5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith's Low Budget Masterpiece
Published on July 3 2005 by Doug Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars another popular release.
This review is for the Criterion Collection DVD edotion of the film.
Published on May 25 2004 by Ted

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith's Low Budget Masterpiece, July 3 2005
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
After the similarly funny novel, "The Losers' Club: Complete Restored Edition" by Richard Perez, Chasing Amy is the best Amazon purchase I made in a long time. Some people may say that this film is uneven, etc., but in my opinion there's so many great, heartfelt scenes that I can't seem to get enough of this flick, and I've taken to watching it over and over. Just think of the "confession scene" where Holden confesses his love -- I can't think of any film with such a heartfelt, soulful scene; and I love the scene where Alysa answers the Holden's question: "Why Me?" Then there's the great scene where Silent Bob tells the story of Amy. Amazing 'cause it's such a thoughtful scene but also funny. In short, I really need to recommend this movie to people who think Kevin Smith does nothing but make films full of dick and fart jokes. I say, yeah there are those jokes, but so much more to it! Pick up a copy of this great film, probably my favorite so-called romantic comedy of all time. And again I need to recommend "The Losers Club: Complete Restored Edition" -- very much related to this film.

3.0 out of 5 stars another popular release., May 25 2004
Ted "Ted" (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
This review is for the Criterion Collection DVD edotion of the film.
This film the third release in the Jersey "trilogy" (quintilogy to be exact) is also the one where Silent Bob speaks more than any other release. In this film,(Ben Affleck) a comic book artist falls in love with young women who is also a comic book artist, only to discover that she is lesbian. The film is not for children and like the film "Clerks" almost got an NC-17 rating based solely on sexual dialog.
The Criterion DVD has numerous special features.
There is a new DVD edition video introdiction for the audio commentary explaining a comment made by Kevin blasting DVD's (The audio commentary as originally recorded for the laserdisc edition.)
The is full length audio commentary by director/actor Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, actors Ben Affleck and Jason Mewes, associate producer Robert Hawk, Miramax executive Jon Gordon, and Vincent Pereira. There is also a Theatrical trailer, 10 deleted scenes with introductions. There is also a set of outtakes.
The Criterion Collection remains the exclusive distributer for the film's DVD format as of the time this review is being written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Smith's best film, April 28 2004
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
Kevin Smith has redefined comedy in his Jersey quintilogy, bringing life to an entire community filled with strange and hilarious characters. In "Clerks" and "Mallrats" he gave us pure comedy, but in this third installment, he brings a more serious side to the making of "Chasing Amy", and what he has created is an excellent movie all around.
This is the story of Banke and Holden, the creators of the underground comic book "Bluntman and Chronic" (based on the characters of Jay and Silent Bob). Holden falls in love with another comic book writer, Alyssa Jones, who happens to be a lesbian and happens to have a long and infamous sexual history. This is a love story, more than anything, about coming to terms with who you are, who your partner is, and their past. And Smith does this really well. We care and love all of the characters, and there is still plenty of comedy here. The bar scene where Banke and Alyssa are comparing scars from previous sexual episodes is absolutely hilarious.
The movie is stolen here by Banke, played by Smith constant Jason Lee. He spews his dialogue with such ferocity and fun, that we cannot help but love his conflicted and overly-aggressive character.
There is a big plot twist at the end here, but like Holden says, it seems so inevitable that they all get to this point. This is a great movie, because it is a love story, and a powerful and different one at that, as well as a hilarious comedy. There are plenty of comic book references here, as well as plenty of swearing and sexual dialogue, which makes Smith's writing that much more authentic and believable.
Maybe "Chasing Amy" isn't the funniest movie Smith has done, but it is definitely the best all-around movie he has made. There is intelligence here as well, making this a can't miss movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chasing Fingercuffs!, April 22 2004
James R. Mckinley (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
In Chasing Amy, Kevin Smith finds a delicate balance between the raw vulgarity and toilet humor of his other four movies while delivering his best dialogue yet. I found myself watching the final ten minutes over and over as subtle facial expressions and the brilliant detachedness of the three characters closed off any doubts as to the outcome of their relationships. Minor flaws in the dialogue reminded me of the choppiness of Clerks. I found Chasing Amy to be a stunning window into the today's generation dealing with some of its own issues. There were strong performances & sharp, smart dialogue rather than the all-too-common dumb schtick. It had urban reality and it had heart. Some sheltered people may find this film crude, and they may be right. However, this is how people in real life talk. If your tender ears can't handle words then don't rent it. For everyone else this is a great movie. Smith made this film with a low 6 figures and it looks better than many that get churned out these days. The Criterion Edition especially is amazing with great sound and a crisp picture. This isn't a life changing movie or anything but it is the most dramatic of Smith's films and there are plenty of good laughs. Give it a chance. (Make sure and listen to the directors commentary track, it's almost as funny as the film)

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm still not sure I understand the title of the film, March 26 2004
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
About three-quarters of the way through, Silent Bob explains that HE was the one chasing Amy - up until this point I couldn't understand why it wasn't called Chasing Alyssa.
This movie is part of a 'set' of Kevin Smith films, two of which I've seen, and liked (Dogma, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back). And now I like a third one! If you've only seen one, then I suggest you look out for the others, as there's loads of references, in-jokes and characters appearing in all the movies. I still have to get Clerks & Mallrats.
I did feel that Jay & Silent Bob didn't have big roles in this. They appeared regularly throughout in Dogma, and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back - well, that film was all about them! I'm totally after Clerks & Mallrats now. I'm ashamed to say I'm actually beginning to like Jay and Silent Bob - I have to say that I prefer Silent Bob, his facial expressions are hilarious.
For some reason, I was not keen on Joey Lauren Adams character. Her voice totally got on my nerves, and she generally bugged the hell out of me during the whole film.
The extras were fantastic, THE best extras I've seen yet on a DVD. There's a very long DVD intro from Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck, Jason Mews, and some other guy, and these guys feature in some hilarious scenes when they're trying to introduce the outtakes/deleted scenes, and the colour bars. There's also some mentions that Jay & Silent Bob will return in Dogma (which they do), and there's a lot of thanks towards the end of the credits. These are:
To all the critics that didn't like our last movie: "All is forgiven."
GOD - For all that's come before, all that'll come after,
and most importantly, for right now.
JOEY - For giving me something personal to say. I love you poopie.
(First one who laughs gets decked!)
SCOTT - Master of the Impossible, ying to my yang, heart of my heart... He's my cherry pie.
BEN - Outstanding. Outstanding, this guy.
JASON LEE - For kicking it Reynold's style.
DWIGHT - Hi Duh-Wight.
JAY - My little Mewes.
JON GORDON - Why, Why, Why?!?
MOM & DAD - I know I've got a PG in me somewhere.
JOHN PIERSON - Guru, Czar, friend.
DAVE - For the prettiest pictures yet. At bargain basement prices, no less!
BOB HAWK - For being there from the start, teaching us what makes a movie great, and always doing the dishes.
HARVEY - Who, like a good parent, gives us money, offers endless moral support, and spanks us when we need spanking (okay... everything but the spanking part).
MIKE ALLRED - For fulfilling this fanboy's dream. See you in the
funny papers.
THE CAST AND CREW - Who worked for nothing, yet gave everything.
MATT SEITZ - For the one review that made a difference.
BRIAN MACKEWICH AND BAM - For the extra mile... and the hundred more that followed.
I actually found this film very, very sad towards the end! As I normally say in this kind of reviews, I'm rooting for the couple to be together, and when it doesn't happen, I get quite tearful!
This is a great film, despite Joey Lauren Adams voice! It's quite funny, although some of the cut scenes would have been better off left IN! I have one minor quibble - Joey Lauren Adams looks totally different in the film to the front cover! Is that just me?

2.0 out of 5 stars Indie Romantic Comedy, Feb. 22 2004
This review is from: Chasing Amy [Import] (VHS Tape)
"Chasing Amy" starts off strongly with some funny scenes, but unfortunately it doesn`t seem to know where to go afterwards. The ideia of a heterosexual guy (Ben Affleck) falling in love with a lesbian (Joey Lauren Adams) is interesting and quirky enough, yet director Kevin Smith offers an uneven and flawed movie.
The premise is offbeat, but the execution isn`t as smart or clever as Smith thinks (like in most of his movies, by the way), in fact it`s really rather pedestrian, delivering a message with some moralism and preachiness. The overall result is unsurprising and predictable, even if the actors do their best and the dialogue is witty and credible. It has its moments, still the main message about sexual conflicts, although relevant, isn't told in a particular subtle or original way, since the approach could have gone further.
Smith tries to analyse this relationship with a mature perspective, but it doesn`t really convince and turns into an average chick flick.
At least "Chasing Amy" is better than "Dogma", given that it manages to deliver a couple of poignant and interesting scenes.
A decent rental, worth watching once.

3.0 out of 5 stars One-dimensional film-making, Feb. 1 2004
E. Homan "porkpiehat02" (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
I'll admit, writer/director Kevin Smith had me initially hooked in the first few scenes, with the "tracer" exchange, in particular. I was interested in the premise and was anxious to see how it would be developed. However, in my opinion, Smith threw away a great opportunity. Like in many of his films, Smith prefers to convey his message through tirades, diatribes, or not-so-subtle parables. The characters in Chasing Amy preach, ahem, "speak frankly" about hot topics, and Smith is subsequently praised a writing genius. I think it's just a lazy tactic on his part, an easy way to make sure that the theme of his movie is abundantly clear to everyone. Consequently, Smith relies on turning his characters into literal mouthpieces, and even stoops as low as to deliver the theme of the movie himself as Not-so-Silent Bob. I don't think it's honest, or even offensive; it's just a waste of resources. Chasing Amy isn't "about" a lesbian convert, as you may have heard... she's just the vehicle Smith uses to unilaterally declare: "love people for who they are, not for who they were."
Despite my previous comments, however, I still think it's a movie worth watching. I couldn't give it less than 3 stars because, after all, it was still pretty funny and I think the actors overall do a pretty decent job, particularly Joey Lauren Adams. There were a number of times when I laughed out loud. Furthermore, I like that Smith refused to compromise some of the more controversial aspects of the film.
Again, the script had a good premise and could have potentially yielded a compelling portrait of a normal relationship in rather unusual circumstances; however, in my opinion Smith has not yet learned to fully utilize his medium. Movies are one of the most versatile modern artistic forms; there are a myriad of tools at your disposal to convey your message, and the best filmmakers use them all effectively. I just think Smith relies too heavily on the script alone in Chasing Amy. This was fine for Clerks, which didn't take itself too seriously, but for as ambitious a project as Chasing Amy, it comes up short.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why did Silent Bob speak?, Jan. 7 2004
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
I found this movie very disappointing. First off, I've seen it advertised as a movie about a guy who falls in love with a lesbian more times than I can say, but I'm afraid that's just not what it is. It's an overly sentimental movie about a guy who falls in love with a girl who is confused about her sexual orientation. I guess I shouldn't be upset or offended that Alyssa wound up not being gay, since she basically represented lesbians in a stereotypical way that is so upsetting to me. She broke every moral code in the book at some point in her life. But that's not why the movie is bad.
The movie tries so hard to be something it's not. It wants to be deep and insightful, but the characters' supposedly insightful rants are nothing but rants. I had my hopes up for the scene during which Silent Bob would open his mouth, since it is assumed that he will have something to say worth listening to, but his story was just about as lame as all the others. I also did not buy the plot about Holden's friend being in love with him. Yes, the guy was a little homophobic and protective, but there simply was not enough evidence to support the theory that he was a repressed homosexual. Did Kevin Smith think that would make the movie more interesting? This is also the movie that made me lose faith in Ben Affleck's acting abilities. Ultimately, there are much more innovative romantic comedies out there. I would say that Mallrats was better, not because it was some fantastic movie, but because it wasn't overly ambitious. I'm just not seeing Kevin Smith as a director of a serious romantic comedy in general, because this movie takes itself way too seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Kevin Smith Film, Oct. 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import] (DVD)
I first saw Chasing Amy in my college's theater and was told that it was the sequel to Mallrats. I had no idea what that was or who Kevin Smith was - but when I saw it, I instantly recognized the genius of the writing. Smith has impressed me with Dogma and his works on Marvel Comics. But I believe Chasing Amy is his best film work ever.
The story, dialogue, and just how everything played out was truly beautiful, rare for love stories. I got the sense that it was real, not sappy, not pathetically romantic or predictable, as so many love stories are. The last love story I saw was How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days - hilarious film, but it was an amalgam of relationship generalities. Chasing Amy was not - it felt real. I learned later that the movie was based on Smith's former relationship with Joey Lauren Adams. I think Chasing Amy is a masterful work - a great story.
If you are looking for a movie that is real, a romance story that is real, or just a really good story - you have to watch this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow is this my life, Oct. 1 2003
bob (st. louis) - See all my reviews
Bob Pedroli
Movie Review
Chasing Amy 97
Sociology
Chasing Amy starts out with two hit comic strip creators Banky and Holden. Their gay friend Hooper introduces Holden to this good looking girl who also writes comic strips. Holden finds out Alyssa is a lesbian. Holden still peruses only acting to want to still be friends till one night he breaks it to her that he wants her, he can't live without her and he is in love with her. She however is a lesbian and feels obligated to the lesbian kind to reject his courtship initially. She stomps out of the explorer and up the street in the rain. Holden chases her and tells her how this all happened. She tells him to go home and then she chases him and the get together. Now Holden's partner Banky is getting mad at the whole situation of her being a lesbian. He tries to explaining once a lesbian always a lesbian. Holden can't agree with him yet because he is in love. Banky then comes to Holden with a story about Alyssa having sex with two guys at once. Holden confronts her at a public event and she flips out and tells him all of the bad things your boyfriend does not want to hear and admitting to the story. It is hard for Holden to take this all in at once and leaves the scene with Alyssa crying on the ground. So thought the whole plot Banky has had much animosity toward Alyssa for taking his best friend away. So Holden comes up with that they should all have a three some and looses both his girl friend and his best friend. In the end Holden sees Alyssa at a comic convention and shows her the comic he wrote about their whole situation called Chasing Amy.
The whole movie was a slapstick romantic comedy. It was funny and I recommend it to all who have not seen it yet. It has many plot turns and was well directed by Kevin Smith who also plays the role of Silent Bob. It is also past of a set of movies with names such as: Dogma, Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Chasing Amy (Criterion Collection) [Import]