‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, AMAZING FIVE STAR ARTIST, March 24 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
How this genius of a musician has remained, as another reviewer describes ~ "the greatest musician you have never heard of" ~ has to be one of the music industry's greatest mysteries. Selfishly, as a fan, it is somewhat of a blessing; seeing Willy perform in a smaller, intimate setting defies description. The experience is something I will always treasure once the big time inevitably comes a knockin'. Everyone I have turned on to his music either through listening to CDs or attending concerts has been summarily blown away. He is so talented that he actually sounds even more amazing live. I'm pretty sure there are no words yet developed in the English language, or any language for that matter, sufficient to describe the talent rolled into this man's singing/songrwiting/guitar playing performance. This CD in particular, is amazing; not a song in the bunch worthy of a skip over ~ in fact this is one of those rare gems of a CD that is worthy of listening to over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the target while defying categories, Feb. 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Willy Porter is one of the best relatively unknown musicians working today. The songs on this recording range from mellow acoustic numbers to more electrified numbers with a groove. Willy can play everything from bluegrass and roots folk to funk and jazz, and defies easy labels. On one occasion I watched amazed as a little ditty he was playing at between tunes turned into a 5 minute funk groove with a mesmerizing lyrics and playing, all totally improvised. This is a consumate musician and original song writer. He is one of those rare artists that can paint a commplete sonic image that the audience can share, and yet remain humble and full of down to earth humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase for any music lover, Jan. 10 2004
"daenger8114" (Winona, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Willy Porter is a great singer/songwriter. He should have become a star in today's culture not soon enough. He deserves all the praises he receives. Buy this album and you will see the greatness that comes from the mind of Willy Porter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seeing Willy Perform Live, July 22 2003
H. Wietecha "hollyjcw" (Augusta, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Paper Airplane has to be one of his greatest! I had the incredible opportunity to see him perform as a soloist in an intimate setting in Wausau, WI along with approximately 30 other people in a friend's living room. What a guy! His humor, wit, charm and talent is quite an unbelievable package. I strongly suggest this album for its DMB/Jack Johnson mellow style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best artist you've never heard of., Dec 11 2002
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
Willy Porter is a virtual God among musicians; he gets accolades from all types of people in and out of the industry. Some people are skeptical of anyone who gets too 'big' in the music world or garners too much praise. Let me tell you, Willy is still a buried jewel; most people don't know who he is even though he has opened for the likes of STING and DAVE MATTHEWS BAND. I feel sorry for 'most people'. Porter, a native of Milwaukee, can run rings around most ANY other guitar player on earth. I'd love to hear him one on one with Leo Kottke or the late Michael Hedges (Dave Matthews? Don't make me laugh). This, his second album, is also his finest hour so far. FALLING FORWARD is packed with Willy's inspired lyrical wit and charming baritone vibrato. His songs surround you and encase you. He is one of those musicians who can honestly be given the title of 'singer/songwriter'. Listen to "Cut The Rope" and "Paper Airplane". Also highly recommended are "Line" (quite melancholy) and "Hard", a great folk rocker. Porter is hard to classify because he weaves between and among genres so effortlessly, delving into near classical guitar sections, folk, jazz, rock, pop, and a bit of new age. FALLING FORWARD is a wonderful and unique release by a man who has yet to get his due. Having seen him perform three times, I can tell you that he is unbelievable not only as a musician, but also as a person; he's very modest and approachable.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, great, FANTASTIC, July 11 2002
"jrsygrrl" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I cannot say enough good things about this CD or Willy Porter. He's amazing. All of the tracks are good, Paper Airplane is my favorite. I just come home from work, take off my shoes, crank up the stereo and let myself get swept away by the music.
See him play live if you have the chance.....it will leave you awestruck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Willy Porter, May 10 2002
Ian and Kim Schroeder (eagan, mn United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of Willy Porter for the past 12 years. I first saw him in "concert" ... . He was promoting his first album--The Trees have soul--and WOW, I was stunned at his amazing and overwhelming REAL talent. Willy has become a recognized and celebrated performer since then. HUGE! But, he's still Willy--a good midwestern soul. He might be touring with the big league (Sting, Tori Amos, Paul Simon etc.), but he still said "yes" to a private concert for his biggest fan who he had never met. I recommend buying all three CD's at once--they will all blow you away. You will treasure and protect them as much as I have and continue to do. I even have backups!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly outstanding performance, April 29 2002
Heather Hatcher "yorkdigger" (Williamsburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I actually just ordered this CD and am waiting for it to arrive, but I just saw Willy for the first time live this past weekend. All I can say is....WOW. It's been a very long time since I was actually blown away by a music performance, but this guy has the goods!! He just started touring with Jethro Tull, so if you want an evening of music to remember, either go out and see this show when it comes to your area, or go out and buy this CD, or better yet, both!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly beautiful, April 17 2002
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
There is always a distinct scarcity of musicians who understand the concept of completeness in a recording, while still leaving space for the listener. This is one of those recordings that has a palpable space in between the instruments and the hauntingly familiar voice. I liken it to Chris Isaak or Daniel Lanois, with the sound being laidback and even a little melancholy, but still refreshingly beautiful. The lyrics are thoughtful and reflective, the instruments well played and well recorded, the voice emotive and expressive. The songwriting invites you in. When you put it all together, it's enough to give you the chills of music euphoria that we all spend so much time chasing when buying new releases. You won't be sorry with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Folk, March 24 2002
Dominika Lepak "nikatoo" (Bakersfield, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Falling Forward (Audio CD)
I first discovered Willy Porter opening for a Keb' Mo' concert. I was amazed by his improvisational songs (a trademark of his live shows), and immediately ordered this disc. Shortly after, I saw him from second row at a small venue, and it was the most amazing concert I've ever been to. In order to really enjoy WP, see him live. Falling Forward has great lyrics, amazing acoustics, and is all around beautiful. Without seeing Willy live, you'll like it; after seeing him live, you'll love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa595ba44)

Falling Forward
Falling Forward by Willy Porter (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info