5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, Funny, Disturbing, EXTREMELY WEIRD, yet good!
I'm trying to figure this film out. The more you watch it the more you understand it. It keeps it's power each time you watch. Is it scary? YES. Is it funny? YES. Is it good? Well, it's not for everyone. Only for the intellectual person who loves horror that not only scares you, disturbes you, and makes you laugh, but also one that makes you think. Fans of this should...
Published on June 15 2003 by Tom Servo

2.0 out of 5 stars Ummmmm...what am I looking at?
While at some point in the film I did get a Twilight Zone feel, most of the time I was just wondering what the heck I was looking at. This is more of an art film than entertainment. Essentially weird for the sake of weird. I spent most of the film waiting for something, anything, to happen.
When something did sorta kinda happen it made no sense. Maybe that's the...
Published 1 month ago by Mayor Maynot

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmarish world..., Sept. 24 2010
Edmonson (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eraserhead (DVD)
This is perhaps David Lynch's best film. Eraserhead came out in 1978 and has been a cult favourite ever since. It is a surreal story filmed in haunting black and white. It is a horrific and funny story. It is a nightmare.

My impression was that the film is a depiction of a possible dark future with warnings about the dangers of an industrial society gone off track. There are deformed monstrous babies, and people living scared in their dark apartments not knowing their neighbours, surrounded by noisy industrial complexes where no trace of nature seems to exist anymore, only railway tracks, dirt and gravel. A picture in a room doesn't show a tranquil beautiful landscape, but an atomic explosion. People are living in the shadow of this industrial world which has overtaken everything, and has even darkened the sky with its soot.

Whether taken as a movie with a message or as just the representation of a surreal, nightmarish world, this film in truly unique and is one of the most perfect cinematic films ever made.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real test of patience that will blow your mine!,, Oct. 26 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Eraserhead (DVD)
I swear to you in the beginning of this film I was going to throw this movie in the trash but as it progress I grew to like it. I should preface by saying this is my second taste of David Lynch (Blue Velvet being my first). I knew it would be weird, but I was not expecting this. I like weird movies, but this makes "Donnie Darko" look like "Titanic". Let's accept the fact that this is one of the most notoriously bizarre, weird and idiotic films ever made, we cannot deny that it made an impact on experimental cinema. If we were to believe that this film is nothing more than psychedelic fodder for abnormal or curious minds then we are discarding it, perhaps exalting it to an avant gard status. Is it just random imagery shown for "shock value" sake? Was David Lynch some goof ball in his youth that he was just some fool who embarked on a five year project, which isn't anything better than someone showing weird people and weird things just to discover what the reaction would be? Likely. But I think it's a bit of that and more.

Everything here is designed to shock you but the baby. The baby is absolutely normal. What is interesting, some critics say the baby is a mutant, but do they think so in the movie? They treat it like a normal child. Yes, it looks like an eye sore, but it looks so to us, how do we know how it looks to them? Or how do we know, that we see what it IS, and not what Henry and his wife SEE it to be? The answer is - we don't know that. This dimension of the movie raises everyday life misfortunes and reflects social consciousness of some family issues. Everything that concerns society and social perception is more or less clear and familiar (like the marriage). But when it comes to personal visions and submergence you fall into the jack rabbit's hole. Talking about horror effect, the Lady in Radiator is brilliant. She is the most terrible and terrifying thing I have ever seen, but you like her! You can't take your eyes from her; she has a mesmerizing effect of some unknown power.

Eraserhead, in itself, will be boring, engrossing, drab, quirky, freakish and grotesque. The real crime here is that it absolutely refuses to explain itself and leaves you impatient with virtually no plot, minimal dialogue and just seems to venture into its own indulgent surrealistic voyage with uncompromising willfulness. But it somehow works through its convoluted logic. It has spawned many reactions, both positive and negative. But this movie is likely to give art students ideas. And strange minds will likely be attracted to it. I happen to admire it. I don't admire it for its result, but rather the effort put into it. Any film maker should remark that a lot of effort and work went into this production, regardless of the budget. Five years is a long time and quite a sacrifice to have such a modest payoff. Lynch took a gamble with this movie, and I praise him for that. It is evident that after watching it we come across some elaborate sets and special effects. I'm not here to defend the film, but rather the painstaking work of David Lynch for having dedicated himself to such a torrid and abominable piece of art.

1.0 out of 5 stars pencilneck, June 12 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Eraserhead [DVD] (DVD)
A mess. Don't waste your time. Two of the most overrated film directors of all time are Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch--oh yeah, Hitchcock is another one.
Jack Nance did a nice turn in Bukowski's Barfly, though. Check it out.

Eraserhead [DVD]