4.0 out of 5 stars Alliance Atlantis keeps on impressing!!
****UPDATE**** This review was for the Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray that was released back on September 2nd, 2008. Since then a new release of the movie has come out on blu ray (released on April 13th, 2010) that includes special features (audio commentaries, multiple featurettes, etc) and 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound.

A Nightmare on Elm Street...
Published on Oct. 15 2008 by C. Denison

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not too "Nightmare"-ish
After catching-- and, to my surprise, enjoying-- "Freddy vs. Jason" at a friend's place a while back, I decided to delve into the titular combatants' previous cinematic outings. I started with the original "Nightmare", and was shocked. I wasn't really shocked by how scary & bloody it was, but by how scary & bloody it wasn't. Having seen a handful of...
Published on June 23 2004 by Zagnorch

5.0 out of 5 stars total nightmare, March 25 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
scary as hell funny as hell and one hell of a movie better than the rest

5.0 out of 5 stars scary, Aug. 7 2002
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
this is a great movie very scary this and halloween are the best

4.0 out of 5 stars One. two, Freddy;s coming for you, Oct. 18 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
Mystery and suspense horror film that still causes nightmares.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best In The Series, Nov. 3 2001
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
I had a better storyline than any other horror ive ever seen

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to take a walk on Elm Street, Aug. 18 2012
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is where we first met him, the man with the hat, the gloves and that unmistakable sweater, one of the most famous horror icon, forever etched in pop culture: Freddy Krueger. In 1984 a very low budget Wes Craven (The Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Scream) film called A Nightmare On Elm Street made its debut introducing Krueger. To me ANOES was a very different horror film because of not only the villain but its universe. Freddy is not a faceless killer like Michael Mayers or Jason, he’s a horribly burned, creepy, disfigured villain with those knives who reigns in the world of dreams. He’s a child murderer, he’s witty with expressions and loves to tease and play with his victims, in my humble opinion he’s one of the greatest villains ever created. I thought it was brilliant how they played with dreams, we all dream right? There’s just something about dreams and nightmares that we can all relate to and this film goes into just that. This movie spawned 6 sequels, Freddy V.S. Jason and the 2010 remake, but this is the best and where it all started. Some of the sequels could also be very funny at the time but the first one is mostly just horror and the creepiness and jumps are there. You definitely find yourself thinking “no, not that way! Don’t do that!” a few times.

I think the story is already well-known by now. Freddy Krueger haunts teenagers in their dreams and if he kills them or does any damages to them the consequences will transport to reality. The parents don’t believe what they say is true although they reveal that they killed a man who was a child murderer named Fred Kruger. It’s a survival test where sleeping isn’t recommended! Heather Langenkamp was just the perfect Nancy, young, good looking, innocent, strong, she made a convincing Nancy and she’s the star of the film. Robert Englund delivers a stunning performance as Freddy, I don’t think anyone else could play that character like he did and he deserves full credit. It was great that they got John Saxon who was someone, to agree to do the film, he was excellent as Nancy’s father. A Nightmare On Elm Street is also notable for being now world-famous actor Johnny Depp’s very first role (and acting).

Wes Craven read about people dying in their sleep and thought that there might be an idea for a movie there. He wanted Freddy to be the worst villain you could imagine, the burned appearance, him being a child murderer, the boiler room and so on. Craven’s vision was great and the results still stand strong decades later. The special effects were remarkable for 1984 and were highly creative effects at that, they’re all very memorable and there are plenty of them. It’s even more impressive when you consider that they had a VERY low budget and couldn’t afford anything expensive, the effects we’ve all come to enjoy where made mostly by hand on a shoe string budget. They make you go “how did they do that?” like blood gushing out of the middle of the bed or Freddy appearing to come out of the wall. Every death since in ANOES is memorable and are hard to forget, they’re some of the best and most creative death scenes I’ve seen.

I remember when I was little kid going to the video rental stores and I’d often see VHS boxes with the gross man with the hat and the knifes he had on his hand and I was scared and intrigued thinking “I’ll watch those movies someday when I’m brave enough”, back then the covers were enough to give me nightmares. A Nightmare On Elm Street is a horror classic and it aged rather well, some of the effect still stand out and it’s still creepy but with years of more hardcore and torture horror it may not seem as scary as it was when it initially came out. Even legions of sequels couldn’t ruin this first and absolutely best nightmare. This one is worthy of a 5/5. Also, If you can get the Blu-Ray it’s absolutely worth it, the image quality is amazing the restoration was great and the sound is excellent, this is worth the upgrade from the DVD and VHS!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best of them all..? -Craven punches a hole..?, June 13 2004
Robert the Psychoman (Fontana California..) - See all my reviews
This is the best of them all.. -And.. -Very interesting
to watch.. -Director.. -Wes Craven..? -Know's what horror
is.. -And he doe's it with a punch..! -Hole..! -In are
reality.. -A Nightmare

On Elm Street..! -1984.. -Gave me; -"Nightmare's.."!
about a week when I spotted this on a video shelf..?
The movie gave me the creeps..? -I've do remember seeing
this.. -And it was so frightening..? -I cooed not sleep
for a week..! -Craven know's the art of his mind.. -And
paint's it on the screen with his own witt..? -I did
not recongize; -Robert Englund..? -At the time..! -Until
I saw his name in; -V: -The Final Battle.. -I did
remember him as the good alien, -in; -V -The Original
Mini Series.. -Then I forgotten he was; -in; -A Nightmare
on Elm Street..! -At the time when this was on video..
I love the special effects..!
And; -the dream sequence made history..? -Heather
Langenkamp did o.k for her buck..? -But was superb
hole threw the film..! -Robert Englund; -did a great
job two..! -After his triumph in; -A Nightmare on Elm
Street 2: -Freddy's Revenge.. -1985..!
The script may be a week concept..! -But it is a movie
that is a joy two watch; -over; -and; -over; -again..? -the
music, -by; -Charles Bernstein is; -magnificint..! -It will
get chill's down your spine..? -And it is for that great
hardcore fan out their..? -But no hardcore fan out their
like me.. -This movie shooed thrill you like..! -Alfred
Hitchcock's; -Psycho..? -Which; -Craven; -put's in his
film's.. -And this one two..!
The movie begins with; -Tina Gray..! -Running from Freddy
as she confronts him in the boiler..? -She wakes up and
fines her clothes ripp.. -As her mom comes and tells
her two stop that kind of dreaming..! -Then it's the
next the kid's go two school.. -Tina is feeling uneasy
and alway's thinking of the bad dream she had the
night before.. -Then she stay's over..! -For a
party..? -The Kid's sleep..! -Then she meets the
Boogeyman..! -Out in the backyard and is viciously attack
by; -Freddy.. -Later..! -Nancy's friends begin two die
off one by one.. -Rodd.. -Corrie.. -Hang's him self in the jail cell..?
Glenn Lantz.. -Actor; -Johnny Depp.. -Is butchard in
his bedroom in a bloody field fest..! -At the end of
the movie.. -Nancy confront's Freddy and beat's him..?
I even enjoyed the part where she is at the dream
clinic..! -Which I like very much..! -It is
so Hitchcokian..! -The film has full of
suspense.. -Humor.. -A bit of nudity in
some places of the movie..?
I totally recconmand this two any horror buff ho
had not catch this eye brow horror movie..?

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie!!!, Nov. 1 2008
I love this movie so much that I dressed up as Freddy Krueger for Halloween

2.0 out of 5 stars Is This Really That Great?, June 27 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
Ok, let me get this straight right now. I am 15 years old. While I do know that the film had a small budget, and I tell you I was impressed with a lot of the special effects (Especially for the time it was made and budget) the acting just ruined it for me. It was not scary to me at all. The gimmick of Freddy killing people in their dreams was pretty cool. Sadly, it just fell apart. The dreams were really not that, well, dreamy. The end just fell apart as well. This was an ok film. Maybe it was because I bought this with Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But I think the movie was ruined because of one reason.
Everybody started to like Freddy. Can you really be afraid of a figure that appears as a friend?

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE !!, March 3 2009
Just buy this now. you know you want it.
its a classic.

I cant wait to see 3-4 on bluray !!

2.0 out of 5 stars worst Freddy ever!, Jan. 8 2011
I didn't like this movie at all. The story isn't the same, and the guy playing Freddy sucks. Also, the make up artists got creative and totally ruined the look of Freddy. Ya, I know story lines sometimes change when re'makes are done, but to change Freddy from a child killer, to just some guy who liked to "cut" kids, not kill them, and to have a bunch of parents get together to kill him for that, makes no sense. Plus a bunch of other stuff was different. Worst remake ever.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Widescreen/Full Screen)
CDN$ 38.93