5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful soundtrack
Loved it as a kid, love it now and it helps me sleep! Unfortunately it took a whole damned month to get to me, but damn was the wait worth it.
Published 1 month ago by jonathan

2.0 out of 5 stars Where have the melodies gone?
Published on July 19 2004 by Fernie Canto

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful soundtrack, June 12 2014
This review is from: Songs Of Distant Earth (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion his best album, June 2 2012
This review is from: Songs of Distant Earth (Audio CD)
To begin with I could say I'm a fan of the enigmatic Mike Oldfield probably in part because of that, and also because of the more accessible music he write since 1980... Personally I see him as "enigmatic" because I'm always learning something new about him or the peoples around him... However I'm not sure at all that everybody always appreciate his work at it's just value... I've read his autobiography "Changeling" who had been released in 2007 but I don't remember much of it since I wasn't feeling well at the time; but I remember that he comment about his experimentation with various drugs like hashish, LSD and cannabis as a young adult... For him it created "a world where Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds made perfect sense" and "gave notes another sense"... He doesn't say it bluntly, but his album "Tubular Bells" have been written during these drugs-filled times, and he recall "never been the same afterward"... Personally I never liked "Tubular Bells" or much of the "progressive" music he was writing in the 70s, but I still bought the re-recorded DTS 5.1 version figuring it might be better, I still believe it is extremely overrated... In my opinion the only excellent or entertaining part on that album is the last 1:30Min, who are his take of the classic "Sailor's Hornpipe"... Regarding his good music, with his collaboration with singer Maggie Reilly at the beginning of the 80s and under the pressure of Virgin Music owner Richard Branson who wanted him to make more popular things his style have somewhat changed, it's more accessible, even if there's almost always a few really mysterious songs on each albums... Personally I'm steadily buying all his albums since then one by one, pretty much everything is worth having, but "The Songs of Distant Earth" is definitely among his best and is in my opinion really underrated... Whatever opinion peoples have of the weirdo Arthur C. Clarke, the writer of the book who inspired this music, it's definitely among Mike Oldfield's best work... I believe that this is the album to try if someone want to get a taste of Mike Oldfield's "electronic" music and NOT the highly questionnable instrumental "Tubular Bells"; the person who like this one is probably going to like every other 80s and 90s albums...

2.0 out of 5 stars Where have the melodies gone?, July 19 2004
Is he trying to become Brian Eno or what? If it's space music you want, stick to "Apolo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks" and you'll be fine. This stuff sounds pompous, self-righteous and grandiose, but the musicwriting is ridiculously weak. The vocal samples, the "hi-tech" synths and effects are all gimmicks, throw there to conceal the absolute lack of melodies and musical ideas. Really, it tries to show more than it has. It's a void, insubstantial piece of fluff. And Mike's guitar playing sounds uninspired and dull, as if he's absolutely sure that everything and anything he plays will necessarily be utter genius. I've never heard such a disappointing album in my life. If he wanted to create atmospheres, he should go back and listen to Hergest Ridge, not the latest Enigma albums and try to do a cheap copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poo-Poo on the Naysayers..., Feb. 15 2005
B. W. Wilson "Rocker since birth" (Boylston,Nova Scotia,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs of Distant Earth (Audio CD)
Make no mistake folks..this is a truly beautiful album from the first notes to the last Sri Lankin chanting. I have been an Oldfield fan for years and was very pleased with this when I first bought it when it came out. If I had to take only 5 of his albums to the proverbial desert island, this would be one of them. The other four? Crises. Incantations. Voyager. and of course, Tubular Bells (but the 2003 version).
This is grand music that only Oldfield could create. I say go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just When You Think It Was Safe To Come Out Of The Water.,.., May 19 2004
John S. Bantner (Omaha, NE) - See all my reviews
First there were the Tubular Bells series...then this comes along.
This masterpiece has so much going for it that comparisons to Mike Oldfield's other works just pale in comparison. That being said, it makes it an instant classic.
Distant thunder rolls and off we go to a ride that no one has ever been on before. This is truly a masterpiece of sound and texture and Mike Oldfield proves once again it's not his prowess at manipulating musical tones on his instruments....but that he literally can control his musical genius and point directly at you with the command of a bullet.
I found certain parts of this piece truly breathtaking. Even more fantastic, you don't have to listen to any else he has ever done to really appreciate the depth and beauty which this offers. Again, a masterpiece...dont' miss out

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldfield's best from the 90's, May 1 2008
Matthew West "progjam" (Atlantic Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs of Distant Earth (Audio CD)
Songs of Distant Earth is an incredible musical interpretation of the Arthur C. Clarke story of the same name. Oldfield tells the story in a musical suite that include uplifting chords, world beats, gorgeous guitar work, and otherworldly synthesizers.

Every time I play this CD I feel a sense of hope for the future and a love of my home planet, Earth. Oldfield taps into something primitive--that glorious feeling of climbing a mountain or turning a corner and seeing a fabulous vista, or sailing on the sea with dolphins and rays skimming the water beside your boat.

I have been an Oldfield fan for a long time and own many of his albums. This is by far my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close your eyes and fade away, May 18 2004
John Candy (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This is one of three Oldfield cds that get five stars from me, the other two being Tubular bells II and Amarok. All three are brilliant, and what's most fascinating about Mike Oldfield is not only has he written and orchestarted the music, but he is capable of playing all of the instruments, too. And he plays them well. He has truly blessed his fans. The first time I listened to "Songs of Distant Earth" I closed my eyes and imagined I was traveling all over the planet, I was there grooving with the natives. When I finished, I felt that I had truly had a spiritual experience. It's almost like Mike does the drugs for you, you don't need to smoke anything, or take any funny pills, you WILL have an experience unlike any other with "Songs of Distant Earth." This one is my personal favorite from Oldfield and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Edition !!!, Jan. 30 2004
mikki (Bucharest, ROMANIA) - See all my reviews
In my opinion, this is the best album Mike ever created. For Oldfield's enthusiasts, is good to know that it was first time released in 1994 by WEA (Warner Music UK Ltd.). I own this edition (from Germany) and the traks are the same, but the cover is a little bit different. I also heard about a hybrid (data & music) version, but I never find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful work, Jan. 7 2004
Tamarleigh Lippegrenfell (Boston) - See all my reviews
I can listen to this over and over and have shared it with friends and family since I first heard it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The book upon which it was based is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it says Mike Oldfield on the label, buy it., Oct. 1 2003
M. Toney "SAP Security Geek" (Western NY USA) - See all my reviews
An immensely talented musician, Mike Oldfield could arrange just about any composition from plainchant to hiphop (well, maybe not THAT extreme) and make it his own. It's music that will be played and played and played. Thank goodness for CDs that don't wear out.
By the way, The Songs of Distant Earth is the title of a story by Arthur C. Clarke, hence the science fictional coloring of this collection from Oldfield.

Songs of Distant Earth
Songs of Distant Earth by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 1995)