4.0 out of 5 stars DVD Review
Castle of Cagliostro is Miyazaki's first feature and stars the characters of the Lupin series. Miyazaki worked on much of the first season of Lupin and did two episodes in the second including the finale. I haven't been able to determine if these episodes are avaible on any in-print English release. While the animation is considerably cruder then Miyazaki's later works,...
Published on Jan. 3 2004 by Lee Buchenau

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great But Good Fun
I had misgivings after buying Hayao Miyazaki's THE
CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. Being one of his earliest
movies, it was unlikely to be in a league with his
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO or PRINCESS MONONOKE, and I
wondered if it was actually going to be even worth
watching.
But I finally sat down and watched THE CASTLE OF
CAGLIOSTRO and it kept me...
Published on Feb. 23 2003 by Greg Goebel

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than any Disney movie, May 22 2002
"catsfugue" (Great Neck, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
My two kids (7 and 8) love this flick. They never get tired of watching it, and I think I understand why. It is everything that your typical Disney animated flick is NOT: imaginative, whimsical, not-too self-conscious, unpredictable and slightly irreverent. It's also a welcome break from the overload of space operas, bounty hunters, cyborgs, androids, aliens, giant mecha and doe-eyed cutesy girls that is typical of every other Japanese anime available now. By the way, I (39) never get tired of watching it either!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Castle of Cagliostro, Aug. 21 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I have been looking forward to the DVD release of this movie for some time. The original dubbed version on VHS was a treat and had a charm all of its own. However while the DVD release has the same animation, a redone script has been included. While the new script may be more faithful the the original Japanese version, I find the original dubbed script to be more entertaining. I would only buy this if you MUST have this on DVD as the new script changes the feel and atmosphere of the characters. A disapointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Action Picture... Castle of Cagliostro, April 27 2000
Sam Chung (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Lupin the 3rd, Castle of Cagliostro is Miyazaki's best Family Action Movie. Unlike stereotypical anime like Akira, Cagliostro allows pure edge-of-your-seat action without the extreme gore... and therefore allows for 100% family entertainment. If you do buy this film, watch it first with the original Japanese Dialogue with English Subtitles. There is nothing better than to watch a movie the way it was originally made. This Miyazaki work is great for new anime fans as well as the avid collector.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Miyazaki's best, but good!, Jan. 20 2003
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Once again, I had looked into this movie originally because it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki, personally one of my favorites! I later learned that this movie is a part of a really long series from what I understand of and Television series, of Lupin the 3rd. This movie is really good, has the main characters, Lupin, Jigens, Fujiko, Zenigata! It's story is ok, not too original, but still good! The characters are funny... I don't really know what else to say, except it's good!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best animation in the world!, June 5 2002
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I think this is Hayao Miyazaki's best movie. Though this movie is a little bit old , it is very exciting and impressive whien you watch it now. This movie is sometimes a good action movie, and sometimes a good lovestory. This scinario is really nice. Especially their talk tempo is really comfortable, and the back picture of all thescienes are very beautiful. Mr.Zenigata's talk of the best scine is very famous in Japan. If you like the movies of Hayao Miyazaki, you shold watch this.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the classics by Hayao Miyazaki, Sept. 14 2011
Cassisa (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
A castle with a secret, a princess that holds one of the keys to a kingdom, and a charming thief who has his eyes on a vast fortune. If you enjoy adventure, mystery and a bit of romance this anime is probably for you.
I saw this one in its original Japanese and found myself wanting to watch it again.
Though I have to admit some of the humour (and the stunts that the characters perform) are kind of silly, it still has that Miyazaki magic that draws you into the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spielberg is right: truly one of the finest films PERIOD., May 30 2001
bd__sd (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Whether or not you're an anime fan, Castle of Cagliostro is a fine movie for kids and adults. Hayao Miyazaki's art is beautiful and Monkey Punch's story and characters are a lot of fun. The opening action sequence--actually ALL of the action sequences are just amazing.
The English voice acting in the DVD release is pretty good and makes the movie accessable to kids. But to fully appreciated Cagliostro, listen to the Japanese and read the subtitles.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie is a sequel, Feb. 16 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I have just discovered that "Lupin the Third and The Castle of Cagliostro" is a sequel to "Lupin the Third and the Mystery of Mamo", i still don't know wich is better or worse, but I truly love "Cagliostro", but I have seen more acclaim on this sequel than on the first part, but the DVD of the first part it's currently not aviable, when they re-realease it i will definetly buy it, to see the first days of Lupin the Third.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just good, Oct. 14 2001
Demonskrye "Animation Nerd" (Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
With so much anime making its way over to the US with nothing more to offer than 30 minute fight scenes, I find myself more and more drawn to Miyazaki's films. I wouldn't call this one Miyazaki's best, but it is a great deal of fun. I wouldn't reccomend it to young children; there are instances of violence and death, though nothing too gratuitous. But if car chases, adventure, comedy, and romance are up your alley, you'll probably dig the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Film, May 23 2003
Brian M. (Orland Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I've seen alot of Lupin III movies and I've seen alot of Miyazaki's films. But this one stands out as by far the best of them. I think it is possibly the best anime made. Actually there were some problems with the dub. One thing I noticed is that when Zenigata introduces himself. He say "Inspector Keibu Zenigata" but Keibu means Inspector in Japanese so actually, he is repeating himself. Anyways, this has to be my favorite anime overall.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 | Next ›

The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie)
The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 120.71