4.0 out of 5 stars Lord of the Flies, for adults
"The Beach" reminds me of "Lord of the Flies" but instead of boys being stranded on a deserted island, it is about young adults that live on an island that has an idyllic secluded beach and communal lifestyle. One side of the island is home to a 60s type of "hippie" commune, and the other side is occupied by a large scale pot growing operation that is watched over...
Published on May 1 2010 by mocha

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the book instead
The Beach tried its best to be good, but didn't really live up to its potential. So many things could have been done to make it a good movie, but the need for sex overcame the want for quality. This movie is supposed to be about society and Paradise and things like that, but in reality it is an action flick with sex. Because we need sex, of course; "we" meaning the...
Published on April 5 2002 by M. Smitherman

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars you might wanna check out the novel by Alex Garland (4.5/5), Feb. 1 2008
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
this is one intense movie going experience.i don't wanna give too much
away,but it has echoes of Lord of the Flies.if i'm not mistaken it's
also similar to King Rat.it's directed by Danny Boyle(Train Spotting,28
days Later)and Stars Leonardo DiCaprio,Tilda Swinton and Robert
Carlyle.anyway,there's some great acting here.Tilda Swinton in
particular impressed me.the dialogue is also well written.really the
whole movie is well written.plus there is a high element of suspense
and danger.it's based on a novel by Alex Garland,but i haven't read the
novel,so i can't compare.i may just try to find the novel,so i can
compare.as a movie though it's quite well done.for me,The Beach is a
4.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars probably the best Leo film out there, Nov. 6 2003
Michael Bolts (superior, wiusa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beach, the (VHS Tape)
I'm not a big fan of Leo but this has got to be his best work. Titanic was ok but this one captures his acting singlehanded. the video game style of Leo is awesome and when he goes crazy its cool. Tilda Swinton has never been more cooler and that hot girl Virgilene is hot hot hot, like I said shes hotl The Beach sparks another great direction from Danny Boyle(Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, A Life Less Ordinary and Shallow Grave). a big pic for Leo fans and he worked really hard and out for this role, good for him

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird...I Guess, Nov. 12 2005
Thomas Dysart "Music Listener" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
I read the book, the book is actually very good, and is the first book i've read in a long time. After the book I rented the movie. I wish there were more books and movie kinda-weird ,unique,spritual,random i dont know to describe it. To think of this place in my mind and then watch the movie was mesmorising, the scenery of Thailand was amzing, and one day it would be great to travel along the Kun Sun Road or whatever its called... All in all, this movie is amazing and defaintly worth trying out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best film yet!! Five stars it deserves 10 stars though!!, May 11 2004
Ashley (seguin, tx usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie is one of the best films that I've gotten yet, of course we all know Leonardo DiCaprio acted in Titanic (1997) but this movie is actually better than Titanic put it that way but I still love both movies!!!! I saw this movie on Satelitte before and that's what made me want to really B-U-Y this movie. I HIGHLY reccomend that you B-U-Y this movie today, if not today then whenever you can!! It's the best! My favorite scene is when the 3 of them go swimming to the Island.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not THAT Bad, Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie had some great elements- good acting, a good script, good shots. What I don't understand is why the "video game" scene was necessary. It seemed over-the-top. The music and scenes of the beach were wonderful. I thought Leo DiCaprio did an excellent job with what he had, the same goes for the rest of the cast.
I enjoyed this movie. It won't go down as the greatest movie of all time but it definitely wasn't the worst movie of 2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, Sept. 27 2003
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
I don't understand why everyone rags on this movie. I never get sick of it and everytime I watch, I'm hooked from beginning to end. It's a fascinating story and the characters are all likeable in their own ways. I couldn't help but think that this movie was somewhat like an adult version of "Lord of the Flies." DiCaprio is a brilliant actor and this a 5-star movie in my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning, experimentally inquisitive masterpice, Aug. 7 2003
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
Visually stunning cinematography, experimentally inquisitive masterpice.
Leonardo DiCaprio delivers one of his best performance so far.
Equally charming to see talented Virginie Ledoyen.
Highly under rated movie of recent times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, Jan. 31 2012
Ryan G (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
Danny Boyle is one of my favorite directors. Slum Dog Millionaire is amazing. Trainspotting and Shallow Grave are classics. The book The Beach is one of my favorites. How they managed to mess this one up so badly is beyond me. If your a fan of Boyle or the book stay away from this disaster.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, Jan. 21 2004
This review is from: The Beach (Bilingual) (DVD)
The Beach, directed by Danny Boyle and based on the book written by Alex Garland, is one of the most dissapointing movies I have ever seen. I have read the book three different times, and the movie does this novel no justice. I love Danny Boyle as a director, and to his credit, the cinematography, music, and style of this film is great. However, the character development, symbolism, and much of the scenes in the book do not come across in the movie. As usual, the book is better than the movie, and this movie is worse than most.

4.0 out of 5 stars J'adore, Sept. 4 2014
This review is from: The Beach (DVD)
good

‹ Previous | 118 19 20 | Next ›

The Beach (Bilingual)
The Beach (Bilingual) by Danny Boyle (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 11.98 CDN$ 10.98