4.0 out of 5 stars Alliance Atlantis keeps on impressing!!
****UPDATE**** This review was for the Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray that was released back on September 2nd, 2008. Since then a new release of the movie has come out on blu ray (released on April 13th, 2010) that includes special features (audio commentaries, multiple featurettes, etc) and 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound.

A Nightmare on Elm Street...
Published on Oct. 15 2008 by C. Denison

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not too "Nightmare"-ish
After catching-- and, to my surprise, enjoying-- "Freddy vs. Jason" at a friend's place a while back, I decided to delve into the titular combatants' previous cinematic outings. I started with the original "Nightmare", and was shocked. I wasn't really shocked by how scary & bloody it was, but by how scary & bloody it wasn't. Having seen a handful of...
Published on June 23 2004 by Zagnorch

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine, frightening film..., Aug. 9 1999
By A Customer
Here is a surprisingly artistic suspense film, void of the subtelties and exploitations of modern horror. It moves and works on the viewer as a spectral nightmare...surreal, grotesque, and intensely eerie. NIGHTMARE is grander on its obscure and mystical level than most other horror films of the 80's: indeed, it is needlessly gory, and it has its flaws (an underdeveloped plot, for one, and some embarassingly quirky dialogue, for another), but it is nevertheless a taut and breathtaking piece, despite its low-budget limitations. Fred Krueger is the shadowed fiend in all of our dreams: here he is not the playful jokester that he has decayed to in his ridiculous sequels, he is the violent maniac. Here he cuts no one liners, and here we never see him in his entirety. He is, in fact, the ultimate villain in this movie: always cloaked in shadow, always only half visible. The one thing we ever see is his glove in its entirety: that horrifying glove with its long, glimmering metallic blades. Here that glove scares us, it is not the symbol of teenage horror and wacky violence that its sequels display it as: it frightens us. But what makes NIGHTMARE so distinguishable from other similar films is its surprising surreal presentation and its intriguing premise. Here Wes Craven cuts the thin, fluid barrier between dream and reality, he cuts it with four shimmering razor blades attached to a leather glove, and we all know that on the other side of that barrier the ominous villian awaits, deep in shadow. The film finally leaves us wondering, Can such things ever happen? NIGHTMARE scares us on this level: it is a descent into the unknown, with all its cryptic secrets and all its grotesque horrors, reminiscent of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, as well as HALLOWEEN. We are satisfied with NIGHTMARE, because, despite its laughable flaws, it frightens us in its obscurity: to fear sleep, which every human needs to live and function, is a terror unto itself. Free of one-liners and exploits, NIGHTMARE is fantastic, chilling material: innovative, original, and always unsettling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wes Craven at his best!, Aug. 5 1999
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This is my favourite slasher film. Craven was brilliant to create this film about a psychotic killer stalking teenagers in their dreams. Johnny Depp's first performance before he moved on to star in other films such as "Cry Baby", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", "Benny & Joon" and the Vancouver T.V. series "21 Jumpstreet." Robert Englund got type casted for a while after the premiere of this film. My favourite scene is when Amana Wyss gets stalked by Freddy in the neighborhood! This is definetely a one of a kind masterpiece, followed by numerous sequels which are nowhere as good as this one! Move over Jason Voorhees!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie!!!, Nov. 1 2008
I love this movie so much that I dressed up as Freddy Krueger for Halloween

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best of them all..? -Craven punches a hole..?, June 13 2004
Robert the Psychoman (Fontana California..) - See all my reviews
This is the best of them all.. -And.. -Very interesting
to watch.. -Director.. -Wes Craven..? -Know's what horror
is.. -And he doe's it with a punch..! -Hole..! -In are
reality.. -A Nightmare

On Elm Street..! -1984.. -Gave me; -"Nightmare's.."!
about a week when I spotted this on a video shelf..?
The movie gave me the creeps..? -I've do remember seeing
this.. -And it was so frightening..? -I cooed not sleep
for a week..! -Craven know's the art of his mind.. -And
paint's it on the screen with his own witt..? -I did
not recongize; -Robert Englund..? -At the time..! -Until
I saw his name in; -V: -The Final Battle.. -I did
remember him as the good alien, -in; -V -The Original
Mini Series.. -Then I forgotten he was; -in; -A Nightmare
on Elm Street..! -At the time when this was on video..
I love the special effects..!
And; -the dream sequence made history..? -Heather
Langenkamp did o.k for her buck..? -But was superb
hole threw the film..! -Robert Englund; -did a great
job two..! -After his triumph in; -A Nightmare on Elm
Street 2: -Freddy's Revenge.. -1985..!
The script may be a week concept..! -But it is a movie
that is a joy two watch; -over; -and; -over; -again..? -the
music, -by; -Charles Bernstein is; -magnificint..! -It will
get chill's down your spine..? -And it is for that great
hardcore fan out their..? -But no hardcore fan out their
like me.. -This movie shooed thrill you like..! -Alfred
Hitchcock's; -Psycho..? -Which; -Craven; -put's in his
film's.. -And this one two..!
The movie begins with; -Tina Gray..! -Running from Freddy
as she confronts him in the boiler..? -She wakes up and
fines her clothes ripp.. -As her mom comes and tells
her two stop that kind of dreaming..! -Then it's the
next the kid's go two school.. -Tina is feeling uneasy
and alway's thinking of the bad dream she had the
night before.. -Then she stay's over..! -For a
party..? -The Kid's sleep..! -Then she meets the
Boogeyman..! -Out in the backyard and is viciously attack
by; -Freddy.. -Later..! -Nancy's friends begin two die
off one by one.. -Rodd.. -Corrie.. -Hang's him self in the jail cell..?
Glenn Lantz.. -Actor; -Johnny Depp.. -Is butchard in
his bedroom in a bloody field fest..! -At the end of
the movie.. -Nancy confront's Freddy and beat's him..?
I even enjoyed the part where she is at the dream
clinic..! -Which I like very much..! -It is
so Hitchcokian..! -The film has full of
suspense.. -Humor.. -A bit of nudity in
some places of the movie..?
I totally recconmand this two any horror buff ho
had not catch this eye brow horror movie..?

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE !!, March 3 2009
Just buy this now. you know you want it.
its a classic.

I cant wait to see 3-4 on bluray !!

2.0 out of 5 stars Is This Really That Great?, June 27 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
Ok, let me get this straight right now. I am 15 years old. While I do know that the film had a small budget, and I tell you I was impressed with a lot of the special effects (Especially for the time it was made and budget) the acting just ruined it for me. It was not scary to me at all. The gimmick of Freddy killing people in their dreams was pretty cool. Sadly, it just fell apart. The dreams were really not that, well, dreamy. The end just fell apart as well. This was an ok film. Maybe it was because I bought this with Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But I think the movie was ruined because of one reason.
Everybody started to like Freddy. Can you really be afraid of a figure that appears as a friend?

2.0 out of 5 stars worst Freddy ever!, Jan. 8 2011
I didn't like this movie at all. The story isn't the same, and the guy playing Freddy sucks. Also, the make up artists got creative and totally ruined the look of Freddy. Ya, I know story lines sometimes change when re'makes are done, but to change Freddy from a child killer, to just some guy who liked to "cut" kids, not kill them, and to have a bunch of parents get together to kill him for that, makes no sense. Plus a bunch of other stuff was different. Worst remake ever.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen)
CDN$ 36.13