Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 28, 2012
Some people on here wrote some very upsetting reviews. I ordered anyways. I don't know what the problem is. I got all the movies that were described here and some. No errors with the discs another person said. As for the Grinch this is the original Grinch, it's the same as the deluxe version you can buy on here. The original Grinch was 30 minutes long. Same with year without a Santa Claus, it is also the same Deluxe version you can also buy.

These aren't the official classics but a few on here are classics. I'd recommend purchasing the other holiday classics sets.

This set has;

Grinch (Deluxe)(original Dr Suess classic)
Leprechauns Christmas Gold
Pinocchio's Christmas
The Stingiest Man In Town
The Year Without A Santa Claus(Deluxe)(original Rankin/bass classic)
Rudolph's Shiny New Year(the original Rankin/bass classic)
Nestor, The Long Eared Christmas Donkey
Frostys Winter Wonderland.
Twas the Night Before Christmas.
Frostys Christmas In July (not listed on the box anywhere but Included.)

The Other Set;

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (original Rankin/bass classic)
Cricket on the Hearth
Frosty the Snowman (original Rankin/bass classic)
Frosty Returns (original Rankin/bass classic)
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (original Rankin/bass classic)
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol
The Little Drummer Boy

Hope I've cleared up some confusion. Have Fun. I have both for my Christmas collection.
on March 18, 2004
Everything you read is true! This Grinch is yellow and drab. The disk lacks the wonderful bright colors that everyone has a right to expect when buying the DVD version of a TV special they could see every year for free. Not that there is anything wrong with original--it's fabulous, 5-stars as far as Christmas specials go. But this version is thoroughly ruined by bad mastering. Wait for the re-release. Don't get caught! The correction is probably on its way and you can be sure they won't sneak it out--it will have new packaging, probably some new extras, and be clearly marked "remastered".
If you own the DVD and have your doubts (some reviewers seem to), try this: Take a look at the documentary extra hosted by Troy McClure. Throughout the documentary, they run clips of the Grinch in the background where the color is RIGHT! A beautiful bright-green Grinch--just like you remember. Compare that to the main feature (the thing you actually paid for), where he is washed out and nearly yellow.
After living 15 years in Denmark I really came to miss some of the Christmas specials from my youth in the USA. I suppose anybody in the US with cable gets quite sick of these, but for me, the Grinch and Charlie Brown's Christmas were always an important part of building the Christmas spirit. Well, the spirit here seems to be all about greed and incompetence; sell the defective version this year, then sell the corrected version to the same people next year.
on October 1, 2001
Chuck Jones, America's premiere comic animator was firing on all pistons when he adapted Dr. Seuss' famous tale of the small hearted Grinch and his good hearted dog Max who almost stopped Christmas from coming. This version is new and improved. While the last DVD included both stories of the unlucky "Whos" with a blow by blow commentary, the new digitally enhanced version includes a sweet little documentary hosted by our sadly departed Saturday Night Live comic Phil Hartman. There is only a slight improvement in the digitally enhanced version over the early analog copy. One of the things people find most peculiar things about watching the Grinch is that he is mustard yellow with a brown collar. This is extra disturbing now as on the DVD cover and the new Jim Carrey live action Grinch is very green. When the Grinch steals into Whoville on Christmas eve you will notice he becomes a bit greener because it is a convention in animation to add blue to the paint at night. So rest assured, especially those of you who purchase the digitally enhanced copy, they did not screw up the color. Notice the green packages and the plonking Who-blonkers have many perfectly subtle shades of green when the Grinch stands near. An interesting bit of Grinch trivia is the identity of the deep voiced singer who sang the song about the evil Mr. Grinch. Why it is none other but the voice of children's cereal favorite Tony the Tiger, Thurl Ravenscroft. He was hired to do the voice at the last minute and did the whole thing in just a couple hours and left. He was never credited in the film and Dr. Suess apologized to him later as his voice helped make the film immortal.Boris Karloff narrates and voices the Grinch. If you wish to reminisce about the original children's book, type "Grinch text" into your search engine and select the top choices and you can re-read the text and see the original illustrations.
Included on the disc is "Horton Hears a Who". The story of the faith of the good-hearted elephant with big ears who recognizes that a person is a person no matter how small. Horton hears a "Who" on a dust speck and must convince his unbelieving friends and the evil Wickersham brothers not to "Boil that dust speck". Either version, Digitally enhanced or not are fairly comparable if you are interested in just the movies. Neither version is widescreen as the cartoon was made for TV.
Its classic timeless Christmas tale with nice extras including its welcome companion Horton.
on December 11, 2010
We were really disappointed. The item description on Amazon made it sound like these were the classic shows that we watched as kids, but the only one that was the one we wanted was the original Grinch. The others were actually sequels. The originals for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman were NOT on here, but some different sequels that came out after apparently that neither one of us had seen. This was NOT the one we wanted and we were disappointed, but of course couldn't return it because we took the plastic wrap off to watch them, only to find out as we were watching them that they weren't the right ones...
on November 17, 2014
Bought it for the Grinch and other classics I may not have seen before. Not a great listing of what's on the discs so here you go: Disc 1: Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon with Boris Karloff) also on this disc, The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold, Pinnocchio's Christmas, The Stingiest Man in Town. Disc 2: The Year Without a Santa Claus (deluxe edition) also includes Rudolf's Shiny New Year, Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey Disc 3: Frosty's Winter Wonderland, Twas The Night Before Christmas. Disc 4: Rudolf and Frosty's Christmas in July. enjoy!
on December 23, 2005
I adore the movie. It has to be the best Christmas movie out there! It teaches children to not be greedy, and to lve and share not matter how you feel about that person. It is a movie for people of all ages. I have the animated version and the the real one. I have been watching it since as long as i can remember. A movie that eveybody should buy and definetly keep for your children or friends. Every christmas we always get up early so we put on "how the grinch stole christmas" and watch it until everybody in the house is awake. I would watch it when it would be the first day of fall that it snows. Just the best movie anybody could watch. Everything in it was superb and cute. The songs are the type that you can sing along to and watch little children dance. I just absolutely love it! People may think that it is childish but i can't stop watching it ove and over again. I must know all the words to it now. I was about to go to HMV and buy it for my twin daughters when my husband brought it home. It is a movei that everybody will remember, and laugh about no matter what.
on December 25, 2003
These are two excellent stories and my kids love them as much as I do. Unfortunately, Warner Bros appears to have done the DVD on the cheap.
The overall color is much improved, very bright and vivid (the yellow Grinch not withstanding), but absolutely no effort was made to clean up the picture. Defects and noise that don't show up on VHS are very distracting on the DVD. There are several scenes where you can see the background disruption caused by layering animation of the Grinch over a static background. Probably normal back in 1966 for television animation, but a real indicator of the lack of effort put into this DVD. I also see no reason that the fade-to-black cuts designed for commercials could not be deleted, I could do that on my home software with almost no effort.
Since Warner Bros does not advertise this as remastered or enhanced then I guess there was no foul on their part, but I expect a quality improvement when an old classic goes to DVD. That is the reason most people buy DVD's to begin with. I don't know how a company can expect you to spend money to replace movies you already have on video if they don't give you something for your money.
The background pieces are good, but these are not new. All Warner Bros did was toss a couple of existing products on the disc. Once again, the least expensive route.
Warner Bros is also on a cost cutting binge with their DVD cases. This was the first of many Warner Bros DVD's I bought or received this Christmas that came in fiberboard cases rather than the standard plasctic DVD case. I suspect that these cheaper cases will not stand up to repeated use by my children.
I will definitely think twice before buying another Warner Bros product anytime soon.
Overall, I recommend both of these stories/cartoons to everyone, they are the product of genius, but until a remastered product is released I recommend the VHS version.
on November 14, 2003
Over the past few days, I've gotten into the Christmas spirit (already; as of this review, it's only mid-November), so I figured I'd review one of my favorite holiday memories now available on DVD.
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is undeniably my favorite animated Christmas special. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph and Frosty are great, of course, but the Grinch is the cream of the crop. Wonderful narration by Boris Karloff, immaculate animation and that special "Christmas vibe" you get when you're watching or listening to something really special; what's not to like? This is an essential piece of holiday history for your collection.
There's nothing I can really say to make you buy this disc; you've seen it by now and chances are, unless you're the Grinch himself, you absolutely adore it. What I can say is that this particular DVD makes an already perfect Christmas special even better. Not only do you get a few wonderful features that deal with the making of the the Grinch and a few fun games for the kids, but also "Horton Hears a Who," another wonderful cartoon made by animation genius, Chuck Jones.
The review written by summed it up perfectly with just one sentence - this is one of the best Christmas gifts you can get for YOURSELF.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Grinch, who lives just north of Whoville, is tired of listening to their Christmas celebration each year. But this year, he's going to do something about it. Disguising himself as Santa, he sneaks down into the town to take everything Christmassy, and everything else, from them. But will that stop Christmas from coming? Is he beyond enjoying the season himself?
What can I say; this is a great holiday special. There were only a handful I had to watch every year growing up, and this is one of them. That's extended to my adult Decembers as well. It keeps the story simple, not trying to expand it needlessly like the recent live action movie did. And the songs add to the fun, especially "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch." That song alone is worth watching the special for.
This DVD is a great way to own this classic. The picture and sound are good. I can't really tell that much difference in how the Grinch is supposed to look, and to me this is a minor issue anyway. The extras are a mixed bag. The audio commentary isn't that great because it's obvious that they really don't have that much to say. However, the special about the making of the cartoon and the separate interview about writing the songs are both interesting.
This disc also includes another cartoon from a Dr. Seuss book, HORTON HEARS A WHO. I had never seen this special before I bought the disc, but I'm not a fan of it. Not sure why because I like the book. Maybe if I'd seen it as a kid I'd feel differently.
Ultimately, the reason to get this DVD is the classic Christmas special that headlines the disc. Watching it always brings the warm fuzzies of Christmas past for a visit. You can't go wrong getting it.
on December 26, 2002
I should begin by saying, after reading other reviews where people complain about the color of the Grinch: I don't see the problem. The Grinch on the box is bright green, but *that* was the thing that didn't seem quite right to me. The color of the Grinch in the program itself was just fine. I assumed they whipped up some fancy artwork for the DVD cover. I had actually taped the Grinch off a local TV channel shortly before receiving this DVD for Christmas, so I played them both and compared the colors. Again, no problems.
Moving on to the actual content...what a treat this DVD is! Not one but two features about the Grinch: TNT's 1994 special with the late and sorely missed Phil Hartman, and another also featuring interviews with composer Albert Hague and singer Thurl Ravenscroft (who always tells delightful stories about being involved in the project). You can also skip directly to any of the songs, and there's a cute little trivia game for the kids.
Just for fun, I turned on the subtitles to see how they'd handle all the strange Seuss words. The accuracy of the whole program is weak in spots (the Grinch is a "crooked dirty trockey"? I think you mean "jockey"), and the Whos' songs ("Welcome Christmas" and "Trim Up the Tree") are not captioned at all, which is kind of a shame.
On the whole, though, this is a DVD that everyone will enjoy having in their holiday collection.