5.0 out of 5 stars An animated epic
Published on June 25 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars How Could Disney Do This?
I agree with the comments below: I have been eagerly awaiting the DVD of this movie. I have the Japanese version on videotape, and I wasn't crazy about the dubbing in the American version, but I wanted to pre-order the DVD on the (mistaken) assumption that I'd get both the Japanese version and the American version, plus perhaps a Japanese version with English...
Published on March 27 2000 by Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars An animated epic, June 25 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Princess Mononoke (DVD)
While Disney is regurgitating the same old formula year afer year and training us for the expected, what are the filmmakers doing over in Japan? They're simply turning out the most creative tales, jawdropping visuals and (especially in Miyazaki's films) the imaginitive UNexpected that animation has ever seen. After growing up spoon-fed with Disney, what I've seen of Miyazaki has effectively hit me over the head with a steel beam.
"Princess Mononoke" is absolutely an animated epic. I really think that "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" (with their epic journeys, warring factions and unknown lands) had a strong influence on this film, and they give you a good idea of the general plot and feel. Then, throw in samurais and a big helping of Japanese myth (which really isn't any more objectionable to western religion than our own Mother Earth myth, if this is a concern for you). Beyond any feel or ingredients list, though, is an awesomely complex and creative storyline, the like of which I've never seen before in an animated film. I belive that this film is so good that it could easily stand being done in live action and could be huge on the scale of a LoTR movie (no joke). Princess Mononoke just "happens" to be done in animation.
Princess Mononoke really blew me away. I've never been a fan of Japanese animation, but I'm becoming a fan of Miyazaki. The difference is in the story and the creativity. I highly recommend Princess Mononoke to everyone, but especially to the average moviegoer who needs convincing to try it out. The only folks I'd like to warn are those who have a tendency to think or say "this is weird" 20 minutes into a film and give up on it. You have to have a little bit more of an open mind than Disney would like us to have. You'll be rewarded if you closely follow the film and have that open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, english dub a little quiet, May 5 2012
This is a fantastic movie. Lots of action, likeable characters, great music, the list goes on. The only problem I had with it was that the English voices were somewhat quiet at times, but if you've got good hearing, or you prefer subtitles, that won't be a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie, Feb. 2 2012
This is a must see for an movie enthusiast especially if you like animated films. The artwork is captivating and moving. Hayao Miyazaki is a true artist with fantastic stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See!, Feb. 26 2011
I've watched anime shows for a little while now, but not very many anime movies. So I went and looked up a list of the best ones and randomly picked Princess Mononoke. I would not be disappointed. This movie, like all Miyakaki movies, is absolutely stellar. There are no cookie cutter bad guys, everyone make choices for their own reasons. The characters are well developed and relatable. The animation is gorgeous, and the music by Joe Hisaishi is haunting and beautiful. Do yourself a favor and buy this film, or at least watch it somewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful treat - a visually stunning adventure, March 31 2003
Craig Matteson (Saline, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Princess Mononoke (DVD)
This evening I sat with my son and watched this wonderful movie once again. I think it is a stunning story, is a visual wonder, and has very attractive music. The movie is so rich that you can pick up new details and poetic points with each new viewing.
While the English voice over actors are quite good, I do recommend a viewing or two with the Japanese voices and English subtitles. I don't speak Japanese, but the characterization of THOSE voices adds a lot to the story and the English subtitles are a bit different than the voice over.
The creatures come, I suspect, from Japanese myth and are very different than anything I have experienced in Western myth. It is quite wonderful. There are powerful and disturbing images that might not be suitable for very young children, but there is no gore for gore's sake. But the way the creatures become demons is very powerful and intense.
I am glad to own this disk and suspect you would enjoy it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A majestic, passionate, eloquent homage to the Earth., Jan. 27 2003
Tom Knapp "Rambles.NET editor" (Lancaster, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The artwork of this film is astonishing. Set primarily in the forests of ancient Japan, the scenery is lush with life, vivid with depth and detail. The scenery is in some cases so gorgeous it will take your breath away.
But the story, too, stands out from the crowd. Written by Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki and adapted into English by writer Neil Gaiman, Princess Mononoke is the story Ferngully wanted to be. It tells of a great clash between humans and nature, with the animal gods and forest spirits rallying to stave off encroaching devasation. The archetypal figures, such as the Night Walker, are magnificent, but there are also the smaller gods and fey beings for a lighter touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3 2014
Best movie Papas ever seen

5.0 out of 5 stars Miyazaki at his best, Feb. 3 2014
Love it. This to me is classic Miyazaki. This movie completely captured my attention, and made me love this artists works. A masterpiece!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, decent DVD, Sept. 2 2013
Was exactly as I expected: a great movie on DVD, in a generic case made cheap enough to be sold at the price it's being sold at.

5.0 out of 5 stars For gratitude from Japan, April 9 2013
Thank you very much.
I really appreciated shipping to Japan. I'm so glad to get it.
Especially, I love this movie in the Studio Ghibli animation.

Princess Mononoke