5.0 out of 5 stars BEST GAME OF ALL TIME
I dont kno what everyone is talkin about this game is a rite of passage. After I have played this game no game ahs ever matched up to it. I dont think that the graphics have anything to do w/the game play. The storyline is one of the most phenomenal and greatest ever made. All the characters have their own unique story line and the more you play it the more you discover...
Published on July 8 2004 by Sandra Marinelarena

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what was expected.
The case was broken. Very big split in the middle. It is also missing the booklets, and it was not mentioned they would not be there. Not what I would call "great condition"....Haven't tried the disks yet. Worried that it will be like the rest of it: dissapointing.
Published 1 month ago by Kiki

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best rpg games ive played., Oct. 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
This is a very good game and one of my favorite final fantasy games that i have ever played. I have played final fantasy 4-10 and am playing ffx2. this game was the first final fantasy game that i have ever played and it introduced me to the wonderful world of final fantasy games. this game had very fun and interesting parts (the arcade ie.snowboarding, submarine battles, boxing etc...). and it also had a gripping story. although it did have its down sides (i did not like the breeding of chocobos). this game is better than other ff games in some respects but it is also not as good as others. the battle system for this game is much better than the one in ffx (in which you take turns). and it does not have that ugly junction system like ff8. but the main villain in this game is not as evil as the others in other ff games (people keep on talking about kefka from ff6 to be the evilest of them all). and the ending is not like the usual endings you get from other final fantasies. overall this is a good game but not the best final fantasy game out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion, the most overrated FF., June 14 2003
"zt86" (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
Not only the most overrated FF, but one of the most overrated video games of all-time. Sure, FF VII isn't a bad game, and while it was responsible for bringing RPG's into the mainstream and showing other companies how a 3D RPG is made, I don't see anything that special about it.
Released in 1997, FF VII has been played by millions of gamers, and it's most of the new-school gamers' first RPG. It's simply overrated. The story is average...chasing a villain (Sephiroth) and ending up in a "save the world" situation. Character development is also average. While a few characters are developed very well (Cloud comes to mind), others don't have enough. It wouldn't be so bad if one character didn't have much development, but there are a few.
Graphics were pretty good at the time, but I just don't really like the popeye-looking arms on the characters. When it comes to challenge, this is probably the easiest FF (not including the optional bosses, which will give you a rough time). You can easily save your Limit Breaks for a boss and beat it in a very short time. Magic and skills are learned through equipping Materia, which is a pretty cool idea.
As for extras (mini games, side quests, optional bosses), FF VII is a mixture of good and bad. I couldn't stand the chocobo breeding idea. Give me Chocobo Hot & Cold anytime over that. But the snowboarding mini game and the motorcycle riding were pretty neat. FF VII's replay value is alright. It doesn't have much that wants you to really go back to it though.
Most people give this a high score because it was their first FF. Others just want to go along with what other people have said. Don't let that fool you. FF VII is totally average, and I don't like seeing all these high scores for a game with nothing special. So it brought RPG's into the mainstream...big deal. I'm sure another RPG would have done that if FF VII hadn't come along at the time that it did.

5.0 out of 5 stars old skool rools, July 18 2004
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
HEY this game may be outdated but heck, OLD SKOOL ROCKS!!! this is the first FF game I ever got and im very impressed. Heck, the graphics arent great but after 5 min, you dont care how bad they are. The backrounds are great, and the cutscenes are awesome. The music will have you stopping just to listen. I'm not that far in the game, but its cool that its 3 discs long. the longer the better. this game is very challenging too. challenging is better too. i wasnt too surprised wen aeris died, but, its cool that anything can happen in this game and you dont think (oh this is just another game wer good guys allways win). I think this is one of the greatest ps1 games ever, and its even better than FF8. the fight sequences in this game are the best! it doesnt let you wait to decide, you hav to act fast, or else the enemies will get the jump on you. well, i say this is a MUST BUY. its very cheap, too. buy this game if you want a long, fun, challenging, impressive work of art (whoa that was bad.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Game!, July 17 2004
Brandy (Muncie, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
Final Fantasy VII was the first in the FF series that I had ever played. I received it for Christmas from my mother who only bought it because it was on sale. I am still so grateful that she did. I have had the game for a few years now, and I still enjoy playing it as much as I did when I first received it. The plot is so detailed that there are not words to describe it. At first you believe that this game is just going to be about stopping "shinra," and evil company out to destroy the world by sucking up all of its energy, but you soon realize that nothing, not even the main character, is what they seem to be. There is a very disappointing moment in the middle part of the game, where one of your main characters leaves your party (for reasons I will not give away), but the aftermath of their depature makes you want to push on in the game even more so you can settle the score, so to say. This game is a great way to lose track of time. I myself have spent countless hours just walking around battling in order to make myself stronger, and the active battle system keeps you on your toes. Unlike other FF games (FF X to be specific), you can not just sit and think about the action you are going to take in battle, because all the while the monsters you are fighting are able to take thier turns freely. There is a pause ability in battles if something were to come up, which is helpful. Another great thing about the gameplay is the world map which you can save on at ANY time, which is great if you have to stop playing all of a sudden. All in all this is a great game, and as it is not that expensive anymore as it has been out for a long time, even if you didn't like the game, you wouldn't be out a lot of money. But trust me, you will not be disappointed. Everyone should own a copy, whether they have played FF games before or not...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best games have twists and make you connect..., July 4 2004
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
The Music, the game play, the characters and the story line are all....well just WHOA! =) Alright, not only do I like the music because it puts my little brothers to sleep (the music is relaxing at times), but I also enjoy it adds A LOT to this game. The game play is top notch and I love the characters they put in this game,(and for Final Fantasy lovers have you ever noticed that there is a Cid in every Final Fantasy game?) also the story lines behind them...is well enjoyable and it's funny how everything connects and fits in place. Last the story line in phenominal. It's nothing that can be explained, said, or told...it needs to be experienced because just when you think you figure things out...you realize that you have been mislead or the story is just a little twisted and you discover a lot about the story and a lot about the characters.
This is the best RPG game I have EVER played and I mainly only play RPG games and I have beaten a total of 25 different RPG games so far. I, also, have been playing this game for 7 years and I still don't get tired of it, heck I even memorized the WHOLE ENTIRE strategy guide...and if you dont have one of those...well I highly recommend it, but it's also fun not knowing what you are doing, too (I did it the first time).
(If you keep on reading there is a spoiler..so just skip these next 2 paragraphs.)
Alright, many people have conflict with the fact that one of the main characters...a flower girl named Aeris, who is actually in fact the last surviving ancient and the last hope to save the planet, well she dies. I have a major bone to pick with you little punks, it added a surprising and emotional twist because you get connected with these characters and lot of people just quit the game and I just want you people to get over yourselves. Ok, hear me out here....to SAVE the PLANET she died....do you think that is a good cause? Just one thing just gets me, all through out the game you can revive people, so why not just revive her?
One more thing, yes I would LOVE for this game to get re-made with better graphics,(with no change in the story line, but they could add more endings that you can reach or unlock also more side quests and mini-games) but by all means I do love the graphics for this game and you do kind or get connected to these graphics with there little cube like hands...its kinda cute.
Also, I would recommend this game to anyone....right now I am playing with my 2 little brothers who are 6 and 7 (just cut out some words).

5.0 out of 5 stars "Quite possibly the greatest game ever made", June 16 2003
Steve (Carmel, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
That is a quote from the back of the jewel but I wasnt quite sure to believe it. I saw it in stores 5 years ago, had heard all of the hype and figured I'd spend the 50 bucks to get it. It was one of the best 50 I have ever spent. Now wait a sec, dont think this review is just biased raving claiming this to be the best game ever of all time and for the rest of time. While at this point I would like to say that, I realize that saying it wouldnt help much, so I'll focus on the actual game.
Okay, so it is from 1997, and it is currently 2003. That makes this game 6 years old. The graphics have to be pretty bad, right? Wrong. While the realtime graphics don't compare to current games, the cutscenes are FANTASTIC. Really, they are beautiful. Lots of games have the power to make great graphics, and they do, but these are put together like a movie in that the camera angles are great, the render engine is stunning, and not to mention the scene layouts are incredible. Some of the really great cut scenes dont come until later in the game, but you wont be bored during the wait. That brings me to the next subject. The gameplay is very well executed. It is a turn-based rpg, which means battles are seperate from when you walk around and such. Your moves are executed in the ATB (active time battle) system where you dont wait your turn, but rather a time meter fills up that determines when you attack, defend, cast a spell, etc.. There are several characters, you can cycle between who is in your party at most times and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Skill is aquired by gaining experience points and leveling up. You can also get better armor, shields, weapons, etc. Apart from the battle system, there is the final fantasy unique 'world map'. It means that instead of having levels/stages/boards, you can explore, gain experience and level up, etc. by going wherever you want on, literally, an entire planet. Although the storyline restricts this at certain times.
Okay, so now that we have the graphics stuff out of the way, let's move on to the story. In my opinion, the story is the best part of the game. If no other part of this game remains the best for all time, then the story will. I truly believe that this is the best storyline EVER in a game. Although it is slightly cliched, I will say that it is a touching but exciting story about love and hate, good and evil, the horrible effects of an evil corporation's technological expansion killing the planet, and very ORIGINAL story points that, unfortunately, trying to explain could very well ruin the game for you. You're just gonna have to spend the 50 to find out. I would pay 100 if I knew how great it was gonna be.
Finally, the music score. For a video game, this is unbelievable. FFVII pulled the game industry out of the horrible pit of MIDI blip sounds and other bad music, with a HUGE bound. The soundtrack is huge, every single song from the opening menu to the ending credits 70 hours later is absolutely incredible and I would venture to say epic. Each one is wonderfully written, ranging from lighthearted and happy to melancholy and sad to powerful cut scene tracks (If you like them enough, they have an 80+ track soundtrack available).
I could go on forever about how great all of these things are, but I imagine that the review readers wouldn't appreciate that, so I will cut the rest short.
This game was stunning in 1997, and it is stunning in 2003. It is like no other game I have ever played, and is definately for a more mature crowd, as some kids wouldn't understand the plot, and some of the themes/language might not be very appropriate for kids. I am not kid bashing here. Some can understand it, but it is all maturity level that counts, not age. Just use discretion.
As for weak points, good luck finding any, because I sure haven't. Well, I hope my review has helped you make a better choice. But for [$$$]? Come on, give it a try. You will at least be somewhat entertained for the 60 or 70 hours it takes to play all 3 discs. Happy gaming!

5.0 out of 5 stars The great video game epic, July 8 2004
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
Sure, the word "epic" is thrown around a lot on the back covers of games, but this game really is one. Of course, you can probably tell that from the fact that it's three discs long. From the great music to the excellent battle system to the plot with a depth rarely seen in video games to the wonderful graphics... okay, so the graphics aren't wonderful. In fact, they suck. The exception to the graphics comes in the fairly cool looking occasional movie scenes. Not being a huge RPG fan, I took the fairly direct route through the game. RPG extremists have a ton more to do, from raising chocobos to fighting that (expletive deleted) Ruby Weapon. Also, the special attacks are really cool. They range from fancy swordfighting techniques like cross-slash to a guy who turns into popular horror movie characters (a Jason imitation, complete with chainsaw, helped me defeat Safer Sephiroth) . Anyway, this is a great game that is worth more than twenty bucks, so get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest game ever made. One million stars., July 11 2004
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
Words can't describe how great this game is. This could be made into a motion picture and be a best seller. The script is the greatest from any game ever made. I have had this for 5 years and have played through it almost 10 times. Everything is perfect except for the graphics. Fortunately, the story is so enthralling that you won't be paying attention to them. The characters are easily lovable in this game. I will not go into the story here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. The main character, Cloud, comes off as arrogant at first but his growth and maturity throughout the story is simply astounding. The game spans 4 discs and is truly epic. (think Lord of The Rings) Throughout the story, you are forced to endur great happiness and love betweeen characters, only for the story to take a Romeo and Juliet esque turn for the worse. This game will have you hooked. A true emotional roller coaster. It will change you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars best game ever, July 1 2004
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
...it is. from beginning to end it engrosses you into the epic storyline. I reccomend this game to anyone looking for a great story. the graphics arent much except during the movies. I definetly would not reccomend this to anyone who is less than halfway intelligent, or has no time to play(I played for months doing extras before finishing it, which in itself was no where near easy.) the characters in this game are what keeps it alive. they each have there own personalities and way of doing things. I found the "bad guy"(i dont think hes that bad, but thats a different story...)to be the most interesting. the story unfolds as you go and you find that everything happened for a reason. o.k. now i'm done ranting about my favorite game.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game ever made, July 14 2004
Anthony Steele (Hamilton, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy VII (Video Game)
FF7 is the greatest installment in the whole Final Fantasy genre. It's 3D graphics, badass music, and intense, deep storyline, make it a classic to all FF fans out there. This game really got me hooked on FF. I beat 2 and 3, but they didn't pull me in like this one. This game has the coolest villian in any of the games. Sephiroth's looks, attitude, and sword skills can really kick your ass. The music in this game is also kick ass. So I would reccomend this game to a FF beginner or a veteran because it is absolutely flawless, and i think it's the best game ever made.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII by SONY ELECTRONIC (PlayStation)
Used & New from: CDN$ 54.39