‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best artist you've never heard of., Dec 11 2002
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Willy Porter is a virtual God among musicians; he gets accolades from all types of people in and out of the industry. Some people are skeptical of anyone who gets too 'big' in the music world or garners too much praise. Let me tell you, Willy is still a buried jewel; most people don't know who he is even though he has opened for the likes of STING and DAVE MATTHEWS BAND. I feel sorry for 'most people'. Porter, a native of Milwaukee, can run rings around most ANY other guitar player on earth. I'd love to hear him one on one with Leo Kottke or the late Michael Hedges (Dave Matthews? Don't make me laugh). This, his second album, is also his finest hour so far. FALLING FORWARD is packed with Willy's inspired lyrical wit and charming baritone vibrato. His songs surround you and encase you. He is one of those musicians who can honestly be given the title of 'singer/songwriter'. Listen to "Cut The Rope" and "Paper Airplane". Also highly recommended are "Line" (quite melancholy) and "Hard", a great folk rocker. Porter is hard to classify because he weaves between and among genres so effortlessly, delving into near classical guitar sections, folk, jazz, rock, pop, and a bit of new age. FALLING FORWARD is a wonderful and unique release by a man who has yet to get his due. Having seen him perform three times, I can tell you that he is unbelievable not only as a musician, but also as a person; he's very modest and approachable.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like hearing Mozart perform, July 18 2001
Roger Townsend (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I have been blessed to see Willy Porter in concert four times in the past few months. He is an incredibly (I use that word literally) great acoustic guitarist, a marvelous singer, and a gifted songwriter. He also has an excellent sense of humor from the stage, and seems to be (from a few conversations I've had with him) to be a really nice, self-deprecating guy. He is definitely the most talented young musician I have heard/seen in my nearly half century of living. This album highlights his singing and songwriting. Backed by a band, his tremendous guitar work is somewhat stifled on many of the songs. Nevertheless, it is an album that I play several times a week because of its sheer beauty. After the last concert at which I saw him, my friends and I decided that this must be what it felt like watching Mozart perform. I encourage you not only to listen to this CD, but also to see Willy live whenever you can. His talent is essentially unlimited, as Jeff Beck, Paul Simon, Sting, and Jethro Tull all have recognized by inviting him to open for them on tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes to willy p, July 21 2000
Bob Sanoden (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I was introduced to WP by way of "Dog Eared Dream", enjoyed it, loved the sounds and the songwriting. I was barely three tracks into a test listen of "Falling Forward" at Borders when I knew I had to buy. This CD provides that rare instance when the artist's current release is better than his previous. I understand he has one other release than the above two, and would like to get my hands on it. I had the pleasure of seeing him and his band play in a very intimate setting, and again, I echo everyone else in saying you just hafta see him live. I was impressed to discover that many of the unique blends of sound captured on the CD were not merely the result of overdubbed multi-tracking, but him splitting one guitar signal thru several effects simultaneously. Very cool. My favorite track on "Falling Forward" is "Infinity" - I haven't heard a more haunting, captivating tune since maybe "Tea in the Sahara" by Police/Sting.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, AMAZING FIVE STAR ARTIST, March 24 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
How this genius of a musician has remained, as another reviewer describes ~ "the greatest musician you have never heard of" ~ has to be one of the music industry's greatest mysteries. Selfishly, as a fan, it is somewhat of a blessing; seeing Willy perform in a smaller, intimate setting defies description. The experience is something I will always treasure once the big time inevitably comes a knockin'. Everyone I have turned on to his music either through listening to CDs or attending concerts has been summarily blown away. He is so talented that he actually sounds even more amazing live. I'm pretty sure there are no words yet developed in the English language, or any language for that matter, sufficient to describe the talent rolled into this man's singing/songrwiting/guitar playing performance. This CD in particular, is amazing; not a song in the bunch worthy of a skip over ~ in fact this is one of those rare gems of a CD that is worthy of listening to over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, Aug. 26 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Falling Forward, the long awaited 3rd release from Willy Porter was definately worth the wait. Willy definately expresses and combines his amazing guitar work with equally good lyrics; the same skills that landed him dates opening for the likes of Tori Amos, and The Cranberries. 'Falling Forward' blends all types of music(namely rock, folk, blues, and jazz) into one to create what I consider to be fantastic. Songs like 'Cut the Rope, and 'The Line' express the intimate kind of songwriting that got Willy to this point, and songs like 'Mystery,' 'Sister,' and 'Tribe' express the great musical blend that few posess. Finally, 'Hard' is a song I hope to hear on the radio sometime soon. It posesses the perfect blend of radio friendliness with great songwriting. "Falling Forward" is a definite winner in my book!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time's a Charm, Jan. 21 2000
"dr_angi" (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
An amazing performer, not just a recording artist, Willy Porter's live shows are warm, memorable and always offer something new. The same is true of his albums. Willy's warm soothing voice has a husky quality which sounds richer than ever on this latest release. His band adds a textured accompaniment but still leaves room to showcase Willy's skills on guitar. There are some great tracks here, the first 4 being immediate favorites, but every track on this album offers something to remember. The lyrics are full of lingering images, the guitar-picking on Road Bone dazzling. Lilting rhythms on Sowelu add to its floating feeling carried by the chorus "Fly butterfly...into the sky..." Buy this album now, you'll love it. But see him live, he'll leave you awe-struck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly beautiful, April 17 2002
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
There is always a distinct scarcity of musicians who understand the concept of completeness in a recording, while still leaving space for the listener. This is one of those recordings that has a palpable space in between the instruments and the hauntingly familiar voice. I liken it to Chris Isaak or Daniel Lanois, with the sound being laidback and even a little melancholy, but still refreshingly beautiful. The lyrics are thoughtful and reflective, the instruments well played and well recorded, the voice emotive and expressive. The songwriting invites you in. When you put it all together, it's enough to give you the chills of music euphoria that we all spend so much time chasing when buying new releases. You won't be sorry with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Forward creates a striking balance, Dec 15 1999
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Falling Forward reaches that perfect balance of production and vitality that creates an accurate and supurb picture of the talent of one (in my opinion) of America's greatest singer/songwriters. Falling Forward is a solid album all the way from the first note of Mystery to the last chord of Somebody Else. It is chocked full of the purely blinding guitar talent that Willy Porter wields so gracefully. This next evolutionary step in Willy's music is just stunning. It has beautifully crafted and thoughtfull lyrics combined with the afore mentioned trademark guitar work. Definately worth haveing. See this artist live if you possibly can! Buy all of his albums! Go out of your way, it will be worth it! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait!!, Sept. 2 1999
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Are you looking for thought provoking songs? Would you like those thoughts to be accompanied by incredible music? If that is the case, then you should by this CD.
Willy Porter has managed to bring three qualities together for this cd: incredible skill, thoughtfullness and enjoyability. I have heard a number of technically amazing musicians that lack the ability to play consistantly enjoyable music. Likewise, the majority of the thought provoking music I have heard lacks on either the musically enjoyable or skill side.
Willy has managed to make stunning music that has thoughtfull lyrics, inspiring skill and is simply enjoyable to listen to.......score one more for Willy Porter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Willy Porter, May 9 2002
Ian and Kim Schroeder (eagan, mn United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of Willy Porter for the past 12 years. I first saw him in "concert" ... . He was promoting his first album--The Trees have soul--and WOW, I was stunned at his amazing and overwhelming REAL talent. Willy has become a recognized and celebrated performer since then. HUGE! But, he's still Willy--a good midwestern soul. He might be touring with the big league (Sting, Tori Amos, Paul Simon etc.), but he still said "yes" to a private concert for his biggest fan who he had never met. I recommend buying all three CD's at once--they will all blow you away. You will treasure and protect them as much as I have and continue to do. I even have backups!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Falling Forward
Falling Forward by Willy Porter (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info