5.0 out of 5 stars Home, warmth, love and sincerity

Published on March 13 2004 by jim grohe

5.0 out of 5 stars Home, warmth, love and sincerity, July 6 2004
Nigel Sawyer (Decatur, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
Four words spring to mind whenever I hear this classic 1971 album from Carole King - home, warmth, love and sincerity. Even the half-lit album cover of a barefoot Carole with her cat sitting by a window somewhat evokes this. There's just something very reassuring and familiar about this album, perfect for listening to if you're feeling sentimental on a rainy day, or optimistic on a spring morning. "Tapestry" arrived at something of a strange time for music. The idealism and politically-inspired music of the 60's had come to an end, and as if to let everyone know the 60's had well and truly finished, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin had all passed on while the Beatles, the Supremes and Simon & Garfunkel had all gone their separate ways. Music seemed unsure where to go until glam rock and progressive rock developed, along with disco later. It was during this "void" in 1970/71 that songwriters of the 50's and 60's seem to emerge as the hitmakers of the day with songs that often told stories; people such as Neil Sedaka, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, James Taylor and Carole King. "It's Too Late" was one of those songs I'd always hear on the radio and I bought "Tapestry" on the strength of liking that song alone. I recognized the titles "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" and "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman" from the versions made hits by The Shirelles and Aretha Franklin respectively, and when I listened to the album I discovered "I Feel The Earth Move" was the same song as that made a hit by Martika in the UK in 1989. There isn't one song on this album I don't like, but "So Far Away" is probably my favorite on the album. "You've Got A Friend" is another track that particularly stands out for me. I read an interview with Alanis Morissette in 1996 in which she said the middle 8 in that song just killed her every time she heard it, and I know what she means. You look forward to hearing it as much, if not more so, than the song itself. The simplicity of the recordings on this album by using just drums, piano and bass is very effective and what give the album it's weight in gold as much as Carole King's brilliant songwriting. In this case, less is definitely more. Terrific album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Sound!, June 15 2007
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There's nothing like a classic album and few would argue with Carole King's "Tapestry" album. "It's Too Late" wasn't the only major hit off this album. Aretha Franklin had her own hit with King's penned, "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman". James Taylor hit gold with her, "You've Got A Friend". "Smackwater Jack" got a jazz infusion by "The Manhattan Transfer". In fact, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" was covered by: Cher, The Bee Gees, Dusty Springfield, Dave Mason, The Four Seasons, Laura Branigan, Melanie, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Roberta Flack, Joe Walsh and The Shirelles, to name just a few. Some would argue Carol's version is the definitive, but it's all in the ear. In SACD format, Carole sings in your living room, just as she still does with ongoing tours. This album is a must-have. This SACD is stereo only, despite the Multi-channel reference on the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Landmark Album., May 28 2004
Pedro Tejada (West Palm Beach,FL,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
When I first heard about Tapestry and Carole King,for that matter(2 years ago,I'm only 14!) on some Vh1 "Greatest Albums" countdown,I wanted to buy right when I finished hearing about it.As a matter of fact,Carole and Tapestry is the reason I listen to classic rock so much!But Tapestry is much more than some classic rock album.It's a fusion of soul,realism,earthiness,and beatiful lyrics written by an amazing singer/songwriter.The best white soul tracks on this classic are:Carole's 1971 version of "You Make Me Feel(Like A Natural Woman)",the down-to-earth "I Feel The Earth Move",and the cool "It's Too Late".And while The Shirelles' version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" is a great classic yet a little childish,Carole makes it more mature and makes it age a little better,too.And if you're a college student,this album is for you,especially track number 4,"Home Again"!But the best song here by far is the beautiful "So Far Away",where Carole shows so much vulnerability and so much genuity that this song is definitely a landmark album,and it is my personal favorite,too!And Carole's vocals are amazing on this album,and she may not be screaming,but she still can hold her own.And there is no imbalance in this CD,it;s the perfect ratio of rock on and cry your heart out,as weird as that sounds!
The Verdict:This Amazing Classic Deserved To Sell This Much And,At Least I Think,Deserved To Sell Even More!Thank You Carole!
Recommended:Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS SACD IS A MUST OWN, July 26 2003
David B. Bennett "Rock The Book Man" (The Land of Enchantment, New Mexico, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is for the SACD version of TAPESTRY. Everyone knows the story behind TAPESTRY, little unknown singer-songwriter makes an album in the early 70's that goes on to become the largest selling album in history, (at that time.) But the multi-channel SACD version of this classic album is just the best. Simply put, the 5.1 surround sound mix of TAPESTRY is what SACD is all about. If you are lucky enough to own a 5.1 SACD set-up, this disc is a must own. If you do not own a surround sound SACD set up, this disc is the reason to buy such a hi-fi. The vocal placement and piano tracks sound absolutely ethereal. This surround sound SACD places the listener right in the middle of the music, in a most pleaseing way. But that is not all. The DSD transfer of the music itself is flawless, with transients that are so sonic and real, you would swear that the band was performing live right there for you. One might not associate Carole King with loud music, but put this disc on, shut off the lights, sit in the middle of a good 5.1 surrouns sound speaker set up, turn up the volume and then just press play. This disc will blow you away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy back ones youth, Dec 10 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
As the search for vinyl turned from a romp to the local music store to a search in the antique mall. I realized it was time to switch to CD's. With limited space and no future for many old vinyl friends it was time to round them up and release them to the local used book store. I cried and could only hope they would find a home that would cherish them.

It did not take long before I realized I missed them. So now I spend my days waiting for them to be reincarnated. Some that return are so tinny in sound that I can not believe they were that way to begin with. Others are so mangled that the original pattern of tunes is lost for ever.

It may be the result of time but I found this album to be all I remember and then some. It is well worth the purchase.

"Tapestry" is the best representation of Carol King and her music. If you only buy one, this is it. And you will feel the earth move under your feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy back ones youth, Oct. 2 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carole King's 1971 Masterpiece!, July 3 2004
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
If you remember listening to radio back in 1971 there was no way you wouldn't hear Carole King's beautiful "It's Too Late". This album contains that hit plus other gems such as "Smackwater Jack", "I Feel The Earth Move" (one of my all time favs), the beautiful ballad "So Far Away", the song James Taylor made so popular "You've Got A Friend" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman". All classic songs! This edition of Tapestry also includes two unreleased songs "Out In The Cold" and "Smackwater Jack" (a live version). The entire cd is remastered and sounds great. Carole King was one cool and talented lady (she also wrote songs for The Monkees among others). If you like Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt then you'll love Carol King's classic "Tapestry".

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Excellent After All These Years, Sept. 26 2010
Ron Kearse (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
I was fourteen years old when Tapestry was released in 1971. It was my first year of high school, life seemed bigger to me than it ever had, and such musicians as: Cat Stevens, Three Dog Night, James Taylor and Carole King were in the background singing the soundtrack of my life. I am now 53 years old and I still enjoy this CD immensely. Not only does it bring back really great memories of my youth, but it is just a great CD. From the opening piano chords of I Feel The Earth Move, to the hits It's Too Late and Smackwater Jack, to her slowed down versions Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow and You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman, King has proven this soft rock masterpiece has stood the test of time. Almost 40 years later Tapestry is still a wonderful listening experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great album content but SACD quality blows, March 13 2004
If you have this on CD, do NOT buy the SACD -- there is no advantage to the new mix, and no quality improvement. Maybe the masters were in bad shape -- but given the stunning quality work done on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (a 30 year old recording) and the sweet sounds of the Billy Joel releases, you've got to think that this one was just a "slam it onto SACD" job, with no attention paid to remastering or cleaning up or even optimally extracting the sound from the masters. Don't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's great, but there are others!!, June 7 2004
This review is from: Tapestry (Audio CD)
I was just reviewing the reviews on Amazon of Carole King's "Tapestry" album (that's what we still call those discs) to get some info on something I'm putting together.
I see alot of people have just discovered this album in the last couple of years, at least judging by the Amazon.com hits/reviews. Great!
This was a HUGE LP when I was in H.S. (Class of '73)! And it was a great LP then and it still is. So, for those who liked that LP, have you tried "Between The Lines" by Janis Ian? Great lyrics & musicanship! 'Course, she'll make you want to slit your wrists with that album. But, I still throw it into the CD player, now and then.
For those of you who are willing to venture far(very way far)afield, for melancholic, but great writing, try Sinatra's "In The Wee Small Hours" LP/CD, or his happier "love" CD (and also with great writing) "Songs For Swinging Lovers." These two albums, like Carole King's, are also "concept" albums, wherein the whole album is like a "story", or they are trying to evoke a certain and specific mood.
Later, in the mid Seventies, I discovered the probably ultimate "concept" album. That is Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" album.
Try these albums, even if you "think" you don't like these "genres".

Tapestry
Tapestry by Carole King (Audio CD - 1999)