5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a classic movie on DVD.
It is greatly appreciated to view this movie on DVD as we had it on VHS only...one that we enjoy watching from time to time.
Published 4 months ago by Kelvin

1.0 out of 5 stars a "box-office failure" indeed
What can one say about this pretty but slushy, mushy film. Hmmm..it's boring, Jodie Foster was miscast, people reacted to this film when it was released in the theatres just like Superman reacts to Kryptonite.
I watched this film with an open mind; I realised that it was not the usaual action-packed Chow Yun Fat flick but this was beyond painful..
Published on April 20 2001 by H. A Huffman

1.0 out of 5 stars a "box-office failure" indeed, April 20 2001
H. A Huffman "haumf" (Mt. Prospect, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anna and the King (VHS Tape)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bold Attempt at a Classic, March 11 2014
Greg "neurosky" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anna and the King (DVD)
This film was obviously intended to be a timeless masterpiece. Although it fails in this respect, it remains a worthwhile historical film. The directing is very good, but for some awkwardly timed shots. The writing ranges from good to satisfactory. You cannot establish the apathy of a character in one scene and then expect us for feel for his personal sentimentality in the next. The extravagance of the kingdom we see is both grotesque in its excess and beautiful in its elegance. The film does not pretend that many are not suffering so that others may live in such luxury, although it spends much time empathizing with the one who suppresses them. Although it is based on history and the strong influence of a well-intended woman on a society, ultimately this is an ego-based romance story; a British woman who finds herself taken with the bold (but socially disciplined) absolutist of a luxurious exotic kingdom, who has 25 wives, not counting his concubines. I feel that the writers lacked focus on what they wanted to communicate with the film.

On a side note, Jodie Foster delivers a solid performance like always. All the acting is good in this one, even by the child actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a classic movie on DVD., Dec 2 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Anna and The King, July 31 2013
D. E. Kaye "music lover" (Yarmouth NS CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anna and the King (DVD)
I had seen the movie before, but it was one I knew I would want to watch many times. The movie arrived quickly and in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars anna and the king, July 19 2013
This review is from: Anna and the King (DVD)
wonderful movies and history telling in such a way that you are glue to television to see how the people had to live and fight for the freedom..... the love between anna and the king is so wonderful....you wish they would really be marry...

I love both of the actors..... please bring us some more good stories about the life and legends... sincerely marcelle thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon film, May 7 2013
This review is from: Anna and the King (Widescreen) (DVD)
Le film Anna and the King a été reçu en bon état et conforme à l'annonce du vendeur. Le DVD fonctionne très bien.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anna and the King review, June 6 2012
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this because Jodie Foster was the lead role in this film and also on the fact that she has done other interesting roles (eg: Nell). This is based on diaries written by Anna Leonowens (Jodie Foster). While she has preconceived notions of the East, the king (Chow Yun-Fat), has preconceived notions of the West. In spite of the danger of the growing political unrest, the respect for each other slowly turns into something more. Also starring in this movie is Geoffrey Palmer (As Time Goes By), Tom Felton (Louis, Anna's son). I would highly recommend this movie. It has a great story, wonderful scenery and a good cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising, revisionist approach to a well-known, well-loved tale, Jan. 27 2007
I am originally from Montreal, Canada, where Anna Leonowens ended her days and is buried in Mount Royal cemetery, where most of my relatives now rest in peace. I have been familiar with her story since childhood (I am now in my 50's) and I love both this film and Margaret Langdon's book.

However, I have read very few reviews that point out just how much, unlike the previous other three versions - two of them "musicals" - available on DVD, this film version is at first unsympathetic, if not downright critical, of Anna's Imperialist and Colonial attitudes and opinions.

These were taken for granted and apparently supported, never questioned, by Rodgers and Hammerstein in their musical version - which, because of this, now appears somewhat "outdated". Since, in the musical, the composer and lyricist were not sensitive enough to the social and political implications of their approach, Anna's story is, to this day, still banned in Thailand...

In this version, King Mongkut fares a lot better and is treated with greater respect. A highly cultured and civilized monarch, he is understandably at a loss when "Hurricane Anna" first arrives at court! His is a far cry from Yul Brynner's broad interpretation, where he was portrayed as a "barbarian"; where Anna could do no wrong! This is a fresh, different, multicultural approach to a well-know, well-loved tale.

In this age of the Global Village and multiculturalism, all cultures deserve greater respect than they once received in the 19th century. Could this be one of the main points of this "remake": to set the record straight and hopefully correct the situation?

In spite of its flaws (well represented in other reviews), this film is well worth watching many times. Who knows? It might help us uncover and correct our own negative views as we relate to other peoples and cultures...

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to watch for a school project..., Dec 31 2003
Christopher Berry (Hale, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anna and the King (Widescreen) (DVD)
I thought that this film was very beautiful in content...this film had some real substance to it, and the actors did an excellent job in the portrayal of the characters involved...lovely story.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. T, May 15 2011
This review is from: Anna and the King (DVD)
An excellent movie! I can now dispose of my VHS of this movie. I have the original with Yul Brenner but this updated version is much better.

ARRAY(0xab432b7c)

Anna and the King (Widescreen)
Anna and the King (Widescreen) by Andy Tennant (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 24.95