5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I just adore this LP. I love Drake and have all of his albums and enjoy them all, but this one tops the list. It's short on run time, a bit over 30 minutes, but worth every minute. Highlight recommend. Also, please buy it in Vinyl. It's meant to be heard in this way.
Published 3 months ago by NatalieJChampagne

3.0 out of 5 stars pink moon
easy listening, nothing to rave about, like the article i read, another retrospective ah well.
Published on Feb. 21 2010 by Christopher Bird

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Confirms his Status as one of the great songwriters, Feb. 20 2004
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
Although someone with a (admittedly large) cultist appeal, Nick Drake's music has never failed to enthral or inspire those that are willing to embrace his work. After suffering from two breathtaking beautiful, but commercially underperforming albums ("Five Leaves Left" / "Bryter Layter"), Nick retreated into himself and produced his darkest album yet. Alone with nothing except an acoustic guitar (and a piano accompaniment on several tracks) Nick sings his way through some of the most reflective, poignant & introspective work of his short career. And the brevity of each of the songs (most clocking in under 3 minutes) only exemplifies it's anguish & disenchantment, with Nick quietly strumming his guitar, and leaving his plaintive voice to exude emotion. For me this stark world that Nick inhabits is (for me) best exemplified by what I Consider a song of anguish, yet remains a truly, truly beautiful song. "Parasite" encompasses everything that was significant about Nick Drake and proved to be what was to be his fitting swan song (the retail poor performance of his previous albums caused Nick to fall into a psychically crippling bout of depression). And thus 'Pink Moon' was the final album release that Nick completed before his death, and remains one of the most emotionally stark albums ever created.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Moon, Feb. 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
I first heard Pink Moon, on that VW commerical, a few years later i decided to get the album. It's is quickly becoming one of favoites. Nick Drake is amazing. You can feel his depression through this album. Thought his songs are very depression, i still find myself listening on. I cant explain it. Its amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Drake sings songs and plays guitar on his final album, Jan. 17 2004
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
In the throes of a depression that would see him dead at the age of 26 from an overdose of anti-depression medication, Nick Drake still managed to produce his last album, "Pink Moon." Unlike his first two efforts, which consisted of orchestrated folk-pop music, this 1972 album was just Drake playing his acoustic guitar and singing (with a bit of piano here and there). The result is a bleak testament to melancholy and alienation that has a haunting and pristine beauty. There are only eleven songs, most of which are under three minutes in length, which is why the album is not even a half-hour long, but there is a sense in which anything longer would be too much to bear. "Pink Moon," by itself, justifies Drake's status as a cult figure among those who love folk-rock.
Ironically, you have probably hear Nick Drake's music before, because the title track was used for a Volkswaggen commercial, just another example of how music is perverted to commercial interests (what else is new?). I have been spending the cold winter putting together mixes of folk music (in the broadest sense) and making a concerted effort to get beyond Bob Dylan and the Byrds to explore the likes of Sandy Denny and the Beau Brummels. Checking out Sandy Denny led me to Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson, and eventually to Ralph McTell and Nick Drake. Now I can only wonder what rock I have been living under that I have never come across these artists before.
The title track is a beautiful folk ballad, performed with just Drake's superb acoustic guitar playing and haunting vocal. Throughout the album you notice the depth of his lyrics and his guitar playing. The latter might have been lost in an album with orchestration, but here you have the opportunity to listen to the openings of "Radio" and "Parasite" unadorned. For the former a choice example would be the opening of what is probably the best song on the album (it is hard to choose), "Which Will," which begins: "Which will you go for/Which will you love/Which will you choose from/From the stars above?" There is a simple elegance to the lyrics, captured by the vocals, and complimented by the more complex guitar playing.
Nick Drake only produced three albums, so there is no reason not to have all of them in your music library. These works represent the very best of the British folk-rock scene and Drake is a first rate singer-songwriter whose songs of failed romance, mortality, and depression are quite affective. Drake intended "Pink Moon" to be his final album, saying he had nothing left to record. When you lose yourself listening to these songs, you can actually convince yourself that this was true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Fast, Falling Free, Dec 10 2003
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
I flinch as I glance at the "related artists" category. All dead young men. While the music of Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, and Nick Drake are deservedly hailed posthumously, they are hardly related. Perhpas it is the mystery of their lives and deaths that lend a certain mystique to their work.
And it would be hard to listen to Pink Moon and not feel some of that vibe working through it. Pink Moon is one of the moodiest and subdued albums you could ever hear, but it is also one of the richest and most beautiful. For all intents and purposes, it is a solo album of just acoustic guitar and vocals. Yet being so stripped down instrumentally and emotionally naked, Drake is able to do more with this sparse setup than many have done with a wall of sound. Like the greates jazz recordings, Pink Moon is done with nothing more than the performer and the vibe in the room. What comes out is a piece of pure truth.
Drake's guitar lines borrow from classical melodies and folk stylings spliced with his experimental tunings, lending to the unique sound. His voice is high and soft at the same time, breathing the words across the deep tones of his guitar lines. The simplicity of the melodies provide the perfect carrier of Drakes lines of sadness; taking on a world that does not seem real, contemplating loneliness, happiness, love, and melancholy moods.
One cannot thank Drake enough for his gift, and one way to do that is to go out and discover those artists who still live and can still create their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Exquisite Pain of Nick Drake, Nov. 21 2003
"greenmother" (Cayucos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
What else to say? I found him accidentally and like all Love at First Sight stories, I laughed for him, I was angry for him (at the stupidity of record co's. and the like), I cried for him (at the stupidity and his premature death) and my heart ached for him (when he sings his hopes and own aches). I heard the " Pink Moon" single from a friend and instantly I went on a search for him. I read someone'e opinion about "Northern Sky" being the most beautiful song ever written and I was offended! Obsurd! Better than "Pink Moon"? Well, I had to find out what just what he was thinking so I downloaded "Nothern Sky" and listened to it a few times and I loved it! Now I had to have more, so I downloaded "Hazey Jane I", "Fly" and "Road" (as I usually dl a few songs before I buy music of any artist), then I just jumped in all the way - on the same day, I bought Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter, Pink Moon and Time Of No Reply (which has my favorite song called Mayfair, just so great that I have to replay it 3 or 4 times in a row!)His words and music just hurts so good. What talent! What musicianship! To be able to convey so much with so few words is just brilliant. My husband even likes Nick Drake and his style and that is saying alot-seriously. Just listening to his fingering style will send you off into a haze. Beautiful, cleansing, thoughtful, heartbreaking and hopeful - it is there in Pink Moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very wholesome, Oct. 25 2003
Matthew E. Johnson (Wallingford, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
I feel very pure when listening to this. The album is a journey from start to finish and is meant to be listened to in order...to feel the experience he's trying to invoke. At first I read into this album too much 'cause of the whole thing about his suicide and all that....I feel like this guy was rather young but intelligent. There's only one song with accompaniment, Pink Moon...has a piano that I think fits. I revisit this album on and off and like the subtlety and woodiness and purity of the songs. They don't hook me with the usual writer hooks. His voice reminds me of Donavan a bit and he's been compared to Van Morrison..but I think that it's only the time style of his stuff...the arrangement have simularity...but that's about it. It's a great album. I love it. (sorry about the randomness)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my "desert island discs", Oct. 16 2003
Chuck (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
With these stunning and sparse 11 songs (clocking in at a mere half hour), Nick Drake showed us that it really is all about the economy. Drake's "Pink Moon" is an exercise in doing the most with what you have. There's just an acoustic guitar, a single piano overdub (on the standout title track, which you may remember from a VW Cabriolet ad a few years ago), and a lone, lonely voice. While there is some filler here, the beautifully aching lyrics and incredibly talented fingerstyle guitar work more than makes up for it. You can't buy this kind of inspiration, although you can buy the antidepressants that would keep you alive along enough to put the inspiration on tape. Drake passed away two years later, in what may have been an accidental sleeping pill overdose or a suicide. He suffered from depression and other mental frailties, in part due to lack of commercial success. His three albums (see also 1969's "Five Leaves Left" and 1970's "Bryter Layter") were not well received at the time, although they were certainly accessible and arguably superior to anything his contemporaries were putting out in the England folk/rock scene. By the time he recorded "Pink Moon", he had no backing band and had turned away from an industry that he felt had likewise already turned from him - so much so that he recorded here with his back to the engineer, facing a wall. This album speaks so much louder than the hush of its instrumentation. Some have called it his suicide note, but I prefer to call it pure genius and a masterpiece of simplicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens under a golden moon?, Oct. 14 2003
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
Drake's Pink Moon is a brilliant example of the beauty of a great songwriter and what he can do with his acoustic guitar and a hint of pain. Regardless of the melancholy tune or his sudden death by an overdose of anti-depression pills, this album is a very enjoyable listen. The title track gets it started with it's simple lyrics and calm delivery. Other highlights include Road, Things Behind the Sun, and the wonderful closer From The Morning. And like that it's over as you wish there was just a little more. We could say more about his shortened career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditative and utterly gorgeous!, Oct. 13 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
'Pink Moon' is an all-time classic music masterpiece. There have only been 3 all-time great releases which have consumed me via their sheer beauty and ability to transport me and my emotions away to a faraway place filled with peace and tranquility. 'Pink Moon' is one of them (the others being 'Me Died Blue' by Steven Delopoulos, and 'After Everything Now This' by The Church). Drake's emotional and heartfelt songs evoke a myriad of genuine feelings for him and his music that are rare in today's generally hyped and commercialized music. The fact that one voice and one acoustic guitar alone can accomplish this attests to the genius of the man. Kudos must also go to the engineers who were able to do a killer job of properly digitally remastering this gem! The enhanced timbre, resolution, and 'air' around Nick's vocals and guitar tone is evident, especially on a really good high-end system. I just picked up a pair of 'Magneplanar' audiophile panel speakers, and christened them by playing 'Pink Moon', and I think I died and went to heaven! I have achieved 'eargasm'!

5.0 out of 5 stars A slice of angellic beauty, Oct. 4 2003
This review is from: Pink Moon (Audio CD)
I'm not sure why I'm writing this. If 199 reviews with an average of 5 stars apiece (4.8 if you get technical about it) didn't convince you I'm not sure what more I can say. But here goes.
There have been few albums in artists that have made such a beautiful account of standing on the edge, of being depressed, disillusioned, longing, and sheer loneliness. Yes, Nick Drake encapsulates all these emotions so simply and so poignantly in a mere 26 minutes, with only shimmering accoustic guitar to accompany him. His lyricism is powerful, his poetry is romantic, his voice is angelic and his guitar play is as virtuosic as they come. And when he sang, he sang as if he meant everything he wrote. He sang with desparation when he sang "Oh so weak in the palest blue, so weak in this need for you," with bitterness when he sang "Know that I love you. Know that I'm not there" and with sadness when he sang "I am the parasite of your town." And he didn't need a single distortion pedal, amp, a band, or even a pick! There is no filter from the things in his heart to the mic, just him!
So those of watch tragic movies, lamented with Dylan when he sang Not Dark Yet, listen to Norah Jones and Jack Johnson and folk and blues or any other music that sings of inner frustrations, or play an accoustic guitar for that matter, you needto hear Pink Moon badly!
(Note: Nick Drake's music overall isn't as depressed as some would lead you to believe. If this is too disturbed for you, Bryter Layter might be more to your liking. But get Five Leaves Left too. No matter which one you buy first, you'll want the other two as soon as you hear it.

ARRAY(0xb4cb63fc)

Pink Moon
Pink Moon by Nick Drake (Audio CD - 2003)