5.0 out of 5 stars live is best
Published on April 5 2004 by Brandon

3.0 out of 5 stars How Can A Pretty Voice Use Filthy Words?
I really love Sara McLachlan's voice. It is beautiful. You can feel her passion for the song when she sings. I bought this CD and was shocked when a few of the songs had objectional words in them. Yes, it is stuff you hear everyday at work and school but I don't want to pay money to hear them. I skip over the tracks rather than listen to them, but it shouldn't have to...
Published on Jan. 3 2002 by Lance Q. Homer

5.0 out of 5 stars live is best, April 5 2004
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
You can tell the real talent of an artist/band based on their live performance. The best thing,for me, about live music is the ENERGY, and this cd has plenty of it. This cd introduced me to Sarah's music and made me a fan for life. It is one of those rare cds that I can play all the way through and love every track. This was my first Sarah cd and I would recommend it as a starter for any new fans. All the good things you have heard about Sarah's music are true. But don't take my word for it...listen to it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Songs, Sept. 30 2006
This review is from: 1998 Mirrorball Live (Audio CD)
Sarah's lyrics touch a deep nerve. Her voice has a rare clarity and her vision is both ethereal and real. This is a very very good cd. If you like Sarah Mclachlan, which I do,get this cd. It mainly has her hits on it. It is a great cd, but the down side is that the songs were recorded during her concerts. Besides that it is a great cd, like I said. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply, beautiful, Sept. 29 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
this is album is just quite simply beautiful, the songs, the music, the lyrics, sarah's voice, all of it. she is such a talent, love all her songs, poetic lyrics, sincere emotion, sensitivity, integrity, sensuality - this has the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great live album from a standout artist, July 7 2004
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
Sarah McLachlan never ceases to amaze me. She is amazingly consistent and is a one-of-a-kind artist. I wasn't sure if her live album would be as good as her studio albums, but not only does it succeed, it is better than her studio work. There is nothing like hearing thousands of people being silent at a concert because they are so touched and moved by the music. Sarah sings with such force and clarity. She has never sounded better.
This album does overlook much of her older material (Touch, all but one song off of Solace), but her choice of songs to include on this CD is excellent. All of the songs are outstanding, and are further proof Sarah is an incomparable singer-songwriter.
I give this album my highest recommendation. Each time I listen to it (which happens to be a lot), I find something new to love about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, June 12 2004
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
When I heard angel and I will remember you I was a fan of hers. Now that I have this album its still so hard to believe that this is a very very good album. I wish that Sarah wrote happy songs but maybe thats not her thing. Her songs always leave you crying and you never forget the songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah's "Fumbling/Surfacing" Show, April 3 2004
Alan Caylow (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
Recorded live on her 1998 tour for her hugely successful "Surfacing" album, "Mirrorball" demonstrates what a powerful performer Sarah McLachlan & her band are live in concert. The only debit to "Mirrorball" is that it's basically The "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy/Surfacing" Show---all but two of the songs here are exclusively from these two albums, apart from "Path Of Thorns" (from "Solace") and "I Will Remember You" (from "The Brothers McMullen" movie soundtrack). No songs from "Touch," and only one song from "Solace"? That's kinda disappointing. But I'm only criticising the lopsided choice of live tracks, NOT the quality of them, which are all marvelous. Sarah & her ace band do GREAT renditions of such songs as "Building A Mystery," "Good Enough," "Adia," "Path Of Thorns," "Fear," "Possession," and "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy," while Sarah does a remarkable solo piano stint on "Angel." There's also a charming audience sing-along on the simple-but-sweet "Ice Cream," which can't fail to bring a smile to your face. Sarah's voice is golden and angelic, and her interplay with the band is excellent. And the album *sounds* great, too.It's a sure bet that Sarah McLachlan will release another live album at some point, and hopefully it will feature songs from *all* of her wonderful albums. But "Mirrorball" is a more-than satisfying live document of this remarkable singer/songwriter, and should definitely be included in your Sarah CD collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few songs I repeat over and over..., March 26 2004
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
Sarah seems to be in a constantly melancholy mode here, which is fine with me. Because the songs are all done live, you feel the lyrics, the words, the instrumentals, all more than ever. Her voice is haunting and her lyrics speak depths - sometime depths I can't understand, LOL. My fave tracks are:
1.) Building a Mystery - Who is the man she speaks of?
2.) Possession - Just really amazing song, LOL!
3.) Sweet Surrender - Good backup, haunting melody.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Sarah McLachlan Fans!, March 11 2004
Brandy Rivers (Dickson, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
I have just begun to really appreciate the voice and music of Sarah McLachlan. Mirrorball is the 2nd CD I've purchased, and while I am not usually a fan of live albums, I can't get enough of this one.
Her voice has a quality that I believe is rarely found in this day. I was only familiar with a few of the songs, but I love and now know the words to every song! I don't use the skip buttons on this one! And it is one of only two CD's that must be in my car when I am!
If you don't have this album and have never heard a live performance by Sarah McLachlan, Mirrorball really needs to be in your collection! You will love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the album info before buying this R-rated CD, March 3 2004
William D. Marsh (Gales Ferry, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
In reading dozens of the hundreds of reviews of "Mirrorball," I was amazed that the majority of them were written by people who objected primarily to 2 things (that had nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the songs or Sarah's performances of them):
1. The album is a rehash of songs that have been released before on other CDs (perhaps more than once?).
2. The noise of the crowd on many of the tracks was distracting.
For heaven's sake, don't folks read about an album before they buy it, or do they just blindly throw their money across the counter because the CD has Sarah McLachlan's name on it? It is clear from the information provided in the Amazon listing for this CD that it contains reissued songs that were performed live. If people find either or both of these things objectionable, they should save their money. Complaints like these should really be sent directly to Sarah (perhaps via her web site?) or to her label.
What couldn't be learned from reading the album information is that "Mirrorball" should be R-rated for its use of profanity, including the "F" word in "Building A Mystery." Maybe I haven't been listening carefully enough to the words on her other albums (mostly I listen to music as background material while reading), but this got my attention like a slap in the face. Apparently only one other reviewer shared my concern, which I suppose is a sign of the times. Pardon our tender sensibilities, but I still find it offensive to hear this type of language without being forewarned--I expect it if I watching an R-rated movie, but not on a Sarah McLachlan CD. I wouldn't want my 8-year-old granddaughter listening to this. Some might argue that she probably hears worse than this at school and that may well be true. Even so, I choose not to expose her to it intentionally, just as I wouldn't sit her down with me to watch an R-rated movie.
This is the basis of my 1-star rating, however unfair that may be.
If you are looking for a sampling of Sarah's work and don't mind the sounds of a live performance, but DO object to profanity, don't buy this CD.
Of course, you could consider this review your R rating and go from there. (And Yes, I will be sending a complaint to Sarah and her label.)

5.0 out of 5 stars bitter, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Mirrorball (Audio CD)
This has got to be the most depressing songs I ever heard, but I devoured every minute of it because I know all to well what sadness is like.

ARRAY(0xc1b16eb4)

1998 Mirrorball Live
1998 Mirrorball Live by Sarah Mclachlan (Audio CD - 2002)