5.0 out of 5 stars amazing
Published 12 months ago by Sorpse

3.0 out of 5 stars Welp.
The Bluray itself is everything I wanted and more. The condition of brand new case I ordered was not. All the edges were bent on the case and there was multiple dents and creases on it as well. As a collectors item I was not pleased.
Published 1 month ago by Tyler

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, July 14 2013
amazing how a movie this old can hold up and be so spectacular today. I loved this movie way more than I expected to. The animation is what impressed me as im sure it was with many other people. The stop motion is so fun to watch and since it was made in the 30's it works as an interesting period piece and Is fun to see how creative they had to be with their limited technology. Kong shaking people off a log to their death, fighting dinosaurs, holding onto his love, and of course climbing the empire state building are all super fun and interesting to watch. Ray Harryhausen in incredible and I really need to see more of his movies because this one and clash of the titans both blew me away. I can't wait to dive into more films like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars King Kong, March 14 2000
This review is from: King Kong (VHS Tape)
I felt that for a movie from the 1930's that the special effects were good. The movie is a favorite of my husbands and mine. I was actually very sorry to see Kong die.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real treasure, June 24 2014
A great show from a different time. Classic movie making, few films last this long. And those that do stand on their own. Timeless adventure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welp., June 20 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Raised the bar twelve feet higher in how movies are made..., Dec 19 2005
This is a classic movie that I enjoyed from the first few minutes. Although some consider it to be a mindless destroy-kill movie it is actually a very enjoyable love story with a good mix of action. The T-Rex fight was very well done along with the other fights. The island was very believable with the natives and all, and King Kong looked pretty cool and the SFX used to make him were very good, especially for a time like that.
The story goes at a good pace. It wasn't rushed and was very well done. Kong was made lovable throughout the movie and the connection between Ann Darrow (Fay Ray) and Kong was good.
My favorite scene in the film would have to be when Kong fought the Rex. It was cool and at the last part where he breaks the dinosaur's jaw and starts playing with it was funny and we had a bit of laughing aloud. (With my family.) The island was full od dinoaurs and it was pretty funny when the diplodacus (Is that how you spell it?) started eating people. I thought it was a herbivore! Very funny.
The main reason this film is such a classic is very simple. It was one of the first true horror films! I.E. when the film debuted and Kong's face was first shown, people cringed and screamed in the audience. That's the type of impact this film had on people and the way movies are made. The spark just sent the flame spinning through the air!
Five stars, a must have for any film collector.

3.0 out of 5 stars King Kong (1933), Aug. 7 2004
Jonathon Allsopp (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Kong (DVD)
The story is simple yet entertains throughout, from the discovery of the primitive tribe of Skull Island that worships Kong, to the kidnapping of beautiful Faye Wray, to the many perils faced by the men who are pursuing the great ape through the jungle, and finally to Kong's destructive rampage through New York City. The final scenes atop the empire state building are awesome with the city spread out below and the camera taking the point-of-view of the biplanes zooming towards the giant ape. Truly astounding special effects for such an old movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Kong, Nov. 5 2010
This is a movie that will never be topped. It's just as much a thrill to see as when I saw it fifty years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fay Wray monkeys around, July 9 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The basic story is of Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong), who makes those cute little animal pictures that are going out of style. If he wants to stay in business he must add a female interest and some excitement. Circumstances forcing him to leave port quickly, he meets a girl Ann Darrow (Fay Wray), that is down on her luck and convinces her that he will make her a star (on the up and up).

Things get complicated as you know it is bad luck to bring a woman onboard a freighter. And Ann really stirs them up including the first mate, Jack Driscoll (Bruce Cabot). On top of this she has a large date awaiting her at Skull Island.

I will not tell the rest of the story just incase you are one of the few that has missed the movie. But as you have guessed it includes a big ape named KONG. Not that cheesy thing that is always tussling around in Japanese movies, but a much more convincing Kong that can show great emotion.

You are about to watch the eight wonder of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fay Wray monkeys around, July 3 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: King Kong (DVD)

You are about to watch the eight wonder of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars What really happened to the 2nd Avenue el!, July 13 2004
Rocco Dormarunno (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Kong [Import] (VHS Tape)
Interpretations--psychological, anthropological, social, evolutionary, racial--abound about 1933's KING KONG. "King Kong is about our inner animal of rage", "King Kong is a critique of man in modern urban times", "King Kong is about technology killing our true nature..." Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
PUH-LEASE! KING KONG is simply a great story, perfectly directed, with the best animation techniques for its time. While the acting (by humans) is admittedly the weakest link in this film, it has so much else going for it, like suspense, horror, pathos, love, and tragedy. King Kong, the animal, is complex and there are different emotions we experience about him. We don't like him when he gobbles up people or smashes the 2nd Avenue el (an incredible scene!). We admire him for trying to save Fay Wray from the flashbulbs. And we feel incredibly sad when he's killed. Why? I think it's because we see him as a human, at least of having human qualities. But to extend that to some deeper, intellectual level is pointless. It's just an amazing film.
Last comment: The film also has some humor. As a New Yorker, I love the dialogue between the two women at the theater, waiting to see King Kong.
Girl one: "Hey, what's this show about, anyway?"
Girl two: "I don't know. Some big gorilla."
Girl one: (after a clod accidentally steps on her toe): "Aw. Ain't we got enough of them in New Yawk?"
I can't get enough of this classic film.

King Kong
King Kong by Peter Jackson (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 21.49