned that the CD player may have some affect on his equipment.) I felt very relaxed going into surgery, and took this and a number of other CDs to the hospital with me. I used this set before and after the surgery and I can say it helped immensely! (although the hospital food was another story - I refuse to go there! :)
After getting some hot blankets on the area of my incision, I put on my head phones and was feeling great for having just had fairly major surgery.
I still have some pain, and still use this CD when I am hurting, as well as reading. The first Cd is a bit much to try to sleep to, but I'll probably get the Delta slep set for that, but this set has helped me sleep so much that I now have a dentist that uses his CD while drilling and cleaning teeth, and he also seems happy with the results... less pain killers, faster recovery time (and yes, my surgery recovery has been nothing short of miraculous, and has all the doctors wondering, although if I ate food like they served in the hospital, and lifted 10 lbs. right out of surgery, I can certainly understand why!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your mind wander..., Feb. 17 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
There is a scientific principle called entrainment. If two items are vibrating side by side at different speeds then the item that vibrates at the lower speed will adjust to vibrate at the same frequency as the other object.

Examples of this are swings in a playground that are swinging out of sync and adjust. Also, in a clock store you may notice the pendulum clocks of the same size swinging back and forth in unison.

Research has been done into the brainwaves of people in relaxed meditative states, such as yogis, swamis and creative people. Dr T has incorporated these brainwave patterns into his music to entrain your mind to reach the Theta state.

So, if you were to be subjected to these Theta waves which are embedded in the relaxing sounds, your mind will gradually reattune itself, so you can reach a similar state. This change is not permanent. Yet , the more you listen to it the more you will learn to attain these states yourself, effortlessly, and access a deeper part of self.

Dr Jeffrey Thompson has done extensive research into stress and the power of relaxing music and entrainment and has used that research to create pulses, chord patterns, sounds from nature such as sea, rainfall, bird songs, whales and dolphins. Sometimes these sounds are electronically changed to accelerate the mental response to get to the Theta state.

Theta is a state of mind associated with creativity, relaxation, and problem solving, and sleep. Have you ever been thinking about a problem and then you wake up in the middle of the night, with the solution, an aha moment. Well, you were probably in a Theta state. As you listen you may notice relaxing peaceful imagery flowing through your mind.

If you have never used this type of music before, don't you think you should give it a go. This program enables emotional clearing, problem solving, creative visualization, intuition and stress reduction, and insight. The accompanying booklet contains guided meditation and instruction to enhance the process.

If you are interested in this CD for emotional clearing, I highly recommend you look into EFT (emotional freedom technique) which is a simple and easy acupressure technique which can be done in about two minutes. Imagine easily letting go of phobias, stress, depression, trauma, forgiveness etc. You can download a free manual at [...] or buy various books on the subject at Amazon.

I highly recommend another of Dr T's products Awakened Mind system, which I find very good for creativity. You will be so glad to have that product.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works amazing, Jan. 12 2013
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
I have tried many different meditation types and this is the only one that really really gets me relaxed and to be able to meditate. It is best used with good headphones or ear buds in. Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you into the Theta state, Feb. 1 2004
Mikhail Gavryuchkov (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
I have been using these CDs for meditation for about 4 month and I really enjoy them. They really bring me to the Theta state: half sleeping, half awake.
I bought this CD set together with several Brainsync's cassettes and after awhile stopped using Brainsync's in favor of this one.
I have just ordered and received Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's "Delta sleeping" and "Alpha relaxation". I hope they are of the same level as the "Theta".

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes Awhile To Get Used To These CDs, Jan. 27 2004
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
When I first got these CDs I wanted to try something new as my regular zen meditation had not progressed much in the last couple years. It took me a week to get used to meditating with the headphones on, and longer to get used to meditating to music. I found the whole experience quite distracting and I probably would have given the CDs away if not for the fact that the creepy section in the middle of track2/disc1 always put me into a brief trance. After 2 months of daily half-hour meditation, all 4 tracks in this set began to really anchor down my awareness, and for the first time in a decade of meditation practice, I managed to work my way up to 40-50 minutes of continuous sitting meditation in half-lotus.
What I am getting at is, don't throw this out if you fail to become one with the universe at first listening. The brainwave entrainment comes with practice, in my experience. And yes, eventually you get used to the bodhrans as well (it's only a minute or so long).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Chronic Pain Management, Oct. 22 2003
"jimdcs" (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
Part of the regimen my pain clinic designed for me is meditation - biofeedback. I also use meditation to help minimize the side effects of the pain management medications I'm on - all of which affect brain function. I use lots of different meditation CDs in different places and different times to help me function through pain, lessen the anxiety that comes with not being able to escape it, and keep my stress level down. They're all good but nothing compares to these CDs. If you buy only one meditation resource choose this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works! BUY ALL OF THESE SETS!, Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
Get all of the sets without the subliminal messages. My husband and I ended up buying Delta Sleep 2-CD set for me (And it DOES help!)...This set, the THETA 2-CD set, (the 2nd track on the 2nd CD is AWESOME......one feels like they're in a Native-American/Shaman-type of a trance,about to meet their 'spiritual animal or angel or something!)and also THE AWAKENED MIND CD is verrry relaxing yet euphoric to work to or study to or just relaxing with the eyes closed. These CD's take you on such mind-journeys:) You feel like you go to far-off lands and planets!
You will not waste your money on any of these sets!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for meditation, Jan. 22 2002
walkta "walkta" (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for meditation, Aug. 21 2001
walkta "walkta" (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Theta Meditation System (Audio CD)
There are two CDs in this set: The first contains music that can be a little bit distracting while you're meditating, but I found that it's good for studying. The second, designed to put you deeper into Theta, will keep you sitting lotus style until your legs cramp up, and then some. Be aware that these recordings work by syncing your left and right brain, and that means that you need headphones for the maximum effect. But if you are like me, easily distracted by stray thoughts during meditation, then these recordings will help with your focus. (Refers to 1999 release.)