5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing talent
Published 5 months ago by B. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Self Indulgent
I loved this album when it was first released in the late '70s. I must have listened to it a hundred times, and it is associated with certain...intimate memories. But it just doesn't hold up to the passage of time the way the classic jazz albums do. The best I can say for it now is that it is like a thinking man's George Winston.
I have always liked Keith...
Published on July 31 2000 by David K. Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Musically, 5 star; recording lets it down, Feb. 13 2014
Dr. Tim Parker (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
For me, Jarrett hit his zenith with the first track of the Koln concert. I bought this disk decades ago, and it's been in heavy rotation ever since. Mostly always the first track, mostly always the last six or seven minutes when in a rush, there's a brilliance to this track I haven't encountered on any of his other disks (not to say there's not some great other performances). The build up of the piece, the recall of the themes, the wonderful air in his improvisation makes this a must-have piece, not just of jazz, but of all music. This shows Jarrett's tremendous talent in ways that always amaze people when I play the track.

What lets this CD down is the recording, which, quite frankly, is poor. I remember reading an interview about the making of this disk and the problems with the piano, the mics, the recording process. It was substandard, according to the recording and mastering engineers, but what made them release the disk was the music. I can only wonder what this would sound like on a great piano with state-of-the-art recording techniques.

In the end it doesn't matter: this disk is wonderful for the music alone. Despite the piano sound and the oversaturation, ECM did the best they could, and Jarrett was never better. A must have, as I said, for all music fans. Simply wonderful stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing talent, Feb. 10 2014
B. Anderson (Baddeck, Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I recently played Keith Jarretts' "Works" from ECM Records; a disc I purchased some 20 years ago and played only a handful of times since. I purchased Pat Metheny's "Works" at the same time and that record has been a favourite since as I am more of a guitar fan. "Works" was a series of albums released by ECM that are not a greatest hits album from each artist represented but more of an introduction to their music.

After all these years I was quite moved by Jarrett's playing and began to seek out more, wondering why I hadn't fallen in love with the album from the first listen. Obviously our tastes change (improve/mature?) as we age.

I discovered the "Koln Concert" on-line and after listening to the first track purchased a used vinyl copy as I felt this was more likely music I would sit and really listen to rather than buy on CD and have available for my car, ipod, etc.

I really don't understand why anyone would ever sell their copy unless it was to purchase the 180 gram edition to be released next month or if they were for some reason switching entirely digital but I am thankful nonetheless. Go ahead and find the first track on-line, sit down somewhere quiet for half an hour and really listen. That anyone can improvise such a moving piece of music of such length and beauty utterly amazes me. I dare say you too will buy a copy, whether it's vinyl, CD or download.

I expect I will eventually buy the 180 gram vinyl edition as well, reserving it for serious listening and my current copy for background/dinner music. I may have to buy a CD as well so I can add this beautiful music to my ipod in high quality AIFF format and thereby enjoy it while travelling, etc. This album is simply that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars some of Jarrett's most sweepingly majestic moments, May 5 2004
Derek Andrews "music head" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
This is the first Keith Jarrett album I've heard. I am aware that Jarrett himself said: "I think of that album as being full of really rich ideas but describing not as much of the process as I'm interested in describing...very much less describing the process than the other live solo recordings."
Contrasting Koln to his other concerts (I own also Vienna, Paris, Bremen/Lausanne, Tokyo '84, Dark Intervals), I'm not sure what he means.
For one thing its the most "straightforward" sounding one, I suppose, which explains its accessibility and popularity.
But does that matter? How does that make it less good than the others?
Personally I think the Koln concert contains some of Jarrett's most hauntingly gorgeous moments. Part IIB has an almost minimalist (although much more interesting) passage which erupts into a very Romantic piano like passage. This is the most touching and deeply moving piano solo I have yet heard.
Whether or not Jarrett wants to get all intellectual on us and imply that its easily accessible to the public is immaterial as far as I'm concerned.
This is gorgeous music and you had better buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, July 23 2003
ioannis (Earth, our only home) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
This was the second cd of mr Keith Jarrett that I bought and is certainly the best way to be introduced to his world....great record and easy to listen to by anyone.
I recommended to everyone. Music that doesnt fit into any category.....just a masterpiece of solo piano and music in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe that Paris is rated higher than this one!, Oct. 4 2000
"angleino310" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Koeln Concert is amazing. The music, as you know, is Keith Jarrett ad lib at his absolute best. The sound is so soulful, rhythmic and beautiful. It's evel amusing at times for his timely wailing that somehow got recorded. If you've ever seen Jarrett in concert, then you know these wails are so much a characteristic of his passion for his art. Alhtough these takes are not "jazz" as one might be used to hearing from Jarrett, that is they are not in the spirit of Bye Bye Blackbird or Deerhead Inn, they could be classified as a sort of Jazz-Classical. And finally, though Paris Concert is really neat, it is not astoundingly amazing like these pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars My One True Love, April 29 2004
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
I have kept from writing about the Koln concert for such a long time, but I feel I must... Now that I read all the reviews.
Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert captures your soul and never lets go. I have went on and listened to all of Jarrett's albums. All the solo performances. All the solo albums. La Scala is perfect. Probably the best solo concert, in terms of musicality, soul and beauty. Paris is an overall genius, lyrical, touching, aching. So are Vienna, Concerts and the clavichord session, Book of Ways, which is a must-have, although it is not for everybody.
Whisper Not CD1 is friendly jazz. CD2 is hardcore jazz. Judge it as you might. The Melody At Night With You is pure Keith Jarrett.
But Koln... It is above all that. While all those other works are standing tall, rising high, crawling, digging deep... They are all grounded somwhere. Classically, jazz-oriented, blues, even pure piano soloing... You can DEFINE them.
The Koln Concert just floats. It belongs nowhere. It is in a world of its own. No one, including Jarrett, has ever, and will ever make another composition like this one. It belongs to no category. It obeys no rules. It does something to you that only Toccata and Fugue in D Minor comes close to doing to you. It does that from the very first note. It lasts long after the CD ends.
People wrote, I have listened to it well over a hundred times. Me too. Well over a thousand. Hundreds of times to Jarrett's other albums, too. Keith Jarrett hates this album because he knows he will never repeat such a divine composition. Notice something interesting - Koln is not played even in Jarrett's style.
Koln was a concert played by a force larger than Jarrett. It was a composition playing itself through Jarrett. A gift from God, whether you believe in God or not. Laugh as you may, this album does something to you no other album does. It grabs your soul and never lets you go. You are a different person once you've heard Koln.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, July 22 2003
W. P. Gardner (Palo Alto, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
This is an absolutely wonderful record. I have probably listened to it several hundred times. It is hard to believe that Jarrett improvised all of it.
This music exists somewhere in the space between jazz and classical. People who don't know so much about classical music would probably identify it as piano music by some Romantic composer. The biggest "jazz" feature about it is that it is all improvised by Jarrett.
I don't think this 1975 recording has dated at all. (OK, there is some tape hiss on it.)
If you don't have any Keith Jarrett records, this is the one you should start with (it's the one I started with).

5.0 out of 5 stars TEARS TO MY EYES, Oct. 11 2002
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
This live Keith Jarrett recording is pure joy...plain and simple. I have owned it for over 15 years and upon returning to it again and again, it is as fresh and as exuberant as the first time I ever heard it. Jarrett is absolutely electric on this live recording and a master of spontaneous musicianship.
The first movement of Kohn especially is compelling, optimistic and unapologetically melodic. Sometimes when I finish hearing the first movement for the first time in months, I immediately want to back up to the last five minutes of the piece and literally listen to these final thrilling moments over and over again.
It is difficult for me to choose between this most popular Jarrett recording his live concert from Bregenz, Austria in 1981...but after hearing that first movement of Kohn again today, I might have to cast my vote for "The Kohn Concert" yet again. Listen...please...you will be amazed!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blown Concert?, Jan. 14 2002
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Having listened to this album many times, I am constantly impressed at its explosive quality. The sheer ecstasy that Jarrett communicates is extraordinary. As partial explanation for this, a number of leading academics have put forward various theories. Jarrett's technique is fabled, and many listening pianists find it hard to believe that he does not possess three hands. Also annoying, but after a while strangely pleasurable, about Jarrett's performances is his moaning, groaning, not to say grinding at the piano. Could it not be, musicologists have postulated, that he does indeed have a third hand, and during the periods when he is not using it for the piano, has it in his large pockets under the piano bringing himself off? (A close listening of Koln bears this out, as studies have confirmed. Note Part IIb in particular.) A still more revealing revelation is that Jarrett very often - including during the Koln concert - plays with a drape over the piano and at a diagonal angle, *facing the audience*, such that they can't see what is going on beneath the keys, as it were - and for good reason: Jarrett's ex-wife recently recorded in her autobiography that she often performed certain "undercover" services for Keith during concerts, particularly when his third hand was required to be engaged in playing. The difference between Keith's wailing reactions can clearly be noted - a study that has also been performed with regard to the La Scala and Paris recordings. His self-stimulated ecstatic moans tend to be more rhythmical and predictable, whereas while getting head his screams become increasingly poignant, erratic and strangely moving.
I hope this will help listeners find greater pleasure in their solitary enjoyment of this great blue classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piano solo concert, Dec 13 2011
Naomi Macklem (Scarborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koln Concert (Audio CD)
This is a stunning improvised piano solo concert. It is very inspiring to listen to. It still amazes me every time I listen to it how beautiful it sounds.

Koln Concert
Koln Concert by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 1999)