Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

on December 5, 2014
dun da dunnn da, dun da duhh.
The only music that has more vivid emotional ties is the theme to JAWS.
Anyway, Our family LOVES all the Harrison Ford Indiana Jones movies. They are thrilling, interesting, timeless movies with good clean language. They are classics and our definitely a part of our home movie collection. They offer an appreciation for books, history, learning, museums and that you do not have to be swearing or "twerking" to be cool. We watch one of Indies movies weekly and they never get old.
on September 11, 2014
love it thx
on February 3, 2013
It got here quit and in perfect condition! Worth every dollar and the bonus disc was full of behind the scene footage!
on November 15, 2009
I already knew about the Indiana Jones movies and just wanted to have the collection home to watch it once more. Even though it was made some time ago, the story and humor of the movies are still appealing to young kids.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Just received the set and, much to my chagrin, noticed it didn't include many special features or commentary of any sort. If I had known I would have purchased the other set, but now I'm stuck with what I've got. Make sure you know what you're getting!
on December 28, 2007
How can one not love Indiana Jones? The guy is brilliant, tough, not afraid to get his hands dirty, he doesn't mind shooting the bad guy rather than just delivering him to justice and he's a hit with the ladies. I liked the Indiana Jones movies when I was a kid, but you really can't appreciate how good they are until you've had about a decade or so of real movie watching; I mean after giving up the cartoons. Each story just gets better; Raiders of the Lost Ark is great, but a little slow, The Temple of Doom is even better than Raiders and The Last Crusade - well, Sean Connery is in it, what more do I need to say? If you're even a bit of a movie buff and liked these films as a kid, buy them and watch them. When your kids are old enough to watch this trilogy, make them watch it, because it's a blast.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Everyone is going to have a favorite film. However these work well as a set and are worth the purchase. And the extra goodies or special features of the set add to the experience.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

This is the first in a series of fun to watch action packed movies based on what an archeologist should be. Being a first you will not notice the pattern of the film unless you are used to Saturday matinees.

We hit the deck running on this one as we see Indiana Jones making a John Wayne type of entrance. So much that you do not notice the dubious looking character next to him Statipo (Alfred Molina). Until he says "Give me the Idle and I will give you the whip."

Now settled down, after his near miss with the natives, Harrison Ford is a professor (Indiana Jones) teaching the fact that archeology is a search for facts not some thrill ride.

That very afternoon he is confronted by some government agents. It seems that his old professor Abner Ravenwood has disappeared. They picked up some radio transmissions that contained the name of Abner and a city Tannis. Immediately Indiana Jones knows that the Nazis (natural bad buys) are looking for the Ark of the Covenant (which can be used as a weapon of unspeakable power) and somehow he must bet them to it for the sake of the world.

He is helped by an old love interest Marion (Karen Allen) and rivaled by an old nemesis Dr. Rene Belloq (Paul Freeman).

Does it really exist?

How can he beat them to it?

Why is he on the outs with Abner?

Hold on for a thrill a minute and don't eat any bad dates.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

The "now standard Indiana" formula is there and there are a lot of fun parts to this movie. However the bad guys are too bad and the situation is too spooky. Be sure to watch "Riders of the Lost Ark" first even thought this takes place chronologically earlier.

Once again James Bond has nothing on Dr. Jones (Harrison Ford) as he negotiates for a treasure and is double crossed at every turn, barely escaping with his life, also the acquisition of a steriotipical blond singer Wilhelmina Scott (Kate Capshaw), and his new sidekick Short Round (Jonathan Ke Quan).

In his hasty retreat he does not realize that there are greater forces at work insuring that he fulfill his destiny to recover a sacred object and all the children of a beleaguered village.

Is he up to the challenge?

In this case does being blond help or hinder?

Will Short Shot prove that size does not matter?

Take heart!

Be prepared for a dark passage "a little too dark for my taste".

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

It may just be coincidence but this time Harrison Ford that was a carpenter is not Dr. Indiana Jones (Junior) and his last crusade (until the next film) is to obtain a cup of a carpenter.

Even though this film can stand on its own, it can be more fully understood if you watch "Raiders of the lost Ark" first.

Once again we start out with a young Jones trying to save an artifact from pillagers. This lets us know of his heroic energy and introduces his father Professor Henry Jones (Sean Connery) and his obsession with the Holy Grail, even to the exclusion of his relationship with Junior.

Now grown Dr. Indiana Jones gives a class and explains that Archeology is a pretty strait forward science and not some search for legends. He receives a mysterious piece of post.

He is then approached by group of rich people that are in search of the Grail. It turns out that their top researcher has disappeared. Yep it is Professor Henry Jones. What can Indiana do but go looking for his father. He is accounted by his best friend who runs a museum Dr. Marcus Brody (Denholm Elliottt) as they team up with the last person to see his father Dr. Elsa Schneider (Alison Doody.) He gets a final warning "Do not trust anybody."

Will he find his father?

If he dies what will they have to talk about?

Does the Grail really exist?

Who are the mysterious people following him?

One of my favorite scenes is where Dr. Jones disguised in a German uniform bumps into Hitler (Michael Sheard of Star Wars fame).

Have fun watching this great film with the banter between Hennery and Junior. And remember "do not trust anybody."
on July 15, 2004
Indiana Jones has been one of my fave series of movies since I was little. Raiders of the Lost Ark is so great, it's so exciting and I really liked the female lead. I always had a crush on Indiana, and the movies have a great blend of humor, action and adventure. Last Crusade is also excellent, I love Indy's scenes with his father, they're so funny together. I really love the opening scene too, with the late River Phoenix (who was extremely talented, check him out in Stand By Me as a boy). It shows how Indiana became afraid of snakes and how an old rivalry started. Temple of Doom is my least favorite Indiana movie, Kate Capshaw wasn't my fave of the girls and it was kind of strange but I'd still rewatch it, just not as much as the other two. To tell the truth, even if there were commentaries and stuff, I wouldn't listen to them. Sometimes extras are really cool to me and sometimes they aren't, and for most movies I don't really care why the director lit a scene the way he did, or what an actor thinks of how he said his line. These movies are grea and stand on their own. I have the bonus disc though, not the one in the set but the other one that was taped outside the package. I'm not sure but I heard they aren't being sold that way anymore.
on July 11, 2004
I'm not much of a fan of "Temple Of Doom", but I think "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade" are excellent. The 4th disc contains extras like trailers and documentaries (which are really well done -- check out Alfred Molina, the guy with the spiders in "Raiders": funny guy, and now he's Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2). The films all look very good and the packaging is nice as well. It would be nice to have commentaries for the films, but from what I hear Spielberg doesn't like to do them, and they would've just repeated what was in the documentaries on disc 4. Great set, highly recommended.
on July 3, 2004
Far be it for me to presume to evaluate these films. They are seared into my consciousness, as the first was released in 1982, when I was but a wee lad of 12. Harrison Ford and George Lucas were at the heights of their popularities in the midst of Star Wars, and Spielberg was rapidly closing (soon to top the A-list of Hollywood directors). With such a pedigree, it's surprising that Raiders of the Lost Ark did not disappoint. Instead, it remains the gold standard of action movies - fast paced and fun, with wall-to-wall stunts, all the more impressive pre-CGI.
I will, however, make a comment on my impressions upon watching these films again after having purchased the DVD set. The prints are crisp and clean, the sound is clear, and overall the films look and sound fantastic. As for the content - Raiders and Last Crusade are still highly enjoyable. Compared to more recent action series (e.g. the Batman films, the Terminator films), you'll find the Indy movies are more exciting and more fun. Unfortunately, Temple of Doom, which was not well-received even when it was first released, did not age well. The overall feel is ponderous, Kate Capshaw is given little to do but scream, and the action set-pieces border on the rediculous.
Unfortunately, we've waited years for these films to come out in this format, and we expected loads of extras - if not on the Lord of the Rings level, at least on the Star Wars (Episodes I and II) level. This set does not deliver - there are no cut scenes, no footage of premiers or awards ceremonies, no original promotional materials (other than theatrical trailers), etc. There are a few documentaries, which are mostly "making of" features filmed on and around the sets of the films, with some modern interviews/reflections from Lucas, Ford, Speilberg, Ben Burtt, John Williams, and many more. These docs are fantastic - well-written, interesting, and at several hours, very satisfying. But still, having waited 10 years for DVD versions of these films, I would have been willing to wait a few more years to get more of the extras I want. I hope the Star Wars set due out in the fall is more complete!