5.0 out of 5 stars A total winner
Published on Sept. 5 2003 by B. Sloane

3.0 out of 5 stars Stop, don't buy it unless . . .
You are a confirmed Alison Krauss fan who needs to have everything she recorded. Actually the title track is very sweet and really shows Ms. Krauss voice to good effect. So does the first track "Stay" But the instrumentation is bland and uninteresting and the record as a whole is very bland, pushing into the realm of elevator music, especially after a few...
Published on April 24 2000 by Kristopher L. Wahlers

5.0 out of 5 stars A total winner, Sept. 5 2003
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
Somewhere, in a more just universe, overblown performers like Shania Twain and Faith Hill hawk their CD's on streetcorners, Britney and Christina are waiting tables, and Alison Krauss has a bookshelf full of Grammys. Well, the music industry has never been notable for promoting quality, so those of us who appreciate good stuff will just have to spread the word. This is a beautiful CD, first-rate songs imaginatively produced by a young woman with taste and stunning vocal chops. It even passed the acid test, when I sent it to my 77 year-old ex-Big Band musician cousin who is constantly moaning about modern pop music and how ... it is ... he LOVED it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure, April 26 2002
S. Hawkins "SMH" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
I find it odd that I would ever refer to Alison Krauss as a "guilty pleasure." So, I guess that definitely warrants an explanation. This album is unlike any of her other ones in that it strays away from her bluegrass roots and instead plants its feet more firmly in pop.
But that's not quite right either. She doesn't "stray" as you get the distinct impression that she knows exactly what she is doing and where she wants to go. Also, no matter how poppish she may get, there are two qualities in the music that are inherently redeeming. One is that her voice is great for bluegrass, but it is unbelievable in a pop context. Second, no matter how "pop" she gets (and I mean that without a hint of sarcasm or mockery), her music retains a bluegrass feel.
I can understand not liking this album...or at least NOT ADMITTING to liking this album. But frankly, it is gorgeous - but not in a Kenny G sense of the word. It is achingly beautiful, soulful music that is well-performed. What more could you ask for? It may be a guilty pleasure, but so is chocolate, and I'm not about to swear off either one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best CD's I will ever own, April 23 2002
Raymond J. Benoit (Tucker, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
A friend of mine gave me a sample listening of this CD and I was overtaken by Alison's wonderful voice and music selections. Mind you, I wasn't much of a country or bluegrass fan. I can't believe that I've missed out on her talents all this time. I think this CD, compared to her other works, is her best work to date. Although she produced the CD, she only co-writes one of the songs, "Stay" which is wonderful. Each song has been fined tuned to showcase Alison's voice and well-crafted acoustics. It's one of those rare CD's (and even albums) that every song is a gem. I don't skip over any song. You are magically drawn in to sing along to every song. I find myself playing "Forget About It" every day, never waining, always learning a new line in a song. I'm hooked on Alison that I bought a few more of her CD's so that I can learn to sing the others as well. I'm looking forward to hearing about Alison's next project. I'm sure she still has a lot more of that talent stored up, bursting at the seams. I would recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys country, bluegrass, blues, pop, folk, and easy listening because this CD doesn't fit into any one of those genres by itself. A true gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not very "bluegrassy" but I still like it., Dec 3 2001
Matt "mattfl1" (FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
After recently seeing Alison Krauss and Union Station in concert, I rushed out and bought this CD. She played several selections from it in concert, songs I had never heard before. After hearing them in concert and then on this CD, those songs quickly became some of my favorites. Her talent really shines on songs such as "Maybe" and "Ghost In This House."
I guess they left the "Union Station" off of the title because this was supposed to be more for her, and you can hear the difference. Ron, Barry, Jerry and Dan are still in the background of course, but not as pronounced. It's definitely less bluegrass-sounding than her previous releases, but I think even bluegrass enthusiasts will enjoy it. Who wouldn't enjoy it? Alison could sing the Encyclopedia Britannica and it would sound great. Anyway, this CD contains some of my favorite songs ever from Alison, particularly "Stay," "Maybe," "Ghost In This House," "Could You Lie," "and "Dreaming My Dreams With You" (which as a nice surprise features Lyle Lovett on background vocals).

5.0 out of 5 stars "this little lady has stolen our HEARTS!, Nov. 22 2001
J. Lovins "Mr. Jim" (Missouri-USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of country and early "Down-Home-Americana" for sometime now...but no one I believe has revived this genre with know as "BLUEGRASS", like this young musician that we are listening to today.
Alison has the knack for surrounding herself with very talented people, this is a gift...first of all let me tell you I'm a BIG FAN of the COX FAMILY, and on the opening track "STAY", vocal harmony is provided by Suzanne Cox and then again on "COULD YOU LIE", is perfection...another is "THAT KIND OF LOVE", features Suzanne, Evelyn and Sidney Cox is intoxicating harmony...but the highlight my friends is "DREAMING MY DREAMS WITH YOU", gives us a glimpse of Dolly Parton and Lyle Lovett sharing the spotlight.
Rounder has released this beautiful ballad album that is essential for any Alison Krauss collector...this little lady has definitely stolen my heart...about yours!
Total Time: 40:08 on 11 Tracks ~ Rounder Records 11661-0465-2 ~ (1999)

4.0 out of 5 stars AK does a Chick Disc, Nov. 18 2001
Robert J. Morris (Macungie, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
Women know better than men that melancholy is an underrated emotion, it's comfortable sometimes to be blue. Well next time you're kinda down play yourself this CD before you pop the Prozak.
Krauss uses her talent as a producer to put together a fine album of sad songs; uses her talent as a singer to break a few hearts; and uses her talent with a fiddle to create the best two songs on the album: "Could You Lie", and "Never Got Off the Ground".
You'll find the usual gang around her here, the Union Station guys, Jerry Douglas on the Dobro; with a few others added in. And they're all as reliably terrific as ever.
An aside here: Whoever put Alison Krauss and Union Station together years ago is a genius. Her voice is the perfect instrument to bring a soul to their incredible sound. And the addition of Douglas' dobro to so much of their work over the past few years has made this group the definition of contemporary bluegrass, the reason bluegrass has gained so much in popularity recently.
Looking up I see I've written a five star review and only given four. Well, the music and prouction are just fine, but there's just a little too much heartache here for me. Can't fault any one or two songs, they're all good. Just wish she'd thrown in a couple of upbeat tunes to lighten the load. My wife tells me that ladies are fine with eleven straight heart breaking tunes. OK, we'll call this one a chick disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars AK does a Chick Disc, Nov. 18 2001
Robert J. Morris (Macungie, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
Women know better than men that melancholy is an underated emotion, it's comfortable sometimes to be blue. Well next time you're kinda down play yourself this CD before you pop the Prozak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, Relaxing, Beautiful, Aug. 4 2001
J. M. Zuurbier (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
Alison Krauss is a true talent. She has one of the most beautiful voices in country music, that expresses emotions, without overdoing it, or taking away from the simplistic nature of the songs. The harmonies on this album, FORGET ABOUT IT, are beautiful. The lead song "Stay" is a beautiful song with equally compelling vocals and instrumentation. This is common throughout the whole CD. "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" is a sorrowful, sad track about a realization that there never was any love or commitment in the relationship, it's my favorite song on the album. "Ghost In This House" is another tragic song, but its so beautifully done with its vocals and instruments. "It Don't Matter" and "Could You Lie" are other beautiful songs, actually in fact there are no filler tracks to be found. The final track "Dreaming My Dreams With You" is a nice love song, very nice. Overall, this is an excellent album and I highly reccomend it to anyone who likes country music, true country, with a tinge of bluegrass backed with beautiful vocals and instruments. And if you're tired of the same sounding country music that a lot of artists are making out of Nashville, give this a try, you'll be surprised and find she's very much talented and doesn't get the recognition or respect she deserves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe It's Not for the Purists, but It's for Me..., Jan. 8 2001
James Jones (Clive, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
I first heard what turned out to be "Maybe" from this album at a place where I had no way of finding out what it was. The harmonies in the chorus _did_ make the hair stand on the back of my neck, and I tried desperately, amid the noise of the people jabbering and oblivious to the beauty in the background, to write down the chord progression so I'd have a chance to track it down.
Alas, I wasn't able to, and the incident passed from my mind...until yesterday (at a competitor to Amazon, so I won't mention their name--a whole battalion wouldn't drag it out of me :-) when I heard it again. I called out to the lady with whom I was looking that I'd be back and rushed to the music section to get there before the song ended, and the kind fellow behind the counter tracked it down for me.
Thank heaven he did. I can't help thinking there's gotta be a law of physics that prevents this kind of concentration of gorgeous vocals. Judging by the prior reviews, bluegrass purists don't much care for this album, and I guess that there's that same sort of accusation of "sellout" that one sees in other genres--but the influence is there, and I personally don't have too much use for purists anyway in the face of such wonderful music.
I may be off my rocker, but in some ways, I'm reminded of October Project's ballads by some of the tracks here. For that matter, this would be an interesting disk to put in one's multi-CD player with Chris Isaak's _Forever Blue_ and put on shuffle, so you get both sexes' side of heartbreak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alison continues to amaze and soothe, July 14 2000
John R. Blackburn Jr. (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forget About It (Audio CD)
Let me begin by saying that my tastes run almost exclusively to classical music, from Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven through the elegant turn-of-the-century French masterpieces of Faure, Debussy, Ravel and the Spaniards Albeniz, Falla, Granados, and Turina, to the 20th century works of Stravinsky, Rachmaninov, Satie, Poulenc, Milhaud, Koechlin, etc.: beautiful works produced by musical geniuses with years of rigorous practical and theoretical training. As a rule, the works of modern musicians do not appeal to me, do not touch me inside, do not draw me in. Alison Krauss is the exception, and this CD demonstrates once again the many talents of this wonderfully-gifted, pure-voiced singer: her ability to select achingly beautiful melodies, to arrange them perfectly, and to sing them with a sweet and gentle vulnerability that has no pretense or artifice. From the softly swaying "Stay," the cathartic "Forget About It, " the silky smooth '80ish ballad "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference," the beautifully Beatlesque "Maybe," the sweetly plaintive "Empty Hearts," the touching paternal tribute of "Never Got Off the Ground," the ethereal "Ghost In This House," the achingly beautiful "That Kind of Love," this release is full of exceptional songs that demonstate Alision's penchant for continuous growth and evolution as a superb musical artist.

Forget About It
Forget About It by Alison Krauss (Audio CD - 1999)