march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Kitchen Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 14, 2003
One of the more introspective and personal albums I've heard, The Hurting did very well for its remastering. I listened to the original CD release recently then replaced it with this one, and it's a welcome change to hear a bit more life in this recording as well as some nuances completely lost on the original CD. I did not notice a change in the speed, as someone else noted, but I have not done an A/B comparison. The additional tracks are interesting and nice to have, but they don't add all that much to the original album. "The Way You Are" is an oddity; it does not belong with this set except for its timeline (pre-"Songs From the Big Chair"). Instead it's what happens when "Tears for Fears" tries to be "WHAM!", which is a real break from the rest of the album's more early 80's synth/guitar pop sound.
But don't let that one track stop you from updating your current CD to this remastered edition if you are someone who finds this album important and meaningful. This album will click with those who grew up in a world where love and acceptance either did not exist or were conditional at best and will be spending the rest of their lives looking for what they lost. Musically and lyrically it is not heavy; it is surprisingly light and listenable despite the message underneath.
on September 10, 2002
I don't want to write ad nauseaum, but this album (no CD's when this came out) transformed me and related to my inner being in a way that only few artists/releases can. I have over 2,200 CD's, and this is easily in my top 10 rock/pop releases of all time in terms of sheer likeability, emotion, compositional quality, etc. I listen to this now in 2002, and it still floors me 19 years after it was released!!! The music is masterfully 'pop-ish', but retains an intensity and tenseness coupled to simply classy beautiful memorable songs. The result is one of the most unique and refreshing releases to date. Every song is super fantastic, with my personal faves being "The Hurting", "Mad World", "Pale Shelter", "Memories Fade", and "Watch Me Bleed". This is, quite possibly, the BEST release of the 80's!
on September 10, 2002
on June 22, 2001
Most debu albums are pure crap, honestly. This album although is a thrilling and powerful experience right when you put it in the cd player and here the first track "The Hurting". The best songs of course are "Mad World" , "Pale Shelter", "Change", "The prisoner", and of course "The way you are". These are the poppy songs that are bright and outgoing along with good harmony. My favorite song on here would have to be "Memories Fade", since it hits you straight in the heart. This was definitely a good starting place for the greatest group of the 80's. I love the great way they remastered this album, and the new tracks are splendid. If you like pop from the 80's GET THIS!!!!!
on March 26, 2004
The reviewers who mentioned that a) this album deserves so much more than an "it came from the 80s" nod and b) that it's an undeniable classic nail it. As for what The Hurting sounds and feels like, TFF channel big hurts into sweeping, arch synth work where space and silence do just as much as the duo's highwire voices...not totally unlike Songs from the Big Chair in intensity, but somehow brisker and lighter at moments...kind-of like the pace of childhood (a major theme for the album). This genre-defying debut can be recommended to anyone who simply likes sincerely wonderful, fresh, emotional music. A must-own.
on April 15, 2006
This and ABC's Lexicon of Love came out at around the same time and both have remained in my top 10 albums ever, for reasons that have been ably stated elsewhere.
But I must reply to the guy who wants the boy relegated to an insert... This was the original album cover, I'm from the Uk, maybe the States did something different. I certainly remember the moody shot from the video to Mad World, but it wasn't the cover of the album, the boy was.
on March 14, 2014
I bought a few blu-ray audio disk and they have much better sound than CD - no question. My only complaint is that the engineers have really push the gain on the sound ... they sound too aggressive. I had to return Amy Winehouse Back to Black and a few others because of this.

... Note to engineers: don't jack the volume dudes!

S