1,141 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking
Shocking even for an ex infantry man...the first 20 minutes on the beaches of Normandy had me on the edge of my sit with tears rolling down my face. I recall the anxiety I was feeling watching the soldiers get hammered on the French beach. It was a totally brilliant cinematic sequence which places you first person in the middle of a battle.
I truly beleive this is a...
Published on Nov. 22 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars The more you watch the worse it gets
The first time I watched SPR I was a blown away. I would have given it 5 stars. The next time 4 stars. Now that I watched it for the final time I give it 1 star. Why? Because once you get past the special effects and the great camera work you are left with a terrible script, childish cartoon characters, and a sloppy, unrealistic plot. Just take part of the movie (spoilers...
Published on March 7 2004 by TR wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, Nov. 22 2005
By A Customer
I truly beleive this is a must see for the younger generation who may not know what their grandparents/ great grandparents did to save the world from Nazi Germany 60+ years ago.
For the war movie fan you can't miss it.
One of the all time great war movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, March 15 2011
Mark Sadler (Burlington, Ontario) - See all my reviews
The first and last time I watched Saving Private Ryan was in the theatre when it was released. I remember it being quite the experience. But the passage of time had dulled some of the finer points of why this movie is so spectacular. Thankfully, Saving Private Ryan on Blu Ray does a fine point of recreating the movie experience of some years ago. Though the colours are meant to be somewhat muted to create the realism, this film looks superb. However, what really stands out in this Blu Ray is the sound. On my 5.1 surround system, in the battle scenes, the battles were brought right into my living room -- or rather -- my living room was taken out to battle. I could feel the explosions rocking the floor and bullets flying by my head. Battles aside (and they are some of the best ever put on film), this is an emotionally involving story that left a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as the credits rolled at the end. Saving Private Ryan, along with The Deer Hunter, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now, is one of the great war films. Speilberg created a great piece of cinema and this blu ray showcases it in its full glory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Private Ryan Blu Ray, May 9 2010
C. Cairns (Coldbrook, NS) - See all my reviews
This blu ray edition makes a great movie even greater. The film is supposed to maintains the directors intened wash out look but I find it slighlty more colorful than previous dvd editions ( this is not a bad thing). The picture is crisp and detailed and the audio is superb. Definitely worth the upgrade if you are a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars My opinion - the best war movie portrayal ever put to film., Sept. 13 2013
One outstanding and affecting war movie, with incredible realism and showing the many personal losses and tragedies that take place in such settings, many of which aren't talked about but make up the complete fabric of these men's lives, and those who knew them. Great action; great pain; great moviemaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to life story with provoking history, Aug. 10 2013
Not to lose the history rewarding hero's with frontline selfless action for peace and Saving Private Ryan describes the action of war hero's

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Cinema Benchmark, Aug. 4 2013
The 25 minutes of storming the beach in France, is one of the most spectacular scenes in cinema history. If you have invested in a surround sound system for your home, this is an essential purchase. The film’s key sonic signatures are absolute realism – as just one example, every gunshot is generated from a recording of an authentic weapon firing live ammunition – and thunderous, hitherto-unparalleled levels of volume. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Spielberg, May 6 2013
This review is from: Saving Private Ryan (Widescreen) (DVD)
Again Spielberg brought us a heart wrenching, exciting and well made movie. He has set the bar high and continues to raise it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest war films ever, Oct. 18 2012
Johnny Boy "Ivan" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie while not historically correct is a great film.I don't understand those who are panning it and in particular someone called a customer who seems to pan every movie ever made.Just wondering.Have it as a dvd and blue ray and I consider it money well spent.Jon

4.0 out of 5 stars Glory in the Midst of Sacerfice, Sept. 27 2004
"midnite565" (Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Maybe one of the bloodiest movies I've ever seen. Which is one of the cons for the movie because not all ages would know of serious impact of World War II.
It was a true story of Friendship and Loyality. Touching to the heart and true to the soul. Saving Private Ryan is one of the Best Movies I've ever seen in my life. It will stay with you forever. Even if you think Romance is the only way. Or if you like only comedies, this movie will amaze you in many ways.

I highly Reccommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 5 2014
This review is from: Saving Private Ryan (Widescreen) (DVD)
My favourite movie of all time. This deal is a bargain! Video and audio quality is great. Easy 5 stars.

ARRAY(0xaffc2fe4)

Saving Private Ryan (Widescreen)
Saving Private Ryan (Widescreen) by Steven Spielberg (DVD - 1999)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.99