5.0 out of 5 stars Aqua pure gold
Published on June 30 2004 by The Discerning Palette

3.0 out of 5 stars Novelty CD
Only one song on this CD became a hit: BARBIE GIRL. The song is a great satire on the Mattel doll that has been the object of criticism for decades. The other songs on the disc are kitschy and bubble gum pop. Nothing that really stands out. If you can find the BARBIE GIRL single, that should suffice.
Published on June 14 2004 by Mr. Wynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Aqua pure gold, June 30 2004
The Discerning Palette "tf8865" (Santa Barbara, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
Aquarium might sadly be a one-hit wonder for Aqua, but what a hit it is! It has a variety of good music, although I must say it is great for getting started into the dance-electronica scene. Lene's beautiful voice and Rene Dif's deep interjections really contribute a lot to their songs. If you pick your ear up, you can also hear a nice blend of sounds that make their music complex, or polyphonic. A lot of music of this genre falls into the trap of simplicity wrapped around a repeating drum loop, but not Aqua! Even their slow stuff is good. Very upbeat, happy, and cheerful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly but fun to listen to, June 16 2004
Erica Anderson (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
I have to admit I caught the "Barbie Girl" fever when the song was a huge hit back in '97. That was when I was a big fan of hi-nrg dance music. I listenined to "Aquarium" day in and day out. I think I annoyed the living daylights out of at least one of my roommates in college with the highly addictive pop album. As I am listening to the album for the first time in a few years, I can't help myself enjoy the irresistably infectious pop melodies. The only thing that has changed is my tolerance for Lene's helium-pitched vocals. Her vocals can be rather annoying but I can't imagine someone like caterwauler Celine Dion singing this type of dance-pop music. Another flaw with the album is the ballads are so syrupy and indigestable to my ears. I have to skip them. I prefer the more upbeat songs like "Doctor Jones" and "Lollipop (Candyman)", my two favorite Aqua songs on the cd. "Doctor Jones" and "Lollipop (Candyman)" are so addictively catchy, I never got tired of those songs. I still haven't after all this time I have gone so long without listening to this album. Unfortunately I had my fill of "Barbie Girl". That song got played into the ground just like that obnoxious "Macarena" (worst song ever). Although I am not a fan of this type of music anymore, Aqua put out some of the catchiest music known to mankind. You either liked it or you did. I rank "Aquarium" as one of my biggest guilty pleasures next to some of Cher's dance music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun atleast for a while, March 19 2004
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
I remember when this album came out very well. It was very popular and catchy. Aqua started a brand new genre which they called dance-pop. They used dance sound, meliodic songs, a catchy hooks/lyrics. Lene the girl had this high girlish voice and Rene was the rapper with a very deep voice. A perfect match for duets. Lyrics like "Im a barbie girl in a barbie world, life is plastic it's fantastic" were funny, i heard a 5 year old girl singing that song some days ago and hence she was not even born in 97 but know the lyrics anyway. Aqua's videos were also a blast, they were like cartoon heroes( they later made a song named like that) It was a project that couldn't fail. "Barbue girl" became a smash all over Europe and "Doctor Jones" "Why oh why" and " Lollipop" were simular songs and simular videos. "Red Roses" was their first single however, i don't remember the video but the song became a club hit. Most songs sount the same except for "Turn back time" a song that later appeared in a movie, it was a ballad. After a while they lost their charm abit, their second album was not bad but not as fun as the first either. For some years In the late 90's it was almost a Aqua hystery, they were huge and you could find dozens of aqua wannabee's with simular sound like Daze, Hit and Hide and Toybox. Now i hear neither. Lene however started a solo career that didn't work out. Don't know if there will be any more aqua albums but this one was original and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, July 8 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
I love this CD, even though it's considered really old now. I used to listen to that stuff when i was only4 yrs old, and me and my friends made a dance routine. Brings back memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, June 28 2004
"bconger2" (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
I have a job where I listen to music all day while I work. This is by far one of the best CDs that we have to listen to. I like all kinds of music and this is a catchy album that you will listen to again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice music !, Jan. 16 2004
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
This album is very nice !!! It's one of the best eurodance/bubblegum albums I have heard. Tracks like "Barbie Girl", "Dr. Jones", "Lollypop", "Calling You" are just amazing. Other eurodance/bubblegum tracks "Happy Boys & Girls", "My Oh My" and "Roses Are Red" are also nice. "Heat Of The Night" is not euro, but is nice !!! The 3 others are quite good too. But I only give 4 stars because those horrible high pitched voices are soooooooooo annoying !!!! This bad point really disappointed me, because the music is amazing !!!! If you don't like high pitched voices, you might listen before buying, and if you don't like this, then I recommend you Daze's album "Super Heroes". But if the voices don't disturb you IMMEDIATLY GET THIS CD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 29 2004
Rose Jones (Westborough,MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best cd of the late 90's. It is full of great fast songs and beatiful slow songs. My faovorites are Turn back time and be a man those songs are wonderful. I think you should buy it if you want to have a good time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat, Nov. 21 2003
Amazon Customer (Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
This whole CD is very upbeat and poppy. It is great for dancing or working out. There is a lot of sexual themes (what music doesn't have that anymore), but there are very obvious, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone under 13-14 years old...just my opinion.
Barbie Girl...the song that got a lot of radio play in my area. After a while, I didn't like listening to this song, so I decided to explore the rest of the CD.
Be A Man..."for once in your life, be a man." How many times have you hear that?
Lollipop...this is one of my favorite songs on the album. It is just really upbeat.
This is a great album to have for a disco party of the new millenium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Candy! Awesome IMPORT with BONUS Tracks!, Aug. 30 2003
Michael Mathena "Michael Mathena" (Valley City, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
Brought to you by the group that delivered "I'm A Barbie Girl" years ago (the snappy tune never left the back of our ears!). This CD contains several BONUS tracks not found on the original album. The "Special Christmas Edition" Import is like a Christmas present that lasts for as long as your boogie shoes!
Along with the radio versions of the hits "Barbie Doll" and "Lollipop", there are extended dance mixes as well as an 11+ minute MEGAMIX. Dance Club CDs don't get better than this. ONE BIG PARTY CD!!! Highly recommended!*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Aquarium, June 16 2004
B. Viberg "Alex Rodriguez" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquarium (Audio CD)
Aquarium~ Aqua is a funny and silly album. Barbie girl is a classic tune , lollipop and roses are red are two other good tunes. I like, I love it, put it on and dance.

Aquarium
Aquarium by Aqua (Audio CD - 1997)