5.0 out of 5 stars Far past 5 Stars!
Okay...I know theres a lot of people out there who don't know what anime is and there are people out there who don't like X, well if you don't like this movie, you don't like Anime. This movie (which I happen to own on DVD) is my favortie next to Akira. Many parents don't like these types of movies because there are so much amouts of blood and gore, but thats ahlf of what...
Published on June 22 2002 by Courtney

3.0 out of 5 stars umm storyline?
Published on Jan. 13 2002 by Hekler

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Depressing Anime - _ -, Feb. 4 2002
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
It wasn't what I'd expected, to tell you the truth. It had turned out more depressing than I thought. Maybe I would say they lacked developing the characters, but all the same, if you know about the story and manga, you'd fall in love with the characters - even the bad guys. Unlike the other reviewers, I'd say there WAS a plot(if you know CLAMP very well, you'd understand) The story is sooooo CLAMP-like. Nanase Ohkawa - one of the CLAMP members, who creates the stories and plots, likes putting twists and turns you'd never expect and fate plays a huge part in the stories of CLAMP. But the results are not always pretty. I'd cried my heart out for hours after watching this movie. *_* Don't ask why and yes, I KNOW it's just an anime, but the characters seem so real. Just imagine you are in the characters' shoes. I'm sure you'd feel SOMEthing. :p I'd give it a 4-half stars if not for the character-developing thing. And I don't know why some of the reviewers said the ending song was terrible. It suited the anime perfectly if you ask me. Well, that is if you understand the lyrics. But well, this is just my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars umm storyline?, Jan. 13 2002
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
Ok the storyline [is bad] period, in order to get into the movie you have to read the extras so you can get a background check on all the characters...then it will make sense, a little. For instance a woman on the good side,fighting to save the world; fights in lingerie-her excuse? she says it keeps her in check with her roots. Doesn't make sense does it? As for the dialogue, it's kind of bad, they try to build a connection between the characters and the viewers but it doesn't work, I don't feel sorry for the characters if they die, live, and so on. It's a pity that through out this whole movie-I didn't really get into to it-I was just waiting for the action sequences-if you're all into the animation and action sequences then this is a pretty good dvd for you. What i'm really upset about is the quality of the dvd. It's encoded at a 2/mps which is really svcd quality rather than the standard 5-8/mps dvd's. you'll probably can't tell the difference on the tv but if you play it on the comp then you can tell with a little "blockiness" in the background. I've seen hong kong pirated dvd's encoded at a higher bitrate-this has to tell you something... If you want the combonation of Story plus great animation then escaflowne is for you, This series literally raised the standards of animation-look out for the movie coming out next year, it's dark,bloody and yes it has a great story line coupled with animation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great manga series, SHOCKING anime!!!!, Jan. 11 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
I'm sure you already get the picture by reading other reviews. I'm just writing this to reinforce the point that this is a very dissapointing attempt of compressing 20Volumes+ manga series into one 90 minutes movie.
If you can, get the manga serie instead, because it is very beautifully done, the art work and the story line are superb and you actually get to know all the characters in the story.
The movie shocked me from the first 5 minutes when Subaru(from Tokyo Babylon) dies so quickly, while in the manga he is one of the most important character of the whole story. Then one by one all the characters start to drop like flies until there are two left for the main battle scene. My advice; don't blink because you might miss the whole final battle. Not even a great ending song by X-Japan(an awesome J-rock band) could save this movie, it is an insult to the manga series!!!!! If you want to spend money on an apocalyptic style of anime I suggest you get Angel Sanctuary or Earthians instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars X (2.6 stars), Jan. 7 2002
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
With such an uninspired title I should have been optimistic. But I am a Anime fan, so I gave it a chance. Just as the amazon.com reviewer stated, the plot of "X" is so simple, yet it is made extremely complicated by back and forth scene shifting, similar to a Quentin Tarantino film and too many characters. "X" is a rather dark film which has the overused, and generic plot which pits a man against the destruction of the entire world. The "dragons" are superior beings who battle each other throughout Tokyo. The dragons from earth, do not want to destroy the earth, but destroy the human race which they feel is destroying their earth. The dragons from heaven are sent to stop the earth dragons. The battles are often quick and become too repetitive. Many of the beings a.k.a. dragons have their own special power. The dragons from heaven create a shield each time they battle so the rest of the city does not get damaged. As the film slowly moves along, the last 20 minutes are a bloody mess, where most of the chracters parish in quick sequences. But by then I didn't care, I just wanted the film to end. The last scene is a sentimental sequence between a man and a body-less head! It supposed to be sad, but I found it rather amusing. Don't get me wrong, "X" isn't the worst Anime film, it's just average. My review may have pointed out all the negative, but the film did have it's positives. The animation production is by Mad House who did the classic "Ninja Scroll." My theory: rent this before you think of buying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll X this off my list of good anime..........., Jan. 3 2002
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, to quote a character from a popular animated show, "Worst movie ever." Before I talk about how awful this movie was I tell you what's good, beautiful artwork and design, in-fact if your an art student your the only person I might reccomend getting this because of the great artwork.
Now onto the bad, where to start......ahh yes, a plot, which X tries to have but ends up failing. There are two groups, the Dragons of Earth and The Dragons of Heaven, The Earth dragons want to destroy Earth to restore it back to how it was before we "evil" humans ravaged it and the Heaven Dragons want to protect us for Earth Dragons. Inbetween it all is a boy named Kamui who doesn't know what the hell is going on. He came back to town to protect his friends but, ends up joining the Heaven Dragons, too bad one of friends, Fuma, is swayed by the Earth Dragons and becomes the all powerful ulta-enemy, Kamui has to face at the end of the movie.
As the movie drags on you feel like the writer was checking off a shopping list, "Alright he killed him, now he dies, then him, then her...." And that how it goes until we get to great big battle, that they been vamping the entire time, and IT ONLY LAST ABOUT 30 seconds! That's right it's an anti-climatic ending that makes you wanna put your foot through your television. Don't even get this movie to see how bad it is, just run! Run fast and far away from X.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful animation, but...., Nov. 29 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
I bought this DVD with high expectations. I had read many online reviews praising the animation, and being a fan of high-quality animation,I decided to take a look. The reviwers were obviously true to their words- the animation of this movie is excellent... the characters move fluidly, the backgrounds are detailed and realistic, and the color is stunning. The movie is most certainly eye candy for those who enjoy top-notch animation. Sadly, as beautiful as the animation is, it cannot atone for the loss of plot and characterization in the movie. The manga's story is compressed into a 100 minute film. Details are lost. I was left in a daze when the movie ended... I didn't quite grasp what I had just seen.
I recommend reading the manga before perchasing the DVD (or video), as it explains everything with more clarity. If you don't mind the fast-moving, almost-not-even-there plot of the movie, then go for it. I don't recommend this animation for children 13 or under-- there is a lot of bloodshed, violence, and death in this movie (if you've read the manga, then you've already witnessed the gore, but I thought that I'd mention it anyway to warn those who haven't read the manga).
Also, fans of X keep your eyes open for the episodes (on TV). I'm pretty sure that X episodes are being released in Japan this year.

1.0 out of 5 stars Make it stop, make it stop!, Nov. 26 2001
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
Let me make something perfectly clear: I love "X" the manga. It's a bit long, true, but compelling and beautifully drawn, and you can't help loving the characters.
It's a real pity those same characters don't make much of an appearance in the movie. Oh, sure, they have the same faces and names, but sometimes that seems to be about it. But that's not the worst. The worst is that the movie makes *no sense at all,* and like I said, I've read the manga. From the inexplicable battle between Subaru and Seishirou in the very beginning to the big "showdown" between Kamui and Fuuma at the end (which is set off by, of all things, saxophone music), this movie is one long exercise in "What on EARTH?" I pity the fool who tries to learn about "X" from the movie! I pity the fool!
Having said that, it is good for a few laughs, although I'm sure that's not what the writers intended. It's so horrible you won't be able to keep from making fun of it. Thank God CLAMP has said this isn't canon for the manga...

1.0 out of 5 stars What happens when you go too quickly, Nov. 26 2001
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
I was interested by the premise and the packaging and everything. But I must say this movie was really disappointing. It's not that the plot is not understandable; it's that everything happens so quickly that you don't even really meet the characters. For example, take all those human-dragons. Just by the way they are presented, you can guess that there's a lot of backstory behind them. But in the film, they just get killed very quickly. Also, for two groups that are supposed to be somewhat equal, everytime a good guy faces a bad guy, he gets his but kicked.
Finally, my biggest grip is the more-or-less friend of the hero who, for no sufficient reason I can remember, decides to join the 'evil' side, and in a matter of days, becomes as powerful as the hero who seems to have been training since childhood. Hellooooo!? I'm all for suspension of disbelieve, especially in anime, but this is ridiculous !
I guess this is better if you have read the manga before. Since this is not my case, it left me completely unsatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can a man change his destiny?, Nov. 15 2001
Martin Prehn (DK 2650 Hvidovre Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
An interesting question X tries to answer. Before I start my review here's a little warning:
DO NOT WATCH THIS WITH THE ENGLISH DUB!!!
I saw it twice in japanese and understood everything. Then I saw it once in english and I was totally lost. Everything is different in English! The brief moments of humor - gone. The tragic element of impending doom - completely missing. Any sense of compassion or sympathy for Kamui, Fuma or Kotori - simply not there. But rest assured that in their places we find a) bad acting b) a lot of words and pointless explanations that were NOT in the original version c) Some of the most incredibly stupid translations and pronounciations of names.
People said "Kotori" and I thougt they were talking about "cutlery". And somehow they made "Kamui" sound exactly like "Kanoe"
My favorite moment in the english version is when Kotori cuts her hand on the magic rain and as she starts bleeding Fuma brilliantly points out "You're hurt!". In the Japanese version he says nothing.
So, anyhoodelidoodely: my review
I like it. The anmation is great. The interaction between the good guys (however brief) lets us know exactly what they're like and what the chemistry between them is like. The two bad guys (the one who control water and the one who has that long scarf thingy -I forget their names) are sooooo cool. I only subtracted a star because I would have prefered to see less people die from suicide/selfdestruct/two for one kind of thing where both fighters perish together. The best deaths are the individual ones. And while the end is no surprise I love it. It's short, sweet, to the point and completely inevitable. The whole movie plays out like a greek tragedy. Their destinies foretold the brave warriors try to alter fate but find in doing so they actually end up making it happen. Great stuff. Yes, Tragic but great. Everything can't be a Disney cartoon!
And don't worry about not understanding the plot. Anyone who knows anything about anime should catch on to the storyline pretty quickly. It's quite straight forward and should certainly not stop anyone from enjoying this fine piece of work and its gorgeus art and stunning animation. But in JAPANESE for God's sake!

4.0 out of 5 stars Where did the plot go?, Oct. 1 2001
M. Loftus "Missheru" (Caledonia, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X - The Movie (DVD)
Very pretty anime as with most CLAMP works. The story dies in compacting it into 98 minutes. I know the story and like the anime even though they splice and cut to make entire story fit into the time. Personally I thought the Japanese track was much better than the English. Not for the normal reasons I have (bad voice acting being one) but because whoever wrote the script for the English track must have assumed that American audiences would have no clue what was going on. Most of it is such overkill. I tend to think Kanoe gives off the evil creepy vibe but it was explained within the first five minnutes that she was not the one to trust. Come now, if Kamui's mother did tell him such a thing do you really think he'd be that mean to the one he was told he could trust? The whole plot is a bit grim and with how little time there is between battles it can almost be summarized in saying "You're going to die. Face the fact. Your only choice is are you going to make your death a memorable one?" In closing the manga gives more to the story than just fighting and death. I'd recomend reading over watching if Viz could get their act together and regain their publishing rights.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›