5.0 out of 5 stars How has this not been reviewed yet?
Buy it. Now. If you don't have this, you're wasting time as we speak.
Published on Dec 10 2003 by Delgious Magnum

3.0 out of 5 stars Gems in the sand
Having enjoyed Permutation so much, I picked up Bricolage. Tobin's sound seems to be constantly evolving, and his earlier sound I have mixed feelings about. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could because nothing's bad, there just aren't enough songs that I really listen to often.
The gems on this album are "Chomp Samba", a tripped-out electronic ride...
Published on Jan. 19 2002 by C. G. Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How has this not been reviewed yet?, Dec 10 2003
Delgious Magnum (Blitzfield Falls, VT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
Buy it. Now. If you don't have this, you're wasting time as we speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M LATE AS USUAL!!!, Oct. 28 2003
D. Lee "dlatrell" (Jackson, MS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
But "Bricolage" bares a review from me! I heard Amon Tobin's Bridges on the AstoBar CD from Water Music Records and was like, "HMMM"...but it didn't impress me enough to go out and by any of his stuff. It was not until my utter boredom with today's so-called electronica and my sudden revelation that my compilation CDs really aren't all that great, that forced me to sample other "alternatives" of music. Amon Tobin was the first person to come to mind. After sampling only :30 of his stuff online and at my favorite record store (really not enough time to get a true feel for a CD--Amazon, you guys should extend samples to at least a minute--but, I digress!), I was like "Oh, No! Cheerleader music!" Taking a dare, I went ahead and got "Bricolage" and I haven't stopped listening to it since its purchase. I was shocked to realize that Amon Tobin wasn't a bunch of recycled, mainstream crap that you hear on teen movie soundtracks and video games, but instead a cacophony of utter brilliance from every music genre out there! The man utilizes so many styles of music together that it makes your head spin! Why didn't I get hip to this guy sooner?!?!! I'll go down the list of what I think of each song, bare with me:

1. Stoney Street- an amazing jazz selection!
2. Easy Muffin- takes you on a journey into trip-hop!
3. Yasawas- an ambient groove that Tobin masters very well!
4. Creatures- OK, this song is creepy, but in a good way!
5. Chomp Samba- this song is creepy, too, and full of octane!
6. The New York Editor- cute lil' stroll along number! Love it!
7. Defocus- inspired weirdness!
8. The Nasty- is just that..."nasty!"
9. Bitter & Twisted- OMIGOD!!! THE BEST SONG ON HERE!!!! Dig the bass line!
10. Wires & Snakes- OMIGOD!!! THE 2ND BEST SONG ON HERE!!
11. One Day In My Garden- Is that Bossa Nova I hear, mixed with D&B?
12. Dream Sequence- They're baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13. One Small Step- experimental genius!
14. Mission- High Voltage finale!!!
I don't think there's a song on "Bricolage" that I skip, because I usually can "feel" them all! Amon Tobin is a genius, right up there with the likes of Matthew Herbert, Boards of Canada and Mr. Scruff as far as mastering styles of music as if he was the originator. I also bought "Supermodified", and heard "Permutation" and his most recent release is pretty good--both of which I shall get, no doubt! I'm glad I got hip to Tobin--the guy is really the SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Godly, Oct. 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
that's all I have to say, this is my favourite CD ever, after Endtroducing. Best mix of Jazz and D 'n' B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comparable to Supermodified., March 30 2003
Skyscraper (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
I bought Bricolage and Supermodified together, after downloading a few of Amon Tobin's songs. They both have extremely similar track layouts, that is, they start out with about 4 really solid songs, then they become generously more abstract, and then turn slightly more solid again. Personally, I adore the first four tracks on both, but that's not to say that the rest of the album isn't good. I'd compare Amon Tobin's more abstract songs with something like Nobukazu Takemura or Melodie, though maybe not THAT abstract...
If you've heard Supermodified but not Bricolage, Bricolage is similar but with darker undertones. Both are stunning works, resulting in my now considering Amon Tobin one of my favourite techno artists of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sample jazz Bass, Oct. 13 2002
Chad A Meyers (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
If you dig sampling, you must have this cd. He broke ground with song: "one small step", just an amazing cd overall

3.0 out of 5 stars Gems in the sand, Jan. 19 2002
C. G. Brown "cgbrown" (Atlanta, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
The gems on this album are "Chomp Samba", a tripped-out electronic ride through Carnival, and "One Day In My Garden", a bossa-nova, d'n'b fusion that hints at things to come in Permutation. I like "One Small Step" as well. The rest of the album, while decent, doesn't have anything that stands out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amon Tobin is awesome!, Aug. 2 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
I had first heard of my now favorite artist from a movie that i saw. It was Menikmati, a skateboarding movie from eS, and i had to know about the music tracks. I looked them up, and two of them were "Sultan Drops" (from Permutation) and "Slowly" (from Supermodified). I immediately ran out to the store and bought whatever of his i could find, and was not disappointed! he is absolutely the most talented artist I've ever heard of, mostly because every track is different. On Bricolage, "Stoney Street" and "The New York Editor" are jazz, "Easy Muffin" and "Yasawas" are smooth mellow techno, "Chomp Samba" is drum 'n' bass, and there are many more styles i can't think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paragon of electronic/Jazz fusion, July 31 2001
Kenan M Banks (Reston, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
Amon Tobin has managed to create - in what I hear is an entirely electronic recording enviroment - a very engrossing, soulful album. 'Soulful' is the key word in the preceding sentence, because it is exactly the quality that most electronic albums tend to lack. Some of the best bass lines and ambient noises (for lack of a better term) I have ever heard. Pick it up..

4.0 out of 5 stars lovin' it!, June 17 2001
Thebes (Southeastern, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
I was in a coffee house a while back listening to all this mind blowing music in the background. There were so many variations from one tune to the next. One song was like a haunted, latin drum and bass carnival (chomp samba, my fav)while another tune was so smooth and minimal. I finally had to ask the the guy behind the counter if he was playing a compilation from his personal collection. When he told me it was Amon Tobin I had to get it. I took this cd on a road trip and played it practically nonstop while driving. It was excellent! There are so many styles and influences - all relative on one cd by one artist. Jazz, acid jazz, bossa nova, drum n' bass. This guy is talented. #14 (mission) has got to be one of the most innovative tunes I have heard in a long time (hideouskinky!). Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good..but you have to get used to it., Feb. 27 2001
shardul shah (Birmingham, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bricolage (Audio CD)
supermodified was one of the best albums i ever baught and when i found this one at the local record store i picked it up instantly and popped it into the cd player in my car on the ride home. The first song really impressed me. Tobin seemed to have given up his typical drill style. "Stoney Street" is a excillent well peoduced acid jazz track. "Easy Muffin" is a masterpiece. but then the CD took an unuasal turn and the songs became so intense and fast that I was a little trown aback. Many artists today make good drill and base music (Squarepusher, Clifford Gilberto et all) and i love them for it. But here I feel Tobin got slightly more carried away then he needed to. Hadrcore tobin fans will thrive on this one but first timers should be slightly aware this is not is best work..most optimisticly i can state its avrage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bricolage
Bricolage by Amon Tobin (Audio CD - 1997)