5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good
This cd is rally about 4.5 stars but I think i's worth 5 stars. To begin with I don't know why people don't like this album. As long as I have liked Maiden I have liked this album. I think most of the songs are really good, Tail gunner,Fates warning, Holysmoke, No prayer for the dying, Public enema number one and Bring your doughter... are the best songs but the others...
Published on June 7 2004 by Johnny Danell

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just that. OK.
Not a great offering from this stellar band. There were some definite signs of fatigue after spending the 80's building up an enormous international fan base. The songs aren't bad they're just not great. There are 2 maybe 3 standout tracks. The lead in "Tailgunner" is a great kick off but we've been over the subject matter before (in a roundabout way) in the form...
Published 12 months ago by Sir Steven

5.0 out of 5 stars Most underrated Maiden album ever, July 2 2004
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
This was my first metal album, and i'm really glad it was. I think No Prayer for the Dying is a collection of the most underrated Maiden songs ever. Great songs like "Tailgunner", "No Prayer for the Dying", "Run Silent, Run Deep" and especially "Mother Russia" are severely underrated gems. "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is the only song on NPftD that everyone seems to like, excellent song with a great chant-a-long part in the middle. I didn't like all the songs on this album first when i got this years ago. I thought "Public Enema Number One", "Fates Warning" and "The Assassin" were boring, and i almost hated "Holy Smoke" and "Hooks in You". I'm glad that these days i can fully enjoy those songs.
Great and horribly underrated album with lots of great riffs, drumming and choruses. I suggest everyone gives this album another listen, it deserves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars why the hate... RULES, April 29 2004
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Ok, I have no clue why No Prayer For The Dying has bad ratings... its amazing! As is every album from Maiden! My favorite track is the title track... No Prayer For The Dying, nice smooth, soft, melodical stuff. then Public Enema #1 is also great. Awesome solo stuff. Run Silent, Run Deep is very well put together, great transitions. Then, Hooks In You, some great heavy stuff, change of pace, softer stuff, great tune. Then Bring Your Daughter to the slaughter is very creepy, and awesome! Mother Russia has an awesome drum beat... very good song. Overall, amazing album!

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTHY OF YOUR CD COLLECTION., Oct. 21 2003
Edgar Sanchez (los angeles, california United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
I dont get why this album has gotten alot of negative reviews because it plainly kicks ass.Most of the songs are excellent with one or two which are mediocre.The only songs which I cant get into are the assassins and run silent run deep.Although I wouldnt go as far as to say that this album is a masterpiece,it's however very good.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND UP THE IRONS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do people hate this album???, Oct. 15 2003
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Everyone seems to hate this album...Why? I think it is one of the best!
Most people think that Janick Gers is not as good as Adrian Smith, but still Janick is good enough. He had pretty catchy solos in "Holy Smoke" and "Bring your Daughter...to the Slaughter".
"Tail gunner", "Holy Smoke", "Bring your Daughter...to the slaughter", "Mother Russia", "Run silent run deep", "Hooks in you" and "No prayer for the dying" are excellent tracks. The rest ain't THAT good, but they still are very listenable.
A true Maiden fan should love this album...

2.0 out of 5 stars Pray for this dying band...., Sept. 30 2003
e5150 (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
I did give this album a chance...I really did, but there was a musical vacancy in the band that could not be filled. The guitarist position was filled (*ahem*), but the musical vacancy was not.
I just didn't "feel" it this time. You know, that spark that hits you when a really inspired piece of metal hits your ears.
I think that Bruce was doing his humor book "Iffy Boatrace" about this time period, and transferred some of that humor into his lyrics here. Some folks don't seem to recognize the tongue-in-cheek nature of 'Holy Smoke', but I think the hammy video they made for this explains their point: not to be taken seriously. 'Tailgunner' did absolutely nothing for me....'The Assassin'...ugh....'Bring Your Daughter' has more of Bruce's perverted humor, but 'Hooks in You' is a great rockin ditty with some S & M lyrics, and pretty much has the most energy out of any of the other songs. 'Run Silent Run Deep' is probably the best song on offer here, though. And 'Mother Russia', Comrade Harris's tribute to Communism or Marxist philosophy or whatever it is, has some dramatic music, but he did it better in 'To Tame a Land'. Davey shines on his solos for 'Holy Smoke' and 'Public Enema', I must say.
I just wasn't catching a vibe from this music, but I honestly tried. There are a few good moments, but not enough for me to keep this in my collection. As a HARDCORE fan of their heavier, pre-synth days, even the lack of synthesizers on here didn't warm me up to it enough. I'd rather have synthesizers and a melodic guitar player than no synthesizers and some noisy wannabe. The absence of Adrian's melodic riffs and solos is painfully palpable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really bad.. Beginning of decline, Aug. 25 2003
M. Fonseca "carmarthen" (Thunder) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Sensing the band had gone much too far towards a "progressive" direction, Steve Harris decided to go back to a raw sound. Ok. Adrian Smith left the band before recording began.
His replacement was one of those mysterious choices that will make you guess forever... Janick Gers. A guy who simply can't play a guitar solo with the same skill as Dave Murray, Adrian Smith or dozens of other British guitarrists (check the "butchering" that Janick does when playing Adrian's solos, live. Unbeliavable. He spends so much time jumping and kneeling and spinning that he simply don't play them!)
Anyway, NO PRAYER has a raw sound. So far so good, but there was no necessity to use such a lousy production, with a garage sound, adn stupid songs like HOLY SMOKE and BRING YOUR DAUGHTER. There are some gems here (HOOKS IN YOU still has Adrian on the credits), and TAILGUNNER. But even the great songs were ruined by the weak production and some of them by bad soloing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, Aug. 23 2003
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Iron Maiden had released five excellent albums with lead vocalist Bruce Dickinson, four of which featured the band's classic line-up. In 1990, Dickinson even released a solo album as a side project. Unfortunately, with his eyes on a potential solo career, Dickinson's focus on his Maiden work began to slide. Also, guitarist Adrian Smith had left the band, and was replaced by ex-White Spirit and Gillan guitarist Janick Gers. The band's progressive/creative era was over. These things aside, the band released its eighth studio album, No Prayer For The Dying, in 1990. Read on to see how it measures up, and for my comments on the remastering.
Tailgunner - The opener is a typical Maiden rocker, which deals with Dickinson's favorite musical theme - World War II air combat. Good track.
Holy Smoke - What's everyone's problem with this song? Sure, it's not the best thing the band has ever done, but it isn't bad either.
No Prayer for the Dying - The title track is pretty good. It's not exactly a stand-out track, but it's still worthwhile listening.
Public Enema Number One - That title is NOT a typo. I'm not sure what the title has to do with the song, but that doesn't subtract from the overall quality of the song.
Fate's Warning - An often overlooked track, the chorus of this one is just priceless. Listen and see what I mean.
The Assassin - Another good track, this one does accomplish anything extraordinary, but it's still excellent. The chorus is very good.
Run Silent Run Deep - BY FAR THE BEST SONG ON THIS ALBUM. Dickinson's vocals are top-notch, as is the playing by the rest of the band. DO NOT SKIP THIS TRACK!
Hooks in You - Part Three in the Charlotte The Harlot series. This isn't a bad track, but it helps to establish a point - ONE Charlotte track was enough.
Bring Your Daughter... To the Slaughter - This hard rocker is the closest thing you'll ever hear Maiden do to a "fun" track. It sounds like a cross between Can I Play With Madness and Problems (by the Sex Pistols.) This was the band's first number one single in their native U.K.
Mother Russia - Cold War-themed rock songs never really caught on, but here Maiden tries their hand at one, and succeeds beautifully. This is what I call an underrated masterpiece.
This remaster series is, sadly, very disappointing. The enhanced CD footage is nice, but the sound quality isn't improved too much over the original. Likewise, there aren't any audio bonus tracks, and this album could've used some. But my biggest complant about this individual remaster is the cover - IT'S BEEN EDITED! On the original cover, Eddie was strangling a grave robber, but here he's just grabbing air! Yeah, right.
It's a shame this album goes unappreciated. Even though it's obviously the weakest album with Dickinson, it's still quite good. However, it's not a good album to start with, and is, therefore, recommended only to true fans of the band.
Oh, and one other thing - Janick Gers is a good guitarist, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't deserve to live.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hated it, then I loved it!, Aug. 6 2003
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Well I loved all of the Iron Maiden stuff I heard before I bought this album, I could safely call myself a devoted fan. I heard this was supposedly one of thier really not so good albums. I'm one to give a great band a chance, so I bought it. The first couple spins I gave this album, I REALLY tried to like it and I just thought it was very bland and unenjoyable. I was ready to sell the thing, until it started to grow on me a little. Then it grew on me a lot, and I play this at least once every day. I can't get enough of it. My favorite track is the ultra catchy "Hooks In You" with the title track coming in second place. The only tracks that after so long have not caught on to me, and I still find to be not that great at all are "The Assassin" and "Run Silent Run Deep". So if you love Maiden's other stuff, give this one a chance!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hooks in Me, Hook in You, April 1 2003
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
Iron Maiden's eighth studio album in 1990 is a huge decline. There's some good but there's some bad.
1. Tailgunner - a good, fast song, a great chorus 4.5/5
2. Holy Smoke - a great track, the first single has great lyrics how the religion is used to make money. 4.5/5
3. No Prayer for the Dying - more peaceful track but great lyrics, a very sad track. 4.5/5
4. Public Enema Number One - a good song but basic Iron Maiden style. 3.5/5
5. Fates Warning - not so good 2/5
6. The Assassin - most of time song is boring but the chorus is creepy. 2.5/5
7. Run Silent Run Deep - a good song lyrically but musically not so great. 3/5
8. Hooks in You - the worst song of the album, a terrible boring chorus. 1.25/5
9. Bring Your Daughter...To the Slaughter - the second single is made by Bruce Dickinson alone. Great lyrics, tells about girls... 4.75/5
10. Mother Russia - maybe a little bit too boring but the lyrics are fantastic!!! 3.25/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Why all the hate?, March 24 2003
J. Wesley Townsend "westknife" (new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Prayer for the Dying (Audio CD)
I've noticed a lot of people badmouthing this album, but I think it is GREAT! What is everybody's problem? The only thing a little different about this album from other Maiden albums is that it is more raw and direct. The songs are shorter (most are between 4 and 5 minutes long), and there is very little presence of synths or layered tracks. The other thing that people complain about is the replacement of guitarist Adrian Smith by Janick Gers.
However, despite what you may hear, this is a great set of 10 songs! If I had to, I would pay the price of the whole album just for "Tailgunner." It is my favorite song on the album, and from its opening riffs, it is entrancing. The two singles are "Holy Smoke" and "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter." They are also very good; they have a tongue-in-cheek humor that is rarely present in Iron Maiden's music. These, and the others of this great album, rock in a straightforward fashion.
That is not to say that there are no classic-sounding masterpieces! The title song is brilliant, and the main riff is one of Maiden's best ever. "Run Silent Run Deep" and "Mother Russia" are two more of my favorites.
So what's this about Janick Gers being so terrible! I think he is great, and honestly, he's not as good as Adrian Smith, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guitarist. The only real fault that I can find in this record is in "The Assassin." This is a great song, until the chorus comes along. I will admit, the chorus is rather flat. But the rest of the song is brilliant!
It saddens me that so many Maiden fans will dis this album so terribly. It is great. Take it from a REAL Iron Maiden fan.

ARRAY(0xaa1dabdc)

No Prayer for the Dying
No Prayer for the Dying by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 2013)