Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

2,759
The Matrix (Widescreen)
Format: DVDChange
Price:$19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 2,069 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on August 27, 2013
I'm not going to review the film, since most people have already seen or at least know the plot.

It's not true 1920 x 1080, but it does appear to be very close. (The only reason I know is because I work in television).

The shipment came ahead of schedule (only took 3 days).

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the quality of translation, for I do not speak French, but this is definitely worth the money
!!!!!
on November 24, 2007
The Matrix Trilogy, and especially the first installment, must be one of the most significant films of our time, and is likely to go down as an all time sci-fi classic along with the likes of Blade Runner. It is obviously laden with symbology fished from a variety of sources, but I wonder if the Watchowski brothers realised just exactly how powerful a metaphor for our reality they were creating.

The central premise that our lives are not 'real' but are steeped in illusion in order that our life force may be fed upon whilst we are enfenced unwittingly like cattle - this is a relevant and powerful message on many levels. It can easily be seen that this is true on a superficial level, with the rampant rise of ultra-aggressive capitalist consumerism, whereby everyone is 'sold a dream' in order to siphon off all income to profit the few, but it goes deeper than that, and can be used to catch a glimpse of some ideas on the true nature of reality. The overlap with material such as Castaneda is remarkable, with stories about the archetypal predator who is invisible, and feeds on us because he has 'given us his mind'. In all, it is a striking metaphor for the human condition.

Of course the great thing is that, even if you don't want to explore things to those levels, taken at surface value as a piece of entertainment, the Matrix is still a fantastic sci-fi/action film, with colourful characters, awesome visuals, and a solid original plotline. Taken as a trilogy, this is a fantastic piece of film-making artwork, but the first episode definitely has the lead for sheer impact and originality. Recommended to all!
on November 17, 2007
This is still my favourite movie and one that I have seen more than 10 times. It is a movie that can be seen on many levels. Some will see it just as a great action movie which it is, but there is so much more to this film. It is a fantastic depiction of the journey of the spiritual seeker and the difficulties that he encounters within himself as he starts pushing against the prisons of his own mind and the multitude of programs that operates and which keep us small.

It also neatly depicts the way humans are kept as 'food for the moon' in Gurdjieff's words or simply food for ultra terrestrials. In the film this is depicted as humans, being little less than cultivated biological batteries for the machines.

The story is part of a trilogy and all three parts are worth watching more than once, as you will undoubtedly see new things each time. Things that start making sense only after some time of reflection and reading. In this regard I can recommend reading the book by Ouspensky called "In Search of the Miraculous", and the book by Laura Knight-Jadczyk called "The Secret History of the World".
on May 28, 2004
This movie has a great cast, great cosutmes, cutting edge action, original storyline and it's just plain cool. The leather duds, flying kicks and black glasses have brought back the popularity of the trench coat, brought back appreciation for kung fu movies and sent the sunglass revolution on a spinning craze.
The script is quite clever that to this day I still find it mind-boggling. It has definitely sparked after-movie discussions because I've had to ask my more intellectual friends to explain it to me. I am glad that it decided to throw in action sequences which suited the less brainy audiences. All around a novel concenpt and should have just stopped right here.
The following sequels seemed somewhat of a disappointment. As you were expecting each sequel to become more novel and orginal, it had to come to deal with teh reality of the Matrix in the fight of humans aginst the machines. It was better to have left you wondering and thinking "what-if".
My favorite characters, by far, are the agents. In their secret-service like manner to be anti-cool, they were very cool and just as lethal as the rebels. "Find them and Destroy Them" is one of my favorite lines followe dby an agent slowly bringing his hand to his ear piece.
A neat film. Conceptually confusing at times, but the action more than makes up for it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 20, 2014
When The Matrix was released in 1999, it gave audiences something new. Some of the ideas had been used before, but the overall combination had not. It can be viewed as a cool action/sci-fi movie or as something a lot deeper.

Thomas Anderson/Neo (Keanu Reeves) has a regular job working in an office cubicle, but searches online for the identity of someone when he's at home. One day, his computer communicates with him by text messages and his life is forever changed. After following suggestions made by the messages, he meets Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss).

Morpheus gives Neo a choice and shows him how the world really is. It's been taken over by sentient forms of artificial intelligence and humans are nothing more than fuel. Human life no longer exists in the sense that we know it. Instead, experiences are artificially created in the minds of the imprisoned humans. Morpheus and a small group offer Neo the chance to fight back.

After the initial setup, we see Neo undergoing his training. Morpheus and his crew are able to impart knowledge of any kind within seconds by loading information directly into Neo's brain. We see him learn many different martial arts and his skills are tested in a fight with Morpheus. Success depends on Neo's belief in his ability rather than actual physical prowess. He's capable of jumping huge distances and moving at speeds which aren't possible in the world as we know it.

Morpheus leads a fight against the A.I.'s and believes that Neo is The One, as predicted in a phrophecy. If true, Neo might have the ability to liberate all humans and allow them to live real lives.

Action scenes are frequent and use slow motion to emphasize some of the moves. It's a cool effect and is part of the reason that The Matrix is one of the most popular science fiction movies ever made. As I mentioned earlier, it can be viewed as something deeper. It's up to you whether you see it as a comment on religion or on life itself. It's definitely a movie which can be enjoyed on more than one level.
on March 27, 2013
I consider this movie to be one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, right up there with the first two 'Alien' movies and various anime like 'Cyber City: Oedo', 'Ghost in the Shell' (which played a role in inspiring this movie), and 'Akira'. Being the hardcore anime fan that I am, I found 'The Matrix's' style very appealing and fun to watch. Everyone fit their roles perfectly in this movie; despite the fact that I'm not a fan of any of them (except Hugo Weaving), Keanu Reeves was much more likeable and believable than Will Smith would have ever been (he was originally considered to play the role of Neo, but he himself turned it down because 'he wasn't a serious enough actor'. I like Will Smith, but I totally agree with him). And let's not forget Hugo Weaving's brilliant performance as Agent Smith. Like this movie, I consider Hugo Weaving to be one of the greatest things to have ever come into existence. He has maintained his status of being the highlight in the entire Matrix franchise, alongside the action sequences that are nothing short of amazing.
Now, many people complain about the middle of this movie up until the point where Neo sees a deja-vu cat to be super-boring, but I disagree, and I tell them to open their damn ears and listen to what the characters were saying so that they are so frigging confused later on, because everything that's said in the movie is said with a purpose. Not to mention, everything that's said is actually very interesting.
"Whoa."
Anyway, I'll be closing this review by highly recommending it to any sci-fi lover who's been crazy enough to NOT view it yet. This movie is like the 'Pulp Fiction' of... well... science fiction.
***** out of *****
on November 17, 2007
This is still my favourite movie and one that I have seen more than 10 times, as I went out and got the VHS edition back then before DVD's were in. It is a movie that can be seen on many levels. Some will see it just as a great action movie which it is, but there is so much more to this film. It is a fantastic depiction of the journey of the spiritual seeker and the difficulties that he encounters within himself as he starts pushing against the prisons of his own mind and the multitude of programs that operates and which keep us small.

on June 4, 2004
Though it came out a year short, I consider The Matrix to be the 1st movie of the 21st century. This film successfully combines all of the best elements of past action movies and propels the genre forward into the digital age. By the mid to late 80's action movies had evolved enough where the hero could be an ordinary guy. Strongmen like Anuld & Sly, hard boiled private eyes, lone wolf cops and deadly assassins still had & have their places but there was the growing acceptance of portraying the hero as a family man with real concerns, a tormented soul living in troubled times or just a guy caught up in events beyond his control. The Matrix takes this further by, finally, proving both computers and virtual reality are usable elements for action movies. Previous attempts to integrate computers and virtual reality into mainstream action & Sci-Fi have met with mixed results at best. The Terminator movies, especially T2, were probably the best of the lot at combining an alternate reality with present day action. Certainly, virtual reality and alternate reality are different but they belong in the same family. The Matrix turns this upside down and inside out. The real world is presented as fake and an alternate reality; a post apocalypse machine ruled world, is posited as the real world. In this movie, the characters themseves get to choose their characters as they leave the real world and enter the Matrix. They wear leather and sunglasses. The know martial arts and how to handle guns and pilot attack helicopters. In real life, they are hunted & largely helpless. In the Matrix, they are studs. Most of the 1st half is philosophy 101 as Neo (our hero) must decide between a lonely and unsatisfying false reality and an exciting but dangerous post-apocalypse where machines feed off humans and supply them w/ a world to keep them alive. Predestination vs. free will, of course. Man vs. machine. Immediate gratification vs. long term viability. And so on. Most of the second half is fantastic action (often in slo-mo) to rock music and a budding love affair. Smart, cool, modern & pace setting.
on April 15, 2004
Now that all 3 movies in the Trilogy are out. I will review each one.
This Matrix is the first installment in the Matrix trilogy. It focuses on Thomas Anderson aka NEO. Neo is a software developer by day, computer hacker by night. He knows that there is something wrong with the world but can't quite figure out what it is. When he meets Morpheus he decides he wants to know what the Matrix really is. After Neo finds out he does not believe his eyes. Towards the middle of the movie, NEO finally comes to grips that the Matrix is just a computer program that humans are plugged into while the machines live off of them. After knowing this NEO slowly discovers that he can do superhuman things while in the Matrix because the Matrix world is not "real".
Many of you already seen the movie so there is no need for me to go into much more detail about the plot. But I will say that this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long long time. After figuring out what the Matrix really was, I was blown away by the original storyline, and I began to think to myself "what if the world I'm living in is like the Matrix?" I have seen this movie at least 20 times, and I never get tired of it. The speical effects and fighting scenes are nothing short of spectatcular. This is a must have title for your collection. I can't believe anyone would give this movie anything less than 4 stars. Its not your average movie and it does require some thinking to see what is actually going on. If one does not really understand the storyline, then they will write this movie off as another action flick when in reality this movie goes so much deeper. 5 stars in my book!
on April 15, 2004
In the Matrix world, people live lives of virtual reality of materialism. In �greal�h reality, you are one of the generator�fs cell dreaming everything but having nothing material.
People are grown and when their bodies come to generate nothing e.g. die, are simply disposed of. It can be said that the management is perfectly rational and, may be some people would say; �gWhy not?�h, like Cypher did. After all, many people do not even know they live and die in the matrix world as something (not a human being) that the Matrix can use at its disposal. So, why should they not keep dozing in the virtual-material world?
Now, what I believe is that we are born to this irrational, unequal and can-be-very-violent world in order to make our souls better, lighter and shinier ones.
So, one question here is: can you discipline your soul in the Matrix�fs virtual reality?
I believe the answer is �gNo�h.
That is why the �gawakened�h should help people get themselves out of the Matrix and fight back against its invincible power, even though �gawakening�h from the dream world of the Matrix means to re-born into the shabby and hopeless, thus, can-be-so-depressing real world.
The good news is that: if you realize that there is actually no material world around you, you can release yourself from the physical rules of the Matrix world and can change �gvirtually�h everything with your free-will and, therefore, can live in freedom in spiritual sense. In the film �gthe Matrix�h it is only �gthe One�h who can do that, but, I think, everyone may have the potential to be Neo.
Release yourself from the Matrix of your bodily limitations. Be Neo. Be free. Then all sufferings and agony will be gone ferever.