5.0 out of 5 stars Her "SECOND BEST" Album to Date... "TOUCH" Being Her First.
Okay, you're confused, and rightly so, as how can, "TOUCH" be both her second and first best albums?
Well, here's a little known fact, the first release of, TOUCH, was only released in Canada, and was very different then the later international version.
Published on Nov. 21 2005 by stryper

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad lyrics and production can't completely dampen this CD
Published on Dec 25 2003 by ac_mcfa82

5.0 out of 5 stars Her "SECOND BEST" Album to Date... "TOUCH" Being Her First., Nov. 21 2005
stryper "stryper" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
The original release (which was only released on cassette and record, but not CD) while retaining the same song list for the most part, had different (and in my opinion better) more earthy mixes to the songs.
Gone is the over polish of the international release, but what we get instead is a more personal incarnation of these amazing songs.
Now, if ONLY someone would release this version officially on CD, then I could retire my cassette :)

5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked debut worth checking out, July 11 2004
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
I was a little wary of listening to this album. I had heard it wasn't like any of her other albums, and I wasn't sure if I would like it. In fact, the first time I listened to it, I liked it but I was a little put off by it. I decided that before I wrote my review of the album, I would have to listen to it as if I hadn't heard Sarah's other terrific albums. I needed to have an open mind, and this CD deserved to be judged on its own merits.
Having listened to this CD again, I must say it is a terrific album. Sarah really shows she had talent right out of the gate. The songwriting is surprisingly strong for a first album. Her voice is also in great form, even though she uses a little too much of her upper register.
1)Out of the Shadows: a great album opener. One of my favorites.
2)Vox: very good and has a good beat.
3)Strange World: another good song.
4)Trust: I like this song as well.
5)Touch: this song seems like a way for Sarah to show off her voice, but what a voice it is.
6)Steaming: one of the best songs here. It packs a punch.
7)Sad Clown: also one of the album's best songs. I like the beat a lot.
8)Uphill Battle: an instrumental song. It's good and all, but it lacks Sarah's greatest instrument- her voice.
9)Ben's Song: a haunting song. I love the lyric "A cold wind blows on a windless day".
10)Vox (Extendend Version): as good as the original version. Towards the end Sarah sounds like Sinead O'Connor.
This is a very good debut album for Sarah. It doesn't sound like her other albums, but that's what makes it so unique. Anyone who has listened to her other albums should check this out because it really is a terrific album. Although there are echoes of Enya and Sinead O'Connor on some songs, that's understandable considering this is only her first album and it's only natural for new artists to have influences be reflected in their music. Although Sarah would go on to make even better albums, this one should be added to your CD collection because it proves she had talent from the get-go. I have listened to it several times since I got it a few days ago and I don't regret getting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Could Be Her Best, June 8 2004
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Although one of her first CD's this is a gem.
"Vox," "Trust" are brilliant!
It's kind of a "stream of consciousness" type collection...the music transports one to a different world!

2.0 out of 5 stars Instant etherealism! Just add water!, May 29 2004
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Recipe: 1 Kate Bush, add water and you get Tori Amos. Take 1 Tori Amos, add water, and you get ... Sarah MacLachlan. Bottom line: If you want a real artist who can provide you with music that will challenge and enchant you, buy a Kate Bush CD. If that's too steep for you, but a Tori Amos record. And if that's too much for your weak heart, well ... Sarah MacLachlan is the best you can do, so HAVE FUN!

4.0 out of 5 stars Talent shows from the very first album, April 5 2004
Jennifer Robinson "onetinkerbell" (Rockville, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Most people know of Sarah McLachlan due to her success with such hits as "Building A Mystery", "Adia", "Possession" and "Hold On". I discovered her by buying "Touch" back in 1992, and I bought it on cassette because at the time I had no CD player. Despite the lack of quality in the sound of cassette (vs the sound from a CD) I knew then that this was a woman of extraordinary talent.
It is true that this album is different from all of her others, in that it is almost over-produced. I think this can be overlooked considering the beautiful result. The purity of her voice shines through in most songs, although her talent at the piano in "Ben's Song" is overshadowed by the other songs. However, if the extremely catchy "Vox" doesn't make you want to hit repeat on your CD player I'd be surpised.
The songs have gotten better over the years and the sound has matured as Sarah has learned to go with a more natural sound and sing the majority of her songs in the mid to lower portion of her range. But if you are a true fan, this album is one that you shouldn't pass up.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only Sarah McLachlan CD I have..., March 25 2004
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
...and yes, I'm a good Canadian, and a fan of Canadian music, and of female singer/songwriters, and of piano-based pop, and of deep lyrics, and of all that good stuff. But mainstream Sarah McLachlan is all over the airwaves, and I know it all really well just by the sheer fact that I have a radio and ears. It's not that I don't like it, but I don't need it. This CD is something else again. It's her first, and although I'm no music critic, to me it sounds totally different from her other stuff. More earthy, stranger, more ethereal -- like it just dropped out of the clear blue sky, untouched by more common influences. It took me some time to get in touch with it, but now it's like a very good friend. Buy it for Sad Clown (still gives me chills). Buy it for Touch (so beautiful). I still like Vox (but not the final remix...). The CD is definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touch: More than Touchs on brilliant, Jan. 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Even though this is Sarah Mclachlan's first CD, I find it indulging and beautiful. Her songs, though quite different stylistically from those on her other CDs, still have amazing lyrics and beat. Her voice is younger, but no less lacking in purity and beauty. This CD is nothing short of brilliant, despite and if not because it is her first. The songs are a little more playful, but still have their deep quality. I love this CD as much as any of her others, and they're the only thing I ever listen to.
Out of the Shadows: Though this song is long, with what may appear to be an excited beat, you need only listen to the lyrics to know this song has deep wisdom and uncertainty. "No one calls, there in the shadows. There's no end to the dark. There's no one out there, no one like me," and "No ways the right way." It is a really catchy song, with Sarah Mclachlan's high range of voice well demonstrated.
Vox: This is probably everyone's classic favorite. I love this one, too. It has such nice rhythm and the lyrics are poetic and mysterious. "I fall into the water and once more I turn to you. And the crowds were standing, staring faceless, cutting off my view to you. They start to limply flail their bodies in a twisted mime...Oh why? Oh why?" Vox, in Latin, means voice. Probably enough said right there. The beat is strong and this song is awesome to dance to.
Strange World: This song, strange and slow, does exactly what the title implies. This song takes things that may seem nothing and turns them into mystery. Everything is strange, in its own way. The male echoes intensify the melody and rhythm, along with the general strangeness of this song. This is a really cool one to listen to.
Trust: Trust reminds me of Time (Afterglow). It's pretty uncertain, but with a jerked around feeling. It also plays with things more serious than just the first level, first glance impression you might get. It makes you think: what is trust? what is failure? what are lies? what is betrayal? This song also has male vocals. I really like it.
Touch: Touch doesn't have any lyrics. It has only Sarah Mclachlan's voice accompanied by piano. This is a moving piece which I absolutely love. There is something about Sarah's voice that enhances this song's beauty to an extent almost unbelievable. This song is rightly called Touch: it will touch your heart.
Steaming: This has kind of a classic, rockin' on beat that takes a while to warm up. You kind of have to bob your head to it, even unconsciously, because subconsciously the beat registers as strong and fast. The lyrics are classic, too, "If you want me to go, just ask me to go I'd go. All the way my love..." This is a really, really fun song.
Sad Clown: This is mostly music. It's got really haunting lyrics. "From the river comes a figure, drifting slowly by. Trailing long the water leaving softer than a sigh." This is a truly unique piece.
Uphill Battle: No words in this, just a really moving mixture of guitars, keyboards, and percussion. It reminds me of a long and grueling fight-I get these images of someone walking/crawling/stumbling up a hill with a blizzard roaring in their face.
Ben's Song: My favorite on this CD. Amazing lyrics, Sarah Mclachlan's haunting voice, and piano. It's so freaky. "On a windless day, I saw the life blood drained away. A cold wind blows, on a windless day. Hear the cry for new life, the mourning flame." Sarah's purity of voice is impeccable here. It's just amazing. I get so blown away that all the words in the dictionary fail me. My gosh.
Vox [Extended Version]: This is a hip mix of Vox. It takes longer to get going, but it's really funky. If you can think of Latin, funk, poetry, and a beat that rocks your body, you've got this song. Great dance song extended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad lyrics and production can't completely dampen this CD, Dec 25 2003
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Most so-called fans of Sarah McLachlan are probably unaware of the fact that she released two albums before "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" in 1993. Many "fans" have missed out on the masterpiece that is "Solace" (1991) and "Touch", McLachlan's fine debut album. As with all of McLachlan's later releases, they have focused on her devastatingly beautiful voice but if nothing else, "Touch" is nothing but a vehicle for her voice and her outstanding acoustic guitar work. Lyrically, Sarah wrote about nonsense (check out the lyrics to "Strange World" to see my point) and musically the album suffers under Greg Reely's over-production and corny instrumentation. Had these songs been left in their original acoustic forms, I'm sure I would give this album a much higher rating. Anyway, despite the fact that the album is deeply flawed, it's still an entertaining and interesting first-listen to one of the best vocalists out there today.
Favourite songs: "Out of the Shadows", "Vox", "Touch", "Steaming", "Sad Clown".

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah's first and best album, Nov. 16 2003
Sam Martorana (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
In the late 1980's a young and talented singer from Halifax came to Vancouver to begin a recording career with Nettwerk Records.
What emerged was a stunning and ground breaking album called Touch, Sarah McLachlan's first album.
This is without a doubt, Sarah's best album. At the time, it was groundbreaking and unlike anything that was out there.
There was gorgeous rich guitar, lots of percussion and Sarah's amazing voice. Clearly her classically trained roots come out in this album and sadly began to fade over the years. Her voice just doesn't sound like that anymore.
If you buy Touch for one reason, make it for the chilling track "Sad Clown", my favourite Sarah McLachlan song to date and the only one she hasn't performed in the five concerts I've attended!
If you're a Sarah fan, this album is a must--it was the start of her career. If you're not a Sarah fan, the album will still catch you for the amazing arrangements and the young Sarah's gorgeous soprano despite the fact you're poised to kill if you hear "Building a Mystery" one more freakin' time. The young soprano's voice was caught at her peak, long before the days of being THE Canadian adult contemporary artist. (OK, second to Celine Dion)
Wish she still made music like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Makes Her Entrance, Nov. 7 2003
Alan Caylow (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touch (Audio CD)
Sarah McLachlan was just a young sprite of 21 when she released her debut album, "Touch," in 1989. This is an excellent first album, showcasing Sarah's beautiful voice (though obviously younger-sounding on this disc), her melodic songwriting abilities, and her skillful playing on both guitar and piano. Being a 1989 release, "Touch" certainly sounds different from Sarah's later albums, as the production is very studio-polished (i.e. 80's-sounding keyboards and echoed drums feature throughout), so some fans may be a bit surprised. Nonetheless, if you love Sarah's music, then you will certainly love "Touch." Many great songs are on this one, like the gorgeous "Out Of The Shadows," the hit song "Vox," "Trust," "Steaming," the beautiful instrumental "Uphill Battle," and the exquisite "Ben's Song," featuring just Sarah and her piano. Sarah's angelic voice simply soars--and soothes--throughout the whole album. It's unfortunate that "Touch" is a somewhat overlooked Sarah McLachlan album---nothing from it was featured on Sarah's live album, "Mirrorball"---but your Sarah collection is simply not complete without "Touch." After "Touch," Sarah's music would only get better and better, as she pushed up the bar greatly with her next album, "Solace," and even more so with her third & best album to date, "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy." But "Touch" still stands today as a wonderful first step for this incredibly talented lady.

ARRAY(0xab0297ec)

Touch
Touch by Sarah Mclachlan (Audio CD - 1998)
Click for more info