4.0 out of 5 stars DVD Review
Castle of Cagliostro is Miyazaki's first feature and stars the characters of the Lupin series. Miyazaki worked on much of the first season of Lupin and did two episodes in the second including the finale. I haven't been able to determine if these episodes are avaible on any in-print English release. While the animation is considerably cruder then Miyazaki's later works,...
Published on Jan. 3 2004 by Lee Buchenau

3.0 out of 5 stars The Castle of Cagliostro
I love most of Miyazaki's animation pictures. Actually I have been a Miyazaki fan since 1978, when I saw his anime on TV at the first time. "The Castle of Cagliostro" is my favorite, and I'd like to give five stars to it, however, I dare to give three because of the picture/sound quality of this particular release.
Compared to the DVD for Japanese market, the...
Published on June 13 2003 by Baroque

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, quirky little movie, May 1 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
It's a Friday night, and you don't know what to do. Solution: watch The Castle of Cogliostro. This fun little film can be enjoyed by anyone - provided you have a little imagination. This film has everything that one could possibly want: humor, action, mystery, and even a little romance for all you love birds. If you have little kids I suggest that you preview this film. While it is not violent in nature, there is mild profanity. (Probably nothing that they haven't already heard, but it wouldn't hurt to take an active role in your child's life. This movie would probably get a PG.) If you're looking for a DVD to put your VHS to shame then this isn't exactly it. There are 'cigarette burns' in the print, and while they aren't too annoying this should not happen on DVD. There is also some 'graininess', but it doesn't detract too much from the movie. If it makes you feel better, I've seen the VHS version and this is far superior to it. Also, while the sound is good it is only presented in stereo. So those of you with expensive audio systems will miss out. The film is presented in letterbox or wide screen, so nothing is left out. Also, they were kind enough to let us choose between the original Japanese track, and the newly implemented English track. I've watched both, and I must say that I was greatly impressed with the English voice acting. This is good for all of you who hate reading your movies. Overall, this is the best version of the movie out. If you've seen it, then you know that you should own it. If you haven't, I strongly suggest that you at least rent this soon. The Castle of Cogliostro is a fun movie that can be watched at anytime.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great time at the movies, April 13 2001
H. A Huffman "haumf" (Mt. Prospect, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is a fun movie. Period. This rollicking adventure story is full of humor, colorful characters, action and the animation is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission Impossible meets Naked Gun, Feb. 22 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Like many of you teenagers out there reading this, I blow my allowance on anime any chance I get, and sometimes I end up with something worth keeping. This is one of those. The plot was great and was evenly spaced (not rushed like many movies out there). Lupin, the main character, was lovable (but not in the cuddly way, mind you): he was sexy (well, maybe only to me . . .), smart, and surrounded himself with interesting and eccentric secondary characters. I don't wanna give any of it away because it annoys the hell out of me when other people do it, but just take my word that this is something worth spending money on (even if you have to use your own allowance to buy it). On the technical side, I found the dvd easy to use. The menus were easy to browse. Etc. Etc.-it's all good. The only qualms I had with this movie are that the girl (whom I can't remember the name of, so for now I'll call her "Girl"), anyways, "Girl" had no real spirit and reminded me of a half-dead squirrel on a leash (no i don't know why), and left me disappointed, but I soon got over it because Lupin swiftly came upon the scene. And the animation wasn't the most amazing stuff I've ever seen but the story plot really makes it worth while. I highly recommend it. So if you haven't by some strange development gotten the point that you should buy this movie, let me help you: "BUY IT!"

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie is a sequel, Feb. 17 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I have just discovered that "Lupin the Third and The Castle of Cagliostro" is a sequel to "Lupin the Third and the Mystery of Mamo", i still don't know wich is better or worse, but I truly love "Cagliostro", but I have seen more acclaim on this sequel than on the first part, but the DVD of the first part it's currently not aviable, when they re-realease it i will definetly buy it, to see the first days of Lupin the Third.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, poor DVD, Feb. 16 2001
"madnessmark" (Maple Grove, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
I love Lupin 3. I love everything about it. From the classic mid-70's music to the bellbottoms. Caslte of Cagliostro is the best Lupin movie ever made, hands down. The subtitled version is great, but some might not like the dub. But I think most people will appreciate the new voices and brand new sound effects. But if I had to choose, it would be the subtitled version. I had to down grade this movie for the poor DVD. There are few extras on it! Are you telling me the greatest animtors of all time finally gets one of his greatest films put on DVD for the first time and you couldn't find a bunch of extras!? Come on. Surely they could have given a breif interview or series summary or atleast a photo gallery. The video and sound quality are good (even if there is no Dolby 5.1), but all I can say to Manga is that you better hope Miyazaki doesn't see this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 10 FOR THE MOVIE!, A 7.5 for the DVD., Feb. 6 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Thisn film it's comletely fantastic, it has everything of that we go for the movies for, excictment, quality, comedy,and suspense, but the DVD, it's well not so good, i liked the cover, but the back cover it's a disaster, it's full of reviews, and by the way, it's given more credit, to other Manga Entertainment films, (On the Special Features), than to this film, for example suck diasters of films like "Tetsuo", "Shadow Skill", and all the other film, except for 'Ghost in the Shell", "Street Fighter 2" and "Sword for Truth", and the worst is the Widescreen format, one black bar it's bigger than the other one, which confuses me of aspect ratio, you rather buy it on VHS, than on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ANIMATED MOVIE EVER, Jan. 28 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
Finding out that this movie is part of a franchise was best discovery for me this week. Castle of Cagliostro is an awesome movie with brilliant characterisation and a crazy, inventive plot.
My fave character is Inspector Zenigata, if only live action movies had characters as rich and deep in personality as he and Lupin. But you'll find that most of the time animated characters DO have lots of character, to make them seem more real. Live action characters are already real so developing them isn't something you see often.
The architecture of the castle and the geography of Cagliostro is also very cool looking. The castle has dozens of nooks and crannies and even more secret passages. The atmosphere of the landscape in the outdoor shots is always very ambient and calm and really draws you into the movie even more.
Lupin III is a great character and I am going to try my hardest to see more of his adventures. So far I can only find the Mystery of Mamo on DVD and it is out of print but hopefully Manga will release the rest. If they do it will be a winning decision.
Castle of Cagliostro is also VERY different from most other anime movies. It does not focus on ultra-violence and confusing plots. It was quite refreshing to find a film of this sort that is highly, highly enjoyable, full of ace set pieces and an impossible light-hearted tone.
You must buy this movie right now to enjoy the most perfect and exciting adventure you'll ever see or have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miyazaki always does it excellently, Jan. 2 2001
This review is from: The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) (DVD)
The first time i saw a film by Miyazaki was when i saw the "Heidi" anime, then not long ago i saw, Mononoke Hime, and it was wonderful, and this one also is, it's very funny, very exhiting, and sometimes suspenful, it's great, i love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for children, Dec 26 2000
By A Customer
Our family has been delighted to view My Neighbor Totoro many times over the years. I purchased this video for my 8 year old son's Christmas stocking and was horrified to hear that the first word spoken was son of a b_____. Woman are referred to as "broads" and these are some of the less offensive utterings during this film. I found it neither entertaining nor suitable for a child 9, 10 or 12 for that matter.
I am not a prude, but this film

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cagliostro Report, Nov. 21 2000
By A Customer
This video is awesome if you love mystery,adventure,and humor. It's the best movie I've ever seen!!! I reccomend this because it is totally awesome for anyone 8-infinity! I'm sure whoever watches it will agree with me.

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 8 | Next ›

The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie)
The Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin III movie) by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 107.68