5.0 out of 5 stars Good Music Never Gets Old
Published on June 10 2004 by Danielle M. Carpenter

2.0 out of 5 stars Haphazard work.
I've adored this band since their first release. And this release does have it's moments. All in all, however, much of it sounds like they were writing while the tapes rolled and it sounds unrehearsed. Especially the vocals. If it were marketed as a live recording or rare basement recordings, I could let it slide but as a major release, the craftsmanship is haphazard...
Published on July 21 2000 by Long Time Chameleons Fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Music Never Gets Old, June 10 2004
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
I don't know why Strange Times gets a "not quite as good as" Script of the Bridge review by most fans. It is in it's own right a great album. The great thing about the Chameleons is that they really do have a timeless sound. They are by far my favorite band of the 80's and while most of my old punk records sit around collecting dust a Chameleons CD always seems to find it's way into my CD player. Like every album you have had for years and over played you take breaks but the Chameleons always make it back into my favorite pile while other bands are quickly forgotten. Mad Jack, Caution, Tears, and their version of John I'm Only Dancing are my favorite tracks from this album while Swamp Thing is one of my all time favorite Chameleons songs for it's subtle layers of sound, fluid changes, and reflective lyrics. Souls in Isolation could be one of their most haunting/depressing tracks of all time. But the album is as solid and satisfying to the listener as any of their other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Times Is The Chameleons Best Release To Date, May 9 2004
jokeypo1963 "jokeypo1963" (Saint Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
If there was a should have been year in the Chameleons UK history, 1986 would clearly be it when this album was first released. Strange Times demonstrates that on every track, practically in every note!
I would like to state that if you purchase this on CD Now, then it is a bargain indeed. I had purchased this a few years ago & paid a lot more. I had to place this on special order, years before the internet. I can't even tell you how many times I have played this outstanding, superb album. It is sad that Chameleons UK does not get the credit that they clearly deserve.
Every release that they came out with is first class. However,
if I had to make a choice on the Chameleons UK best release to date, then it would be Strange Times.
Strange Times is not for your average listener. If you are looking for fluff, then you come to the wrong place.
This is for the consumer who appreciates music with class & substance. From start to finish, there is not one bad song.
The tracks flows through one right after the other. Even the bonus tracks are worth listening to.
I rate this album one of my personal favorites of all time.
Please buy this now & you will see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Did I Miss This?, Oct. 30 2003
KC "elmozzer1" (la habra, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
Great CD!!! I can't believe this came out in the 80's. This is better than %90 percent of the music out there right now. All of the Chameleons CD's are great. This is the first one I bought so I'm kind of partial to it. Stand outs include: Swamp Thing, Tears, The End of Time, and Paradiso. The chorus on Paradiso is absoletly amazing, I listened to that song alone at least 10 times the first time I played the cd. Check it out!!! Also, if you are into Interpol, you will love this band. Interpol based a lot of their guitar stylings and song structures on this band. Good stuff, check it out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album is Paradiso, Sept. 1 2003
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
This was the album that actually introduced me to the Chams. It's not their best, Script of the Bridge was their masterpiece, but this album and "What does it mean basically?" were so close, so close to perfection as well, it's just too close to call.
These guys were amazing. The reason they never made it big was simply this: they were too good. Just too good, too profound. Think about it: ARTISTS ARE NEVER APPRECIATED IN THEIR TIME. 50 or 100 years from now, the Chameleons will be recognized finally. I am telling you guys: just as sure as Herman Melville and Edgar Allen Poe and F. Scott Fitzgerald and Joy Division were only truly appreciated after they were dead, likewise, so will the stunning originality of the Chameleons. "Paradiso" is the first song I ever heard by these guys; I heard it on KXLU, a college station in Los Angeles. I heard it twice in two days, I was hooked, and my life was changed ever since. "Swamp Thing" is so unconventionally good it's disgusting. What a brilliant song. These guys were meant to be Kings in some parallel dimension; here they are only guys in moribund band with a huge cult following.

5.0 out of 5 stars The road less traveled, May 15 2003
Latvietis (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
Mad Jack? Two versions of Tears? Swamp Thing?
My friend Erik said it best, when he said: Du-ijsh!!!
Not intended for the emotionally bereft...This is one of the finest albums you'll ever enjoy, if you're willing to give it a chance. Once you realize how clever and moody the tunes are, you feel as if you are privy to a well-kept secret. The music does not hold mass appeal, because it was not engineered to meet the boring standards upheld by today's music industry.
The guitars sound like they are being played by two men, at the opposite ends of a canyon's echo, in complete unison (it's hard to describe). The lead singer's voice has an odd, distinct character that fits well in the context of the lyrics. I kind of get an "on-the-verge-of-creepy" vibe from the Chameleons, that I also get from Lynch/Kubrick films. Most everyone I've known who's given this record a chance, will attest to the inherent sweetness of Strange Times. Mullethead rockers, ambient spaced-out stoners, pop nerd hook-junkies and weasels from the neutral zone: FREE YOUR MIND

5.0 out of 5 stars A Longtime Favorite, Jan. 4 2003
Liz (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare albums that no matter how much my musical tastes change, I still enjoy. It's a shame that The Chameleons didn't get the attention they deserved back when this was released. I believe Strange Times might be the best Chameleons LP for a neophyte, though there's really so much out there you'll have to try around to find what suits you - but it's all very much worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange & Beautiful, Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
I can't say enough about this album. It's got a signature guitar sound, 80's sound production, unique vocals, dark lyrics. It's a very memorable recording from start to finish. I remember 5 years ago when I thought it was a terrible shame that this classic wasn't available on CD. Now that it's available for you to enjoy, I strongly recommend you give it a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hear The Thunder In Your Brain, July 20 2002
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
I bought this album a number of years ago on Import [].
To think some lucky bastard will get it for less than []!
I bought it because they were from Manchester and they were frequently mentioned alongside great bands of the time like Joy Division, Echo, The Smiths and even U2.
This album for me is the sound of my suburban adolescence as much as Joy Division, Descendents' "Milo Goes To College" or Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream."
This was one of the greatest post punk bands coming back for a third album in 1986, I believe, and they filled the thing to the brim with atmospheric guitar songs about childhood, and any number of universal every day ruminations. Some people think they tried too hard to be profound, but that sentiment is really a relic of the time it came out with many similar groups around- I had the fortune to hear it removed from it's original time and place, in the late 90s when really no band sounded like this. And I found it truly moving, and I don't say that too easily, believe it or not. This is a very unique and special album.
Swamp Thing is a highlight, yes, so is the great post-punk pop/rock of Mad Jack, the sing-a-long Childhood, Tears, Soul In Isolation, Seriocity, In Answer...I better stop, I'll end up naming every track.
For my money, this is pretty much the best the Chameleons ever got. That may be because I prefer the sentimental, poignant aspects of the music most.
If you've got everything by The Smiths, if you like post-punk music, atmospheric, guitar song oriented music of the 80s...whatever...BUY THIS ALBUM.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fullcrum loves Chameleons :), April 13 2002
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
This CD is very good, not great though. Swamp thing, Tears and Mad Jack did make it to boston radio way back when (WFNX radio) no one heard of the chameleons. To this day I ask ppl if they heard Chameleons music, thier response is "WHO", no, chameleons U.K............Anyway, this is a nice CD, third release for the U.K. If you have other Chameleons CDs then get this one to round out your collection. If this is your first taste then go for Scripts of the Bridge first then once your hooked get this one, oh heck, get all thier music...............TELL A FRIEND!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hated it, now I love it., March 13 2002
This review is from: Strange Times (Audio CD)
Of all the albums I've purchased in the past, this was one of the hardest to get into. I was initially disappointed, since it sounded so much different than their previous two releases. After the first listen to two, I was uninterested and just shoved it on my cd rack, but nearly a year later, I decided to give it another try, and it just clicked for me. It's not an easy album to listen to, especially if you got into their earlier material a lot, but I found it even more rewarding after so many listens. Now, Script of the Bridge sounds so plain in comparison (but still a fantastic album), and this has become one of my favorites. The fact that it's on a major label does nothing to make the music more commercial, and in fact the higher production values make it thicker, full, and more atmospheric, making it a bit of a journey to listen to. My favorites are the ode to heroin Mad Jack, the ballad Tears (a tribute to a dead friend), Soul in Isolation (amazing drums), the obvious Swamp Thing, and the bittersweet Seriocity.
Again, it's not easy to love, and not for everybody, but if you can get into this album, it's a higly rewarding experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x108e8984)

Strange Times
Strange Times by Chameleons UK (Audio CD - 1993)